PDA

View Full Version : IC Thread: Behave and Beheld [5E]

Pages : [1] 2

TriciaOso
2022-05-16, 09:47 AM
[OOC (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?645835-OOC-Behave-and-Beheld&p=25460742#post25460742)]

B'Xenon has always thought itself advanced; There are spelljammer-style ships that move between the planets, wireless communication, entertainment broadcasts and factories. They have recently made contact with the wider multiverse, and there is some culture shock happening. Magic was ubiquitous but not that important -- it used to be that the sun produced an anti-magic field during the day (for planets that weren't tidally locked), but that ended when the capsule was punctured. Everything is changing.

Traditionally, B'Xenon was atheistic, with a fervent, xenophobic belief in Oblivion. Now there are new local gods (the deified outsiders who punctured the capsule around the world) and a bit of a landrush of gods with a multiversal presence trying to get a foot in the door. So far, Bahamut has the lead, but fey presences are spreading everywhere, like mildew under the tiles.

Once B'Xenon bristled with police forces, none of them trusting each other, their goals in conflict, each claiming absolute authority but actually wielding exactly as much power as they could scrape together. Now it's the same, except with revolutionary sects.

There's the worshipful dragonknights, the soft-hearted Illarians, the ruthless grease-goblins, the libertines of the Satyr League, and a million nameless groups of suddenly-empowered Beheld trying to figure out who to trust and how to exercise their powers. Many of them are caught and viciously suppressed, but the military is shattered, the police are overextended, and every dead revolutionary seems to birth ten more.

It rains all the time on B'Nxam. It didn't use to; people used to pray for cloudy skies, to hide them from the prying eyes of the Panoptica scrying down from their bases on the moon. It's just that some time recently, those prayers started being answered. Concealment rains down, greasy with fey magic. Intermittently the scarred face of the moon peeps through, and the traffic in the streets freezes or dives under cover, hiding from the moonlight.

At the end of this street is a warehouse; a repository where the endless paperwork of the bureaucratic state goes to rot. But tonight this papercrypt is the temporary home of yet another revolutionary cell: yours.

Knock on the door. Present the password. Pray this isn't another trap or another social club for cowards who like to talk and never do. The revolution has been going on for months now. But for you... the revolution begins tonight, in the pouring rain.

Seramus
2022-05-17, 03:03 AM
M'alax the Silent (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2628957) glides "casually" beneath the pergola of the warehouse, pressing as close to the door as possible to escape the chilling rain driving down upon him. The rapid thump, thump, thump of telekinesis sounds against the door, and his lipless maw puts together the password he was taught two days ago.

"Violet eyes see violent ends."

That was the password, right? Some other beheld are floating down the street. Keep it cool. They might be here for the same reason as you, or just going about their business. What's taking so long? Did he need to say it louder?

He hangs there awkwardly, his (armless) black trenchcoat guiding most of the rain around his pale orb, until the water gathers together and drips beneath him like a dog wetting itself. A flesh-tone pink chitin brow scrunches down in consternation, even as his eyestocks droop down to keep the water out of them.

"...Anybody home?"

Thrasymedes
2022-05-17, 06:34 AM
B'Xli (https://www.dndbeyond.com/characters/73488497) glanced up then continued floating directly down the center of the street as the rain began to fall. He knew that his backpack would prevent his tools from rusting and aside from that, the rain posed no threat to him.

So I should have kept the coat on top after all. Oh well, new area new rules. It won't undue my being wet so no reason to change it now. Next time I will attach it to my pack so it is available or just worn it.

As he approached the door while becoming increasingly soaked, he saw another beheld lurking next to it:

Is he one of the arrangers? An informer? An organizer.

Lacking any other option he "casually" approached the door next to the trench-coated other and "knocked" firmly with his Mage Hand while commenting loudly:

"You may want to work on that blush, I have always felt that Crimson expressions mask crinkled eyes.

Inwardly, he braced himself for the consequences and immediately began studying the awning to see if there were any leaks, or visible joints in a desperate attempt to keep the foremost thought in his mind something other than:

Well, now I find out how on the level this was.

Sirithhyando
2022-05-17, 06:58 AM
Brak'ma Xis, splatter painter extraordinaire (https://ddb.ac/characters/73362476/Cu88l6)
Lawful Evil Beheld barbarian, path of the battlerager /
STR 17, DEX 15, CON 16, INT 8, WIS 8, CHA 8/
AC 15, HP 35/35, INI +2 | Senses (passive): Perception 11, Investigation 11, Insight 9
Save :STR +5, DEX +2, CON +5, INT -1, WIS -1, CHA -1/
Special : ADV on save vs spells and magical effect; ADV on dex vs effects that i can see (while not blind/deaf/incapacitated)
Rage : 3/3 (activation : Bonus action/ Reset on long rest)

Stealthy! Stealth was his only thought as he wasn't one for subtility.
Of course his smooth purple skin alone clashed with the decor, but his weapons tingling on every hard surface wasn't helping.
Every inches of his being was as quiet as a rusty door being opened for the first time in centuries.
Brak'ma arrived in front of the rendez-vous building but realised something and mumbled "What was I suppose to do once i got here?"
He stayed right in front of the door for a good minute without budging, at least this time noise wasn't a problem for his stealth. Brak'ma smiled at the thought.
"Screw the password"
He started knocking violently on the door so someone would answer anyway.

Seramus
2022-05-17, 08:31 AM
M'alax slowly spins around in the air until he faces B'Xli, and the thunderously loud Brak'ma. Was that a different password, or was this person offering makeup advice? Well, he should play along just in case. So, with a kind of masculine stoicism, he utters the words...

"I was worried too much foundation would ruin in all this rain, but it's good advice. Thank you."

Wow. That guy was really going to town on the door!

TriciaOso
2022-05-17, 08:42 AM
The door is wrenched open violently by a green Beheld with an irritated expression; at least, the slice of expression through the door is irritated, The rest of it is probably similar.

"Keep it down, will ya!?" His eye rolls from right to left. "Well, one of you three knew the password, so if one of you is a traitor we're already screwed. Just get in here and keep it down."

He pulls away from the door and allows you to enter. In addition to his green skin he has tiny little horns, hinting at mixed N'ban and N'Xenian heritage... a little bit of cranky from the greasegoblin side, a little bit of drama from the Dreamer side.

"I'm W'zwzxi. We're waiting for a couple of others, hopefully..."

Sirithhyando
2022-05-17, 10:20 AM
Brak'ma Xis, splatter painter extraordinaire (https://ddb.ac/characters/73362476/Cu88l6)
AC 15, HP 35/35, INI +2 | Senses (passive): Perception 11, Investigation 11, Insight 9
Special : ADV on save vs spells and magical effect; ADV on dex vs effects that i can see (while not blind/deaf/incapacitated)

Seemingly happy that the door opened, Brak'ma entered "Do not be flustered my friend W'xi, there was a door in the way, it isn't anymore. What do you want kept down? I can help you with that"
Brak'ma took a moment of reflexion "That's not it, W'grri..." It slapped its cheek, its turn to be flustered "I'll call you Xi instead, you talked about a traitor? You found it, I thought I was here because I'm a traitor to the police, no?"
Thinking again and with a thunderous laugh it continued while going furthur inside "I'll leave the thinking to others, too much trouble, hurt the head you see!"

clash
2022-05-17, 10:59 AM
"Hold the door" Red calls out gliding towards the group. "I don't want to miss out on all the fun" Rex is large for a beheld hovering at least 6 inches above the others.

He quickly shuffles up to the door. "Um password, password. Would you believe I left it in my other suit?" he asks shrugging.

Thrasymedes
2022-05-17, 11:10 AM
B'Xli (https://www.dndbeyond.com/characters/73488497) shuddered in response to the initial Beheld.

How do I continue a conversation I know absolutely nothing about?!

Fortunately he was saved from having to answer by the interruption of the door being opened but the statements by their host flummoxed him yet more:

Was my recruiter the traitor? Was this a test? I have no way of knowing now but will have to be more observant in future...perhaps refrain from analyzing the construction of the table since it may be possible I misremembered it...or not.

"Xi...yes, that will be my name. I see that the door is now open."

He quickly followed the garrulous painter inside and away from prying ears.

"I find I did not catch your name (or anyone else's), how do you wish to be addressed, Spiky One?"

Upon hearing the inquiry from red he stopped in shock then continued while reminding himself.

I am in over my head...all of my possible companions are so skilled at appearing incompetent they must be masters of deception. I will have to improve my efforts.

Seramus
2022-05-17, 11:44 AM
M'alax floats in through the door with the rest of the crowd, using a bit of telekinesis to rustle his trenchcoat and shed some of the water once they were all inside and out of the rain. A quick spin sends fabric and droplets fluttering!

"Sooo... I think most of us are here to discuss The Truth. And do something about it. Am I right?"

A simple question, but he gives each of these strange fellows a scrutinizing eyeball. The new guy left his password in his other suit? Can he be trusted with sensitive information in the future? No matter. He had to trust somebody eventually. He had tried going it alone for a while, and it just didn't work. He needed people. Maybe them. Let's give it a shot.

clash
2022-05-17, 12:01 PM
Rex takes in the others with mild interest. If these were to be his team then he should at least try to get to know them. Honestly though he just wanted to know when he could start shooting.

"The name's Rex. Can't say I really care about discussing the truth so much as doing something about it. I've been itching to get to work since I had my... Let's call it a disagreement with the military"

Sirithhyando
2022-05-17, 12:08 PM

Brak'ma started juggling with its doublescimitar, its attention seeming elsewhere though it answered "You can call me Brak'ma my little appetizer and as Rex just said, doing something about it is what i'm here for. Chaos is only beautiful on a canvas, i'm tired of it in real life and though not that bright i may be, i'm not stupid enough to think i can change anything alone"

sandmote
2022-05-18, 09:00 AM
A beheld watches the others walk up from an alley across the street. When they appear to have been let in safely he checks some paperwork before floating up. Shrugging, he puts it away, then knocks. "Was told 'Scarlet splatters leave no Sight,' but I think someone's been running me for a joke. 'Cided I might as well show up; who with connections stoops to this stuff?"

TriciaOso
2022-05-18, 10:58 AM
As soon as Ag'zear arrives, W'zwzxi shuts and bolts the door with his telekinesis, showing the long-distance fine control characteristic of N'bu.

"All right, that's everybody we were expecting," he says. "So. You guys are interested in doing what you can to stick a finger in the eye of the Panoptica. Great."

"I've got a mission looking for guys just like that. All the way from the top -- from Commander M'Ta himself." He speaks the name of a Beheld commander who turned against the government when their plan to bomb the afterlife turned sideways and almost killed everyone, then assisted the Outsiders in shattering the capsule around the system. He's become a bit of a legend as a revolutionary leader, operating from his command ship, moving around the system like a shadow.

(You can make an insight check to determine if this guy has ever been in quinting distance of Commander M'Ta.)

Sirithhyando
2022-05-18, 12:02 PM

Brak'ma looked behind, curious at the door. You're not getting the better of me next time!

"I'm certainly not one for waiting, my brushes are going to paint the way toward a better future!"

Brak'ma stormed toward the door but stop a few feet from it, coming back where it was. "Forgot the mission... what was it already mr Xi?"

Seramus
2022-05-18, 12:07 PM
This Wizwizni figure doesn't seem to be lying. At least, he seems to think he's telling the truth. Does that mean... could that mean... A small explosion of joy swells up inside the equally small M'qa, and he blurts out a little too eagerly.

"Commander M'Ta? They... they're a legend! And yes, I'm willing to do whatever it takes to stop the people who... lied to me for so long. If this mission is important to M'Ta, then it's important to me."

The trenchcoat wearing ball of chitin utters this with the determination of someone who might have something personal at stake. Then he slowly spins in place, his eyestalks searching the expressions of those that came in the door with him. Were they willing to do what it takes?

clash
2022-05-18, 01:43 PM
Rex was looking the sounds of this. A mission from the legendary commander M'Ta. From what he knew of M'Ta that guy knew how to have fun. He could use a mission of that scale. "So what kind of mission do does the commander have for us? Who do we get to gun down? My eyeball had been itching for action"

He could feel the anticipation rising. He just needed a target and he was ready to go.

Thrasymedes
2022-05-18, 02:07 PM
B'Xli (https://www.dndbeyond.com/characters/73488497) winced when W'zwzxi named Commander M'Ta. He had already decided he was in and names being dropped just made them more vulnerable and himself more of a target.

He turned to Brak'ma (who fortunately had not yet opened the door) and frantically searched for a way to keep him occupied and not in the street...of course.

"Good sir, he has not yet given us the mission. I believe he is giving you the opportunity to immortalize this first missions award in a painting (with faces suitably obscured)."

Returning his attention to W'Zwzxi he focused on him closely:

"I would also welcome the opportunity to get engaged. Where and when do we need to go?"

sandmote
2022-05-19, 05:15 AM
Ag'zear grimaces. "Hey; if the Panoptica is willing to stick it in our eye then fair's fair. If we could get the details sorted out?"

Sirithhyando
2022-05-19, 06:47 AM

Yes, Brak'ma is eventually going to call everyone Xi, its not going to try pronouncing Xli, but if you insist, its going to try :smallwink:

Giddy, Brak'ma took its place a little furthur to get a good picture for future painting. "You're absolutly right! I need to focus and immortalize this moment!"

TriciaOso
2022-05-19, 08:54 AM
W'zwzxi looks around the room at his troops. "Okay. As you may have heard, B'nxam is under an interdict by the Rebel Navy. That means their power center on the moon is being supplied strictly from the surface."

"We've been able to identify one of their major supply depots, not far outside of the city, and a big shipment is scheduled soon. If we can destroy or compromise these supplies, it would be a huge coup for us. We can starve the bastards out -- they can't spy on us from up there without food, water, air... and there is technical equipment they use for their scrying, too. Not to mention the spelljammer shuttles, those are expensive to replace or repair."

"It would be best if we could infiltrate the depot and secretly damage or ruin the supplies. That way they waste the time and fuel taking useless crates up to the lunar base and can't replace them until it's too late. But outright destroying the supplies is a good consolation prize."

"I recommend the less stealthy folks start a decoy attack -- draw attention away from the supplies so the sneaks can get inside, then 'retreat.' But if things get out of hand," he bobs slightly, a Beheld shrug. "Kill 'em all and burn it down."

Thrasymedes
2022-05-19, 09:26 AM
No worries. He actually prefers to be addressed as Mr. Xi since it means that he is less likely to be accidentally identified in front of someone else who survives and could turn him in.

B'Xli aka Mr Xi (https://www.dndbeyond.com/characters/73488497) (aka the great poohbar) grinned as his eyestalks began twitching:

"What types of supplies are we discussing? Food? Fuel? Parts? Munitions? Items?"

He visibly tried to calm himself then continued:

"This is going to be fun. Do you have a map or any other information about the depot? How far it is from here, how many guards have been seen there, if there is any equipment that we should borrow etc?

He glanced around and shrugged at the observation regarding stealth:

"As near as I can tell, two of us look fairly stealthy and only one looks decidedly not so. Also, I may be able to assist some with that aspect if we can wait until tomorrow...depending on how soon the supplies will be sent."

Sirithhyando
2022-05-19, 09:57 AM

Brak'ma positionned itself upright its eyestalk saluting "Yes sir! It shall be destroyed!"
It turned toward the door and rushed at it, turning toward the others "Hum... just so i'm sure i understand, I'm the stealth and you're the diversion, right? And who would take the lead in this operation? Xl...Li...XL..." sigh "Mr. Xi already seems to know what he's doing, i'm not sure i would've thought of asking where the warehouse is, he's brilliant!"

Seramus
2022-05-19, 11:24 AM
M'alax floats around beside B'Xli as they rattle off their questions, and he nods along intently.

"I don't know anything about spoiling munitions or parts, but I can help spoil the food and air supplies. We can put something in several of the foodstuffs, and break the sterilization for the rest. That way some of them get sick, and they get real paranoid about the rest also making them sick. They won't know what's been tampered with, and might have to waste weeks sorting it out!"

He spins around slowly, eyestalks staring into empty space the way anyone does when they are deep in thought.

"We'll need a pressure pump to put things in the air. Completely empty some, and put sulfur stink in the rest? Same idea. Oh, and we can use a little paintbrush and paint the dials to look like they still have air in them."

clash
2022-05-19, 12:27 PM
Rex mulled over the plan a bit in his head. He had done stealth missions for the military I'm his training and he wasn't bad at it. They tended not too see very much action though. If they intended to get in and out without being noticed then he could count action out entirely.

"I volunteer for the diversion team. I can do stealth if you really need it just seems kinda dry to me."

He shrugged Honestly, he was good at following orders... Until he didn't.

Thrasymedes
2022-05-19, 05:14 PM
B'Xli (https://www.dndbeyond.com/characters/73488497), Shipwright
Chaotic Neutral Beheld Wildfire Druid
STR 12, DEX 14, CON 14, INT 12, WIS 16, CHA 8/
AC 15, HP 24/24, INI +2 | Senses (passive): Perception 15, Investigation 11, Insight 13
Save :STR +1, DEX +2, CON +2, INT 3, WIS 5, CHA -1/
Special : ADV on save vs spells and magical effects
Wild Shape/Wildfire Spirit: 2/2 activation : Action/

The druid pauses at the responses of the monk and warlock then responds appearing to try and force himself to pause and consider as he speaks:

"Those are aspects I had not even considered Shadowy Malicious One...Mal I guess and suspect would be very effective."

Turning to Rex he continued:

"I was inclined towards trying to avoid all need for a diversion as anytime you cause trouble, guards come fairly soon thereafter to check limiting time available. I had hoped to utilize members' knowledge of shipping practices, knowledge of government practices, ability to camouflage the group, ability to insert toxins while mending tears, ability to forge swap and repaint labels to swap destinations or contents, ability to spoil using heat and other skills."

He scans across the group as he names off these desired features then bobs in a shrug:

"So that is my vote. It appears that Shooter? is voting for a diversion squad and an entry team. If we do a split team, I would ask to be on the entry team, likely with Mal. Oh, I can also go by Xi if desired as it is close enough to my name or Sparky if you prefer."

TriciaOso
2022-05-20, 08:52 AM
W'zwzxi replies to the questions each in turn:

"What types of supplies are we discussing? Food? Fuel? Parts? Munitions? Items?"

"A little bit of everything. This is their monthly supply run, so it should be mostly routine re-stocks of the essentials. They've had to hold off the blockade, so there should be munitions for the surface-to-space cannon in there; any needed parts or fuel for their scrying magitek; and of course food, water and air."

"This is going to be fun. Do you have a map or any other information about the depot? How far it is from here, how many guards have been seen there, if there is any equipment that we should borrow etc?

"Yes, other cells have done that information gathering work already. The depot isn't that complex, it's mostly a big warehouse with a small shuttlepad attached to one side. It looks like no more than five guards patrol the grounds. I can supply transport to take you there."

"Also, I may be able to assist some with that aspect if we can wait until tomorrow...depending on how soon the supplies will be sent."

"We have a little time, but not a lot... I recommend you gather your supplies and make any arrangements you need to tonight, then act tomorrow."

"And who would take the lead in this operation?"

"You can assign whoever you want the lead within your cell. Our goal is a less hierarchical world, we don't want to micromanage your affairs."

"I was inclined towards trying to avoid all need for a diversion as anytime you cause trouble, guards come fairly soon thereafter to check limiting time available. I had hoped to utilize members' knowledge of shipping practices, knowledge of government practices, ability to camouflage the group, ability to insert toxins while mending tears, ability to forge swap and repaint labels to swap destinations or contents, ability to spoil using heat and other skills."

"You're not wrong. But if you bet it all on a stealth mission and the guards do find you, then they definitely know we've tampered with their goods. A diversion allows them to feel like they repulsed the attack, but they never find out about the stealth group. It's a way of hedging your bets. It's up to you."

sandmote
2022-05-20, 08:58 AM
At the mention of painting on dials, Ag'zear bobs himself. "If we know what the dials look like, preprepared covers will be quicker to apply and look better than paint. I ask because I might be able to whip some up. But count me in the diversion team when we start acting."

After a moment's pause he continues. "I wish we did have time to swap out some of the supplies and find a...poor family...we could offer the food too. Oh well, I suppose."

Seramus
2022-05-20, 12:55 PM
M'alax allows a broad toothy smile to fill his torso as Ag'zear offers an even better idea.

"That's perfect. And who knows, maybe we can swap some shipping manifests and send junk to the moon and needed supplies somewhere else where they can be easily taken. I dont know if they even ship to multiple places, or just to the moon, but we can do it if the opportunity presents!"

"I'm ready to start prepping if everyone else is."

The little beheld was, perhaps, overly optimistic.

Thrasymedes
2022-05-20, 03:49 PM
B'Xli (https://www.dndbeyond.com/characters/73488497), Shipwright
AC 15, HP 24/24, INI +2 | Senses (passive): Perception 15, Investigation 11, Insight 13

"It sounds like we are planning on a split party then with three on infiltration and two on diversion. If you have any vials or areas to secure them I am looking to stock up on about 10 to take with me along with some oil and possibly pitons. Other than that, I will need to get some rest and desire to pay a final visit to the sewers before we go in the morning to collect some samples. Other than that, I am ready. Do any of you wish to visit the site this evening to view it in advance and or prepare such forged items and misdirection as discussed? Otherwise, I would suggest we go in in the early morning around 4-5 AM so the on shift guard is exhausted."

With a final look at W'zwzxi he bobbed his head at M'Alax:

"I am also inclined to start preparing. If anyone desires, I can give a list of what spells I am and am not preparing for input or planning."

He intrinsically has Cure Wounds, Burning Hands, Flaming Sphere and Scorching Ray.
I can prepare 6 spells and am planning on: Pass Without Trace (Stealth), Detect Poison and Disease (find sabotage agents in sewer), Jump (for entry if needed), Fog Cloud (for escape), Create and Destroy Water (for sabotage) and probably Entangle to hinder movement.

Sirithhyando
2022-05-20, 03:51 PM
"No worries, i'll take care of the diversion" Brak'ma didn't even try to hide its smile.
" i may prefer leave the thinking for others but letting a crate goes up there with alchemist fire ready to explode would paint a nice color in the night sky"

clash
2022-05-20, 05:04 PM
"I like a surprise and the soonest the better I say. 4 am works just fine by me" Rex sizes up the rest of his team. They were an interesting assortment of the right kind of people. This was going to be a worthwhile endeavor.

TriciaOso
2022-05-21, 09:33 AM
So I've been reading about running heists in the Blades in the Dark book, and one of the things they emphasize is to smash cut to when something interesting happens and fill in the prep with flashbacks. Players can call a flashback when they could have feasibly done something in advance to prepare for a moment. You roll for the prep when the flashback happens and that determines how much the preparations contribute to the roll in the present.

At 4 am you reunite at the Repository. A beast-drawn cart is waiting for you, pulled by a S'lphan, a shaggy quadruped like a bear with horns and a reptilian tail. The cart takes you to the depot, some distance outside the city.

Unsurprisingly, it's raining again, and in the overcast and mist the city lurks on the horizon like a pile of dirty laundry. As W'zwzxi described, the depot is a large square building with some offices upstairs and a launch pad beside it. A big, flat cargo barque is taking up most of the space and is waiting for dawn when laborers will arrive and begin loading it up. Beside it is a police cutter; since the blockade began, the cargo ships have to be accompanied down to the planet by a security escort. It is currently unmanned.

You park your cart near the gate off the road, then sneak around the perimeter of the building. You are able to bypass the electric fence and sneak inside. While the patrol guards are doing their periodic sweep of the warehouse, you surprise the one in the gatehouse and stuff yourselves into it.

When the other guards resume patrolling the grounds, B'Xli and Ma'lax take his keys and move towards the building. Once the guards complete their loop around the grounds, they will walk the warehouse again, and that is when the distraction will have to kick off. Until then, Rex, Brak'ma and Ag'zear wait uncomfortably with the guard's body.

Is he unconscious or dead? Everybody vote! One vote for dead means dead, though...

Inside, the warehouse is a big open space, with stairs in the corner leading to the offices and a big rolling door in the back that will be opened for cargo loading. The cargo deposited here looks mostly like what you would expect; crates of rations, casks of potable water, sealed iron tubes of compressed air, the big crystalline cylinders that power the arcane cannons and the scrying magitek.

Both of you make a d20 roll and add your INT or DEX to determine how thoroughly you manage to spoil the cargo. If you have proficiency in Thieves Tools, Poisoners Kit, Herbalism Kit or Alchemy Kit you can add that too.

Also insert flashbacks you want for preparations you made to do so better.

As you begin to move through them, you find one unusual box, not shaped like any of the others; a low square iron box, sealed and soldered. Just as you begin to examine it, you hear shouts from outside...

Time passes as you wait in the guardhouse; some of you, not naming names, begin to get restless. As the patrol draws near to the warehouse, you (hopefully) hunker down and wait for the perfect moment to spring your distraction.

All three of you make a d20 roll and add your INT or DEX to determine how well you time your diversion. If you have proficiency in Stealth, Survival or Wisdom saves, you can add that too.

Add any flashbacks you want for preparations you made to do so better, or to be prepared for a fight or a clever lie

As the diversion kicks off, four startled guards hustle towards the gatehouse, shouting for you to come out and drop your weapons.

When your group is reunited, you can hop the gate and run for your cart. Until then, you are either going to have to fool these four... or fight. Go ahead and roll initiative.

Seramus
2022-05-21, 02:52 PM
The small pale beheld furitively works at the edges of the crates, floating pry bars and tiny hammers hovering around his head as he dutifully works at unhinge the lids. His white-ish tongue sticks out one side of his toothy maw, a sure sign of intense concentration.

"With any luck, I can slip the nails out and pop the hinges without anyone even noticing that we tampered with them. Just a little bit more... and... shazbot! I think I stripped the bolt. Whatever, ruined supplies are still ruined, it just means they notice sooner."

Mentally kicking himself, he spirals slowly over the open crates, fussing with the air tanks and draining them to the point of being completely empty as quickly as he can without making too much sound. Then he's slipping the fake painted dials they worked on earlier, hoping that makes it look like the tanks are still full of nice useable air.

DRAMATIC FLASHBACK!

Floating low over a faint and flickering lamplight, M'alax and Ag'zear are surrounded by dozens of floating plastic dials. Paintbrushes drive into white and red hue paints, then flicker over the dials. Ag'zear is the one who came up with the idea, and M'alax is following his guidance. But together, they do their best to come up with as many counterfeit painted dials that they can.

And at the last moment, M'alax slips some of the paints into his little backpack.

"Might need those for later. For... something. Who knows."

CUT TO NOW!

Struck by ridiculous inspiration, M'alax remembers the pack of paints he tucked away just in case, and snaps them out with a deft twirl. "I don't know if this is going to work, but maybe I can PAINT OVER THE NAILS AND HINGES too! Make them look like I didn't break anything. It's a long shot, but juuuust maybe."

It was a hail mary plan, but it just might work.

Thrasymedes
2022-05-21, 03:02 PM
B'Xli, (https://www.dndbeyond.com/characters/73488497) Shipwright

B'Xli looked around the sewer while wishing he had brought noseplugs with him. He had easily been able to get pitons, hammer, oil and flasks at a hardware store and it was fairly easy to find the sewer but he had not expected it to reek this badly. Sighing he sat down and spent 10 minutes attuning himself to the reek and then reopened his eyes (casting Detect Poison and Disease as a Ritual). He now saw highlighted in the sea of filth certain locations that were especially repugnant and diseased. Carefully utilizing his Mage Hand he filled all six of his new flasks with the areas that he identified as most brightly colored under his new eyes. Momentarily he hesitated:
That pandemic a few years ago was pretty bad...
With a head bob he reassured himself:
It will never leave the moon base so there is no issue with it.

He made sure to try and select some of the plants and fungi growing in the sewers in order to provide a medium to keep these diseases alive and inserted them in the flasks as well. Satisfied with a job well done, he returned to the group ready to depart.

B'Xli darted into the building with a sidelong look at the Police Cutter. Once inside, his eyestalks began twitching as he looked at all the casks and crates:

"How do you want to split this M'Alax? Did you get any dial overlays with fake Pressure for the air tanks? I am not sure if I remember seeing those. I was planning to start with the food myself and work from there to water to air. Ohhh...Catch."

He tosses M'Alax a flask of oil:

"We can dump this in one or two of the water casks. They will have to throw it out and it is an obvious sabotage to start with."

As he says this he heads over to the first crate of packaged bulk food. Using a hammer and piton he knocks a hole through and into the bags then steps back and carefully uses Mage Hand to empty part of one of his sewage flasks into the container. Once this is complete, he sits down for a minute and carefully uses his Mending Skills to patch the holes and make it appear intact and sealed. He then began to move down the food crates repeating the process while sitting out one of his flasks to be used by his companion if desired. He hoped to be able to add some of it to the Water Casks as well but who know if he would have time to reach the air and cylinders. Speaking of which, he remained close to his companion so if others came in he would be able to conceal them both.

As he glanced at M'Alax's results he gave him a quick head bob at the results with the air...then saw the difficulties he was having with the Nails.

"Let's see if this helps."

He is casting Mending which restores cracks or tears at one minute per cast to try and assist M'Alax and possibly grant him advantage or other assistance.

clash
2022-05-21, 05:48 PM
Rex waits outside hunkered down in growing anticipation. With every second that rocks by he hears his heart pulse louder, feeling more alive. This was what he joined the military for. This was what he left it for and this was why he was in the resistance. He sees the four guards rounding the corner and catches good breath in his throat as his excitement peaks.

While waiting for the perfect moment to start the diversion he accidently lens forward to far against his cover sending out to the ground with a loud clatter.

"Damn" he mutters under his breath having revealed his location early. Rex had attempted to convince one of his old military suppliers to sell him some supplies but unfortunately he hadn't been willing to risk it. He had no choice but to fight.

Sirithhyando
2022-05-21, 08:07 PM

Brak'ma started its painting in advance
In the guardhouse, Brak'ma stars up its canvas and brushes and start painting the decor in front of them imagining the four very surprised guards. At one point, Brak'ma shout for the guard "Guards! I need you to finish this painting, a real masterpiece i tell you!"
Brak'ma placed its canva so the other could see it painted four guard very much dead.
Shouting again " Yup! Just need you for a little bit more realism! Oh and don't worry, we're safe from the rain here thus the reason I'm painting here! "

Seramus
2022-05-22, 02:38 PM
"Yes, having actual magic seems like a very useful thing." M'alax whispers to B'Xli in praise as the other beheld begins mending the damaged nails and hinges. "But the sound of chanting might give us away, so let me just..."

He freezes in place a moment, floating there in the air, and every muscle across his face tightens in concentration. His central eye bugs out just a bit, and he whisper-explains to his companion. "I bet you thought they called me M'alax the Silent because I talk very little? Untrue. It is because my central eye is powerful enough to banish sound!"

And with that, his eye straining as he concentrates, the world around M'alax and B'Xli seems to lose some of its beautiful color and become muted. The sound of B'Xli's verbal component grows dim and muffled, like it's being spoken somewhere down a distant hallway.

Using 2 Ki to cast Pass Without Trace (https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Pass%20without%20Trace) to muffle the sounds of casting, hammering, and pretty much everything else we are doing during our portion of the sabotage

sandmote
2022-05-22, 07:09 PM
Ag'zear is moody about failing to find what the dials on the containers looks like beforehand and forcing M'alax to take the time to point over them once inside.

When Brak'ma starts shouting, Ag'zear does his best to duck behind whatever nearest the door blocks line of sight--the better to ambush from when anyone enters to see what's going on.

Seramus listed M'alax painting while I was finishing up my time-stealing nonsense, so I'll autofail that check; I doubt it'll play any differently.

TriciaOso
2022-05-23, 05:35 PM
"Get down on the ground!" repeat the guards, their eyes shifting dangerously from one of you to the next. They look feathery, bobbing and bristling nervously like a bunch of angry sparrows, and when one of them gets nervous and looses his eyebeam, all of them follow suit. Only one of them turns and looks back at the warehouse; you recognize he is casting a message cantrip.

Everyone make a CON save, DC 16. On a failure, take 4 damage and fall prone.

Within the warehouse, M'alax and B'Xli can hear the shouting from outside begin. The temperature in the warehouse seems instantly to drop a few degrees, the cold emanating from the iron box. You know you have ruined the vast majority of the cargo; now you have to decide if it's worth it to stay and get the rest (or to stay and investigate this box...).

Thrasymedes
2022-05-23, 06:51 PM

B'Xli shivered at the cold that began emanating into the room and his teeth began to chatter. At the sound of the shouts he quickly tried to grab and secure everything that he had brought with them and then turned to M'Alax. He tried to drag himself off of the ground and then creep up to whisper as quietly as possible to him:

"Thank you. I plan to try and hide through their initial search, then continue with this and escape later when they settle down."

Rather than continuing with any of his attempts to mend or sabotage any of the cargo, he gave a final glance to try and ensure he had all of his tools and evidence as secured as possible and then molded himself as discreetly as he could into the nearest patch of shadow and then settled in for a long wait.

Con Save Fail. Initiative result 6, Stealth Check result including Pass without Trace 28
He is going to use bonus action/object interaction to grab any one item he was working with or left out then move and action to stand up and hide in the best concealment he can find utilizing Pass Without Trace's bonus.

Seramus
2022-05-24, 03:05 AM
M'alax bobs his head and follows B'Xli's lead. Still tensing his central eye to maintain concentration on the aura of silence, he spirals his eyestalks around to sus out any other good hiding spots. Just not one of the cargo containers, because accidentally getting shipped to the moon would be pretty bad. Especially since they just sabotaged the supplies! Yikes!

He shovels his tools and paints into his backpack, then hustles behind some shelving. Hopefully the guards didn't check the bottom shelf too vigorously.

27 on Stealth thanks to Pass Without Trace.

clash
2022-05-24, 08:16 AM
Rex falls gets hit by an eyebeam and falls on his ass. Rather than being upset about it he smiles. This is what he was here for. He quickly scurries to his feet as he is already speaking the incantation. Then he unleashes a firey beam from his eye targeted at each guard in turn until the spell energy dissipates after the third one. He lapped up the thrill of his successful shots. Each one reminding him that they were also trained for this, he was just better.

Sirithhyando
2022-05-24, 08:12 PM
AC 15, HP 31/35, INI +2 | Senses (passive): Perception 11, Investigation 11, Insight 9

Surprised by the fall, Brak'ma slowly get back upright, looking at canvas droped on the floor it look at the guards and with an eerily calm voice You... i'll finish this canvas with your blood.
Brak'ma moved slowly toward the guard, starting spinning its scimitar.

Simply getting up and getting closer

Sirithhyando
2022-05-26, 12:08 PM
AC 15, HP 31/35, INI +2 | Senses (passive): Perception 11, Investigation 11, Insight 9

As the guard suddenly got closer to Brak'ma, its smile widened behind a swriling blades Let's see the shades of your splattered blood

This action comes after sandmote lightning lure
Action : Attack 11 vs AC for 7 slashing dmg
Bonus : Attack 18 vs AC for 5 slashing dmg

sandmote
2022-05-26, 01:21 PM
Ag'zear gets back up and closes distance with the guards. Moving partway toward them he unleashes a crackling blast from his eyes, which pulls one of the guards hit by Rex, pulling them right up to him and away from their fellows.

TriciaOso
2022-05-26, 06:01 PM
Brak'ma's attack slays the already injured guard in front of him, smashing the Beheld into the ground like a smashed egg. The three remaining guards use their cantrips again, only succeeding in knocking Brak'ma prone.

Ma'lax and B'Xli, as you lurk in the warehouse, you feel a chilly incorporeal force emanate out from the box. It is not directed at you this time, but seems to be projected out into the area beyond the door; just the passing arcane force raises goosebumps on your skin.

Brak'ma, as you lie on the ground beside the guard you killed, you see a bloom of cold ripple along the ground, killing the grass and leaving a rime of frost on the armor of the guards. From the corpse, wisps of black smoke fume upward, forming a dark shrouded shape in the air. It shrieks, and you feel a cold, spectral energy swipe at you.

Rex, ducked behind the door of the guard booth, you feel the same kind of icy insubstantial touch attack just miss penetrating your armor. You turn towards the source to see the unconscious guard is now dead, his central eye frosted over, and a similar black spectre hovers over the body. It screams in your face.

Thrasymedes
2022-05-27, 05:07 AM
B'Xli huddled between shelving units, listening to the faint sounds of conflict coming from beyond the door. So far there had been less explosions than he expected with only a few shouts and some distant sounding noises that might be fighting. As he focused on that, he suddenly felt a chill but this time, he realized that the chill emanating from the box was not merely physical but profoundly unnatural. Turning in the direction he though M'Alax had hidden himself in he whispered:

Let me check something about that box.

He crept over in its direction trying to determine what about it felt so unnatural and twisted. He found himself drawing closer to it as he felt that he was on the verge of understanding something about this strange (and wrong) box. As he approached, as his suspicions strengthened and coalesced into a certainty he cursed under his breath:

You have GOT to be locking eyes with me.

He quickly stage whispered in the direction of the shelves:

"Mal can you help me open and examine this voiding box? It seems to be someone's necromantic toy."

Action to make an Arcana check of 16 to try and identify anything possible (at least school of magic?) about the magical effect coming from the box. He is using his move to approach closer as needed for the check.

sandmote
2022-05-27, 10:52 AM
"There's something you don't see every night," the N'ban takes the more practical approach of closing with the guard that sent the message spell than worrying about the philosophical implications of floating about your body, "I wonder if you can do that too," he muses as he bears down on them with his preferred weapon with surprising speed.

Taking an action surge. Using psionic strike on the first attack to hit and see the guard survive.
Not disengaging, so vulnerable to an opportunity attack from the Spector.
Using bonus action for psionic recovery.

From discord: 20 to hit & 11 damage on first attack target; 15 to hit & 6+5 damage on the second attack target.

clash
2022-05-27, 12:42 PM
Rex quickly stumbled back and away from the spectre. He didn't know what these things were just yet but he wasn't ready to let a frightening visage distract him from what he had done to do. Reclaiming his feet again he quickly caught the trending three guards in his sight and fired off another scorching ray. Missed the first shot but the other two landed. The last one in particular he was proud of. It struck the vitals and by the look of things nearly proved fatal on its own.

Seramus
2022-05-27, 01:12 PM
M'alax had spent so much time sitting in shadows watching others live their lives that he sometimes grew jealous. Having family... anyone you could be slightly less paranoid around? Beheld you could look upon and not notice every imperfection in their beauty? It seemed a pipe dream.

His mind wanders while he waits in silence. Over missed time. Then B'Xli starts moving, checking out the box, and calls out to him. He shakes off his reverie in an instant.

"Yes. Of course."

He slips from his bottom shelf and glides over to the box. Small chisels and a hammer appear from his little backpack, and he sets to work trying to pry the box open carefully.

TriciaOso
2022-05-27, 01:43 PM
Ma'lax, as you examine the box, you recognize the arcane flavor of the magic emanating from it -- it is the necrotic magic of M'Qa, but it is the magic of undeath and lost vitality of the Confessors of M'Qa B, rather than the instant necrotic death wielded by the Professors of M'Qa A. You of all people recognize this energy, because you saw the two-headed Principality of M'Qa slain and the Eyes of Death and Ennervation fall into the void.

You do a cursory check for traps and then crack open the box. What lies within is a crystalline sphere containing a ball of necrotic energy, which rolls like a great Eye to focus on you. You have only a split second to try and seize control of the artifact, or it will destroy you utterly.

B'Xli, you see a great black flame blaze out from the sphere and engulf Ma'lax... but he is not consumed.

For now, Ma'lax, you succeed, and the great gout of necrotic energy, which could've killed you three times over, is contained. Through your newly-forged connection with the artifact, you can sense the spectres outside the warehouse, and others, moving out in the world.

You are now partially attuned to the Eye of Ennervation; you don't have the strength to wield it fully, but you are aware of its tendrils radiating from this spot.

Seramus
2022-05-27, 02:18 PM
M'alax reels backwards, his eyestalks spinning around in wild circles as sees the ethereal strands of black stretching away from the box.Both hammer and chisel clatter to the ground in shock, the sound thankfully muted almost to silence because of the Pass Without Trace. His central eye snaps around wildly, then fixes on B'Xli in look of genuine fear and shock, and whispers frantically:

"I see dead people! They... they are everywhere! Outside! It's like they're stretched out from the box, strings of black stuff all leading back to the box. What should I do?!"

Thrasymedes
2022-05-27, 05:19 PM
B'Xli balks in shock at the sight of the gout of energy engulfing his new partner then quails at the rest of his statement:

"If you thought you could control it I would ask you to do so but this is beyond us...or we could fight it but I think we need to run now and help our partners escape from this things power."

He braces himself and prepares to dash from the warehouse as soon as he catches his breath. (Initiative Order)

Seramus
2022-05-28, 03:08 PM
Run? Run now and leave this thing? M'alax bobs once in acknowledgement, and makes one good solid attempt to smash the crystalline sphere inside the box. He brings his chisel right above it, lines up the hammer, and then gives it a firm KTWHACK! And if that doesn't break it, or explode in a way that dramatically kills them all, he will snap the lid shut and follow B'Xli wherever he runs to.

Making one solid attack on the thing in the box. If it breaks, great! If not, I'm following B'Xli.

Sirithhyando
2022-05-28, 10:41 PM

On its back, Brak'ma eyes widen
Not fair! When you die, stay dead you spawn of a blind goat!
It gets up and look a moment at the form, then at its scimitar, then at the form, then at both. Yup, i can look at both at the same time! But the headache! I'm dizzy, it's all your fault!! Brak'ma slash toward the floating form.

Attack action : 16 vs AC for 8 dmg
Bonus action : 21 vs AC for 4 dmg

TriciaOso
2022-05-29, 09:30 AM
Ma'lax brings down his crowbar on the sphere of crystal; the sphere is unharmed. But it chimes, an unholy resonance that shivers your flesh and goes through your bones. For a moment, both Ma'lax and B'Xli experience a strange feeling of detachment, as if peering into the world from the other side of an ethereal veil. The living darkness inside the sphere parts. Inside the spehere is a one-eyed Beheld skull, encased in crystal, with the Eye of Ennervation set in the socket.

The solid world crashes back in and both Ma'lax and B'Xli flee. Better than 80% of the cargo has been destroyed.

As Ma'lax and B'Xli flee, the first thing they encounter is Ag'zear standing over the bodies of the three clustered guards, black mist erupting from their burned and broken bodies. With shivering screams, three spectres form and sweep towards Brak'ma.

Meanwhile, Brak'ma slashes vigorously at another spectre, but the blade passes through it, only partially disturbing the phantasmal flesh of the creature. It stares at him with its smoky, unseeing eye, then glides forward and through him. It is followed by three more. None of them attack.

They glide further, past Rex, who stands outside the guardhouse on the gate. A fifth spectre emerges through the wall of the guardhouse and joins them.

The spectres form a wall of misty insubstantial bodies across the gate and bob menacingly.

Thrasymedes
2022-05-29, 10:29 AM

B'Xli came out the warehouse entrance then froze at the sight of the spectral figures before turning to the others, he looked like he began to gesture before pausing and reconsidering while he edged South past the guard shack:

Some kind of creepy necromantic eye inside is causing this. I think it is time to run. M'Alax, see if you can unlock and access the cutter to fly out. Ag'Zear, if he can, try and access the hardpoint to provide fire support. Brakma and Rex, get more than 20' from the gate so I can try to summon a way out. If you can, see if the Spectres react to one of you going out through the earlier gap.

He paused to take a breath or three after these statements while waiting for all the party members to get at least 20 feet from the gate before gesturing and a wave of flame appeared in front of the gate and settled there. As the wave dissipated, what resembled a small bonfire remained centered on the gate.

B'Xli is moving to G12, readying action to Summon Wildfire Spirit as soon as there are no allies within 10' of K8. This will result in all 5 of the Spectres needing to make a DC 13 Dex Save or take 2d6 (5) fire damage which will be halved to 2.

Seramus
2022-05-29, 02:41 PM
M'alax blinks one, two, three, four eyestalks at the Beheld Skull encased within the crystalline sphere, and the strange "Eye of Enervation." What in the heck is that?! Some kind of... holy relic? Why were they shipping it to the moon? In the middle of his thoughts, he hears the orders urging him towards the Cutter.

The pale little orb darts off towards the large ship, already fishing around his little backpack for his portable electronic device: the EyePad.

"Alright, just have to connect to the EyeFi and see what kind of security they have set up. But if we escape in this thing, we'll have to dump it immediately, or they'll have no problem tracking us and even bricking the whole cutter.

sandmote
2022-05-29, 09:33 PM
"I doubt they're easy to bring down with a punch, so might as well cut their losses and go." Ag'zear makes a break for the cutter, "although if we can't get this thing moving we could always take the fence back out."

Sirithhyando
2022-05-30, 07:13 PM

Are you sure? My blade went through them, surely we can just run through them?

clash
2022-05-30, 10:30 PM
Rex hears his orders and automatically falls into place, his time in the military allowing him to do so without thinking. He moves away from the gate and towards the gap but not without taking the chance to see if he could blast one of these new enemies. He took in the closest one and blasted a ray from his eye towards it.

Thrasymedes
2022-05-31, 08:16 AM
B'Xli called to Braxma as he began to summon the Wildfire Spirit:

"They wouldn't block the gate like that if they didn't have a way to enforce it. It may mean that they drain us as they pass or just chase us. Hopefully, they don't chase us out the other exit."

Sirithhyando
2022-05-31, 12:03 PM

Oh, that's a smart thinking!
Brak'ma race toward his companions for the escape.

Dash

TriciaOso
2022-05-31, 01:20 PM
As Brak'ma races away, B'Xli finishes summoning the wildfire spirit, and a burst of flame cremates a couple of the guard corpses and destroys the injured spectre.

Although all four of the survivors were scorched by the burst of flames, they seem to have only grown more solid and dangerous in the time since they were summoned.

Two of them glide away towards Rex and Brak'ma, passing through the gatehouse and along the fence to stand between you and the woods. The other two zoom towards B'Xli and attack with their chilly immaterial touch.

The door into the warehouse opens and the pilot of the cutter, woken from his sleep upstairs by a Message spell and finally having struggled into his uniform and found his weapon, staggers blearily outside. He looks at Rex, B'Xli and Ma'lax, suspiciously, then past them to the smoky spectral warriors and screams, dropping his firearm.

Thrasymedes
2022-05-31, 02:23 PM
AC 15, HP 0/13, INI +2 | Senses (passive): Perception 15, Investigation 11, Insight 13
One Failed Death Save
Wild Shape/Wildfire Spirit: 20/20 HP activation : Action/

B'Xli looked up in concern as the shadows raced towards him then his expression turned to horror as the first one's cold touch gripped him. He staggered as he glanced at the wildfire spirit and opened his mouth to speak...but collapsed as the second one also plunged its icy ghostly hands into his heart.

As he fell, the wildfire spirit darted along the ground until it stood just behind the spectres. It then vanished in a small sheet of flame but reappeared almost at the gate of the fence.

He failed his Death Save. Wildfire moves to I13 then teleports to I16 forcing both of them to make a DC 13 dex save or take 4 (halved to 2) fire damage.

Seramus
2022-05-31, 02:26 PM
M'alax swivels some eyestalks around and watches B'Xli crumple beneath the literally withering assault of the spectres, and every muscle in his sphere clenches with urgency. Gotta crack it, gotta break in, beheld are counting on... YES! With a single barking laugh of triumph, the loading bar reaches 100%. The ship was his. He hopes.

"Uh, can you carry him? Drag him onboard?" He shouts towards Agzear. Those N'ban were good at lifting and moving things, right? Was that racist? Probably. But Agzear did look pretty large and imposing. "I'll try to help."

One eyestalk blinks at the screaming pilot. Another watches the firearm slowly topple to the ground. I mean, it's just sitting there, right? A quick snatch of telekinesis yoinks it away from the ground beneath the pilot and into M'alax's orbit. Oh wow, that actually worked.

sandmote
2022-06-01, 04:55 AM
"Sure, but I don't have much to help if these things try to keep attacking us." Ag'zear expends the resources to shift B'Xli onto the cutter, and takes up a position next to the unconscious ally.

Action used for Telekinetic Movement and Ag'zear boards the cutter if able. Hopefully we can get away before everyone goes down.

clash
2022-06-01, 04:04 PM
Rex smiled. The spectre could be hurt like anything else, just maybe not with weapons. Add they closed in on him he retreated back carefully set up his shot and blasted the spectre with a well aimed blast. That one had to hurt.

As Malax moved the cutter to meet him, Rex climbed up with the rest of them. "Thanks for the ride. You're right on time"

Sirithhyando
2022-06-01, 08:22 PM

Brak'ma get its speed on toward the Cutter. Jumping on it, it looked back, saddened.
My caneva... couldn't put those thing that by blade passed through.

TriciaOso
2022-06-02, 07:37 AM
The spectres eye the escaping cutter furiously and shriek.

The two beyond the fence plunge into the woods, perhaps looking for your vehicle or any accomplices; the three still within the compound surround the wildfire spirit and extinguish it.

Momentarily spared, the pilot yelps and dives back inside the depot.

Thrasymedes
2022-06-02, 10:43 AM
AC 15, HP 0/13, INI +2 | Senses (passive): Perception 15, Investigation 11, Insight 13
One Failed Death Save, One success
One Wild Shape used

The wildfire spirit vanished under the combined attacks of three reinforced spectres while about the ship, B'Xli moaned briefly as he continued to shallowly gasp for breath and twitch convulsively.

One fail, one success. Otherwise, will be sitting this one out and observing until healing happens.

Seramus
2022-06-02, 02:28 PM
M'alax shouts back to the collected rebellion operatives, "Anyone able to take control? You just need to press UP and FORWARD on the eyepad, unless you actually know how to pilot this thing. I can look after the fallen."

And, if anyone is willing to accept the EyePad hacking device from him, he swishes across the cutter's deck and locks several eyestalks on the wounded B'Xli. One of them does nothing but scrutinize the injury, another judges his appearance and finds him lacking natural beauty, while a third pulses with a soft violet glow that induces a metabolic stasis - stabilizing the wounded.

Spare the Dying Eyebeam on B'Xli.

Sirithhyando
2022-06-02, 08:36 PM

Nothing i can do at this distance, i'll take on piloting.

sandmote
2022-06-03, 12:27 AM
"Not much use at range either." Ag'zear gives a loud sign of relief when M'alax stabilizes B'Xli.

"Shame the pilot got away." He turns to M'alax and continues, "You manage to ruin much of it?"

clash
2022-06-03, 09:10 AM
"I guess that's my cue." Rex moved to the hardpoint in anticipation. He had never gotten to fire one of these before, but how hard could it be. He liked up his shot planning on finishing off the weakened spectre. Ready, aim and fire!

He was thrown back by the unexpected recoil impact. He landed a direct hit but it wouldn't have mattered if he didn't. The spectre was obliterated along with everything around it. "Hot damn!" he shouts out. "I think I'm in love"

TriciaOso
2022-06-03, 09:20 AM
The two remaining spectres below hiss and dart towards the depot, vanishing through the walls. The field around the warehouse is empty, except for the dead guards and the huge cargo ship parked nearby. You know, however, that there still remains one spectre, heading into the woods towards the beast-drawn cart you took here. It is hidden now behind the foliage.

The sunrise is beginning glow muddily around the cloudy horizon.

Seramus
2022-06-04, 09:46 AM
"Most of it. We did a good job spoiling things, and then discovered... some kind of magic thing. A crystal sphere with a beheld skull inside. I think we pissed it off, because it belched out all those ghosts!"

M'alax begins floating about, sideways, upside down, checking all over the ship for any medical supplies. Wasn't some basic stuff standard issue on these cutters?

"And yeah, I smashed it really hard, but it didn't even make a scratch. Not that my TK is especially strong."

His large central eye was starting to look a little bloodshot concentrating on the Pass Without Trace.

"Never uh muffled an entire ship before. This is rough."

‐----------------------------------------------------------
16 on Investigation w/advantage to find the First Aid Kit.
After rummaging through poorly secured fire extinguishers, reflective triangles, a road flare, and discarded candy wrappers, M'alax emerges with a dirty white box with a red beheld heart drawn on it.

"Aha! I almost forgot where they hide them, since new officers like to sell them for extra credits."

He pops it open and pulls out a large, intimidating syringe full of sloshing red fluid. Then he plunges it straight through a gap in B'Xili's carapace like an adrenaline injection!

Thrasymedes
2022-06-04, 03:52 PM
AC 15, HP 10/13, INI +2 | Senses (passive): Perception 15, Investigation 11, Insight 13
One Wild Shape used. 1/4 LVL 1 slots used.

B'Xli moaned as the spectral fingers reached out to grasp him again...only this time instead of freezing him they poked him...hard.

"Ghosts with bones to pick with me?"

Shaking himself he opened three eyelids and saw M'alax bending over him with the needle.

"Where are the...Are we in a...Who is flying it?"

Crossing and uncrossing five of his eyestalks allowed him to see: no spectres, what appeared to be the inside of a cutter, and someone else nursing it along in zeroth gear. Shaking a little, he focused and focused as much of his adrenaline inwards as he could till he felt the familiar burn of some of his wounds closing. He then tried to hop into the pilot's seat and start steering it over the woods.

"Any port in a storm...Any other port in a storm that is."

He frantically tried to pull it out of the port biased downward slide he had started then asked in the general direction of the others:

"Where did we decide to go and are we keeping this or ditching it?"

Cure Wounds for 5 HP. Potion for 5 HP. Piloting check at 9 for a very poor result. Pending GM decision on how poor it is.

clash
2022-06-04, 10:50 PM
"Oh this is a keeper" Rex insists. "I aint never felt love like I did today shooting this thing" He checks the sights again trying to spot a live target before resigning himself to experiencing it again another time. "Could come in handy on missions too" he states supporting his position.

TriciaOso
2022-06-05, 01:46 PM
You rocket away, getting a blurred impression of your cart and the remaining spectre as you streak over the woods.

You have gotten away, although not absolutely clean -- they will certainly know the base was attacked, and there is no plausible argument to think you were frightened away without reaching the supplies. They also have your cart, which hopefully can't be traced back to anyone!

Your path did not bring you in exactly the right direction; but the city still lowers on the dawn horizon, it can't be that hard to navigate back.

Seramus
2022-06-05, 01:48 PM
"Nobody is... well, I suppose you are flying it! As for ditching this thing, we probably should. I can look around the system for electronic GPS, but the big eye in the sky probably keeps hard trackers, and cutters are not exactly hard to see when the rain and clouds break."

M'alax has had a busy day. Infiltration, sabotage, necrotic enlightenment, resuscitation, hacking, what's digging around a mostly unfamiliar system looking for spyware? So, with just a hint of being entirely out of his depth and paygrade, M'alax gets back to his electronic EyePad and starts rooting around. Who knows, maybe they bought their tracking software from some big company with an obvious name and install location.

After several long minutes of manipulating the electronic hacking software, he gives a suspicious glance around the ship.

"Alright, I managed to disable the obvious anti-virus and tracking software. I didn't find anything physical on the ship, but we should still probably be cautious about it."

Thrasymedes
2022-06-06, 08:07 AM
Frantically stabilizing the ship, B'Xli brought it to a hover then turned to the others:

"M'alax, if you think you disabled the tracker, I am inclined to try to keep this but at a location away from the warehouse. If anyone has an idea where to stash this, please let me know. Additionally, they are going to know that we made it in, so I think we need to give them a different story. If all of you like the idea, I propose we go back right now with me and Rex in this as overwatch since it can handle everything yet encountered easily if needed. I can take over the camouflage on the ship to let you rest from that while Brakma, Agzear and possibly you go in and grab 1-2 of the power cylinders and take them away in the cart we came in. You return to the warehouse with those so it appears we just came to steal things. Meanwhile, Rex and I take the ship and stash it somewhere. If none of you have any ideas, can the hardpoint be used to boost the range of your mind speech Rex so we can fly to the vicinity of the warehouse without revealing it and ask for recommendations from our contact? Speaking of which, what all can the hardpoint boost? Can it boost Mage Hand or spells like Scorching Ray?"

Taking several breaths after this long explanation, he paused and readied himself to take over the camouflage role and then operate the ship to take it wherever the party decided.

He is prepared to cast Pass Without Trace to give M'alax a break and will make a piloting check to fly the ship as soon as it is decided where to take it. If leveled spells can be cast he may suggest opening the main access door at D6-10 to really make a mess with it.

clash
2022-06-06, 03:25 PM
"Whoa slow down. No need to talk like a full speed craft. Let me get a word in" Rex waits a breath to ensure B'xli is listening. "The hardpoint will work for all of that but it's taxing on the power. Can't say how much. All stuff we learned in the academy."

Rex stats sizing up the ship size to answer his other question. Where could they stash this? Rex knew how place couldn't be used discreetly. Ever since his court martial they had been keeping a distant eye on him. "Good call on the resistance. Probably our best hope for stashing this"

Seramus
2022-06-07, 03:45 AM
M'alax thinks back over his time working as a Watcher for the Panoptica, and how long it took for police cutters to respond whenever someone needed them to come. He knew they didn't have long. You don't become an oppressive police state without the police doing some effective oppressing. But he gives a quick nod to the plan.

"A couple power cylinders would be useful if we plan on keeping the cutter."

He wondered if the phantoms were still lurking about. Or if the pilot he saw was still alive.

"Let's do it."

TriciaOso
2022-06-07, 07:40 AM
Getting the hang of the controls, B'Xli navigates back to the depot without issue. Flying over the woods outside you see your cart still hidden in the woods and your beast injured but still standing, with no sign of the spectre. Tough beast.

There is no sign of the pilot or the spectres outside the depot. The bodies still lie where you left them. The big-bellied cargo ship that was parked here is gone now, but they couldn't have had much time to load it.

Sirithhyando
2022-06-07, 05:20 PM

Brak'ma get ready to disembark as the cutter comes back to the depot
So, we rush in, steal some power cylinder and come back with those so it seems we only came to steal the cutter and supply. Got it.
As soon as they land, Brak'ma rush straight to the depot, open the door and get in.

Thrasymedes
2022-06-07, 05:41 PM
AC 15, HP 9/13, INI +2 | Senses (passive): Perception 15, Investigation 11, Insight 13
3/4 Lvl 1 Slots, 1/2 Lvl 2 Slots
One Wild Shape used

B'xli having gotten a much better feel for the controls brought the cutter in towards the location, pausing briefly by the cart in case anyone wished to get out and bring it closer. Once he was satisfied anyone exiting had done so he brought it up to about 30 feet from the entrance and set it down with the hardpoint aligned to fire through the vehicle access door if necessary.

"Safely down. If you need help, open the vehicle access door so Rex can cover you...or just shout really loudly and duck really fast.

Oh, if you want us to bring it closer to make it easier to get the cylinders to the other location, I can."

sandmote
2022-06-08, 01:59 AM
"Hmm, injured but not down?" Ag'zear exits by the cart, and decides to take a look for any damage or new tracers there. He slows down when approaching to try to keep the beast from panicking.

TriciaOso
2022-06-08, 06:33 AM
Entering the depot, you do not immediately see any spectres. It is not hard to find power cylinders or dollies, either.

You do find the body of the pilot.

And the crystal orb is gone.

Seramus
2022-06-08, 02:12 PM
M'alax does his best to help haul the power cylinders, but hesitates when he notices the ice cold chest was missing. They had taken it. Of course they did; it was destined to be shipped off to the moon like everything else in the warehouse.

But the black strands... the feeling in his sphere, like the crystal had somehow touched and chilled his spirit. He could still feel it... but not in any meaningful way. Just a hazy coldness lingering in his hearts.

"Alright, we got what we came for." He utters with intentional loudness.

TriciaOso
2022-06-08, 08:35 PM
No resistance remains inside the depot. Reinforcements are on the way, but you work quickly, and your cart is rolling away down the road and your new stolen cutter is setting into an Ownclub family chop shop before the police even reach the remote warehouse.

You have a rendezvous with W'zwzxi tonight at the paperwork repository. For now, you have the daylight hours to rest and take care of any personal business.

clash
2022-06-09, 12:01 PM
After making it back to the depot and parting ways Rex is careful to setup an alarm system (alarm ritual) on his sleeping quarters before getting some rest. In the morning he summons his strange bird pet granted by the powers that be ass second set of eyes before heading up to stock up for the next mission.

Thrasymedes
2022-06-10, 08:36 AM
B'Xli breathed much easier after stashing the vehicle with the Ownclubs. He spent a few minutes fiddling with it before departing (seeking to disconnect the wires from the ignition, so a mechanic will need to perform a two minute fix before it can be operated). He then proceeded back to the warehouse with Rex to see if Wzlwxi had anything else. Given the time, he only set aside an hour to try and forage for some herbs and supplies to ensure he had some healing potions for next time and then collapsed into bed.

He shook himself as he woke up and spent a few minutes deciding what specialties would best serve him today and then set out for the warehouse immediately following breakfast to ask for updates, see if there were any tool sets available and inquire about future remuneration.

He is changing out Detect Poison and Disease for Locate Animals or Plants; Create or Destroy Water is replaced by Goodberry; and verifying other spells now. In the morning he is going to ritual cast Locate Animals or Plants to better locate Healing Potion ingredients.

Seramus
2022-06-10, 01:01 PM
M'alax finishes cleaning up after the mission, and then winds his way through the narrow streets to his own home. He checks the door twice to see if someone else has broken in, then floats into his single room studio apartment. Little more than a dystopian cubicle really. Within minutes, he's toppled into the cushy blankets of his bed and passed out. Thankfully, he rarely snores.

The next day is full of hastily scribbled parchments telling about what he saw in the sky on that fateful day, and then hobo'ing around town to leave flyers and pamphlets wherever he can. On message poles, tenser's floating bus stops, and wherever else people gather. Perhaps even a university full of impressionable young beheld, though security probably knew his face by now. He was getting better at being slipping in and out of places, though, and he enjoys leaving flyers in the breakrooms of offices.

The next day, he arrives back at the warehouse eager to contribute to the cause.

sandmote
2022-06-11, 12:28 AM
Ag'zear breaks in the back of the building while they're formally scrubbing the clipper of anything that could be used to trace it. Once he's up again he checks up on how much his coworkers asking how much the thing is worth and what can be done with it.

Sirithhyando
2022-06-11, 08:24 PM

Big day, big night, Brak'ma is tired. The next day, he tries selling his paintings. He goes close to a merchant district and settle down, painting the sky and the flying-feathered pig laying/dropping eggs over some Beheld. Some stopped looking, Brak'ma smiled
You want one for your self? I can even add you to it!
And as most customer, they left. Bunch of incult! N'xena's art is too good for you folks anyway! You wouldn't recognise a true masterpiece!
And he left, penniless for that day.

TriciaOso
2022-06-11, 10:40 PM
You gather that evening at the paperwork repository, and once again are met by W'zwzxi.

"Come in, come in, guys! You did an amazing job! I never even dreamed we could get away with a cutter! But it's a perfect cover story! The chatter is that the cargo pilot panicked and took off without any of the stuff, so that's a ton of fuel wasted, too! If it passes inspection we'll get away completely clean, and over the next couple weeks, everything up on the lunar base will start falling apart!"

But you know the cargo ship didn't go up empty-handed. Not completely.

You have a sudden vision of spectres moving through the hallways of the Lunar Base, escorting the frost-encrusted black iron box. As the guards and spies stationed there try to repel them, they are slain by the spectres, and join the horde of undead spreading through the base. The core group brings the iron box to the central scrying chamber and----

"And now that we have the cutter, it solves a big, big problem we've all been worrying about," W'zwzxi enthuses, oblivious to Ma'lax's vision.

Ag'Zear, do they have a cutter? It's officially in the family's control now, and it's worth a lot of money. So is the makeover your guys already did. Are you comfortable with W'zwzxi treating it like the property of the revolution, or do you want to lodge a protest?

"And incidentally, lines up your next mission! Have you guys heard of Xl'Va?"

Some of you have; other haven't. He tells you the story. Xl'Va is a revolutionary from N'Xenia, a member of the Cult of the Box even before the world changed. He died and was resurrected in the apotheosis of the Three Palimpsests, which began on N'Xenia. Now a devout worshipper of Bahamut, he is the leader of the Dragon Knights on that planet.

"N'Xenia is getting too hot for him, and General M'Ta asked all cells to look for opportunities to smuggle him off-world, to M'Duq. Now we can send you five on the cutter to retrieve him."

sandmote
2022-06-12, 10:04 AM
Ag'zear listens through the "I'm glad we've succeeded so well, but I'd like to discuss finances at some point. Retooling a cutter--to keep the panopticon's pupil elsewhere--is an expensive job. Reshaping the frame, checking for Eyespy systems, installing sidelights from a different producer, repainting, getting new plates..." Ag'zear squints his eyestalks as he spreads out his notes. "...transferring the cleats, and lowering the gunwale are some of the work that's needed to be done. These things aren't cheap, I'm afraid."

He passes some papers to the rebellion contact. "My Associates have compiled the following list of costs of making the cutter available for the rebellion's use. We hope that you are able to pass it up to your superiors to make sure we can continue to provide such services in the future." Trying to sound reassuring, he continues "The rebellion is great, and I'll be glad to aid the renowned Xl'Va, but these fellows need to put food on the table. I fully realize you didn't expect to have access to the cutter, so there might be an issue of covering these costs. If you could arrange a down payment through to the account listed," Ag'zear shuffles some papers to pull out the right one, "here, it should provide enough for my associates' continued backing." He does his best to look apologetic about having to ask this; "I know you said you hadn't even dreamed we'd have looted a cutter, but now we have, and I'm afraid they're not cheap."

If my two minutes looking the parts of the boat online were accurate, lowing the gunwale would be part of reshaping the frame. My position is that Ag'zear is not sufficiently proficient enough with these vehicles to know that; anyone who is can go ahead and point that out.

Saying the cutter is for the rebellion's "use" is meant as an intentional dodge of the ownership question. The cutter's back where we left it. The plan is for the party to use the cutter. How much the rebellion owes on the cutter (if anything) can be decided at such a time as it is transferred away from the party and the Ownclubs.

Finally, I'm going to say Ag'zear has slipped his monthly dues (from the background) into the papers he's handed W'zwzxi. It's probably listed as a "contact setup fee" or something similar. Otherwise the only traceable information should be the account to transfer the money into, and I assume the Ownclubs have a method for making those secure.

Thrasymedes
2022-06-12, 12:44 PM
B'Xli welcomed the chance to finally start to round out his tool kit as needed but began to twitch at their contact's exuberance and squirm.

Before he could respond, Ag'zear began to address all of the work needed and makes a mental note to see if at some point he can reach an agreement with the Ownclubs to assist with the work needed...for creative input and compensation of course. It seemed his companion had a good sense of when to properly instruct the customer on everything you were doing...even if you were going to do it anyway.

Once there was a brief break in the conversation he interjected himself:

"About this mission, I do have two concerns. The first is unless that frame expansion is far more generous than I expect" here he nods at Ag'zear's notes "that cutter won't hold all of us without some being suspended on the hull, which will NOT be pleasant and require some significant preparation."

Additionally, there was a complication at the warehouse. We found some form of device that radiated necromancy, raised everyone killed in the vicinity as ghostly combatants and nearly killed the first person who tried to mess with it. I need you to confirm if that ship actually went to the moon base as the item was not there on our return and so that is the most likely way it left. If it did, please find out everything you can about current operations or reports there as I don't want myself or my allies to be facing an unstoppable Dead Army.

He shrugged as he looked at his group:

"Also, as my friend mentioned, how are ongoing expenses, pocket money and remuneration for our time to be handled? We will be needing to do some significant expenditures and risks along with ongoing expenses that the Panopticon may notice if they are terminated."

Seramus
2022-06-12, 02:16 PM
The slightly bulbous central eye of the pale little beholder rolls back into its own skull, and for a moment he hovers there twitching in momentary seizure. A few flecks of foam gather at the corners of his maw, and right before it starts to look like a serious medical emergency... it stops.

"By all that lies above and below, they just... just started killing everyone. I saw it. The phantoms from the landing site were gliding through the halls of the moon base, sweeping from one room to the next and overwhelming the guards there. It... it's a hostile take over. Someone is literally using the dead from that crystal to take over the freaking moon base!"

Yes, he does blurt that out in the middle of their briefing session for a completely different mission.

TriciaOso
2022-06-12, 06:30 PM
Even before Ma'lax begins speaking, W'zwzxi looks a little alarmed and dismayed. "Gosh, fellas. I'm sorry but... we don't really have much income. I mean, I've got a day job myself. The revolution isn't exactly self-funding yet."

To Ag'zear he says, "I can hit up some of the bank roll folks and see what we can put together for your invoices... I see what you mean about outsiders needing to be paid for their work. But I can't offer you guys a salary. Everything we have is either donated or scavenged, like the cutter."

"As for transporting everyone on the cutter--there's actually a Professor who is a part of our network who says he has a solution to fit more people into the same space. It--"

Then Ma'lax starts screaming about the lunar base and W'zwzxi looks very alarmed and not a little dismayed.

clash
2022-06-13, 08:22 AM
Rex waits uncharacteristically patient as the newest mission gets explained to them. Then he starts spent while the others bombard their contact with questions and outbursts. Finally he speaks up.

"You guys all worry too much. I don't know about you but this is exactly the kinda thing I signed up for. Seems pretty simple to me. Go in, get this guy, and get out and if we happen to get into a firefight along the way all the better. As to the cutter modifications... he addresses Axgear "For this mission at least wouldn't it be better if the cutter blends in? Better for smuggling him offworld. I even know someone who could get us some uniforms to really play the part"

Thrasymedes
2022-06-13, 09:03 AM
B'Xli looks abashed and looks at both Rex and Wzlwxi as he speaks:

"You are both right and I apologize for my ingratitude. I am very interested in that technique you mentioned, is it possible for me to be present to see if I can learn anything or help with it? Speaking of which, do you have coordinates for where we are to meet? I do not have practice navigating and so need all the help I can get.

He looks torn as he glances at M'alax with a concerned look:

"At the base then? I hope to make that my top priority as soon as we finish this extraction."

sandmote
2022-06-13, 02:36 PM
Ag'zear bobs at B'Xli. "As long as we aren't disguising ourselves as anyone who uses a particular model we should be able to get it cleaned up."

Turning back to W'zwzxi he continues, "I thank you for any initial payment the rebellion can manage. The worst case is that we sell the cutter for cash to fund other projects. Otherwise my associates can fall back on the family until we can pay off the work."

Based on rolling a 4 earlier, I'm going to say Ag'zear's monthly dues aren't included in the total for the initial payment.

Seramus
2022-06-13, 02:55 PM
M'alax takes a few deep breaths to recover and calm himself, still peering around with a few eyestalks like he might spot a phantom lurking around the corner. But eventually he settles down and listens, nodding along with the concerns of the others, but still obviously eager.

"So, what's his situation? Are the Dragon Knights currently in hiding? Is he protected by people who are going to cooperate with us, or resist us? Does he have a private residence, or does he live on some kind of big compound? That makes a big difference on how we want to extract him."

TriciaOso
2022-06-14, 08:16 AM
B'Xli looks abashed and looks at both Rex and Wzlwxi as he speaks:

"You are both right and I apologize for my ingratitude. I am very interested in that technique you mentioned, is it possible for me to be present to see if I can learn anything or help with it? Speaking of which, do you have coordinates for where we are to meet? I do not have practice navigating and so need all the help I can get."

W'zwzxi waggles himself from side to side in a negation. "No need to apologize! I wish the Revolution could provide for you guys. We just aren't as well-funded as some of the other factions, I'm afraid... progress has been slow here in the capitol."

"You're headed for the city of T'lah... the spacebase there is held by the Satyr League, so you shouldn't have trouble getting out. It's just been an issue of arranging transport."

M'alax takes a few deep breaths to recover and calm himself, still peering around with a few eyestalks like he might spot a phantom lurking around the corner. But eventually he settles down and listens, nodding along with the concerns of the others, but still obviously eager.

"So, what's his situation? Are the Dragon Knights currently in hiding? Is he protected by people who are going to cooperate with us, or resist us? Does he have a private residence, or does he live on some kind of big compound? That makes a big difference on how we want to extract him."

"The problem is that the Dragon Knights and the Satyrs on N'Xena have had a falling out about politics. They aren't in open conflict, but they aren't cooperating very well right now. The police on N'Xena want Xl'fa badly, and his support network has gotten pretty thin. He'll be safe on M'Duq, where the Dragon Knights have control."

"General M'Ta's allegiances lean towards the Dragons, but even if they didn't, Xl'va is a hero of the Revolution and an inspiring figure to all of us... we can't let him be captured."

clash
2022-06-14, 05:32 PM
"We ain't selling the cutter" Rex insists. "it's hella fun and provides is unique tactical flexibility" he states listing his reasons in order of obvious priority. "If we're strapped for cash I say we aquire funding from the militia payroll"

"Getting around shouldn't be too hard with the cutter and the uniforms It's sounds like our first problem is going to be getting us and the cutter offworld. W'zwzxi, do you have any contacts that can shuttle is over? Azgear did I here you mention you're involved in trade? Any cargo ships we can take discreetly?"

Thrasymedes
2022-06-14, 07:31 PM
"Satyrs vs Dragon Knights? That makes...way too much sense. If we have the contacts, why don't I go get with your professor and take him to start trying to prep the cutter which I have also grown attached to. Is there anything I need to discuss with your associates Ag'zear?"

He turns alternately to face W'zwzxi and Ag'zear then prepares to head out. Honestly, he was having to work a little to hide both his current discomfort and his eagerness to work with someone on such a fascinating project.

Seramus
2022-06-14, 08:14 PM
"Do we know where he is, exactly? A home location or specific building he normally works in? Or are we going to be improvising most of the way? I'm fine with the latter, I just want to know as much as we can before we start planetfall. And... do we have any rebellion bases on the planet? Places where we might hide and lay low if things get too hot for immediate evacuation?"

M'alax slowly drifts sideways until his eyestalks are at a 90 degree angle. The armless black trenchcoat hangs awkwardly.

TriciaOso
2022-06-15, 09:18 AM
"We ain't selling the cutter" Rex insists. "it's hella fun and provides is unique tactical flexibility" he states listing his reasons in order of obvious priority. "If we're strapped for cash I say we aquire funding from the militia payroll"

W'zwzxi brightens at this. "Any steps you want to take to be self-funding would be... encouraged," he says. "And if it involves robbing the forces of fascism and repression, all the better!"

"Getting around shouldn't be too hard with the cutter and the uniforms It's sounds like our first problem is going to be getting us and the cutter offworld. W'zwzxi, do you have any contacts that can shuttle is over? Azgear did I here you mention you're involved in trade? Any cargo ships we can take discreetly?"

"I believe the cutter has interplanetary range, if limited... you should be able to get as far as N'Xena or M'Duq on your own power, but probably not much further than that."

"Satyrs vs Dragon Knights? That makes...way too much sense. If we have the contacts, why don't I go get with your professor and take him to start trying to prep the cutter which I have also grown attached to. Is there anything I need to discuss with your associates Ag'zear?"

He turns alternately to face W'zwzxi and Ag'zear then prepares to head out. Honestly, he was having to work a little to hide both his current discomfort and his eagerness to work with someone on such a fascinating project.

"Yes, of course. He has a workshop, which we keep quiet for operational security, but I'm sure he'd welcome your input."

"Do we know where he is, exactly? A home location or specific building he normally works in? Or are we going to be improvising most of the way? I'm fine with the latter, I just want to know as much as we can before we start planetfall. And... do we have any rebellion bases on the planet? Places where we might hide and lay low if things get too hot for immediate evacuation?"

M'alax slowly drifts sideways until his eyestalks are at a 90 degree angle. The armless black trenchcoat hangs awkwardly.

"I don't have his address, but I do have a contact point and password to touch base with his local support network."

"The city of T'Lah is nominally under the control of the Satyr League; you should be safe there, mostly. The Dragnet, the old guard cops, still make raids into the city and are hunting Xl'va pretty hard, since he's one of the big name resistance leaders, but you probably won't be on their radar. The Satyrs will treat you with respect while you're on their territory... they just aren't willing to expend their own resources to get Xl'va off-planet right now."

Sirithhyando
2022-06-15, 04:25 PM
STR 18, DEX 15, CON 16, INT 8, WIS 8, CHA 8/
AC 16, HP 45/45, INI +2 | Senses (passive): Perception 11, Investigation 11, Insight 9
Save :STR +6, DEX +2, CON +5, INT -1, WIS -1, CHA -1/

Sleeping through the debriefing, Brak'ma eye spring back open, startled by M'alax, in a half-yawning shout Brak'ma very seriously answer Let's just destroy the moon, problem solve.
Its eye close again while the others bicker slightly.

Its eye open again and just to confuse its own thoughts, he answered to B'Xli My funds are low, seriously, lets just do the mission and then rob a bank or something.

Completely awake, Brak'ma continued If he's that important, why not start spreading rumours on every planet that he's there. The chaos might help us move around easier without being notice.

TriciaOso
2022-06-16, 09:15 AM
You decide some ready cash is your most pressing priority. With Rex's insider knowledge of payroll dropoffs and a truly legendary effort of stealth by M'alax, you were able to undertake a successful payroll robbery despite Brak'ma's chaotic nature.

B'Xli inserted you into the base with pinpoint precision; Ag'zear spotted the hidden safe right away, and M'alax cracked it wide open. You almost got caught on the way out, but the military uniforms Rex scored gave you plausibility, and Brak'ma's impression of a short-tempered drill sergeant discouraged anyone from asking questions.

You walk away with $5500... of course, a lot of that will be going into the ship modifications!

B'Xli, you pay a visit to the Professor mentioned by W'zwzxi, a wide-eyed M'qan named Q'q. He has the pale skin and elegant features of a member of that subrace, but is quite old and a bit unkempt. If he weren't a part of the resistance, you might classify him as a kook.

He shows you a new spell he's developed that harnesses extradimensional spaces. "Now that the astral void capsule is gone and we don't have to worry about ambient anti-magic, extradimensional magic is going to take off! We're at the beginning of an arms race, hahaha! But for now, we're on the cutting edge, my boy!"

He telekinetically lifts a coil of rope. "Consider the old koan... how long is a piece of a string?"

Remarkably, the Professor has figured out how to use magic to turn an ordinary piece of rope into an extradimensional space that can hold as many as eight Beheld, for up to an hour. It will take up some of your engine capacity.

With Q'q's magic rope installed around the door to the small cabin, you are ready to leave for your mission. Fortunately, the overhaul by Ag'zear's boys provides the necessary extra engine power. You will need to stop once per hour to re-cast the spell, but that will only marginally slow you down.

W'zwzxi's contacts report an eerie quiet from the moonbase. People in the streets seem more relaxed, less paranoid of the constant scrutiny. Only you know the real, terrifying reason than Panoptica has gone blind.

It is perfect circumstances to set out on the 12 hour journey to N'Xena, though...

Seramus
2022-06-16, 09:41 AM
M'alax spends a modest amount of time gliding back and forth across the threshold of the rope dimension.

"That's quite a trick! It's bigger on the inside. I always theorized string could do something like this, but I never got the science behind it."

But eventually he grows a little more somber and drifts near the front of the craft, stretching his eyestalks out to peer around in every direction. He searches the heavens for signs of cracks and ruptures, as if the solar system were a piece of glass that might slowly fracture until it finally shatters completely. At least, that's the dramatic scene he imagines a few times during their journey through the void.

"The scenery is beautiful. I wonder if Brak'ma has ever painted it?"

Thrasymedes
2022-06-16, 12:27 PM
B'Xli knocked on the hatch before entering. He had run a little late with his last minute shopping for tools after finishing the work with the professor and now slung his second oversized pack under one of the seats in the cabin.

Upon seeing M'alax he began frantically rooting through a bag:

"So, I managed to whip a few things up. This can be used to get me back in the fight if I go down, and these can be used for emergency stabilization of anyone who goes down."

He hands M'alax a Healing Potion and two Goodberries and proceeds to sit two other Goodberries on each other passenger's seat (or hand them as they arrived).

He then began to admire the cabin and agreed with M'alax about the new roominess before asking:

"Do you know how far I should stay from the patrols or should I just...fly casual and hope for the best?"

clash
2022-06-16, 07:47 PM
Rex steps inside investigating the ship modification. "Don't know how it works, but this will do nicely" he states with approval. The new space should fit them all.

"I've got the uniforms washed and ready in case we need them again" he comments redistributing them to those already on board. He collects the berries off his seat. "I cant wait to see how she does in space"

sandmote
2022-06-17, 07:53 AM
Ag'zear spends a while talking with the guys who modified the ship, double checking what they've done and making sure they've received the payment the party has sent in.

Once on board he stows the goodberries into his pack and takes his seat. "Here's to a swift and calm journey there."

Sirithhyando
2022-06-17, 11:59 AM
AC 16, HP 45/45, INI +2 | Senses (passive): Perception 11, Investigation 11, Insight 9

Before exiting the robbery, Brak'ma took a moment to paint on the ground "N'bu is next!" then signed "your most adored Xl'va"

Brak'ma felt truly happy, grinning from one side of its face to the other We need to do this more often! Its fun! We get funds, they dont, we win twice as much!

Brak'ma stood close to M'alax during the journey I haven't been off world in a while so, no, haven't painted this scenery. Let me a little space to set up and i'll do it during the trip.

Brak'ma set up after to paint the scenery, adding a few suns around the main sun disguised as each of Brak'ma companions.

Seramus
2022-06-18, 09:06 AM
He hands M'alax a Healing Potion and two Goodberries and proceeds to sit two other Goodberries on each other passenger's seat (or hand them as they arrived).

He then began to admire the cabin and agreed with M'alax about the new roominess before asking:

"Do you know how far I should stay from the patrols or should I just...fly casual and hope for the best?"M'alax accepts the Healing Potion and two Goodberries graciously, then fastidiously tucks them away into his pack. He'll need to get more pockets sewn into his trenchcoat for carrying supplies if he goes on more of these missions.

"The big thing is having the right passage codes going from planet to planet. Like... getting through customs or border patrol. But the rebellion might have fake codes we can use. Old, but they might check out. Otherwise just get behind someone else, follow their lead, keep your distance, but don't look like you're trying to keep your distance."

TriciaOso
2022-06-18, 09:54 AM
As you get up into orbit, however, you do not encounter any such patrols. A significant chunk of the space navy has followed General M'Ta into rebellion, and it's the Rebellion blockade around B'nxam that you have to pass. They are happy to see you once you give the countersign.

N'Xena is the nearest planet to B'nxam, and at this time of year your orbits are reasonably closely aligned. You fully extend the astral sails and direct a stream of magic from your engine into them, rather than relying on the ambient astral winds, and set off at a good clip.

The view along the way is indeed spectacular; the skies of B'Xenon used to be solid black, where the astral void capsule contained the universe, but now space is full of burning points of light you know are other realities. Strange astral fish and other multiversal creatures have begun to inhabit what was previously emptiness between planets. During one of your periodic stops to refresh Q'q's Rope Trick, you see a school of ten astral quippers swim by, glowing with their own light.

https://scx2.b-cdn.net/gfx/news/2018/glowingbacte.jpg

Between some time spent laboring the wrong direction (someone eventually notices the sun should be getting bigger, not smaller), and with hourly stops to refresh the cabin space and let your companions out of the cramped space, it takes you almost twice the expected twelve hours to make the journey. Your fuel is lower than you would've hoped; you will have to use your second cylinder just to get back to B'nxam and resupply, rather than go straight on to M'Duq.

N'Xena is surrounded by a thick magical haze that has always protected it from the sun's anti-magic, leading to a reputation as an unusual and iconoclastic place even in the height of imperial power. As you descend through the soupy yellow clouds toward the city of T'lah, you are hailed.

Unidentified Panoptican Cutter, this is T'lah Spacefield Tower.

Be advised that you are entering the airspace of the free city of T'lah and your authority will not be recognized here.

Do you copy?

clash
2022-06-18, 05:22 PM
"T'lah Spacefield Tower, I copy loud and clear. This is sergeant V'sarius. We ran into navigational errors and are looking to land to refuel. I acknowledge our authority will not be recognized and we're not looking to cause any trouble. Just let us land and purchase fuel cells and we'll be on our way. Over. Rex responds in his easily recalled military protocol and waitress for further direction.

TriciaOso
2022-06-18, 06:57 PM
"Roger, cruiser. Reminder that our independence is enforced by antiaircraft weapons. Enjoy your stay in the free city."

The voice on the radio is dry and skeptical, but does not challenge you.

You descend to a busy and disorganized spacedock in the city of T'lah, full of ships and people from across the system. Unlike the city you departed from and despite the ceiling of green mist, the weather here is hot and dry. It's day on this side of the planet, but under the smog, the light is dim and low even at noon; the neon signs on the towers of T'lah sizzle in the desert air. There are fountains, expensive and beautiful, but in the collapse of the empire the water no longer flows.

All the art and music and illicit pleasures of T'lah lie before you. More pragmatically, you can also buy power cells and a variety of grey-market ship equipment here at the spaceport; a ship graveyard lies in the shadow of the antiaircraft guns, and scavengers pick the bones and sell their finds in booths along the perimeter.

You also have the address of a cafe where you can find a contact who knows where to find Xl'va.

Thrasymedes
2022-06-18, 07:54 PM
"Finally here and I do apologize for taking the scenic route. Does anyone wish to go get the fuel? Do we want to only have some of us go to find the general and buy supplies while myself and maybe another wait here? It would mean they are less likely to notice too many disembarking and may permit us to come in and help if we absolutely need to although I DO NOT want to test the AA defenses unless there is no choice."

The druid appeared slightly embarassed as he spoke and it seemed likely he really was slightly downcast over his piloting failure. As he looked at the others preparing to all get out he flicked his eyestalks and agreed:

"Also, safety in numbers. Oh...before I forget."

He rummaged through his pockets and pulled out a wad of bills and handed them to Rex.

"We are going to need to get fuel and I would like to get some navigating tools but since I am terrible at negotiation I would request you to handle the actual purchases if you would."

As the party left the ship, he checked to ensure it was locked and then set out towards the pile of crashed ships he had seen on the way in. As he entered it he found his eyes nictating rapidly at all of the desirable features he saw and found himself noting several for acquiring after their next payday. Meanwhile he kept scanning the crowd until he saw what he was looking for.

Set up in the stove in side of a crashed Caravel he spotted a table manned by what appeared to be a middle aged beheld complete with several pieces from various ships systems including the Dextant he needed and...an astral waves scanner? These were essential items. As he approached he waved off the Beheld's introduction of himself as T'zche and the attempt to upsell the capabilities of the various instruments as he proceeded to pick up, examine and poke and pry in every conceivable way the pieces in question. After satisfying himself of their capabilities he turned to look for the warlock:

"I think these will assist in ensuring we find the quickest possible routes in the future. Do you think we can purchase them out of ship funds? Then we will just have to find a good source for fuel."

Relying on his companion's negotiating skills as he heard T'Zche's begin discussing how he had nothing but the best fuel grades including Premium as well as some ethically sourced alternatives for the more discerning buyer, B'Xli began studying the various mods available to see what they should look into once they had a few more funds under their belts. He was fairly confident that ultimately they would pay fairly close to a reasonable price but suspected if he had relied on his own skills, he would have paid far too much (based on numerous memories he didn't like to revisit)

Seramus
2022-06-18, 10:13 PM
M'alax quickly produces the credits necessary to contribute to the purchase of fuel and navigation tools. In truth, he barely seems to be aware that he had money in the first place, and may not be entirely aware of how much he is giving away.

"Sure, it sounds like some of those tools will make things easier in the long run. Getting lost after a dogfight in the sky could be... a very bad thing. Especially now that those massive things are floating around in Panopticon Space. While many of them are beautiful, they are probably even more dangerous."

Once they are out of the cutter, he is immediately assaulted by the miserable heat of the place. Even with his chitin, being a fairly pale M'qa meant that he burned easily. He swaddles his trenchcoat tighter, then floats straight up and high into the air to get a better view of things and orient himself. Urrrgh, the smog was so much worse than back home.

Just looking around to help us avoid getting lost, and make it easier to find the address.

sandmote
2022-06-19, 04:05 PM
Ag'zear carefully counts out his portion of the cost for the navigation equipment--both pieces. "For saving fuel on the return journey," he notes, assuming that was part of the plan anyway. "Now lets find our contact; the heat must be bad enough without a metal coat. Anyone see a guide or a map?"

TriciaOso
2022-06-20, 08:58 AM
Ag'zear and M'alax, looking around for transport, you see that on the edge of the space port, more vendors in various degrees of ragtag have options for you: beast-drawn carriages (with or without drivers), individual accelerator headbands that can be hired, and telekinetic rickshaws pulled by locals, mostly kids. If you want a guide, you should probably hire a coach with a driver, or one of the rickshaws.

M'alax, your slightly higher perception also picks out the local militia. They are not in uniforms, but have a common shade of makeup on one side of their heads showing a stylized goat's head.

clash
2022-06-20, 11:44 AM
After having paid to fuel the cutter Rex find himself somewhat eager to improve their navigation. Perhaps too much so as he settled on a price above what he thought the tools would normally cost. Maybe it was the atmosphere though, or the heat. Whichever, the price was still within reason so he let it be. He was eager to get back on track for why they were traveling to begin with.

"We have the address for the cafe. We should see if we can find what we need without causing trouble" he meant what he said but that didn't stop the font in his eye. He had long since come down from his high of the last mission and was hoping there would be a fight getting during the extraction but he wasn't looking to cause trouble just yet.

Rex approaches one of the beast drawn coaches with a driver at random. "Me and my men are looking for transportation to a local cafe. We heard it has the best coffee on the planet. What can you do for us?" He asks giving the driver the address.

TriciaOso
2022-06-20, 11:58 AM
The driver recognizes the address, and for $5 you hire him to take you. The traffic jam on the major streets is horrible, but once you reach the smaller neighborhood of narrower alleys where the cafe is, things move more smoothly. The driver parks his vehicle illegally and lets you off in front of the Cafe Du L'œil. A spoken word poet is working on stage.

You spot your contact, based on the description you were giving; he is the only B'nxamite you see in the room. He is drinking coffee with a N'Xenian Beheld with a single horn and a wispy goatee, and a scar that crosses his eye.

Seramus
2022-06-20, 05:22 PM
M'alax piles out of the coach and does his best to look casual as they head into the cafe. He wasn't good at casual, and always looks a little nervous, but that was a good survival skill. His eyestalks wander around the room, making note of the people who watch them come in, and try to mark the ones who keep looking instead of going back to their normal business.

He whispers to the group, "Are we gliding right in like we mean business, scattering to different tables, or going for a distraction while someone talks to our contact?"

Thrasymedes
2022-06-20, 06:48 PM
"I recommend most of us taking tables and watching while covering Rex's back."

B'Xli whispered back then proceeded into the Cafe where he ordered a Cappucino Latte and a pastry, sat himself down about three tables away from the contact and tried to keep an eye on who else in the cafe might be observing their contact or reacting to his party.

Unfortunately, as he took a drink from his Latte, he twitched a little as Rex arrived and managed to scald half the front of his face with the drink (perhaps a little overheated). He promptly began trying to cool his mouth and face down while trying to flag down a server for another order and wipe himself down. Unfortunately, warmish pastries, fresh from the over are not the most effective at treating a scorched tongue. Between all his actions, he suspected he might be serving as a distraction but definitely not as the backup he had hoped to be.

Sirithhyando
2022-06-21, 03:01 PM

Silent'ma followed the group as much as it could. Though its attention wasn't on any task he was or not suppose to do. Brak'ma found a little shop on the way that seems to sell some paint, and Brak'ma was getting low on supplies. Can we please stop in that shop when we get back? A pleading face was looking at whoever humored the Beheld.

As they got to the café, the plan was made by the others. The name of the café caught too much of Brak'ma attention who mostly understood the description of the contact.

As they got in, some went their own way to play it "stealthy". Brak'ma went straight to the contact. That scar suits you well, i'm in need of a model for my next painting. You'd be riding a goat with that goatee of yours. Or you could play cards with my friends, around the table, having a discussion in a cute café, that would be wonderful setting. What do you say?

sandmote
2022-06-21, 03:10 PM
Ag'zear files in quickly, taking a spot at the nearest empty table to the B'nxamite. He gets himself a red eye, grumbling the trip into the city took longer than expected (although he doesn't specify from where) then goes back to checking the same papers he'd been going over in the shuttle. Now, though, three of his eyestalks take quick glances around the room to search for anything that might mean a trap or other threat.

clash
2022-06-21, 07:37 PM
Rex approaches the table where their context is sitting. "A man with a scar is a man with a story." Rex comments with a smile. "don't Don't let the uniforms fool you. I believe we have a mutual friend, W'zwzxi" he offers.

They weren't given any code for making contact so the name drop would have to do.

TriciaOso
2022-06-22, 08:00 AM
The B'nxamite looks up at the two of you consideringly, and seems to like what he sees. The revolutionary vibe between you is incredibly strong in this moment, and although your conversation is surface level, you understand each other perfectly.

(22 Persuasion and Nat 20 Insight)

"Yes, he's a good friend. You can call me... Caleb." Some of the more dedicated admirers of the Outsiders have started adopting outlandish names like this. "This is another friend of mine, a local cartoonist. He's always wanted to see B'Nxam."

The local with the scar and the wispy goatee is Xl'va.

The other Beheld addresses Brak'ma. "I'd love to meet your asociates, but perhaps in a more intimate setting. It's quite crowded here. I have a place."

Seramus
2022-06-22, 08:48 AM
M'alax orders a couple of fruity drinks. You don't just sit down at a cafe and not order anything, it was rude. He slides a couple credits to pay, and a modest tip, then pretends to listen to the open Mike night while keeping an eye on... did B'Xli spill his drink on himself? Hahaha.

clash
2022-06-22, 10:46 PM
Rex points first at Malax then Axgear whispering a message to convey the plan to them. This could be a trap but the contact knew what he was supposed to say least. He'd played worse odds and to be honest this was already taking too long. "Lead the way"

TriciaOso
2022-06-23, 08:40 AM
"Your place... is also crowded," points out Caleb.

"Yes, but the people there are my friends," says Xl'va.

"You don't know that," protests Caleb. It's clear this is a long-standing argument.

"I trust them. They are seekers after truth." There is a little bit of pious confidence around Xl'va that you would guess someone might pick up if they come back from the dead. "And our new friends can rest there."

"They don't need to rest if you just get on the ship and leave with them," Caleb says in a frustrated whisper.

"I won't leave without X'htd," declares Xl'va. "And now the Lord of Dragons has sent these fine fellows to help us rescue him."

It sounds like Xl'va has some ideas of his own about this mission.

Thrasymedes
2022-06-23, 01:59 PM
B'Xli continued wiping himself off and then glanced at the table where the others were talking. It looked like they were still talking...a little loudly for his taste but not loud enough for him to understand them. He took the time to order a second drink (iced this time) while paying his bill and readying himself to follow the others once they finally moved. He would give them a few minutes before interrupting them if he needed to do so.

Seramus
2022-06-23, 03:30 PM
M'alax had keen earholes, trained to eavesdrop on the people he had to follow. A figurative lightbulb goes off over his head when he hears the discussion happening over at the bar. X'htd? Another one of the reborn? And he wasn't going to leave without the other person? That... might be good for the Resistance. He didn't know. If one Palimsest was worth saving, two might be twice as good!

He picks up a fruity drink with one eyestalk and casually wanders over to the same table as B'Xli. With a very low whisper, he explains "That guy wants us to save someone else. Another reborn, just like them."

He lingers just long enough to hear any reply from B'Xli, then takes his fruity drink and wanders over to Ag'zear, repeating the same message. "That guy wants us to save someone else. Another reborn, just like them."

Once again, he waits just long enough to hear any reply from Ag'zear, and then continues to wander around and asks completely unrelated people different questions like who was doing stand up tonight, and other awkward small talk to cover up his initial messages.

Thrasymedes
2022-06-24, 08:29 AM
B'xli nodded to M'alax:

"If both are ready to go we can fit them in. Let's do it if it can be done quickly. We can go with our contact to his friend and then leave with or without the second if he refuses. I can go hail another taxi."

As he finished responding, B'xli went over to pay his bill then prepared to head outside and flag down another vehicle (or two) to transport them.

sandmote
2022-06-24, 02:21 PM
"Well, no plan survives contact, and all that. Let's see what we can get done." After a few minutes he finishes his drink and packs his stuff. "A good place to take stock and reorganize," he mentions to the staff as he pays.

Soon he's outside, keeping eyes on the rest of the party from a inconspicuous distance.

clash
2022-06-25, 01:46 PM
"two for the price of one" Rex concedes and heads outside with the others waiting for their contacts expectantly.

TriciaOso
2022-06-26, 09:06 AM
Xl'va comes out onto the sidewalk, trailing Brak'ma and Rex, and picking up the rest of you as he goes; Caleb mutters his apologies and splits off, his work here done. The rest of you trail after the revolutionary as he leads you through some winding streets to an abandoned house where what looks like a permanent house party is happening.

"This is where it happened!" he booms, and the Beheld in the yard cheer raggedly. "This is where the Exarch struck me down with his own blade, his memory gone, his soul corrupted!"

It appears that he has taken over this house and made it into a sort of makeshift shrine to the Three Palimpsests / museum to himself and his briefly-fallen comrades. The vibe of the crowd is strange; some seem reverent, others interested, and it seems like some of them are just here for the drinks.

"Come inside and I will explain..." He leads you to his bedroom, although he has to chase out a pair of Beheld who were in here sharing dreams in his bed. "There is no discipline and no respect on this planet." He wags himself wearily. "I will be glad to leave, although I celebrate my chance to bring the teachings of Bahamut here."

"X'htd has been taken by a former agent of the Dragnet, P'qma" he explains. "The man is disgraced... he believes if he can deliver us to his superiors, he will win back his former honors. He is waiting because he knows I will not leave my friend in his clutches, and he hopes to deliver both of us. I was prepared to fight him alone.... but the King of Dragons has sent me aid in my hour of need! The God is good!"

Sirithhyando
2022-06-26, 12:12 PM

Brak'ma followed up until they got to Xl'va bedroom and stopped Look, i know you said you wanted a more intimate settings, but that might be too intimate don't you think? Thinking a moment, Brak'ma added Well, i might be persuaded if you pay a little extra for the painting.

Yes! Brak'ma is totally oblivious and still thinking of painting. :smallbiggrin:

Brak'ma listened to Xl'va story, perplexed Wait, a king sent us? It looked around at the others The one who sent us was a king? Should've told me, i might've washed around the stalk a little better, i think there was still food around there.

Seramus
2022-06-26, 03:01 PM
M'alax floats outside along with everyone else once he could do so without drawing attention. Then he checks out the new apartment this dragon worshipper leads them to.

"So, what's it like having everyone listen to you? Hanging on your every word? You have so much power over them, how do you know you're doing the right thing?"

"And what did this Dragnet person do to get shamed and dishonored?"

There were plenty more questions to ask the Palimpsest, but these were a good start.

Meanwhile, M'alax also spares a few eyestalks to check Brak'ma for bits of food. Hounds could follow their trail more easily if he had food on him.

sandmote
2022-06-26, 03:24 PM
Ag'zear motions an eyestalk to Brak'ma. "I believe he means the new god everyone is talking about." Focusing back on Xl'va, he continues "we were sent here for you specifically, and weren't aware of the situation on the ground. Can you give us any detail on the situation? It'll be a bit hard to give this P'qma a 'visit' if we can't find him and a bit hard to rescue your friend without knowing where he is."

Thrasymedes
2022-06-26, 06:55 PM
B'xli nodded at the questions of the others while raising an eyebrow at Brak'ma. Turning to Xl'va he then sought to follow up on Ag'zear's words:

"Does Pl'kma have any companions or subordinates who might get involved or is he the only one guarding your friend? Is there a chance he could involve guards or Panopticon forces? If we try this without knowing who we face and what they have prepared none of us will be able to leave the planet and there will be no hope for others such as you and he could bring."

TriciaOso
2022-06-26, 09:15 PM
M'alax floats outside along with everyone else once he could do so without drawing attention. Then he checks out the new apartment this dragon worshipper leads them to.

"So, what's it like having everyone listen to you? Hanging on your every word? You have so much power over them, how do you know you're doing the right thing?"

"And what did this Dragnet person do to get shamed and dishonored?"

There were plenty more questions to ask the Palimpsest, but these were a good start.

Meanwhile, M'alax also spares a few eyestalks to check Brak'ma for bits of food. Hounds could follow their trail more easily if he had food on him.

"It is... a high honor. Not something I ever expected, when it was just the four of us and the Box. But it is my duty to tell people what I saw on the Other Side."

"P'qma was a commander in the Dragnet. He assembled the taskforce of police that came here to retrieve the box from us. But he didn't know--no one knew--the three officers he assembled were the Palimpsests themselves -- the Exarch, the Tactician and the Lover themselves. They were reborn on this world, their memories removed and hidden inside the Box."

"He had a fated part to play in their restoration, despite his ill-intentions. Naturally, the Panoptica punished him for that."

Ag'zear motions an eyestalk to Brak'ma. "I believe he means the new god everyone is talking about." Focusing back on Xl'va, he continues "we were sent here for you specifically, and weren't aware of the situation on the ground. Can you give us any detail on the situation? It'll be a bit hard to give this P'qma a 'visit' if we can't find him and a bit hard to rescue your friend without knowing where he is."

"I know exactly where he is. He wants me to come for my friend. It's a trap, of course, but I cannot leave X'htd there and he knows it."

B'xli nodded at the questions of the others while raising an eyebrow at Brak'ma. Turning to Xl'va he then sought to follow up on Ag'zear's words:

"Does Pl'kma have any companions or subordinates who might get involved or is he the only one guarding your friend? Is there a chance he could involve guards or Panopticon forces? If we try this without knowing who we face and what they have prepared none of us will be able to leave the planet and there will be no hope for others such as you and he could bring."

"He no longer has official resources to draw on, but he has support from counterrevolutionaries. The wild and wanton methods of the Satyr League have left many ordinary Beheld wary of the new world before us... they want to go back to a more predictable experience."

"He could call in the Dragnet at any time, of course, tell him he has one of the Reborn... but he would rather have us both before he makes that call."

clash
2022-06-26, 09:42 PM
Rex smiles. This kept getting better and better. "If it's a trap then let us spring it. He won't be expecting us and I've been itched for a bit of action. If we occupy the ambush, your should be able to sneak by and rescue him, and if you can't, we'll get you both out once the trap is dealt with."

Rex looked to his companions to see what they thought of his plan. It wasn't much of one, but he prefers not too work with to many details. Tended not too work out how you planned anyways.

Seramus
2022-06-27, 03:34 AM
M'alax floats around the room for a moment, eyestalks peering around and every nook and cranny of the bedroom. Something about the whole situation didn't feel right, and the vague answers from Xl'va were not helping. But he had to trust the Resistance wanted better things for the people of this place than the Panopticon did, so he nods along with Rex.

"I'm fine with springing the trap also. We can even try to keep some of us hidden, to spring out and trap the trappers. I feel bad he god duped and shamed for it, but maybe we can even talk this fellow into working for us. It's worth a try.'

Thrasymedes
2022-06-27, 09:24 AM
"Is it somewhere we could stage a cutter to?"

B'xli asked not very hopefully, then twitched his eyestalks:

"If not, I would somewhat like to secure the ship better before we go. How far from here is the location and was a time set? I definitely support keeping some of us concealed but am curious what he stipulated and if the area is open or a confined space and how long we have to plan and recon."

TriciaOso
2022-06-28, 08:24 AM
"Is it somewhere we could stage a cutter to?"

B'xli asked not very hopefully, then twitched his eyestalks:

"If not, I would somewhat like to secure the ship better before we go. How far from here is the location and was a time set? I definitely support keeping some of us concealed but am curious what he stipulated and if the area is open or a confined space and how long we have to plan and recon."

Xl'va thinks about this. "Perhaps... his faction has taken control of the Q'Rp Observatory, the former Dragnet headquarters. It's surrounded by a large open space, and you might be able to get a small ship in there, much easier than you could take it through the streets. If you could negotiate permission from the air traffic controllers. They do have siege weapons there, however -- that's why the Satyr League has allowed them to hold it this long."

"No time is set -- it is an open invitation to surrender myself to them."

Seramus
2022-06-28, 01:26 PM
M'alax floats around in a lazy circle as he imagines the Q'Rp Observatory. Such an impressive looking telescope, surely someone could see to the very edge of the heavens and even beyond! Of course, he had been up close and personal when the heavens shattered on that fateful day, but what had it looked like from the observatory? Perhaps they had recordings of it of some kind, though he wasn't sure what those would look like.

"What about sewers or other entrances? Maybe even secret tunnels from the prohibition days when the Panopticon outlawed fun? Sneaking in seems like a good way to avoid siege weapons, and maybe even give us a chance to disable them while the main group walks into the trap?"

Thrasymedes
2022-06-28, 01:44 PM
"That would be very useful. I confess, I do not like the idea of siege weapons against us. Unless anyone here has any private police contacts, I don't think we are going to get the cutter in range since I don't have any contacts in this city among air traffic control."

He floated around in a vertical loop while thinking:

"If we do find a way in, who would want to be in the bait group? I feel like doing this at night or in the early morning might help again."

clash
2022-06-28, 06:36 PM
"I volunteer for the bait group on the cutter, but I think that goes without saying. We'll need at least one more for a pilot. Bx'li I assume that means you? I think we should have the bulk of us go inside though if possible. We're just the diversion after all"

Rex looked to Bx'li for his response then to the others to see if they agree.

sandmote
2022-06-28, 11:46 PM
"Arrive on the cutter if we can, parking away from the siege weapons. Perhaps saying we've captured you?" Ag'zear motions to Xl'va. "Then once inside we attempt a breakout?"

Thrasymedes
2022-06-29, 08:41 AM
"If we all arrive in the cutter, we will have to land out of sight or they will ask about it holding too many people. I would be good with flying it along with Rex. Do we want to try and find the tunnel to see if others can sneak in that way? I wonder if we can convince the ATC to let us fly it by telling them we are getting Xl'va out of their hair so he no longer bothers them."

Seramus
2022-06-30, 05:53 AM
M'alax bobs his face sharply.

"I think we've got a good plan, we just need to make sure a tunnel like that or, at least, some kind of second entrance actually exists. Someone should check blueprints for the building, and I can search the nearby buildings for signs of a tunnel or something."

"Then we can arrange clearance for the cutter with the Satyr League, and set up a meeting time with the bad guy himself."

Sirithhyando
2022-06-30, 11:46 AM

Of course there's a second entrance, an old tunnel no one really remembers. Its ugly, dark and grey, i painted some of it at some point, not sure how it ended up though, didn't bring enough light to look at the end result. When i wanted to get away for a while i used to go there though i didn't really know where i was, only that others didn't seems to be able to find me when i was there. Good times. Brak'ma smiled reminescing the good times.

TriciaOso
2022-07-01, 08:15 AM
Xl'va heads out onto a balcony and addresses his crowd of followers.

"Children of the Great Dragon!" he declares. "I greet you in the name of Bahamut, and his Aspect T'mzeuch, and in the name of my absent co-prophet X'Htd! The time has come for us to depart from you, and journey elsewhere in this great system. By the grace of the Custodian of Melinor, it has been vouchsafed to me to share the good news of the world beyond with you, but now I must depart."

"I call on you to keep this house as a holy shrine to the place where the Three Palimpsests regained their memories, and as the point from which their pilgrimage truly began. From here to N'Bu, and then to M'qa to save our world and very souls."

"Now my own great pilgrimage begins, aided by these agents of the Justice-bringer, sent here to deliver me. Please, lend them what aid you can... we have need of communication devices, if any among you can spare them."

"Remember always that our victory and freedom was bought in blood, paid for in loyalty and in determination. And that the Palimpsests came so that we could live in good order, as citizens of a greater world. Fall not prey to the temptation of hedonism, becoming each your own Demiurge, lost in selfishness and solipsism. This is the great besetting sin of our race, against which we must be ever vigilant..."

It goes on like this for a while.

Some of the crowd are moved to tears; others keep playing telekinetic beer-pong. Some of you (with a Passive Perception of 15) spot a Beheld with the Satyr League face paint in the crowd, and he seems... determined. He shoves through the crowd towards the stairs to talk to you, forcing his way through the clamor of volunteers ready to share their communication devices.

Xl'va distributes the EyePhones among you, and the three of you headed for the tunnels set out. Well, you start to set out. Somehow between the balcony and the door, you get swept up in a raucous drinking game with some of the Satyr League. Ag'zear and M'alax, you disentangle yourselves after a bit, but lose track of Brak'ma in the confusion. You head for the tunnel, hoping he'll catch up.

A moment later, the Satyr League agent catches up with the rest of you. Closer to, you can see his goat's-head is not painted on but tattooed; a more serious revolutionary. He has a thatch of hair weaving through his tentacles and curling ram's horns of his own. He seems more conservative than many N'Xenians you've met, but maybe that's just how he dresses.

"The name's T'rr," he says shortly. "Air Traffic Control. We spoke earlier."

Brak'ma:

Man, it's good to be breathing the smog of good old N'Xena again! Although your enlistment took you around the system and eventually stranded you on B'Nxam, this was always home. And now that the Satyr League has taken over, the good times are rolling, art is free, and there's plenty of chaos! It's paradise!

Somewhere along the line you lost track of your comrades. You somewhat tipsily explain to your new friends that you need to get back to your mission, and somehow end up explaining more about the mission than you intended. It's all good, though. These are fellow revolutionary artists! In fact, as you get talking about it, a brilliant idea emerges...

Ag'zear, M'alax:

In the hills around T'Lah stands an iconic sign. It was originally erected as an advertisement for a housing development, but while the housing development has come and gone, the sign is still here, declaring the name T'LAH in vast white letters. From here you can look down on the whole city, if the smog is thin enough; but Q'Rp Observatory is always visible. The open parkland around it leads up into a canyon that brings you here.

The entrance to the old smuggling tunnels are around here somewhere, behind the apostrophe...

B'Xli, Rex and Xl'va:

"Nice speech," T'rr says. "Explains a lot. We had some questions about that cutter... always would about a B'nxam police cutter, and even more once we saw how it had been modified. But I think I get it now. You could have saved some time by telling us you were here to take this crank out of our hair. I can clear you for a takeoff within the hour."

"We must not leave without X'Htd," intones Xl'va.

"Yeah, that's what I thought you'd say, you dumb ****ing dragon," T'rr sighs. "Let's hear the plan."

sandmote
2022-07-01, 12:14 PM
"Well, might as well get cracking." Ag'zear pauses for a moment. "Huh. First time I wasn't about to hit someone before I said that."

He takes a look around, and then checks to see if the supports for the apostrophe is loose and small enough for him to lift telepathically.

Thrasymedes
2022-07-01, 12:49 PM
"T'rr, good to meet you. Almost wish we had told you but had no idea how you felt about him and hadn't realized that he was already that much of an eyesore for you. The plan is for me and one other to fly our friend here over for a 'prisoner exchange' at the observatory and then try to break X'htd out and take both of them off planet and out of your hair. Whichever way it goes, they will be no longer your problem since we will either succeed or get captured, though I hope for and expect the former.

My thought is that we could either file a flight plan to fly to the observatory and then offworld with a window about 15 minutes after touchdown claiming we are going to do a prisoner exchange and then transfer offworld or if your office wouldn't clear that we could file a flight plan to get offworld and then report an 'emergency' and briefly touch down by the observatory for 'repairs'. The final option is to only file to the observatory but I DON'T fancy the idea of waiting for an exit window during a hot exit. What do you think?"

B'Xli appears relieved to have a fellow professional to discuss flight planning with and a tiny bit of his nervousness appears to leave him.

Seramus
2022-07-01, 01:20 PM
M'alax smiles broadly at the giant white letters. He had always seen images of it in advertisements, and there's a small thrill at being here in person. How often did they clean it? How many times had it been defaced? Haha.

He snaps himself out of his thoughts and joins Mr. Ownclub in trying to lift the opening to the tunnels.

"I can't believe an entrance was right here the whole time. In plain sight!"

clash
2022-07-04, 06:53 PM
Rex wasn't really paying much attention to all the ceremony. Wasn't his thing. He just wanted to get the cutter in the air and fire that hardpoint at something like those siege weapons that could actually shoot back. Suddenly he looked up to see Bx'li fishing good way expectantly. "yes umm you help us out with the air traffic control for our cutter and we take some the trouble offworld, in more than one way. Seems like a win win to me" he states kinda rushed still trying to catch up to what he missed.

TriciaOso
2022-07-05, 08:17 AM
T'rr frowns. "So you want permission to fly a cutter within city limits and possibly engage in battle with a police station that is still at least semi-armed? That's a big ask, boys. I--that is to say, the Satyr League--is going to need something more than just taking these troublesome prophets away in exchange."

"There's some records in the old Dragnet station in the Observatory that aren't doing anyone any good. They probably should've been destroyed when we first took the city, but someone was sloppy or they thought it might be valuable to keep all the police files on citizens for the future. Both are possible. If you can destroy those along the way, we've got a deal."

"I'm not picky, by the way... you can just burn the whole building down, if that's easier for you."

You locate the secret door without much trouble, but having difficulty figuring out how to trigger it. You manage to get it about halfway before it jams; possibly you did something wrong, or maybe it's just rusted beyond usability.

Finesse has failed; it's time for a strength check.

sandmote
2022-07-05, 02:37 PM
Ag'zear pulls up all his strength, "Let's see how much we can get-- it moving."

Seramus
2022-07-05, 06:39 PM
M'alax lines up behind Ag'zear and focuses his telekinetic eyes to help him move the hatch. The little beheld was no great lifter, but every little thing helped.

"On three... 1... 2... 3!"

clash
2022-07-05, 07:51 PM
"Done." Rex agrees to Trr's proposal. "You give us clearance to fly the mission, I will personally burn the whole place to the ground" Rex smiles. Every new complication just made this better.

TriciaOso
2022-07-08, 08:53 AM
"It's a deal, then," says the man from the Satyr League. "Get to it."

A quick telekinetic pedicab brings you back to the spaceport and your waiting ship.

You wrench open the gateway. Beyond, you see a dark tunnel burrowing into the hillside towards the valley below, heavy with the dust of years.

In the valley below, a group of guerilla artists hit the Q'Rrp Observatory with Ceci n'est pas une pipe bombs, damaging their anti-air defenses and blinding the main telescope with paint.

Seramus
2022-07-09, 02:26 PM
M'alax glances around once to be safe, and then plunges into the darkness of the tunnels. Mr. Ownclub was mighty with the lifting, but sneaking into places and scouting is what M'alax does best.

He moves like a nearly soundless ghost, eyestalks peering around every corner, searching the ceilings and floors, then giving the all-clear at each intersection so Ag'zear can move up.

"We should use code names. What do you want yours to be?" He asks excitedly at one point, his voice barely even a whisper beneath his stealthy magic.

Thrasymedes
2022-07-10, 10:25 AM
B'xli spreads his eyestalks a little further apart at T'rr and Rex's casual agreement but says nothing and ultimately nods.

He then quickly jumped in the cab with his companions and did a thorough preflight...twice before calling flight control for clearance to fly to the observatory and then go orbital 30 minutes later.

Looking at his new passenger while waiting for clearance he smirked at him:
"Yes this ship is bigger than it initially appeared, please declare any bags of holding, improved prison wallets and other extra dimensional items before boarding to prevent unnecessary damage to reality. Oh well, you already boarded so I guess you're clean"

Once this is received, he fired up the engine and flew it over towards the observatory pausing just before they entered its airspace to permit Rex to call in their approach and do the convincing of others that Rex was so much better at.

sandmote
2022-07-10, 05:53 PM
Ag'zear rolls an eyestalk at M'alax's excitement. "Call me clumsy," he replies, his armor once again making an awkward noise. "Thanks for the help staying quiet."

Rolled a natural 5 (with disadvantage from the armor). that's 16 with the Pass Without Trace

clash
2022-07-10, 06:41 PM
Rex eyes up the weapons in the observatory through the scope. He was very tempted to shoot first rather than walk into the ambush. Don't get him wrong. The ambush didn't bother him. He was just worried that he might not get a chance to fire the hardpoint if the more subtle approach worked.

"Q'rp Observatory air space, the is sergeant V'sarius. We have a prisoner captured were told is off particular value to you. I'm hoping to exchange it for a little bit of good will towards to militia here in T'lah. His name is Xl'va. Interested?"

TriciaOso
2022-07-11, 08:47 AM
There's a long panicked pause on the other end, and then a reply.

Roger, B'Nxam cruiser, we are very interested. Have you notified the Dragnet of your capture?

Without waiting for an answer, you see the front door open and a few Draggers in ragged but correct uniforms come out. The one in the lead is grizzled and balding, supporting a massive moustache, and popping pills from little capsule like a Beheld with a bad ulcer.

They look suspicious but eager, but then a bell inside starts ringing, and they just look suspicious. A couple of weapon emplacements swivel to point at the cutter.

M'alax, Ag'zear, you make your way through the narrow brick tunnel as silently as you can. The tunnels are long-abandoned, partially choked with debris and abandoned junk from the smuggling operation; wheelbarrows, barrels and balks of timber.

As you creep towards the exit, M'alax, you look up and spot a scrying camera mounted unobtrusively in the space where the brick has fallen out. All you can do is hope no one is watching, or if they are your command of the shadows was good enough.

That hope is dashed as a bell down the corrider, muffled on the other side of the door, begins to ring.

A stave on one of the barrels lashes out and strikes M'alax, grappling him.

Thrasymedes
2022-07-11, 07:12 PM
"We're going hot. B'xli snapped out as the bell began ringing. Immediately he gestured at the tower to his left causing a giant billow of cloud to form between them.
As he frantically tried to yank one of the controls with his left hand to skew the ship's descent a few feet to the right he called back to Rex: "Kill the right tower. I am covering the left one."

clash
2022-07-11, 11:30 PM
Rex takes the cue from Bx'li. He had been ready at the trigger already waiting to watching something go to in smoke. He quickly chanted the incantation then while aiming the hardpoint at the tower then felt the heat surge through him as he released 1, 2, then 3 perfect shots in a matter of seconds hitting his mark each time.

sandmote
2022-07-12, 11:48 AM
"That's probably on me," Ag'zear notes, bringing his weapon down on the Barrel as soon as he can.

18 to attack the mimic, for 7 piercing damage and 3 force damage.

Seramus
2022-07-12, 02:59 PM
M'alax yowls plaintively as the barrel lashes out at him and then... sticks to him?! What the heck? A flash of metal glints in the hallway as the pale little beheld draws a length of sharpened metal with telekinesis, and then jabs it violently at the 'wood' sticking to him. At the same time, a WHUFF of air sounds out as another eye thrusts telekinetic force at the body of the barrel.

"Bad touch, bad touch!"

25 to hit with shortsword. 10 slashing damage. 16 to hit with unarmed. 5 bludgeoning damage.

TriciaOso
2022-07-13, 09:46 AM
The attacks all land, smashing in the sides of the barrel and revealing pale flesh under the woody carapace. It still doesn't release M'alax, however, and the lid flaps open to reveal a toothy maw. It chomps down on M'alax's flesh; the bite itself is no great thing, but the bile that floods out of its mouth scalds the skin.

Down the corridor you can hear the sound of angry Dragnet militia coming to investigate.

As the right hand dome begins to open, Rex puts several pulses of fire directly into it, and it explodes in a sphere of flame. From the other side of the fog cloud, the other tower fires blindly, an actinic beam that narrowly misses the ship.

The Dragnet militia scurry hurriedly back towards the gates of the Observatory. Xl'va moves to the side of the cutter and leaps off into space, feather-falling to the ground. As he falls, spectral armor and weapons form around him, the regalia of a Dragonknight.

"P'QMA, YOU COWARD!" he bellows at their commander, pointing his hovering greatsword. "FIGHT ME!" There's the shivery cadence of magic on that last demand.

The mustached commander growls and runs back towards the prophet. As he does, he tosses another pill into his mouth and seems to convulse and swell with fury. He draws his own weapon, a heavy-looking nightstick, and brings it down on Xl'va in a bruising blow. "I'm not afraid of any ghost!" he screams back.

The rest of the militia clusters in the doorway, unsure how to proceed.

Thrasymedes
2022-07-13, 08:38 PM
"Paladins. Rex, do you want to tell me when you are ready to take out that tower. On second thought, I will drop the cloud in 5-4-3-2-1...now."

He shakes his head while steering the ship forward and a little right, placing himself just short of the entrance and about 15' up and then readies himself to make the ship dance.

He is using his move to fly about 50' forward, 5' up and 5' right. This should put him about 70' short of the entrance and centered on the main doors. He is then dropping his concentration on Fog Cloud (I believe leading to its disappearance) and then takes the Dodge Action while waiting for Rex to shoot.

clash
2022-07-14, 09:31 AM
Rex was already preparing to shoot again, so when Bx'li suggested the other tower he was ready. He started gathering energy during the countdown and quickly repeated his earlier incantation. The cloud dropped and Rex released his shots aimed perfectly at where he was expecting the tower to be.

Unfortunately he had estimated poorly. The first shot missed and he largely overcorrected the second before getting it close again on the third. No direct hits though.

"Damn! Shot wide"

sandmote
2022-07-15, 02:34 PM
Ag'zear groans "We don't have time for that thing." He brings his weapon in for another blow. "Chuck it and race to the door?" he questions afterward.

14 to hit for 10 damage. Not spending the psi die at this time.

Seramus
2022-07-15, 02:40 PM
"Okay, it's burning. It's literally eating me alive! Chuck it? It... it's stuck to me!"

M'alax blurts out in alarm, and a second gleam of metal slides out of his pack. His eyestalks flex around to get a good look at those chompers, and then both sharp blades drive into the teeth chowing down upon his chitin. The first scrapes and scrabbles along it's barrel-like body without finding any purchase, but the second finds a nice squishy gap between gum and tooth

10 to hit on the 1st attack. 19 to hit on the second attack. 7 damage on the second attack.

TriciaOso
2022-07-16, 08:42 AM
The barrel looks badly battered, carapace stove in. Between the slats it looks less like a barrel and more like the amorphous predator it is. It's a trained guardbeast, but even it has its limits. It releases the shadow monk and flops over, cowering and trying to look like a harmless object once more.

Unfortunately, at that point three Dragnet militia comes down the corridor and point eyestalks at you. They are carrying their namesake nets, but open with a salvo of Vicious Mockery.

"Get on the ground, scum!"

"Drop your weapons, rebel trash!"
The one on the left just waits.

The telescope from the remaining tower orients, its view now clear, and fires on the cutter, but misses, the beam striking down a hideous statue of a fallen Dragnet hero.

Xl'va strikes at Pq'ma, his blade going wide, but then reverses the stroke and rips the Beheld open from pole to pole. It seems impossible he could've survived, but the medicated Captain only wavers and then roars defiance, spittle flying. Xl'va lands another strike that still somehow doesn't end the Captain, although he looks genuinely on death's door.

The Draggers in the doorway rally to his side and run out, surrounding Xl'va. Two of them entangle him in their nets, allowing their captain to strike methodically at the restrained prophet and land a crushing blow with his club. He honestly doesn't look much better than P'qma.

sandmote
2022-07-16, 05:42 PM
Ag'zear flinches from the orders, losing his aim with his weapon as he turns on the nearest attacker. He misses wildly, but whirls his weapon again, this time coming down hard on the dragnet. "Drop yourself."

First roll is an 8, which I'm assuming misses.
Action surge allows a second attack action: 22 to hit for 11 piercing and 6 force damage

Thrasymedes
2022-07-16, 06:06 PM
Rex, kill that tower now, I am getting Xl'va!

B'xli slewed the boat around and aimed it almost directly at the fight. As he got in range he gestured and a wave of fire enveloped Pq'ma and his nearest minion while licking at the nets binding Xl'va but not quite scorching him. As the flare die, a tongue of flame ran straight up to Xl'va and vanished in another sheet of flame which again washed over the Draggers and their leader. When it cleared Xl'va was gone.

As soon as he took a breath Bx'li snapped to Xl'va now sprawled in the bottom of the boat... about 10' up: Fix yourself up now.

He is moving 60' back to end up 10'out and 10' up from Xl'va. He is summoning Wildfire spirit as an action at the closest point to Pq'ma that won't harm Xl'va. Then using bonus action to have spirit run to Xl'va and teleport him into the boat...10' up and about 10' back. All while trusting Rex to kill the turret.

Seramus
2022-07-17, 06:50 AM
M'alax scrunches his eyesockets in pain from the still sizzling bite woundd along his flank. And then he tumbles towards the armed guards to get up in their faces, sharp metal glinting in the dim light as he lashes out at them.

"We're not scum. We used to be YOU!"

Nat 20 to hit. 12 damage. Nat 1 on the second attack.

TriciaOso
2022-07-17, 07:43 PM
The Dragger who had not acted -- a lieutenant, according to his threadbare uniform -- clubs Ag'zear as he comes close, but it's not enough to stop the Beheld from smashing down one of the two shouting Draggers; the psionic force finishes him off. At the same time, M'alax puts his shortsword through the eye of the other.

As the monk moves to strike the Lieutenant, his eye widens as he shouts out a spell, and M'alax drops to the ground, deeply asleep. "Get up," the lieutenant snarls at the mimic, and it half-heartedly and unsuccessfully attacks Ag'zear.

clash
2022-07-17, 08:25 PM
Rex lines up another shot muttering a hex under his breath. He needed to take it the tower. Summoning energy once more he utters the incantation and releases a single beam of pure energy hitting the tower sightly to the left side. Not beholders eye center but it has to have some some serious damage.

TriciaOso
2022-07-17, 08:47 PM
The force damage blasts in the dome over the weapon emplacement as P'qma and his men scurry back into the building.

As they try to shut it behind them, the door shudders and jams halfway; the classic 'penny in the door' trick. Having been opened, it won't close again without major maintenace -- another sabotage from Brak'ma and the guerilla artists.

"I was trying to give him an honorable death," moans Xl'va, badly injured. "But he brought in his men first. My conscience is clear."

sandmote
2022-07-18, 03:02 PM
Unable to press the attack and wake M'alax at once, Ag'zear does decide to try taking a moment to steady his nerves and resist falling down himself.

"Gah; stay back, thing," he snarls at the mimic before swinging for the Lieutenant. Even bolstered by his psionic strength the attack is weak and inaccurate.

Bonus action: Second Wind for 5 hit points (the minimum)
Attack roll 13 for 5 piercing and 5 force damage.

Thrasymedes
2022-07-18, 04:48 PM
Do you think you can take out the guys through the doors. Or just the doors Rex? If not ask the other group how they're doing."

B'xli began to accelerate the craft back towards the observatory doors and showed no sign of slowing down.

He is dashing with the ship which should put him about 20-30' short of the doors... this turn.

clash
2022-07-18, 08:57 PM
Rex turned his sights after destroying the second tower to the retreating enemies.

"I'm going after the hostiles" he responded to Bx'li before setting his sights on the men retreating inside. He lined up the shot quickly before losing line of sight and missed hitting the door instead. "Door it is" he corrected himself.

Seramus
2022-07-20, 11:25 AM
M'alax gently drifts down to the floor and snuggles up with some debris. His eyestalks droop into slumber, and he mumbles softly in his sleep.

"...hotstalks in packs of 10, but buns in packs of 8... why?"

TriciaOso
2022-07-22, 09:07 AM
P'qma and his men retreat further into the building; even with the doors blown off, there's no way to take the cutter inside. Determinedly, Xl'va uses his healing on himself and leaps down from the ship, charging inside. He is met by a hail of rapid-fire insults from the doorways as the Draggers deploy their Vicious Mockery cantrips. Only one of the insults--P'qma calls him a poltroon!--seems to truly sting.

The lieutenant commands the mimic to attack again; it wraps its adhesive staves around Ag'zear, setting its master up for a solid blow with his truncheon.

sandmote
2022-07-22, 08:31 PM
Ag'zear winces from the mimic's tentacles, but keeps his focus on trying to keep the Lieutenant's weapon back.

He grabs Malax's sleeping body telepathic, shaking it "Good evening buddy, mind lending an eyestalk?"

Thrasymedes
2022-07-22, 09:18 PM
B'xli snarled as everything went to pieces ...again.

Rex, ask how they're doing.

He then shouted as loudly as he could:
Xl'va. Wrong way. Get back here so we can save him. NOW!

Frantically wracking his brain to try and think which to wear would be closer to the tunnel entrance he held the boat long enough for Xl'va to board if he chose then flew up to the roof by the destroyed turret on the left and sent the fire spirit inside.

Held action to move the ship up to the turret on the left as soon as Xl'va either reaches the boat or keeps going away from it. Command fire spirit to teleport group into the tower once ship is down and he can see inside.

clash
2022-07-22, 09:43 PM
Rex shakes his head frustrated at their lack of progress. They could still do this though. Reluctantly he turns his sights away from the targets instead reaching out to his teammates using the hardpoint as an amplifier. "Axgear, Malax, what's your status?"

Seramus
2022-07-23, 12:59 PM
M'alax offers a plaintive yawn as he's jostled with telekinetic force, and then blinks three or four eyestalks in sudden realization over what happened. He tumbles around behind the Lieutenant, mostly just to wake himself up, and then rises up with both short blades flashing in quick and sharp at his back.

To the strange voice booming in his head, he mumble-shouts back "Trying not to die! Three very rude guards and a hungry barrel."

18 to hit, and 6 piercing. 9 to hit.

TriciaOso
2022-07-25, 07:28 AM
The lieutenant looks around, and with no interest in a fair fight, dimension doors himself and his familiar out of combat. The hallway is now clear for you to proceed; the door at the end remains ajar. You can hear grunts of combat from further into the building.

Xl'va shouts, "I do not fear these whelps!" and charges further into the building.

Well, you tried.

In the right hand tower, the dome has been smashed to bits and the operator of this casting hardpoint is very dead. The hardpoint itself is still intact, and you arrive in time to hear a staticky incoming message.

Q'rrp Observatory militia come in, do you read? This is B'l Ylix Dragnet HQ. You were cut off. Can you confirm you have both rebel leaders on-site?

Thrasymedes
2022-07-25, 11:40 AM
Can you convince them they shouldn't come here Rex? Maybe claim that both rebel leaders died in the ship crash over here or that everyone just fled out the old tunnels?Then I figure we start down towards our friends.

B'xli quickly disconnected the starter on the ship then began looking for the way down from this hard point with the intent of sending his familiar down first. He was ready to try and help Rex with the lies but Rex was the expert on those.

If he can do a quick disable of ship he will. I don't know if aid another is possible on this Deception but would try. Sending familiar to peek down the nearest exit or hallway to see if it is clear.

TriciaOso
2022-07-25, 11:51 AM
Descending through the tower, your familiar sees empty offices and abandoned storage rooms. At the ground level, there is a door leading to the main rooms in the center of the building, where Xl'va jumped out. There are also more stairs leading downward.

Your familiar can either:

Peeking through the door, you can see P'qma and one of the guards crossing the main room, heading to the right hand tower, where Xl'va is now engaging the other two guards.

At the base of the stairs is a secret panel in the wall, now standing open, and a locked door, once again leading to the center of the building. A dusty sign on this door says HOLDING.

clash
2022-07-25, 12:03 PM
Following Bx'li's above Rex responds to the message.

" Q'rrp Observatory responding to HQ. That's a negative. We were drawn out my a hoax. Xl'va is not here and we have no positive I'd on the other one. Our towers our down but the hostile force has been subdued. No reinforcements are required. We'll be looking to book maintenance at your convenience though. Just let us get things cleaned up before sending anyone in"

He paused, waiting to see if they bought it.

TriciaOso
2022-07-25, 12:34 PM
There's a short silence, followed by a semi-hostile sigh.

Copy.

There is a faint undertone of "F***ing amateurs" in the voice.

Seramus
2022-07-25, 12:42 PM
M'alax staggers warily as the lieutenant vanishes, sliding the sharp metal blades away and dragging out the gun he took from the guard a few days ago. He checks over his wounds with an eyestalk, wincing broadly at the sizzled and acid burned chomps taken out of him.

"Alright... I guess everyone knows we're here. But the other folk are counting on us to disable those anti-air guns. Are you ready?"

And, assuming Agzear is, he takes off at a brisk float into the depths of the compound.

sandmote
2022-07-25, 07:00 PM
Ag'zear is very much annoyed but focused on the mission. "Bit tired, but still standing. I'll follow your lead." He follows the much quieter monk into the building.

TriciaOso
2022-07-25, 07:28 PM
M'alax and Ag'zear, the secret panel admits you to a small room. Stairs lead up to the southern antiaircraft tower (and, although you don't know it, B'Xli and Rex). There is also a locked door, leading towards the center of the building on this basement level. A dusty sign on this door says HOLDING; this must be where prisoners were (are?) kept.

Thrasymedes
2022-07-26, 11:26 AM
B'xli turns to Rex and shrugs his eyestalks.
"Let's start down then to find them. This will be useful when it is time to burn the place down."

He proceeds cautiously down the stairs to the first floor and peeks out before sending his familiar down towards the basement. He instructs it to retreat immediately on encountering hostile opponents.

He is descending to the first floor and sending his familiar down to the basement. Priority is finding his companions.

clash
2022-07-26, 11:52 AM
Rex nods. He moves to the hardpoint to send another message through to his teammates. "We're on our way down to you guys. Just hold out for a bit" then he follows Bx'li's lead ready to blow away any hostiles that get in the way.

Seramus
2022-07-26, 12:14 PM
M'alax takes the lead as instructed, darting wearily from one corner to the next, hugging the walls and keeping a low profile. He is about to head up the stairs towards the anti-aircraft weapons at the top of the tower, but the extremely tempting door labeled "HOLDING!" catches his attention. He creeps up to the door and presses his ear-hole against it, listening intently, then fishes around to see how the door opens. Will he need his electronic lockpicks? Or is there a lever somewhere on this side?

TriciaOso
2022-07-26, 12:38 PM
The door is locked and sturdy; it is primarily intended to keep prisoners in, but every Beheld regime is sensitive to the risk of revolt, too. Listening at the door, you can hear muffled voices.

You also hear footsteps on the stairs, and B'Xli's familiar appears.

sandmote
2022-07-26, 09:58 PM
Ag'zear brightens significantly at the sight of the familiar. "I'll assume that way is covered; you good to try the door or should we pull back? I'm not sure I have the stamina for another ambush like the last."

TriciaOso
2022-07-27, 07:51 AM
Moments later, Rex and B'Xli follow the familiar down into the basement, and with the exception of Brak'ma (off with his new artist friends), the party is reunited.

In this room is the locked door that leads to prisoner holding, the secret panel that leads to the tunnel, and stairs which lead up to the rest of the Observatory. The grunts and shouts of P'qma and X'lva locked in combat filter faintly down.

What next?

Thrasymedes
2022-07-27, 06:29 PM
"You look...rough."

M'alax, are you able to open that up while I help Agzear so we can get out with the prisoners and hopefully convince everyone to leave?

Oh. Ack ack is down."

B'xli took a minute to catch his breath and then focused on trying to help Ag'zear.
Cure wounds at level 1. Having familiar stand beside M'alax to help cover him if those behind the door attack

Seramus
2022-07-28, 03:13 PM
"Oh, hello there. I know we were supposed to disable the anti-aircraft weapons before you landed, but we ran into some trouble. Yeah, I can definitely try to get the door open. But... uh... where is X'lva? Is he back on the ship?"

Without waiting for an answer, he turns towards the door and makes an effort to unlock it. A few eyestalks keep a lookout behind him just in case, but most of them are focused on the task of unlocking the door.

clash
2022-07-29, 09:46 AM
Rex grimaces slightly at the mention of Xl'va. "Things didn't exactly go as planned. He's further inside engaged in combat" Rex motions towards the door. "If he's not dead already we should probably rescue him. If we can confirm he is... Well I promised I'd burn this place down"

sandmote
2022-07-29, 11:35 AM
Ag'zear is thankful for the healing. "Might have been a better idea to have more of us clear the way, but what's done is done. Still standing for the rescue, so we can likely focus on that."

Seramus
2022-07-29, 05:07 PM
"Wait, what? In combat? Who is with him? Keeping him safe is priority number one! Go help him, I'll keep working on the door!"

M'alax continues dutifully working on the door, but his eyestalks are shaking with nervous energy now.

Thrasymedes
2022-07-30, 08:21 AM
"He won't leave or do anything but get himself killed until we have the prisoners so yes hurry."

TriciaOso
2022-07-30, 08:24 AM
As the door swings open, you see a hallway lined with cells on either side and ending in another door, which is open. Midway down one wall of cells, you see an imprisoned Beheld who must be X'htd. The neighboring cell is open and P'qma is depositing X'lva's unconscious body within.

In the middle of the hallway are the Lieutenant, his mimic familiar, and an open first aid kit. As soon as the door opens, the Lieutenant fires an eldritch blast into M'alax.

sandmote
2022-07-30, 12:31 PM
"Double rescue commencing now." Ag'zear moves in through the doorway to keep the distance from offsetting his aim, then drops his Morningstar to hurl an axe at the Lieutenant. "Eyes on his spells."

20 on the attack roll; 11 slashing damage.
Morningstar is on the floor beneath Ag'zear.

Seramus
2022-07-31, 10:03 AM
The door swings open and M'alax takes the eldritch firearm in the torso. He spins about in the air, his eyestalks opening wide with surprise as he slowly glides down to the floor and comes to rest upon the ground. He blearily looks around as the holding cells explode into battle, and everything goes black as he fades into unconsciousness.

Death Save = 6. 1 Failure.

Thrasymedes
2022-07-31, 10:14 AM
B'Xli relaxed as the door opened then snarled as he saw the attack strike his friend. He darted forward to stand in front of him while feverishly commanding his companion to strike.

As he reached the monk he gestured sharply and a tongue of fire licked at M'alax's wounds to close them and even seemingly convey some healing.

"Everyone, drop the lieutenant first."
Move forward to in front of M'alax. Cast Cure Wounds on him for 8 HP. Command the Familiar to attack Lieutenant with Flame Seed for 3 damage and then familiar moves to stand just in front of B'xli (about 10' in)

clash
2022-07-31, 12:56 PM
Rex was already ready. He mentally focused on pqma then muttered the quick incantation and blasted him with an eye beam hitting him dear center. "That looked like it hurt" he couldn't resist calling out.

TriciaOso
2022-08-01, 10:13 AM
P'qma drops, blasted backward by the eldritch blast.

Seeing his commander go down, the lieutenant's nerve breaks and he runs for the door on the far side of the corridor, his mimic rolling along at his heels.

Thrasymedes
2022-08-01, 12:09 PM
B'xli relaxed slightly as the others began to run then quickly moved over to X'lva and shoved one of his 2 goodberries into the unconscious beheld's mouth to revive him...while doing his best to hold him down.

While doing this he sent the flame spirit through the bars into the cell where X'htd was and called out:
"X'htd, come out for a rescue with him. M'alax, can you see if P'qma is dead or unconscious. Rex, please convince X'lva not to do anything stupid when he wakes up."

Sending familiar into the cage with X'htd (small elemental, I think it can squeeze through bars) to teleport him out. Administering one of his 2 Goodberries (each of the others should also have two) to restore X'lva to 1 HP.

Seramus
2022-08-02, 01:08 AM
M'alax wearily rises up and gives a sharp nod to the order. He winces as he floats over to P'qma and begins briskly checking the officer for hidden weapons, keys, secret codes. Or anything else that should be taken away.

"Are we taking this guy with us, or locking him in his own cells?"

TriciaOso
2022-08-02, 08:23 AM
It appears that may not be a problem; P'qma is clearly breathing his last. You could possibly save him with the first aid kit, but he isn't going to stabilize on his own.

On the body you find a handful of the pills he seemed to consume for his enhanced state, his badge, a small wad of N'Xenan currency, and his outsized nightstick; really more of a maul. You also find a gold ornament coiled around one of his tentacles; it looks like it might be a magic item, or at least worth something.

clash
2022-08-02, 11:51 AM
"Well that was fun" Rex started genuinely. "What do you say we haul Xl'va's ass out of here and burn the place down?" He moved over to Xl'va to enact how self declared plan.

sandmote
2022-08-02, 01:26 PM
Ag'zear moves up to take a close look at X'htd. "you the one X'lva wanted to take odd planet with him?"

Seramus
2022-08-02, 10:12 PM
M'alax stares down at P'qma for a long moment, some part of him genuinely wanting to save the man. Hadn't he been similar? Driven to serve people he thought were decent? That the things they did were for the greater good? But he also knew how much trouble it could be, how having the man chasing them across the stars with a grudge would only hurt the Resistance. What was the chance he might see the error of his ways?

And in that moment of indecision, he waits too long.

"Well... shazbot."

The height of articulate response, to be sure.

Anyway, he painfully floats around handing out some of the things he found. The badge he gives to Rex because he might be able to sweet talk his way out of something with it. The N'Xenan currency goes to Ownclub because he Owns Clubs, and the same is true of the hefty nightstick. It was a type of Club. Sort of. Now Ownclub owned even more Clubs. The pills are shown to B'Xli, because that guy seemed to know a little bit about herbs and powders. And the golden ornament is offered up for general inspection.

"What in the world is this? Anybody have a clue?"

TriciaOso
2022-08-03, 09:40 AM
The two prophets of N'Xena rouse themselves and float out of their cells.

"Uh... yeah. Hi," says X'htd. "I guess so, that sounds like X'lva."

"We are victorious, brother!" shouts the paladin. "These comrades are true-hearted and brave."

"You're... you know, just because you came back from the dead, you don't have to talk like that. I'm sure there's no rule that says we have to talk like that," says X'htd wearily. "So we're going off-planet? That's good, we've obviously worn out our welcome here..."

Thrasymedes
2022-08-03, 12:17 PM
"Not sure on the powders or that gold item. I figure we can check them later. Do we want to look for papers or burn it from the roof? That is my preference"

B'xli turned to the two prophets:
"We are about to leave by way of the ship we parked up top. Is there anything else you need to grab or find in 2 minutes? Otherwise, follow me."

After an appropriate pause for responses (about 10 seconds) he heads up the stairwell with his familiar and companions.

clash
2022-08-04, 12:30 PM
Rex nods, already having discussed the basics of the plan with Bx'li. He looked to see if there was any objections before following him up.

Seramus
2022-08-04, 02:36 PM
M'alax considers for a moment, and then shakes his torso at X'htd.

"No, I don't think there's any rule like that. I'm no expert, of course. I guess he's kinda inspiring, but also a little crazy, but it seems like he means well for the most part."

And with that said, he scrunches up his central eye really tight and... WOOSH... the color around everybody begins to fade, and he shrouds everyone in the room with that zone of muted sound he has used several times since you met him.

2 Ki spent on Pass Without Trace. 0 Ki remaining.

TriciaOso
2022-08-05, 08:08 AM
As you all return to the ship, one of the donated comm devices lights up with a message from Brak'ma.

hey guys! uhhhh this is awkward but I'm having a really great time with these gorrilla artists! I think I'm going to stay! tell wysiwyg bye for me

Thrasymedes
2022-08-05, 11:42 AM
Uh ok. You may want to keep a safe distance from the building for a little bit.

B'xli quickly responds to Brakeman while longingly looking at the hard point and wishing he had time to disassemble it. Sighing he tries to make sure everyone is in the ship then lifts it off before switching seats with Rex:
Any aiming pointers for me on this?

As he asks he then discharges a ball of plasma directly into the opening they just left and begins ramming the white hot ball of pure fire into the hard point in the building in an attempt to ignite it.

clash
2022-08-05, 12:14 PM
"Its shoots a bit wide to the left, and you're never going to want to go back after firing" rex Sims up succinctly and watches with mixed emotions as good friend takes point on burning the building. "next time" he promises himself.

Seramus
2022-08-05, 07:23 PM
M'alax spares a look out the window to watch the plasma ignite into white-hot annihilation, and whistles appreciatively. Then he floats around to the VIPs, black trenchcoat dragging across the floor of the ship.

"Anyone need some food? Something to drink? I don't know how long you've been stuck there, but everyone should have a full stomach for the journey."

sandmote
2022-08-08, 12:06 PM
Ag'zear addresses the silence from X'htd and X'lva. "I know that could have gone better, and there's likely some more you'd like to do, but we should probably get going before anyone affiliated with P'qma shows up or tries to get revenge. Is there anything else we need to do before we leave?"

TriciaOso
2022-08-10, 09:10 AM
"No," says X'Htd. "And we should really get out of here before that Lieutenant contacts the real cops in B'li Ylix."

You don't need any better prompting. You crowd into the rope trick and blast off before X'lva can think of any other errands for you to run.

Your journey back is smooth and uneventful, with the help of the dextant. You still have to periodically refresh the rope trick, but your navigation is much smoother than last time. You don't even need to break out the book of astral currents.

B'Nxam is still blockaded by General M'Ta's forces, space navy on your side of the ongoing civil war. Their home base in M'Duq, and you rendezvous with one of the Gauth class warships and hand off the prophets. In return, they give you three spare fighter pods. Each just large enough to encase a Beheld, they are telekinetically propelled.

Every Gauth ship is equipped with ten fighters, each outfitted with a different weapon. These are unarmed, but will still give you the increased durability and the capacity to move around in space, as long as you don't get too far from your mothership.

You flit past the Panoptica's sensors on the moon and come in for a landing back in the city of N'Ye. You should probably report back into W'zwzxi, but you also have some time for yourselves for the first time in a few days.

You also are now level 5.

Thrasymedes
2022-08-10, 05:52 PM
B'xli gives a long slow blink of relief upon reaching the blockade and safely handing over their passengers...a relief that lasts until the gift of the fighter pods.

"I knew I should have taken that hard point apart and stowed it aboard."

Blinking his eyes he resumes his trip then turns to the others:

"Before we get back, I have some options in what abilities I prepare, is there anything you think I should focus on?

Also, I am inclined to try and find some fairly significant farmer to do some experiments with. Please let me know if you have any ideas, otherwise I was planning to ask W'zwzxi but do you want to check in with him first or wait?"

After arrival, he plans to reprepare his spells, spend a day or so working on the ship mechanically, then try to find a landowner or landowners with fairly substantial holdings (in the vicinity of 3/4 of a square mile or more). He would love if the individual was part of the resistance but other alternatives are possible.

Seramus
2022-08-11, 03:50 AM
M'alax's eyes positively light up at the sight of the fighter craft, and he instantly swarms around each of them to give them an obsessive look-over.

"This is incredible! I never thought I would get to fly one of these things around, unless I paid through the earhole for the fun of it. I mean, sure, the Panopticon shuttled me around from one place to another, but that's hugely different from zipping in an actual fighter!"

It's clear the little beheld is going to be spending extensive time playing around with the craft.

"What kind of abilities? What kind of experiments? Can you bring back the dead like X'htd and X'lva? That seems like a really useful thing."

clash
2022-08-11, 03:47 PM
Rex rides the excitement high of the successful mission for their trip back, but it wasn't enough. He needed more. He was ready to learn more. He was going to have a talk with the voice in the sky, the one who gifted him his power. See if there was more he could gain from him.

"I'm going to spend a bit of time practicing myself, get out to my shooting range. I have some ideas"

Thrasymedes
2022-08-12, 12:15 PM
I am hoping to increase production with carefully placed controlled microburns. As far as raising the dead ...if I got to them fast enough and had some serious diamonds, yes. No I don't have those diamonds though.

Fire themed Plant Growth and then Revivify.

sandmote
2022-08-12, 09:57 PM
"None of my contacts are involved in jewelry, so I haven't the foggiest of where get those supplies. Security on death sounds like it'd be a great help." Ag'zear weighs his performance on the last mission before continuing. "Myself, I think I need to get some more practice with my weapon, see if I can get some more consistency out of my blows."

TriciaOso
2022-08-16, 07:58 AM
From that conversation, a plan evolves. Ag'zear identifies a jewelry shop to hit, but as he warned, it's not his specialty, and you wind up having to pull the heist while the shop is open due a misreading of the hours.

An impromptu substitution of Rex as the clerk allows you to sneak B'Xli and M'alax into the shop, where a combination of Detect Traps, Detect Magic and good old-fashioned safe-cracking got the monk into the vault... to deal with the laser security grid. Even without magical aid, his agility and quick reflexes pay off, bouncing him like a pinball through the lasers.

Finally, Ag'zear telekinetically boosts your crew and the loot out the skylights, leaving only himself to be teleported by B'Xli's familiar. You walk away with a cool $6000 in diamonds, as well as $225 in miscellaneous gems you were able to stuff into pockets along the way.

Seramus
2022-08-18, 05:34 AM
Afterwards, M'alax spills the diamonds out on the floor of their safe house and plays around with them like Scrooge McDuck admiring his lucky coin.

"I can't believe we pulled that off during business hours! The manager is probably going to get fired, so I feel bad for him, but did you see me dodge those lasers?"

Priorities.

TriciaOso
2022-08-18, 08:11 AM
Mixed among the 'ordinary' diamonds, you find a few magical ones you keep as equipment. With your immediate needs taken care of, you wait until nightfall and the head to the document archive to meet with W'zwzxi.

You find him very excited, although he's always a bit like that. "Wow! You guys did great! Somehow you came out of that mission with the approval of the Dragon Knights *and* the Satyr League! To tell you the truth, the rebellion here on B'nxam has always lagged behind the other worlds, being here in the capitol of the empire, and I think sometimes the more major factions don't take us seriously. But you really put us on the starmap! And we've got something planned that will... well, I'm getting ahead of myself."

He sobers. "The precincts and Panoptica offices are all struggling to recruit these days, stretched thin. Since your first mission, activity on Moon base continues to decline. Rebellion forces from all over the continent have been gathering here. We're going to hit every precinct, outpost and government office at once and make N'Ye a free city, like T'Lah."

"Your role in this plan is absolutely pivotal. You're our strongest and most effective cell, and we want you to fire the first shot. We need you to seize the communication hub in the middle of the city and temporarily shut down all communications in and out, and most importantly within the city. The Panoptica forces will be unable to coordinate their response... hopefully they won't even have the whole picture until we have control of the major defenses."

Seramus
2022-08-18, 12:10 PM
"Wait. Isn't the moon being taken over by a horde of zombies? I guess that does mean now is a great time to attack the main ground facilities and liberate the city, but that horde of zombies on the moon thing seems bad. I don't think zombies can fly ships down from the moon, but someone was controlling them, right?"

M'alax glances up at the roof cautiously, like the moon might be able to see or hear him talking about it.