PDA

View Full Version : Metaphysics of an Infinite Bag of Holding...

Bosaxon
2007-11-26, 11:58 AM
Earlier in the campaign, the party found an infinite bag of holding, and one player has decided to drain the oceans with it(his monk is somewhat of a villian/supervillian). Now, last night's session had us ask several questions in regards to the physical properties of the BoH and I wanted to open the questions to the community.

1. Would the position of the bag alter the orientation of gravity (.i.e. inverting the bag would place the opening at the bottom of the ocean and therefore could form a rocket or crush a person's head should he just stick the head inside)

2. Would you say that an infinite Bag of Holding would have a cubical nature(e.g. as wide, deep, and tall as the contents would hold) or a spherical nature?

3. What effect would a moon or other large object possessing some gravitational pull placed inside the bag have on the ocean?

Emperor Demonking
2007-11-26, 12:02 PM
1) No, it probably shouldn't alter gravity.
2) On the outside it's a bag, in the inside does it have sides.
3) I'd say it has no effect, or it might slow the fall. Sorry v right.

Gungnir
2007-11-26, 12:11 PM
1) I dunno.
2) It wouldn't have a shape at all, since, as it goes on forever in every direction once you're inside, you can't observe the boundaries. The water itself would just form a sphere around the "exit", waiting for it to be opened. Hope anything else you put in there is waterproofed.:smallamused:
3) The water would do it's best to get as close to said object as it can, forming oceans on it. Although I don't know how you're going to get the moon inside of a BoH, no matter how big the inside is, the opening stays the same.

Which reminds me, the oceans are pretty frick'n huge, how long did it take for all of it to pour into the bag? I'd think it would go slow enough for someone to take action against you.

puppyavenger
2007-11-26, 12:30 PM
Just make it a gate to the plane of eleemantal plane of stuff.

RoboticSheeple
2007-11-26, 02:57 PM
Metaphysics; I don't think that word means what you think it means.

Sofaking
2007-11-26, 03:09 PM
1. Would the position of the bag alter the orientation of gravity (.i.e. inverting the bag would place the opening at the bottom of the ocean and therefore could form a rocket or crush a person's head should he just stick the head inside)

2. Would you say that an infinite Bag of Holding would have a cubical nature(e.g. as wide, deep, and tall as the contents would hold) or a spherical nature?

3. What effect would a moon or other large object possessing some gravitational pull placed inside the bag have on the ocean?

1. If the space was infinite the opening would always be somewhere in the middle. (I think) I don't buy the rocket thing as the water wouldn't be under any pressure to force it out any faster than gravity pulls it.

2. Again, the infinite bag would have no edges or center.

3. No, I'm pretty sure the affects of any large objects wouldn't extend outside the bag's opening.

sikyon
2007-11-26, 03:14 PM
Earlier in the campaign, the party found an infinite bag of holding, and one player has decided to drain the oceans with it(his monk is somewhat of a villian/supervillian). Now, last night's session had us ask several questions in regards to the physical properties of the BoH and I wanted to open the questions to the community.

I don't see how you could drain the oceans with it. Consider the number of decanters of endless water, and how they are constantly generating water into the hydrosphere. Also, the amount of water that flows into the bag should be function of the water pressure * area of the opening = force on water to go in. Flow rates are a function of force.

1) Can't form a rocket, the water just comes out but momentum is not conserved in only plane (the prime plane). Conservation of momentum will act cross-planar.

2) Doesn't mater if the bag is infinite. Could you provide an example of how this would matter?

3) The ocean would hug the moon in the pocket dimension, assuming gravity works as normal (fair assumption, considering that the other 3 forces seem to work as the objects don't fall apart). How do you get a moon inside the opening?

MobiusKlein
2007-11-26, 03:19 PM
Perhaps nothing is infinite. They just have not found the limit, and what happens when they reach the limit.:smalleek:

Besides, how do we know that this hasn't happened already, and we're currently on the inside already?

bonus conundrum: How do you distinguish it from a permanent gate to a different plane? How can you be sure it's the only opening into that plane. If it's infinitely big, you can never know for sure.

Altair_the_Vexed
2007-11-26, 03:24 PM
1. If the space was infinite the opening would always be somewhere in the middle. (I think) I don't buy the rocket thing as the water wouldn't be under any pressure to force it out any faster than gravity pulls it.

2. Again, the infinite bag would have no edges or center.

3. No, I'm pretty sure the affects of any large objects wouldn't extend outside the bag's opening.

I totally agree with Sofaking.

BTW: is this "Infinite Bag of Holding" in a WotC book, an OGL book, or is it homebrew? Essentially what I'm driving at here is: aren't there already rules for this published item, or are you asking our advice on an invention of yours?

kjones
2007-11-26, 03:39 PM
I totally agree with Sofaking.

BTW: is this "Infinite Bag of Holding" in a WotC book, an OGL book, or is it homebrew? Essentially what I'm driving at here is: aren't there already rules for this published item, or are you asking our advice on an invention of yours?

My question exactly. The possibilities for silliness with an Infinite Bag of Holding are, well, infinite.

Course, you could always just declare it a Type II Mega-Storage Device from HackMaster. That's always a good time.

Jayabalard
2007-11-26, 03:43 PM
2. Again, the infinite bag would have no edges or center.Actually, it can be infinite with some edges...

|---------------------------------------------
|
|
<-- Opening this way; infinite this way -->
|
|
|---------------------------------------------

Istari
2007-11-26, 03:44 PM
My question exactly. The possibilities for silliness with an Infinite Bag of Holding are, well, infinite.

Course, you could always just declare it a Type II Mega-Storage Device from HackMaster. That's always a good time.

That brings back memeroies from Kotdt

BardicDuelist
2007-11-26, 03:44 PM
Perhaps nothing is infinite. They just have not found the limit, and what happens when they reach the limit.:smalleek:

Besides, how do we know that this hasn't happened already, and we're currently on the inside already?

bonus conundrum: How do you distinguish it from a permanent gate to a different plane? How can you be sure it's the only opening into that plane. If it's infinitely big, you can never know for sure.

I was waiting for metaphysics to actually come up.

Green Bean
2007-11-26, 03:45 PM
Also, what would happen if you turned it inside out? :smalleek:

Gungnir
2007-11-26, 07:18 PM
With all that water inside it? You would die. Very quickly.

MCerberus
2007-11-26, 07:30 PM
With all that water inside it? You would die. Very quickly.

To be fair if you hold it the correct way you wouldn't instantly die (well maybe). You would fly backwards at an insane velocity proportional to the amount of water and how fast it came out. It would even be fun until A. You hit something and go splat or B. You go into orbit and suffocate/0 pressure death (which is not very fun)..... assuming you can survive the acceleration and air resistance.

Gungnir
2007-11-26, 07:48 PM
That or get smashed in the face with a shark.