PDA

View Full Version : Oldest Game you still play

Prophaniti
2007-11-26, 11:59 AM
Just wanted to know what the oldest games you other playgrounders are still playing.
You can list any pc or console game, or arcade game if you still go play it regularly.
I don't mean games you wasted two years of your life on but seldom touch now, I mean the oldest game you played yesterday or this morning, and plan on playing again tonight.

For me, its probably (and I'm not sure on this, if it is actually the oldest)
Might and Magic VI- love the gameplay and non-linear world. I was very, very disappointed in Ubisoft when they took over this franchise, they did a great job with Heroes, but missed everything fun and cool about the main Might and Magic series.

I would have said X-Com: UFO Defense, but my copy doesnt work anymore...:smallfrown:

I also still play Diablo (I and II) a lot, espesially when my one-month-old daughter wont settle down unless she's being held, because I can play them one-handed.

Gungnir
2007-11-26, 12:00 PM
I fire up Nethack every once in a while.

Yuki Akuma
2007-11-26, 12:07 PM
Minesweeper.

Saithis Bladewing
2007-11-26, 12:08 PM
Heroes of Might & Magic II, I think. For computer games anyway.

I still fire up a nice game of Tetris NES now and then though.

NEO|Phyte
2007-11-26, 12:18 PM
I've been known to fire up things like DOOM now and again, sometimes a bit of Epic Pinball, Commander Keen, Prince of Persia. Currently, the only game I'm playing with any sort of consistency is X-Com, UFO Defense. Thats liable to continue for a while, until I get bored of it and move on to something new to waste my time on.

Ezlo
2007-11-26, 12:35 PM
The original Sonic the Hedgehog, not as old as some of the games, but hey, it's been more than a decade.

Inyssius Tor
2007-11-26, 12:39 PM
I fire up Nethack every once in a while.

Playing it right now, in fact.

Dragor
2007-11-26, 12:43 PM
Gah, I dunno- the only old game I really play on a regular basis is F-Zero X. While it's not as old as other games, its the only one I play consistently.

PS: I have been playing games since the NES, sue me.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-11-26, 12:53 PM
Well, I've been playing the remake of FFIV (probably doesn't count) and playing through Super Mario 64 again.

I picked up Sonic the Hedgehog (and 2, this was a friend's compilation disk thing) the other week, but didn't finish it.

Mc. Lovin'
2007-11-26, 12:55 PM
I've started playing half life 1, which I beleive is quite old

Mr.Moron
2007-11-26, 12:57 PM
The only game I'm playing with any regularity at all, new or old is Starcraft. It's old enough to qualify at this point, I think.

I've been known to go back and play the early Megaman games (1-4) at least once a year. Crystalis and Final Fantasy 1 also get played every couple of years.

I've been having the urge to go through Lufia II one more time, but I'm not sure. I don't want to ruin the nostalgia or anything.

Alex Kidd
2007-11-26, 12:57 PM
Still got my NES set up, and occaiionally still fire up Super Mario Bros, duck hunt, Ninja Gaiden(the original, makes the new ones look like childsplay) and Gradius.

Gungnir
2007-11-26, 01:04 PM
Ninja Gaiden(the original, makes the new ones look like childsplay)

There's only one new one, and 3 expansion packs.

Zakama
2007-11-26, 01:07 PM
Super Mario Bros. on the Wii virtual console. That game never, never, ever dies.

Blayze
2007-11-26, 01:16 PM
Castle of the Winds (Both parts).

Cristo Meyers
2007-11-26, 01:49 PM
I would have said X-Com: UFO Defense, but my copy doesnt work anymore...:smallfrown:

Ahem: here (http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/38/UFO+-+Enemy+Unknown.html).

X-Com would have to be mine as well, though it's been awhile...damn Star Wars: Best of PC...

onasuma
2007-11-26, 01:55 PM
Scarab from 1997. Found and old copy, spent 25 minuets trying to get it to work, (after it fully installed in 15 seconds flat), and boom. over 100 levels of gameplay. Kept me going whilst hl has been gone.

RandomLogic
2007-11-26, 02:03 PM
Probably Duckhunt.

And thats because we've made it a drinking game!

Winterwind
2007-11-26, 02:04 PM
Castle of the Winds (Both parts).Ooooh, this one is great.

As for me... hmmm, the oldest game on my disk would be Space Invaders, and I believe it is the original from '78 (at least, the place where I downloaded it said so). If it's not, that place would go to Beast, which is from '84 (just one year younger than me), and I can testify this, because it's been handed down from computer to computer in my family until it arrived here. Both do still work (thanks to DosBox), but I play them only now and then. I have some even older games for the MAME arcade emulator (the oldest ones from '76 and '77, respectively), but I can't say that I ever played them to any significant degree.

The oldest game I play more or less regularly? Hmmm... Tetris on my NES emulator, probably.

The oldest game I play more or less often? Probably Civilisation 2, Diablo 1 or Master of Orion 2.

Tekraen
2007-11-26, 02:08 PM
Alternate Reality: The City. I've also played a few NES classics off and on recently, SNES classics, X-Com:UFO Defense and Terror From The Deep, Diablo 1, original Command & Conquer and Red Alert, and both Fallouts.

The Orange Zergling
2007-11-26, 02:16 PM
Starcraft, but I haven't touched it in a couple weeks.

Oh, Lemmings if we still had a computer that ran a floppy disk. That game was so awesome in every way, shape, and form. :smallfrown:

Morty
2007-11-26, 02:28 PM
Oh, Lemmings if we still had a computer that ran a floppy disk. That game was so awesome in every way, shape, and form. :smallfrown:

Ah, Lemmings... Lemmings 2: The Tribes was the first computer game I've ever played on Amiga computer *sniff*. And apart from sentiment, those games are really great. I managed to run it on emulator of DoS, but now I deleted it... damn me.

Winterwind
2007-11-26, 02:41 PM
Orange Zergling, M0rt, you might want to take a look onto this site here (http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/37/Lemmings.html). :smallwink:

If it doesn't work, get DosBox. It's a gift from heaven anyway.

Morty
2007-11-26, 03:11 PM
Orange Zergling, M0rt, you might want to take a look onto this site here (http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/37/Lemmings.html). :smallwink:

If it doesn't work, get DosBox. It's a gift from heaven anyway.

Well, I used nothing else than DosBox. But I deleted Dos Navigator, so Lemmings don't work anymore. Stupid me...
But I used it to run Lemmings 2 anyway, as I have version of Lemmings I that works on Windows.

Winterwind
2007-11-26, 03:24 PM
Well, I used nothing else than DosBox. But I deleted Dos Navigator, so Lemmings don't work anymore. Stupid me...
But I used it to run Lemmings 2 anyway, as I have version of Lemmings I that works on Windows.Dos Navigator? :smallconfused:
DosBox (which is available at www.sourceforge.net) should run Lemmings (which, if you have deleted that, is available at the site I previously linked to) all on its own just fine, usually?

Closet_Skeleton
2007-11-26, 03:26 PM
I still play Doom 2 on occaison and I have Aliens vs Predator on a shortcut key so I can load it whenever I get bored.

Dhavaer
2007-11-26, 03:27 PM
Either Worms 2, Diable 1 or Civilization 2.

Soups
2007-11-26, 03:29 PM
It depends where I am at.

School(home): War craft 2 or 3. Sometimes Soldat.
Grandparents: Mario Kart or SSB
My One friends: Super Mario 3(must beat level 9)
P.O.N.G.: CS:Source

Morty
2007-11-26, 03:39 PM
Dos Navigator? :smallconfused:
DosBox (which is available at www.sourceforge.net) should run Lemmings (which, if you have deleted that, is available at the site I previously linked to) all on its own just fine, usually?

DosBox can run Lemmings 2 on its own, but Dos Navigator makes it a lot easier. Basically, if you use DosBox to open Dos Navigator you can comfortably run any Dos programs you have, because it emulates Dos interface. It's kind of hard to explain now that I haven't used it for a while, and I did it by following the instructions from gaming magazine.

Innis Cabal
2007-11-26, 03:52 PM
centipede.....and galaga

LordVader
2007-11-26, 04:06 PM
Starcraft, Heroes of Might and Magic III, Freespace II, and Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. SMAC in particular got drowned out in the massive juggernaught that is Sid Meier's Civilization series. A shame, because it is a great game.:smallfrown:

Winterwind
2007-11-26, 04:19 PM
DosBox can run Lemmings 2 on its own, but Dos Navigator makes it a lot easier. Basically, if you use DosBox to open Dos Navigator you can comfortably run any Dos programs you have, because it emulates Dos interface. It's kind of hard to explain now that I haven't used it for a while, and I did it by following the instructions from gaming magazine.Huh? Sorry, I still don't get it - emulating a Dos interface is what DosBox does already.
I believe I know what a navigator program in Dos would look like (something like the Norton Commander of yore, I suppose - hah, those were good times :smallbiggrin: ), but it's not exactly mandatory to get anything running in DosBox in no time.

Starcraft, Heroes of Might and Magic III, Freespace II, and Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. SMAC in particular got drowned out in the massive juggernaught that is Sid Meier's Civilization series. A shame, because it is a great game.:smallfrown:Indeed, couldn't agree more.

Missed this one before:

I would have said X-Com: UFO Defense, but my copy doesnt work anymore...:smallfrown: Get either DosBox (http://sourceforge.net/projects/dosbox/) to get your copy to work again, or download a Windows-compatible version of X-Com (http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/38/UFO+-+Enemy+Unknown.html) from Abandonia, if you want to amend this unfortunate state. :smallwink:

Morty
2007-11-26, 04:21 PM
Huh? Sorry, I still don't get it - emulating a Dos interface is what DosBox does already.
I believe I know what a navigator program in Dos would look like (something like the Norton Commander of yore, I suppose - hah, those were good times :smallbiggrin: ), but it's not exactly mandatory to get anything running in DosBox in no time.

Not mandatory, but it makes everything a lot easier, especially for someone as technologically impaired as me. And yes, it is something similiar to Norton Commander for Dos.

Ranis
2007-11-26, 04:36 PM
The Curse of Monkey Island, baby.

Green Bean
2007-11-26, 04:39 PM
Not counting stuff like Solitaire or Minesweeper, I'd have to say The Incredible Machine. I haven't finished it, but every few weekends, I'll fire it up to try to advance a bit, before giving up.

banjo1985
2007-11-26, 04:46 PM
Dragon Crystal on the Game Gear for me...yes, I have one that still works!

Winterwind
2007-11-26, 05:00 PM
Not counting stuff like Solitaire or Minesweeper, I'd have to say The Incredible Machine. I haven't finished it, but every few weekends, I'll fire it up to try to advance a bit, before giving up.Ooooh, that was an incredible game. I remember getting through I have no idea how many levels, until I got completely stuck on one. Oh, this was so much fun... :smallsmile:

...hmmm... given that I never delete games, shouldn't I have it somewhere here? :smallconfused: *goes searching*

EDIT: Yes! Yes, I do! Thank you, h_v! :smallsmile:

Castaras
2007-11-26, 05:24 PM
Transport Tycoon Deluxe. Loads of fun...

Although technically, I play the Openttd version of it...which is still being worked on...<.< >.>

Prophaniti
2007-11-26, 05:40 PM
Thanks Winterwind, I'd forgotten about Abandonia! Off I go! Maybe Dosbox will let me play Ultima Underworld again, too...

Mr. Mud
2007-11-26, 06:23 PM
One small, yet powerful, word:

PONG

Vaynor
2007-11-26, 06:43 PM
I play chess quite frequently.

But, video game wise, I have pong on my calculator and play it a lot.

Ethdred
2007-11-26, 07:42 PM
I play chess quite frequently.

But, video game wise, I have pong on my calculator and play it a lot.

Can't claim the pong thing, but over the weekend I found an emulator for some games off my 48k ZX Spectrum. And you know what - they're still good! Gameplay is the only thing that matters, graphics can kiss my butt.

Does anyone know if the R T Smith of Specturm wargame fame is the same R T Smith who gets credits on the Total War series? Or is not allowed for one person to be involved in that many awesome games?

ForzaFiori
2007-11-26, 08:34 PM
Starcraft, SMAC, Civ. 2, the original sonic, i have a NES simulator with like 80 games somewhere that i used to play alot...i lost my warcraft 2 CD (which is a terrible, terrible thing), i have a few sega genesis and super Nintendo games around that i play occasionally. oh, and at school, when i get terribly bored, my calculator has duckhunt AND pong.

EDIT: its scary to realize, but most of those games are as old or older than i am...
...wow.

evisiron
2007-11-26, 09:24 PM
How old is Vampire: The Masquerade...?

Halna LeGavilk
2007-11-26, 10:31 PM
Eh.... Probably Exile: BoE. No, Exile III: Ruined World.

Superglucose
2007-11-26, 11:01 PM
Starcraft. Actually not...

Mario Bros. 3

Crispy Dave
2007-11-26, 11:47 PM
welll 4 days ago my friends pizza place closed down and they gave me thier old fationed pong table

thats right i OWN my own pong table!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:smallbiggrin:

MCerberus
2007-11-27, 12:47 AM
I still occasionally play Red Alert 2... but not much. I have the habit of going to the used game places to be ripped off by trading in so I don't really have many old games left.

Miklus
2007-11-27, 06:08 PM
I played Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri quite recently. I like the sci-fi theme and above all the "original seven". So much fun with politics...:smallbiggrin:

But once in a while I get this strange urge to play ...<dramatic pause>... Colonization. Yes, godawful graphics, but a superb strategy game. Briliant in its simplicity. Simply brilliant.

Daze
2007-11-27, 07:14 PM
How old is Vampire: The Masquerade...?

Not sure.. 8, 9 years maybe?
Too bad it wont run on XP, I wanted to replay that too :smallmad:

I play an old EGA version of Risk (the boardgame) every once in awhile.. whoop on the computer, they're so dumb... America Sweep works every time.

Trazoi
2007-11-28, 12:21 AM
There's no one computer game I play frequently, but there's a bunch of old games I have on rotation that I get into roughly once ever year or two:

The Quest for Glory series (1 to 4)
The Monkey Island series, or just the Lucasfilm/arts adventure games in general
Zeliard, a platformer/adventure game from 1987.
Master of Orion 1 (also 2, but that's a bit more modern)
X-COM: UFO Enemy Unknown

If you count games around the era of Baldur's Gate to be "old" then the list gets a lot longer. :smallbiggrin:

Reinboom
2007-11-28, 01:07 AM
Really old that I still play:
Nightstalker (Intellivision)
Space Invaders (I have an original version compiled in 1979)

Old:
<insert list of NES games here>
Nethack

Sort of Old:
Eye of the Beholder series (Which, I'm currently running through again.... and again...)
<insert list of SNES games here>
Castle of the Winds
Settlers 2 (Gold)
One Must Fall 2097

Some people consider old:
Mordor: The Depths of Dejenol
Civilization 2 (MPG)
<insert list of Nintendo 64 and Playstation games here>

(I have difficulty saying things that are only 10-12 years of age "old")

Endeavourl
2007-11-28, 01:10 AM
Warcraft II, Starcraft, Heroes of Might and Magic III, Nethack

Baboon Army
2007-11-28, 01:51 AM
Age of Empires II FTW!!

Can't believe it wasn't mentioned yet:smalleek:

Reinboom
2007-11-28, 03:52 AM
I'm rather confused.
I wouldn't consider StarCraft or Age of Empires II old.

The Orange Zergling
2007-11-28, 03:53 AM
I'm rather confused.
I wouldn't consider StarCraft old.

It's coming up on 10 years.

Tengu
2007-11-28, 04:10 AM
I'm rather confused.
I wouldn't consider StarCraft or Age of Empires II old.

Same here. If it was released in 1996 (the year I got my first computer) or later, it's not old.

As for the question... hmm, I repeat most FF games once in a year or so, the oldest one of them being V.

Telok
2007-11-28, 10:26 AM
Well I've got XCom and Wasteland running currently. Hmm, I can go with Space Hulk and Ragnarok on DosBox.

Ah, better... I have my old Apple ][e clone (Franklin Ace 2000) in the basement. The joystick still works too. So I can still run some nice old stuff like Frogger, Choplifter, and Zork.

Hrmm, I think I still have a copy of Logo somewhere. That's old.

Supagoof
2007-11-28, 10:42 AM
Cards. :smalltongue:

I was playing poker before them new fangled electronic tv gaming things came out, and I still play it now, even with the refound hype that makes everyone think they are an expert.

What? Oh, the oldest Video Game I still play. Okay - gotta be Ms. Pack Man cause it's on my phone - though a close second is the old Arcade version of Superman (Yep, have the standup arcade machine for that one.)

Archonic Energy
2007-11-28, 10:45 AM
Probably Duckhunt.

And thats because we've made it a drinking game!

How?

this could be intresting to learn

Charity
2007-11-28, 11:13 AM
Reminds me of playing drink drive roadrash on the megadrive wooo.
I played dungeon seige the other day, and until recently we played micromachines V3 pretty regularly... note to self, get Ikkie to play V3, it is the best party race game ever!

Mr. Mud
2007-11-28, 04:38 PM
welll 4 days ago my friends pizza place closed down and they gave me thier old fationed pong table

thats right i OWN my own pong table!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:smallbiggrin:

Your my idol... :smalleek: :smallbiggrin:

Cristo Meyers
2007-11-28, 04:47 PM
How?

this could be intresting to learn

It's fun right up until someone starts cursing loudly and tries to pick a fight with that dog.

Of course, that can happen even when you're not completely tossed.

Crispy Dave
2007-11-28, 11:42 PM
Your my idol... :smalleek: :smallbiggrin:

i know i know

The Linker
2007-11-29, 08:40 AM
Oldest game? Super Smash Bros. Melee. It's not that old (2001) but the fact that I still play it regularily ever since the Christmas of that year scares me. :smalleek:

sapphail
2007-11-29, 09:01 AM
Sonic the Hedgehog and Castlevania: Bloodlines on the old Mega Drive :smallbiggrin: And Symphony of the Night on PS1.

UncleWolf
2007-11-29, 09:08 AM
Castlevania Symphony of the night when ever I can find a copy. (I wore my old one out:smallbiggrin: )

and Alpha Centari

Telok
2007-11-29, 09:50 AM
Ok, rules for the duck hunt drinking game.

1) Every time you shoot a duck, take a drink.
2) Every time you win a level, take a drink.
3) Every time you lose a level, take two drinks and pass the gun to the next guy.
4) Every time you start laughing uncontrollably, take a drink even if it's not your turn with the gun.
5) Every time you start shooting at the dog, take a drink.

I think that sounds good enough.

Cristo Meyers
2007-11-29, 10:55 AM
Ok, rules for the duck hunt drinking game.

1) Every time you shoot a duck, take a drink.
2) Every time you win a level, take a drink.
3) Every time you lose a level, take two drinks and pass the gun to the next guy.
4) Every time you start laughing uncontrollably, take a drink even if it's not your turn with the gun.
5) Every time you start shooting at the dog, take a drink.

I think that sounds good enough.

When you actually hit the dog, stop drinking, you've now officially exited realityland.

Galdred
2007-11-29, 01:26 PM
The oldes I play from time to time is Speedball 2 with friends. Otherwise, for solo play, it would be Master of Magic and Master of Orion I. Steve Barcia really was a genius. Too bad he was not as good when it came to runing a company :(

MrEdwardNigma
2007-11-29, 03:42 PM
Hmmm, I play JazzJackRabbit, which is a really oldschool platformer, and I also play Another World, which is also a platformer, but a very original one.

Ethdred
2007-11-29, 08:55 PM
Oh my ever loving lord!

Will you people PLEASE stop naming as your oldest game ever stuff that wasn't even born when I stopped getting games. Please??????

[Insert Neat Username Here]
2007-11-29, 10:11 PM
I'm currently replaying Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber. I just dug it out again the other day, and it's still as good as I remember.

Assasinater
2007-11-30, 02:45 AM
ADOM, Master of Magic, maybe Heroes 3 and Ultima Online, as they're somewhat old too.

Ashtar
2007-11-30, 05:20 AM
Does someone remember Syndicate (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syndicate_%28computer_game%29) and Syndicate Wars (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syndicate_Wars)?

From time to time I bring out the real old ones, Zork (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zork), Digger (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digger_%28computer_game%29).

I would love to get a running version of the original Crystal Quest (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_Quest)...

And then there's Master of Orion 2, Worms and Xcom... Which I keep on my laptop for gaming when I'm in the army.

Thormag
2007-11-30, 05:33 AM
Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego?

It was my favourite game in my old Windows 3.11, and I found an old copy of the game in one of my floppy disks. :smallbiggrin:

MrEdwardNigma
2007-11-30, 05:45 AM
Oh my ever loving lord!

Will you people PLEASE stop naming as your oldest game ever stuff that wasn't even born when I stopped getting games. Please??????

Well, we can't really help it if it's really the oldest game we play, can we?

Oh, and I've also played most of the old Lucasarts adventure games (Full Throttle, Maniac Mansion, etc...), the second Discworld game and all of the Simon the Sorcerer games.

Skjaldbakka
2007-11-30, 06:09 AM
My favorite computer game is still classic Diablo. Recently got ahold of the Hellfire expansion, and am looking forward to playing it, once I get a new computer.

Can't really play games on the computer at work.

Lord Shplane
2007-11-30, 03:17 PM
A lot of different SNES platformers. I rarely play any of my other SNES games, but I'll plug in a platformer every couple of days and play it.

Grey, Darling
2007-11-30, 03:21 PM
Lords of Midnight, try to beat that!

salman
2007-12-01, 01:13 AM
Red Hat is one of the old game which I like most..and like to play it is an old game but full of thrill and exitment like new games.....this game is multy player environment and perfrct animation containing.............

Doglord
2007-12-01, 05:25 AM
LoZ: links awakening on my GBC.

Perducci
2007-12-01, 09:34 AM
Oregon Trail. I fire up an ancient PC to play that and JetFighter about once a year.

Master of Magic was such an amazing game. I remember getting really pissed when my copy got lost. I haven't played that in years, and the last download I tried wouldn't work.

I play my NES games like once a month or more depending on my mood. FF1, Mario1-3, Zelda, Ninja Gaiden, River City Ransom(can lead to hours of PvP fighting), Silent Service, and California Games...just to name a few. I spend a lot of time playing these with my little brother.

I still play Half-life a decent bit.

Gazillionaire. 'nuff said.

Studoku
2007-12-01, 09:54 AM
I played Settelers II a few weeks ago. It's still a pretty good game.

Wraith
2007-12-01, 09:55 AM
Lords of Midnight, try to beat that!

Almost managed it - I occasionally kick out 'Chaos' when I meet up with a certain friend of mine :smallsmile:

Apart from that, there's Dungeon Keeper, Theme Park, Theme Hospital, Syndicate, StarFox... pretty much anything I owned between 1990 to about 1997, I still have and go back to occasionally.

Having said that, I still have a hard time believing that 'Tales of Phantasia', Secret of Mana and Crono Trigger are less than 15 years old. I play them all the time, and they're a lot more fun that quite a few modern games I have!

Fin
2007-12-01, 10:19 AM
The oldest games i still play are probably Diablo II or Morrowind (which isnt particularly old but it does have a sequel) both of which i will play for a long time to come. :smalltongue:

Wooter
2007-12-01, 10:27 AM
I still regualerly play Doom. Sometimes I'll play the Commander Keen games, but not as often.

I will never get tired of Doom

Assasinater
2007-12-01, 10:45 AM
Master of Magic was such an amazing game. I remember getting really pissed when my copy got lost. I haven't played that in years, and the last download I tried wouldn't work.

Download it from this site (http://www.the-underdogs.info/), and open it via Dosbox (google it). This method is usable with almost every old game that you can find, as some already know.