PDA

View Full Version : Spellthief and Quitessential Elf II mechanic interaction.

Jonjonjon4
2022-05-18, 07:12 AM
Hello adventurers and Dungeon Master's.

I have 3 questions about a Racial Path mechanic found in the "Quitessential Elf II" book, more specifically, the Spirit of Magic path.

The mechanic is the following:
"Empowered Magic (Su): The elf can tap into the
primal forces of the universe to fuel his spells. When
he casts an arcane spell, he may choose to take a
number of points of nonlethal damage equal to the
spell’s level (which may not be offset or reduced in
any way). If he does so, he may make a Will save
(DC 15 + the level of the spell). Should he succeed
on the Will save, he casts the spell but does not
expend it (or in the case of spontaneous casting, does
not use the spell slot)."

The questions:
1- This ability interact with the spells that spellthief steals? Taking in count it does have to cast it again and also have it's own spell slot mechanic.

2- The Spell grace (bonus +1/+2/+3 on saving throws against arcane spells and effects) works on the ability saving throw?

3- Is this ability too strong FOR MY CHARACTER?
Take in count that i would have to take a talent not compatible with my build and also take a flaw that comes along with the Spirit of Magic path.

Thanks

EndlessKng
2022-05-18, 12:25 PM
1. RAW I can't see a reason the answer wouldn't be yes, but only if the stolen spell was Arcane in nature - you cast the spell as if you were the person who had it originally, not as yourself, so it doesn't become an arcane spell.

RAI, probably no. I'd also see an argument that it can't apply because it's altering the spell from what it was originally, that it wouldn't work as a logical extension of no metamagic, OR that you can't use this effect on stolen spells because they're not your own.

2. IMO, no. The throw isn't against the spell - it's against the ability as much as it's against anything specific. The ability is Supernatural and not a spell, even if the spell affects the DC.

3. Eh? Not sure, depends on your table. I'm not the biggest fan of the Quintessential stuff I have read in general, but in this case, it still relies on you getting a sneak attack off successfully, hurting yourself, and passing a will-saving-throw. I'm not sure it's a big enough deal to care that much.

StSword
2022-05-18, 12:33 PM
I assume you mean "Can I use empowered magic to cast a stolen spell without expending it?"

By rules as written, sure, yes, I mean presuming your DM lets you use third party products like that.

Doesn't mean that the DM isn't going to invoke rule 0, so that's really something you need to talk with your DM about.

I mean if I were DMing I'd allow it, with the understanding that approved status is open to being revoked if it starts breaking the game.

But since spellthieves can only keep stolen spells for an hour and are limited to their class level in spell levels stolen at one time, this isn't ringing any alarm bells in my head just looking at it on paper.