PDA

View Full Version : deleted

wefoij123
2022-05-18, 05:25 PM
Don't need this answered anymore so deleted.

Beni-Kujaku
2022-05-18, 06:54 PM
Individual powers are NOT spells. Their effect is different, something that replicates one doesn't replicate the other (and even if items that replicate powers, like power stones, are considered magic items when using transparency, you can't put a spell in a power stone, or a power in a scroll), and for prerequisites they are two different things. An ardent doesn't have the "ability to cast 1st level spells". Same thing with Manifester Level and Caster Level. You can't use Practiced Manifester to improve your caster level or to stack with Practiced Spellcaster.

However, anything that affects magic and spells as a whole affects powers the same way. Antimagic fields, dispel magic, spell resistance, things that say "you gain +X to saves against spells", all of these affect powers the same way they would affect spells. The main goal of transparency is to give each group the ability to defend against the other.

Darg
2022-05-18, 08:15 PM
Magic-Psionic transparency is about how magic and psionics interact with each other, not how they interact with the rules. A psionic item is different from a magic item. You still need to use UPD for the prior and UMD for the latter. Wish does not let you replicate powers and Reality Revision doesn't let you replicate spells. The only ways they are the same is what your first quote says:

Spell resistance is effective against powers, using the same mechanics. Likewise, power resistance is effective against spells, using the same mechanics as spell resistance. If a creature has one kind of resistance, it is assumed to have the other. (The effects have similar ends despite having been brought about by different means.)

All spells that dispel magic have equal effect against powers of the same level using the same mechanics, and vice versa.

The spell detect magic detects powers, their number, and their strength and location within 3 rounds (though a Psicraft check is necessary to identify the discipline of the psionic aura).

Dead magic areas are also dead psionics areas.

The MIC came out years after the system was created. It's allowed to change rules so long as the book is in use. Most likely the melding was done so that psionic campaigns could gain access to magic items as psionic items don't exactly replicate the plethora of magic items available to players by 2007. The rules tended to trend toward open inclusion the further you got from 3e's release.

Kalkra
2022-05-19, 09:39 AM
I also don't understand how transparency works, but I'll mention that per the ToB maneuvers are also transparent with magic, although it says there that that probably will never matter.

Beni-Kujaku
2022-05-19, 12:02 PM
I also don't understand how transparency works, but I'll mention that per the ToB maneuvers are also transparent with magic, although it says there that that probably will never matter.

Is... Is it possible to dispel a stance?

Tzardok
2022-05-19, 01:21 PM
No, but if it is supernatural you can suppress it with antimagic (or antipisonics).