PDA

View Full Version : The one they call.... Blipdoolpoolp

SpikeFightwicky
2007-11-26, 01:37 PM
I was browsing the Monster Manual 5 yesterday, and came across the entry on the Kuo-Tua. I figured it was just examples of the base race with some classes added, but upon closer inspection, they show 2 interesting new types of kuo-tua, specialty feats that make a very interesting kuo-tua monk build (or fighter build) and some new equipment/tactics for the last, not to mention giving off a certain 'Deep One' feel.

Throughout all this, the Exalted kua-tua (forget the full name) follows a deity called 'Blipdoolpoolp' (sp?). They only give a tiny bit info (two of its domains: water and destruction) for this oddly named deity and nothing else. Was he/she/it ever printed anywhere? If so, which book?

CaptainSam
2007-11-26, 01:47 PM
In the Underdark sourccebook for Forgotten Realms.

SpikeFightwicky
2007-11-26, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the info! I'll have to look into getting that book. So Blip's just an FR deity?

cupkeyk
2007-11-26, 01:56 PM
Blipdoolpoolp has been mentioned in MM1, without the new domains of course.

SpikeFightwicky
2007-11-26, 02:06 PM
Is it under the Kuo-Tua section? I'll have to re-re-read it again.

Keld Denar
2007-11-26, 02:30 PM
Blipdoolpoolp recieves mention in the 2nd edition boxed set "A Night Below". She is the patron diety of Kuo-tua, and a bamf herself. Her favored weapon is the pincer staff, a pretty neat weapon in its own right. Large statues of her exist all over the City of the Glass Pool, a large Kuo-tua city stated out in that suppliment. Since "A Night Below" is a generic boxed adventure generic across several campaigns (FR, Greyhawk, Mystara), it can be safe to assume that she is one of the cross-setting dieties much the same way Moradin, Garl, Grumsh, Corellon, and most non-human dieties are.

Darrin
2007-11-26, 02:31 PM
Was he/she/it ever printed anywhere? If so, which book?

Blipdoolpoolp has been in D&D since the 1st Edition. She first appeared in "D2 - Shrine of the Kuo Toa", which has been reprinted a couple times... "D1-2: Descent into the Depths of the Earth", for example, and I think there was a D1-3 at one point. Blipdoolpoolp was a Gary Gygax creation, named most likely to get a laugh out of his players, although Kuo-Toa were essentially H.P. Lovecraft's Deep Ones with the serial numbers filed off. She's not tied to any particular campaign world, so wherever you have Kuo-Toa, you'd have Blipdoolpoolp worshipped.

As far as her stats, I don't believe those have ever been printed, but assuming Kuo-Toa = Deep Ones, you could probably use Cthulhu as a model (either the 1st Ed. Deities & Demigods version of the Cthulhu D20 version).

For worship details, the Nonhuman Deities table on page 124 in Complete Divine lists her domains and favored weapon.

Blanks
2007-11-26, 03:04 PM
He got 2 or 3 pages in 2E "Monster Mythology". Actually a nice book :)

Mr. Friendly
2007-11-26, 03:11 PM
Blipdoolpoolp has been in D&D since the 1st Edition. She first appeared in "D2 - Shrine of the Kuo Toa", which has been reprinted a couple times... "D1-2: Descent into the Depths of the Earth", for example, and I think there was a D1-3 at one point. Blipdoolpoolp was a Gary Gygax creation, named most likely to get a laugh out of his players, although Kuo-Toa were essentially H.P. Lovecraft's Deep Ones with the serial numbers filed off. She's not tied to any particular campaign world, so wherever you have Kuo-Toa, you'd have Blipdoolpoolp worshipped.

As far as her stats, I don't believe those have ever been printed, but assuming Kuo-Toa = Deep Ones, you could probably use Cthulhu as a model (either the 1st Ed. Deities & Demigods version of the Cthulhu D20 version).

For worship details, the Nonhuman Deities table on page 124 in Complete Divine lists her domains and favored weapon.

I know she had stats in the Original 1st Edition Deities and Demigods and later (also 1e) Legends and Lore. I am trying to find some stats now..

Runolfr
2007-11-26, 03:59 PM
She also has a little bit of information in Complete Divine in the "monster deities" table.

Rachel Lorelei
2007-11-26, 04:01 PM
Blipdoolpoolp is the best possible name for a water-type deity EVAR. C'mon, just say it out lout! Blipdoolpoolp!

RTGoodman
2007-11-26, 04:08 PM
Ah, Blipdoolpoolp - possibly my favorite D&D deity. And definitely the one with the best name. (Which, in my opinion, is supposed to be not only a silly name, but sort of mimic the sound of dripping water, which is appropriate for a deity like the Sea Mother).

I think somewhere I read quite a bit about here, but I'm not sure where. I just looked through my Living Greyhawk stuff, but to no avail. Maybe it was just in the Underdark book, which I've only looked through once.

Oh, by the way, I'm pretty sure she's the only deity (besides the Divine Pseudonatural Paragon Damn Crab found elsewhere on this board) that grants the Watery Death domain, which is easily one of the coolest domains.

the_tick_rules
2007-11-26, 11:27 PM
i bet he got made fun of when he was growing up.

Quietus
2007-11-26, 11:44 PM
i bet he got made fun of when he was growing up.

Yeah, specially after that sex change. You know, being female and all.

AslanCross
2007-11-27, 12:36 AM
What I always found strange about Blipdoolpoolp is that she looks nothing like the Kuo-Toa. While the Kuo-Toa are fish/frogmen, the Sea Mother looks like a human with the head and pincers of a lobster, last I checked.

Deepblue706
2007-11-27, 12:46 AM
What a dumb name.

Ganurath
2007-11-27, 01:46 AM
What a dumb name.Try saying a smart one underwater.

Premier
2007-11-27, 05:25 AM
The 2E AD&D book Monster Mythology also had a writeup on Blip..., including stats for her avatar. Yell if you want me to look it up.

SoD
2007-11-27, 05:35 AM
What a dumb name.

Blipdoolpoolp? A dumb name? Bah, Blipdoolpoolp is one of the better named deities in my opinion.

Blipdoolpoolp, to me conjures up water dripping onto stone in a dark cave. And it's a great thing to say at any time! Blipdoolpoolp! It works great in chants as well. BlipdoolpoolpblipdoolpoolplipdoolpoolpBlipdoolpool pblipdoolpoolplipdoolpoolpBlipdoolpoolpblipdoolpoo lplipdoolpoolp

Closet_Skeleton
2007-11-27, 07:08 AM
What I always found strange about Blipdoolpoolp is that she looks nothing like the Kuo-Toa. While the Kuo-Toa are fish/frogmen, the Sea Mother looks like a human with the head and pincers of a lobster, last I checked.

Maybe that appearance is the human interpretation of her.

Neon Knight
2007-11-27, 07:20 AM
The 2E AD&D book Monster Mythology also had a writeup on Blip..., including stats for her avatar. Yell if you want me to look it up.

Yell! Shout! Indication of interest!

SpikeFightwicky
2007-11-27, 11:54 AM
I checked up Blippey in the MM under Kuo-Tua, and sure as sugar, she has a small paragraph under the entry. Evil, Desctruction and Water domains = sweetness! I haven't checked Complete Divine yet.

I'm pretty sure I found a new favorite aquatic monster, displacing sahuagins and aboleths. After all, anything that worships something called 'Blipdoolpoolp' must mean business.

As for the claw staff (the Exalted whips use them), are they statted anywhere? They're mentioned in the MM and shown in MM V, but the mechanics behind the grapple ability are not. All we need is to add Dagon to Kuo-Tua society (if he's not already part of it... I'll have to re-read his entry in FC I) and it'll be Lovecraftian gold.

Mr. Friendly
2007-11-27, 12:00 PM
I checked up Blippey in the MM under Kuo-Tua, and sure as sugar, she has a small paragraph under the entry. Evil, Desctruction and Water domains = sweetness! I haven't checked Complete Divine yet.

I'm pretty sure I found a new favorite aquatic monster, displacing sahuagins and aboleths. After all, anything that worships something called 'Blipdoolpoolp' must mean business.

As for the claw staff (the Exalted whips use them), are they statted anywhere? They're mentioned in the MM and shown in MM V, but the mechanics behind the grapple ability are not. All we need is to add Dagon to Kuo-Tua society (if he's not already part of it... I'll have to re-read his entry in FC I) and it'll be Lovecraftian gold.

I know for sure that Underdark has the stats for the claw staff. I believe it is also listed in Savage Species. The version from Underdark does good damage, has reach and can do grapples.

Keld Denar
2007-11-27, 12:27 PM

Its worth noting that often, Kuo-tua are often allied with Abolith, if not in direct service of their more powerful underdark neighbors. Abolith often employ Kuo-Tua as slavers, venturing surfaceward to capture slaves for the abolith to either dominate using their vast mental manipulation powers, or convert into loyal skum forces.

That said, Kuo-Tua are very very very very (very) chaotic. Only through strict (and often violent) control do the clergy and leaders keep control over an established society. Much fun can be had by players by infiltrating Kuo-Tua societ and inciting riots by assassinating key control figures, desecrating Kuo-Tua religious sites, destroying hatcheries, and otherwise causing chaotic beings to behave more chaotically than normal.

SoD
2007-11-27, 01:52 PM
However, I can see my players enjoying making fun of Blipdoolpoolp.

''Cap'n, there a big Blip on the radar! In fact, it's more than a Blip, it's a Blipdoolpoolp!''

Aha. Ha. Not funny.

''The Kuo-toa worship a God(ess?) called Blipdoolpoolp.''
''So...they're fish-people who aren't mermaids who worship someone called Blipedyblop?''

Deepblue706
2007-11-27, 02:00 PM
Try saying a smart one underwater.

It's not so hard!

I honestly think the name came about because somebody was trying to be funny. But, I suppose I should be more surprised about someone writing background information for D&D and NOT think it's absolutely sucktastic, rather than act so alarmed when seeing just another prime example of crap.

nobodylovesyou4
2007-11-27, 02:26 PM
actually, blipdoolpoolp is mentioned in Lords of Madness, under the Mindflayer section, in the premade adventure. the lair of the mindflayer used to be a temple to bilpdoolpoolp. thats where i first heard about cthu- i mean, blipdoolpoolp.

SpikeFightwicky
2007-11-27, 03:09 PM
Its worth noting that often, Kuo-tua are often allied with Abolith, if not in direct service of their more powerful underdark neighbors. Abolith often employ Kuo-Tua as slavers, venturing surfaceward to capture slaves for the abolith to either dominate using their vast mental manipulation powers, or convert into loyal skum forces.

That said, Kuo-Tua are very very very very (very) chaotic. Only through strict (and often violent) control do the clergy and leaders keep control over an established society. Much fun can be had by players by infiltrating Kuo-Tua societ and inciting riots by assassinating key control figures, desecrating Kuo-Tua religious sites, destroying hatcheries, and otherwise causing chaotic beings to behave more chaotically than normal.

That actually sounds like a neat adventure, and some underwater activities would be a cool switch from the ordinary. Time to get those creative thoughts flowing!

Lords of Madness - check! Seems like she's had cameos in a ton of books of I've read through before...

2007-11-27, 03:17 PM
Deep Ones don't worship Cthulhu.

They worship Mother Hydra and Father Dagon.

I'm just saying...

Neon Knight
2007-11-27, 04:38 PM
Deep Ones don't worship Cthulhu.

They worship Mother Hydra and Father Dagon.

I'm just saying...

They also worship Cthulhu. Father Dagon and Mother Hydra seem to be Cthulhu's lieutenants. In some sources, Mother Hydra is just a really big Deep One. There have been various interpretations over the years, but even in the most original Lovercraft sources it appears as if Father Dagon and Mother Hydra serve Cthulhu. Worshiping them is the same as worshiping him.

Iku Rex
2007-11-27, 04:51 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blibdoolpoolp

Callos_DeTerran
2007-11-27, 04:56 PM

You might want to take a gander at Demonomicon article for Dagon instead. Certain ancient sects of Kuo-toa do worship Dagon but Sahuagin and Ablothes exterminate them when found out of fear. :smallamused: And yet other kuo-toa don't mind them at all.

2007-11-27, 05:10 PM
They also worship Cthulhu. Father Dagon and Mother Hydra seem to be Cthulhu's lieutenants. In some sources, Mother Hydra is just a really big Deep One. There have been various interpretations over the years, but even in the most original Lovercraft sources it appears as if Father Dagon and Mother Hydra serve Cthulhu. Worshiping them is the same as worshiping him.

Erm...

I never got that impression.

The only story I know of that mentions deep ones is "Shadow Over Innsmouth" where all the deep ones go to the Esoteric order of Dagon and worship him.

Dagon is described as a giant deep one in the story 'Dagon' where a guy watches him hump an obelisk.

Would you mind telling me where you read that Dagon and Hydra worship Cthulhu? I'd be interested in reading the story.