PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew help; magic monk

Gydian
2022-05-23, 11:32 AM
I have an idea of a monk that uses ki to manipulate the weave. This idea first came from an idea of changing deflect missiles to include deflecting magic attacks.

The idea is to use ki to manipulate change or see the magic that is around them. The first iteration, was to let the monk take wizard spells and cast them using ki. Now I'm thinking of something less open ended.

Some ideas include giving identify, detect magic, and an option for a cantrip (minor illusion, prestidigitation, or mending)
Another idea is to grant resistance to magic, ether in the form of resistance to the damage type or advantage on saves against magic.
Another idea is to use ki at the end of a short rest that enhances a monk feature, like AC, Perception, Initiative, or speed, the enhancement goes away when you take a new rest.
Another idea is to give the monk the sorcerers meta magic ability, and let the monk use a reaction to metamagic another caster's spell.
Another idea is to let the monk spend ki to shut down spells.
Another idea is to let the monk use magic items restricted to spell casters.

I'm in the brainstorming stage right now not sure which levels these features might go to.

Any ideas are welcome.

JNAProductions
2022-05-23, 11:47 AM
FYI, we've got a Homebrew Subforum (https://forums.giantitp.com/forumdisplay.php?15-Homebrew-Design) for this sort of stuff. You can report your own post and ask a moderator to move it.

On to the meat and potatoes...

Deflecting Magic Attacks is dope. Might be a bit wonky to word, but it's definitely a cool start.
Cantrips and Rituals make sense.
I'd want to make advantage on saves semi-limited. Resistance to damage is less in need of restriction.
Enhancing an existing ability feels like it could easily be a bit bland.
Metamagic for friends is cool-though might get problematic.
Counterpsell with Ki could be cool.
Bypassing magic item restrictions should be fine.

nickl_2000
2022-05-23, 11:51 AM
A few worth that may be worth looking at that I've made for inspiration

Way of the Shrine Guardian - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PlKJvqcLYholPYBCk59vxfhGcwdosHSEHV-TpfMuxP4/edit?usp=sharing
This is a magical monk who creates mystical charms that allow for casting of certain spells and give extra abilities

Way of the Telekinetic - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PlKJvqcLYholPYBCk59vxfhGcwdosHSEHV-TpfMuxP4/edit?usp=sharing
a telekinetic monk, not all that close but it could give some inspiration.

I would also check out the subclass contest in the homebrew forum, there are lots and lots of good ideas in there.

MrStabby
2022-06-01, 08:00 PM
I have an idea of a monk that uses ki to manipulate the weave. This idea first came from an idea of changing deflect missiles to include deflecting magic attacks.

The idea is to use ki to manipulate change or see the magic that is around them. The first iteration, was to let the monk take wizard spells and cast them using ki. Now I'm thinking of something less open ended.

Some ideas include giving identify, detect magic, and an option for a cantrip (minor illusion, prestidigitation, or mending)
Another idea is to grant resistance to magic, ether in the form of resistance to the damage type or advantage on saves against magic.
Another idea is to use ki at the end of a short rest that enhances a monk feature, like AC, Perception, Initiative, or speed, the enhancement goes away when you take a new rest.
Another idea is to give the monk the sorcerers meta magic ability, and let the monk use a reaction to metamagic another caster's spell.
Another idea is to let the monk spend ki to shut down spells.
Another idea is to let the monk use magic items restricted to spell casters.

I'm in the brainstorming stage right now not sure which levels these features might go to.

Any ideas are welcome.

I invesigated some similar thinking a while ago - in my case it was due to dissatisfaction wih the 4Elements monk. I wondered if you gave the monk spells that did things other than damage if they would be better. My thinking was that monks already do damage, helping them do damage but in a different way seems like it doesn't add that much to the class. My thinking was tying it to spell schools not to class, so you pick two spell schools and you can select your spells known from that school (of same level that 4E got spells). It was some time ago, so less issue round some of the new spells but I think we tried it once and the player picked abjuration and conjuration. It was certainly very flexible, but still suffered from a lot of the problems of 4E, that you got spells when they were no longer sexy and fun. Still, abjuration gave some nice reactions with shield and counterspell and conjuration opened up some very useful control elements with entangle and web and later on spirit guardians kept them competative in the damage department.

It worked... but I honesly felt my iteration didn't add much to the game. Replicating class specific spells feels like you will be stepping on someone's toes and there was not really any new content.

Garfunion
2022-06-03, 11:11 AM
A few worth that may be worth looking at that I've made for inspiration

Way of the Shrine Guardian - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PlKJvqcLYholPYBCk59vxfhGcwdosHSEHV-TpfMuxP4/edit?usp=sharing
This is a magical monk who creates mystical charms that allow for casting of certain spells and give extra abilities

I like this archetype idea. I might make a couple of tweaks to it though.

nickl_2000
2022-06-03, 11:54 AM
I like this archetype idea. I might make a couple of tweaks to it though.

Feel free to use it as is or take it, tweak it, and use it. I would love to see what you changed with your version and how it plays through :smallbiggrin: