PDA

View Full Version : monk of mercy with healer feat, herbalism kit, and healer kit wants to make ointment

animewatcha
2022-05-24, 03:12 AM
Mercy Monk of high level has healer feat, herbalism kit, and healer kit wants to make restorative ointment/Keoghtom's Ointment. What is needed for this like cost? Timeframe? Could Ki be defined as providng the 'magical aspect' or something?

Silly Name
2022-05-24, 04:16 AM
Following Xanathar's guidelines to crafting magic items, the character in question will first need to be in possession of the recipe for the ointment somehow. After that, they will need to retrieve some exotic component, and since Keoghtom's Ointment is an Uncommon wondrous item, they'll probably have to face a CR 4-to-8 foe in order to retrieve the ingredient (the creature may simply be the guardian of what the PC needs, not the source of the component itself).

After having gathered all the other ingredients, which should cost about 200 gp in total, it's time to actually get to work. Again, since this is an Uncommon item, it'll require two weeks of work. Optionally, the DM may halve both cost and time if they consider the ointment to be a consumable (which I would).

You don't strictly need to possess magic in order to create the item. All you need is proficiency in the right tools, and I'd say being proficient with Herbalism Kits fits the bill for Keoghtom's Ointment.

Kane0
2022-05-24, 04:40 AM
Following Xanathar's guidelines to crafting magic items, the character in question will first need to be in possession of the recipe for the ointment somehow. After that, they will need to retrieve some exotic component, and since Keoghtom's Ointment is an Uncommon wondrous item, they'll probably have to face a CR 4-to-8 foe in order to retrieve the ingredient (the creature may simply be the guardian of what the PC needs, not the source of the component itself).

After having gathered all the other ingredients, which should cost about 200 gp in total, it's time to actually get to work. Again, since this is an Uncommon item, it'll require two weeks of work. Optionally, the DM may halve both cost and time if they consider the ointment to be a consumable (which I would).

You don't strictly need to possess magic in order to create the item. All you need is proficiency in the right tools, and I'd say being proficient with Herbalism Kits fits the bill for Keoghtom's Ointment.

Yeah just about covers it.

Scarytincan
2022-05-26, 08:10 PM
This makes me wonder...what other items could be created using an herbalism kit? I really like that thematic

Kane0
2022-05-26, 08:22 PM
Potions (especially combined with Alchemy kit proficiency)
Bead of Nourishment/Refreshment
Heward's Handy Spice Pouch
Perfume of Bewitching
Pipe of Smoke Monsters
Dust of Appearance/Disappearance/Dryness/Sneezing
Eversmoking Bottle
Bag of Beans
Marvelous Pigments
Sovereign Glue
Universal Solvent

animewatcha
2022-05-26, 08:40 PM
Potions (especially combined with Alchemy kit proficiency)
Bead of Nourishment/Refreshment
Heward's Handy Spice Pouch
Perfume of Bewitching
Pipe of Smoke Monsters
Dust of Appearance/Disappearance/Dryness/Sneezing
Eversmoking Bottle
Bag of Beans
Marvelous Pigments
Sovereign Glue
Universal Solvent

Is this a 'wishlist' of sorts or are there rules for these somewhere? They would be awesome to make without need of a caster.

Kane0
2022-05-26, 08:53 PM
You don't need a caster. All you need is time, gold and the right ingredients. Your DM might also add additional requirements like proficiencies and spellcasting but that's not the default.