PDA

View Full Version : Spheres power, Mythic Hexes

graeylin
2022-05-24, 05:06 PM
In a PF game, and although the GM allows Sphere's of Power to be used, I am sticking with a plain PF Witch.

However, we gained our first tier as Mythic.

I chose archmage (kind of had it chosen/thrust upon me), but that's fine. For my first feat, I took Mythic Hex. Always nice to land the first hex without worrying about saves.

And then, the first time I use the ability, the GM declares that I visibly cast a hex... somatic, verbal components, gestures, etc..

For a hex.

Apparently, in Spheres, when you get to be Mythic, it comes with Mythic Casting Traditions, and the GM rules, that any time you use a mythic power/ability, those traditions come into play. So now, if I use a mythic hex, I end up making gestures and saying things aloud, pointing and glowing...

Is this really what Spheres intended to do to hexes in the Mythic Tradition? Take something that was a SU ability, could be done without fanfare, under silence, and make a standard wizard spell out of it? Why?

graeylin
2022-05-26, 07:52 PM
sorry, this got in the wrong area.

meant it to be in the 3.5/PF forum. not sure how I got it here, my bad.

Thunder999
2022-05-27, 06:57 PM
sorry, this got in the wrong area.

meant it to be in the 3.5/PF forum. not sure how I got it here, my bad.

I think you can report your own post and ask for it to be moved

Rynjin
2022-05-27, 07:46 PM
Apparently, in Spheres, when you get to be Mythic, it comes with Mythic Casting Traditions, and the GM rules, that any time you use a mythic power/ability, those traditions come into play. So now, if I use a mythic hex, I end up making gestures and saying things aloud, pointing and glowing...

Is this really what Spheres intended to do to hexes in the Mythic Tradition? Take something that was a SU ability, could be done without fanfare, under silence, and make a standard wizard spell out of it? Why?

Well, you're not a Spheres character...so Spheres Mythic rules don't apply to you. Ask your GM, very directly, why they are applying the Drawbacks of a Spheres character to someone who doesn't get the Boons?

Peelee
2022-05-27, 09:11 PM
The Mod on the Silver Mountain: Moved by popular demand.

Kitsuneymg
2022-05-27, 09:26 PM
Fwiw, even in SoP the Hex ability doesn’t inherit your casting tradition. Because, y’know, it’s not a sphere ability.

StSword
2022-05-27, 11:30 PM
In a PF game, and although the GM allows Sphere's of Power to be used, I am sticking with a plain PF Witch.

No (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/mythic-spheres).

First of all, mythic traditions are something you are supposed to choose with your DMs permission, not something the DM is supposed to choose for you without any warning whatsoever.

Second of all, since you aren't a spherecaster, you don't even qualify for that drawback as the DM is applying it. Since you are not a spherecaster you have no casting drawbacks to apply to your mythic abilities. Therefore under the rules you'd gain one drawback, and only that drawback would apply to your mythic powers. Like say you'd need a verbal component, or a gesture, not all of the above.

And thirdly, mythic traditions come with advantages as well as disadvantages, so you're supposed to be getting either a mythic boon or an extra use of mythic power per drawback in your mythic tradition. And since you didn't even know you had a tradition I don't see how you were getting any benefit out of it.

So your DM is doing nothing that they are supposed to be doing here with mythic traditions.

SangoProduction
2022-05-28, 01:29 AM
Yeah. As the resident "Spheres guy," I'll have to agree with literally everyone else here in saying the the DM has done it all wrong.
Most of all the communication bit. Where. You like. Communicate with the player about your intentions, rather than springing it on them in the middle of their action.
Now, don't get me wrong. You can do that as a "Oh fudge, something's going wrong," effect. But for something you intend to make permanent, it should be communicated ahead of time.

graeylin
2022-05-29, 10:45 AM
No (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/mythic-spheres).
Therefore under the rules you'd gain one drawback, and only that drawback would apply to your mythic powers. Like say you'd need a verbal component, or a gesture, not all of the above.

I think this may be where the GM was headed: the drawback would apply to my mythic power, which is Mythic Hex. So, suddenly, I would need to make the command word, or gesture and point, to do a mythic hex (whereas a normal hex requires absolutely nothing but thought). If I want to slumber something, I think about it. If I want to mythic slumber them, I need to suddenly speak a loud, clear command word.

And thirdly, mythic traditions come with advantages as well as disadvantages, so you're supposed to be getting either a mythic boon or an extra use of mythic power per drawback in your mythic tradition. And since you didn't even know you had a tradition I don't see how you were getting any benefit out of it.

Apparently, the offer of the boons was on the table, but because I wasn't aware of the drawback requirement, I wasn't aware of the boons, either. The GM applied the drawback, and I guess figured I had taken some boons somewhere they were not aware of.

StSword
2022-05-29, 01:03 PM
Ah good, you're talking about it.

Hopefully there's a boon you're willing to trade that drawback for, or you and the DM can work out a tradition that actually appeals.

Kitsuneymg
2022-05-29, 09:31 PM
Therefore under the rules you'd gain one drawback, and only that drawback would apply to your mythic powers.

Is this a base pathfinder rule? Because op is not using sop for his character at all and is selecting only non sop options. Why should they be subject to sop mythic rules at all.

Just as a casting tradition can represent the training and techniques of a spherecaster, a mythic tradition can represent the way a mythic spherecaster acquires and uses their abilities.

Note this entire section is about mythic *spherecasters*. And only them.

StSword
2022-05-30, 03:01 PM
Is this a base pathfinder rule? Because op is not using sop for his character at all and is selecting only non sop options. Why should they be subject to sop mythic rules at all.

Note this entire section is about mythic *spherecasters*. And only them.

Yes, that is literally how the drawback works.

And you are mistaken.

The mythic traditions is also in Mythic Spheres of Might book for mythic traditions to be used in games that don't even use spherecasting.

From the description of Mythic Spheres of Might "This book includes a small amount of material from Mythic Spheres of Power (especially parts of the mythic tradition system and the rules recommendations), allowing it to function as an entirely independent product for games that aren’t using mythic spherecasting."

Kitsuneymg
2022-05-30, 05:58 PM
Lol. A witch isn’t a spheres of might character either. Again. Ops character is not a spheres of anything character and should not have a mythic tradition at all.

The OP also stated Spheres of Power was in use but didn’t mention might. Regardless, as a pathfinder only witch, neither set of rules applies to their character.

The quote I quoted is from the mythic sop mythic traditions tab on the wiki. It quite literally states that the entire section is for spherecasters. If you wanna bitch at the wiki maintainer, have it.

icefractal
2022-06-01, 01:57 AM
Also, SoP traditions don't have to include any kind of components. You can just go 0/0 (no drawbacks or booms) or there are other non-component drawbacks.

And do things like Hexes even get the tradition applied if you *are* using SoP casting? It would seem a little odd, given as they wouldn't have components normally.