PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Struggling with the backstories (Currently Echo Knight)

Nepcchi
2022-05-25, 12:54 PM
I'm somehow always struggling with the backstory when making a character, to the point where after weeks upon weeks I only think of a small portion that I like and then I can never think of anything else that I believe will fit the character. The most current character would be a fighter that would at level 3 (obviously) "evolve" into a echo knight. The whole idea of the character is that at one point of her life, around almost a decade ago got attacked and right before she was saved, a quick glimpse getting her arm cut off flashed in her mind and she collapsed. Over the next few years, she would occasionally get these quick glimpses of another timeline, which caused her to go on an adventure (Queue up the campaign). The hardest part of this is writing a decent idea on what exactly is the source of those visions and powers she would later get so that I can guide the DM into that direction, yet still give him a open "area" to work with.

Was just wondering if anyone else has issues like these, I mostly find it real difficult for stuff like this where you have to come up with some explanation for the source of your power (Warlock Patron are just the bane of my existence due to this) and if you had any interesting concept regarding this to share (I won't steal, pinky promise)

Tawmis
2022-05-26, 02:16 AM
For me, character backgrounds come very easily. But my mind is a freaking maelstrom of a thousand voices demanding their stories to be told.

If you are still looking for a character background to be developed, please see my signature. I have a rather large thread, where I've written well over 150 backgrounds for folks on the forums, if that's something you're interested.

Mastikator
2022-05-26, 04:00 AM
If I have a mechanical idea for a PC I'll build the character first and work backwards for their backstory, 5e also has a background element that gives a great deal of inspiration. Mind you I think that if your backstory can't fit into the character sheet backstory box then it's too long. The echo from echo knight could just be called another form of magic that your character has learned through study. "My character learned it from a book many years ago, and with enough practice is now able to make this echo thingy".
If my intention is for the backstory to be used by the DM I'll talk to the DM about it. And I do the same as a DM if a player wants their backstory stuff to be in the game.

Pauly
2022-05-26, 07:57 AM
I found I got a lot better at backstories after playing skill based games like Traveller or GURPS.
Instead of looking at how your character acquired their class think about how and why they acquired the skills that make up their class.