PDA

View Full Version : stupidest prestige class names

daremetoidareyo
2022-05-25, 07:41 PM
What are some of the dumbest prestige class names, in your opinion.

Venger
2022-05-25, 07:49 PM
dark hunter
darkmask
eidoloncer
epic infiltrator
fochlucan lyrist
ghost faced killer
gray guard
moonsea skysentinel
nosomatic chirurgeon
olin gisir
ollam
pious templar
risen martyr
wearer of purple

daremetoidareyo
2022-05-25, 08:05 PM
what's your deal, wizard guy?

"I am a "Wearer of purple."

great.

Telonius
2022-05-25, 08:24 PM
Worst one, IMO: Jobber.

Biggus
2022-05-25, 08:38 PM
ardent dilettante
ashworm dragoon
cabinet trickster
doomdreamer
ghost-faced killer
Imaskari vengeance taker
menacing brute
slime lord

Saintheart
2022-05-25, 09:02 PM
Purple Dragon Knight.

Sorry, the word 'purple' is just one of those combinations of syllables that just doesn't play well with other words. Even Prince only gets away with Purple Rain due to the fact people are paying more attention to the guitar than the words.

Zaq
2022-05-25, 09:46 PM
Hand of the winged masters: I appreciate the attempt at lofty-sounding purple prose, but that still sounds... bad.

Knight of the iron glacier: I dunno, really? I feel like making a glacier out of iron makes it less intimidating. Iron isn't going to refreeze over itself and make all kinds of cool weird stuff that way. And it doesn't move.

Haztaratain: HULK SMASH KEYBOARD

True necromancer: This... just comes off as desperate-sounding, really.

Rynjin
2022-05-25, 09:58 PM
ghost faced killer

ghost-faced killer

I mean, if it's cool enough for a rapper it can't be that bad... (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghostface_Killah)

I think my favorite dumb PrC name is an intentional one, in Pathfinder's Spheres of Power 3pp. The Mageknight class has an archetype named "Knightknight", which as it may sound trades out its magical abilities for more martial options.

...Appropriately, it leads into the "Magemage" Prestige Class. "Don Robes and Magecap" is one of its class features.

For unintentionally dumb sounding options in 1st party 3.5 and PF:
Purple Dragon Knight
Bloatmage
Cosmic Descryer
Darechaser
Halfling Opportunist
Zerth Cenobite
Hand of the Winged Masters
Purity Legion Enforcer
Monk of the Enabled Hand

The Viscount
2022-05-25, 10:41 PM
Night Mask Deathbringer (bonus hatred because I have to look up how many words it is every time)

Thrall of Eltab (the powerful demon of diet cola)

Invisible Blade (should be about invisible knives, is about completely normal knives)

Venger
2022-05-25, 11:01 PM
Worst one, IMO: Jobber.

What book is that in?

Since they stopped making Tab, I wonder if he's in an Orcus/Tenebrous situation.

Biggus
2022-05-25, 11:12 PM
Haztaratain: HULK SMASH KEYBOARD

These two made me actually LOL, nice one.

I mean, if it's cool enough for a rapper it can't be that bad... (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghostface_Killah)

Yeah, I know of him. As he was already famous by the time the class came out, apparently it's a prestige class named after a rapper. I'm not sure that makes it less silly...

Venger
2022-05-25, 11:16 PM
It's probably named after the character from "The Mystery of Chess Boxing," which is where the rapper got the name from but since he was quite a bit more famous when sword and fist came out, it's distracting and a bad name for a prc since wu tang is all anyone's going to be able to think of.

Logalmier
2022-05-25, 11:26 PM
I think my favorite dumb PrC name is an intentional one, in Pathfinder's Spheres of Power 3pp. The Mageknight class has an archetype named "Knightknight", which as it may sound trades out its magical abilities for more martial options.

...Appropriately, it leads into the "Magemage" Prestige Class. "Don Robes and Magecap" is one of its class features.

Virgin Mageknight vs. Chad Knightknight/Magemage

ben-zayb
2022-05-26, 12:00 AM
Extreme Explorer: Ok? Dora?

Gray Guard: I'm sure whoever named this PrC thought they were being real clever.

Acolyte of the Skin: I mean technically it makes sense, but couldn't you make it sound more intimidating than Dermatologist?

Eunuch Warlock: I blame the evolution of language for making anyone who took this PrC seem underwhelming and impotent.

Lifedrinker: Just because Soul Eater works as a good PrC name doesn't mean you can get away with "Lifedrinker"

Ninja Spy: Sounds like something out of Department of Redundancy Department

Rainbow Servant: Like Acolyte of the Skin, couldn't you make a more badass or fiercer name for a PrC associated with couatls?

Ollam, Olin Gisir, Sangehirn, Ruathar, Swanmay, Yathrinshee: A what now?

Bohandas
2022-05-26, 12:51 AM
It's probably named after the character from "The Mystery of Chess Boxing," which is where the rapper got the name from but since he was quite a bit more famous when sword and fist came out, it's distracting and a bad name for a prc since wu tang is all anyone's going to be able to think of.

And if they don't think of Wu Tang they'll think of Scream which will confuse then even more.

I don't know what posessed them to assume that anyone has seen Mystery of Chessboxing

Thrice Dead Cat
2022-05-26, 02:02 AM
ardent dilettante
ashworm dragoon
cabinet trickster
doomdreamer
ghost-faced killer
Imaskari vengeance taker
menacing brute
slime lord

I feel like Ashworm Dragoon and IVT are at least reasonable. Dragoon is exactly what it says on the tin: you ride an ashworm and do the usual mounted combat tricks. Imaskari Vengeance Taker is approaching edgelord territory, but it's essentially just another <Race> <Adjective> <Noun> type name and I don't see anyone here bad mouthing Dwarven Defenders or Elven Bladesingers.

Rynjin
2022-05-26, 02:05 AM
Virgin Mageknight vs. Chad Knightknight/Magemage

Knightknight/Magemage is one of those characters I joke about playing every single time we start up a new game and one day I'll actually do it.

Saintheart
2022-05-26, 02:16 AM
Heartfire Fanner.

Just as well it's overpowered, because that name is just silly.

Troacctid
2022-05-26, 02:22 AM
Shade Hunter. Sounds like it should be some sort of Van Helsing or Ghostbuster, right? Nope, it's all about delving into dungeons and finding treasure.

Lady/Lord of the Dead. I appreciate that there's finally a prestige class aimed at genderfluid characters, but boy(/girl), it certainly does not roll off the tongue.

Elder Druid. I don't care what Terry Brooks says; this is D&D, and around here, this is not an appropriate name for a prestige class that is only accessible to arcane casters.

Wizard of High Sorcery. Same problem. Which are you, a wizard or a sorcerer? Make up your mind!

Cavestalker (vs. Cave Stalker) and Fiendbinder (vs. Fiend Binder). Both of these prestige classes have the same name as existing prestige classes except for the deletion of the space between the two words. You'd think they would check for namespace collisions.

Dark Hunter (vs. Unseelie Dark Hunter). This was a terrible, edgy-AF name to begin with, but then they went and used it twice. It is truly the "Winged Dragon, Guardian of the Fortress #2" of prestige classes.

Champion of Gwynharwyf. Gesundheit.

Nosomatic Chirurgeon. First off, I realize "noso-" is the Latin root for "disease," but that doesn't mean it doesn't sound absurd. Second, "chirurgeon"? How many times did you run that one through a thesaurus? Third, you misspelled your own made-up word. It should be "-mantic," not "-matic," you pitiful fools.

Mage-Killer. Really, you're going to call yourself Mage-Killer? Your only class features are Augment Summoning and four copies of Spell Focus. What does that have to do with killing mages? Nothing. I mean, what's next? "Check out my new prestige class: Ooze Slayer! It grants Dodge and Alertness as bonus feats, halves the time required to craft scrolls, allows you to cast message at will, and makes your unarmed strikes count as silver for the purpose of bypassing damage reduction!"

Blighter. Even if you're not from a region where this is a common slang term, it still sounds like a zombie movie that refuses to use the word "zombie." (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RexjMg6Eww4)

Saintheart
2022-05-26, 02:37 AM
Thrall of Fraz-Urbluu.

Much more bearable if you abbreviate and retitle it logically to be the Thrall of ****-U.

Venger
2022-05-26, 03:08 AM
Shade Hunter. Sounds like it should be some sort of Van Helsing or Ghostbuster, right? Nope, it's all about delving into dungeons and finding treasure.

It doesn't help that it hunts monsters that literally do not exist. As a consolation, you are really good at packing suitcases.

sleepyphoenixx
2022-05-26, 03:28 AM
Acolyte of the Ego

Your class features are arrogance and narcissism, which you express by constantly saying your own name.

Metastachydium
2022-05-26, 04:00 AM
Nosomatic Chirurgeon. First off, I realize "noso-" is the Latin root for "disease," but that doesn't mean it doesn't sound absurd. Second, "chirurgeon"? How many times did you run that one through a thesaurus? Third, you misspelled your own made-up word. It should be "-mantic," not "-matic," you pitiful fools.

Personally, I think all whatevermancy-type names that have nothing to do with divination are stupid and very clear proof that whoever came up with the name in question had no idea what they are doing. The worst offenders on this front are probably
Cerebremancer (really?) and
Anarchomancer (you tell the future from… Anarchy?), but
Arachnomancer is up there, as would be
Nosomantic Chirurgeon (which is indeed horrible, no matter how we tweak it). I'll give the developers the benefit of the doubt, though, and pretend that it was meant to be Nosematic Chirurgeon (from νοσημα, -ατος, 'disease'). It's still bad, of course but a tiny little bit less bad.

Anyway, here's a further selection of offenders:
Psion Uncarnate (that's not a real word and you know that!);
Illumine Soul (illumine is a verb!);
Psibond Agent (no. Just no);
Master Thrower (we get it, you throw stuff);
Illithid Body Tamer (extra credit for being horribly nondescriptive);
Yathchol Webrider (what's a yathchol?);
Skullclan Hunter;
Arcanopath Monk (no comment);
Cerebrex (could you perhaps make sure your made-up words at least sound good-ish?);
Bowman Charger (a bowman that charges! Truly, the pinnacle of tactical insight);
Harmonium (https://emmenegger-orgelbau.ch/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Alexandre-Harmonium-Lippuner-003.jpg) Peacekeeper;
Incantifier (…);
Ranger Knight of Furyondy (say it with me: Furyondy);
Shark Cultist (adding insult to injury, they have to wear the head of a shark as a hood);
Stoneface;
Wormhunter;
Holocaust Warrior (whoever thought that this is a good idea? Now, seriously?)

Kurald Galain
2022-05-26, 04:03 AM
nosomatic chirurgeon

A no-somatic chirurgeon is clearly someone who surgically removes somatic components from spells, right? :smallamused:

Dalmosh
2022-05-26, 05:51 AM
Unseen Seer takes the cake for me

Manyasone
2022-05-26, 07:46 AM
Yeah, I know of him. As he was already famous by the time the class came out, apparently it's a prestige class named after a rapper. I'm not sure that makes it less silly...

Isn't the Ghostfaced Killer PrC based on...welll, the ghostfaced killer antagonist of the "Scream" franchise

Telonius
2022-05-26, 08:00 AM
What book is that in?

Dragon 310. It's a weird little prestige class, Halfling-only.

Biggus
2022-05-26, 08:33 AM

Wow, no I had not heard of that.

I feel like Ashworm Dragoon and IVT are at least reasonable. Dragoon is exactly what it says on the tin: you ride an ashworm and do the usual mounted combat tricks. Imaskari Vengeance Taker is approaching edgelord territory, but it's essentially just another <Race> <Adjective> <Noun> type name and I don't see anyone here bad mouthing Dwarven Defenders or Elven Bladesingers.

Ashworm Dragoon is fair enough logically, it just sounds silly to me.

Imaskari Vengeance Taker is a really clunky name though. What's wrong with "Avenger"?

Isn't the Ghostfaced Killer PrC based on...welll, the ghostfaced killer antagonist of the "Scream" franchise

Apparently not, see Venger's answer above.

loky1109
2022-05-26, 09:00 AM

I think it's something Japanese.

ShurikVch
2022-05-26, 09:21 AM
Shadow Chasers (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_Chasers)?

Lady/Lord of the Dead. I appreciate that there's finally a prestige class aimed at genderfluid characters, but boy(/girl), it certainly does not roll off the tongue.
King/Queen of the Wild (Masters of the Wild) was published 8 months earlier

Elder Druid. I don't care what Terry Brooks says; this is D&D, and around here, this is not an appropriate name for a prestige class that is only accessible to arcane casters.
In the Midnight Campaign Setting, Druid is a prestige class that is only accessible to arcane casters

Wizard of High Sorcery. Same problem. Which are you, a wizard or a sorcerer? Make up your mind!
Dragonlance (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragonlance) predates the 3E; there were no sorcerers on Krynn

I took "Nosomatic" as "No-somatic" - i. e. something like "to operate without a movement"

Harmonium (https://emmenegger-orgelbau.ch/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Alexandre-Harmonium-Lippuner-003.jpg) Peacekeeper;
Also, Appalachian dulcimer (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appalachian_dulcimer) is called "harmonium" too

Wormhunter;
In the Kyuss-centered adventure path. Stupid?

Well, firstly: the PrC is for Githyanki - always-Evil race of godless imperialists
Secondly: Holocaust cloak (https://princessbride.fandom.com/wiki/Holocaust_cloak) in the Princess Bride (1987)
Thirdly: among the various monsters in the game is a Living Holocaust (Hey, they also have Genocid!)

I thinking it every single time I seeing a mention of this particular PrC
(Especially after the addition to the Dead by Daylight)

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/jA2KRwDetAo/mqdefault.jpg

Metastachydium
2022-05-26, 09:40 AM
Also, Appalachian dulcimer (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appalachian_dulcimer) is called "harmonium" too

Mostly a hammer dulcimer person, myself. That said, a Pseudomedieval!UN Peacekeeper playing that or a pump organ are both exquisite mental images.

In the Kyuss-centered adventure path. Stupid?

The title of the thread asks for stupid names, and yes, I think Wormhunter's a pretty stupid name, even if it makes perfect sense.

Well, firstly: the PrC is for Githyanki - always-Evil race of godless imperialists

(…)

Thirdly: among the various monsters in the game is a Living Holocaust

Don't forget about the Holocaust Disciple! (The hell's wrong with WotC?)

(Hey, they also have Genocid!)

And a special ability literally called Racial Hatred, and that on a non-Evil creature to boot.

And a couple of new ones:
Mole (for obvious reasons);
Night Mask Deathbringer (for even more obvious reasons).

Telok
2022-05-26, 09:57 AM
War Mind : I can haz fight brain!

Crichton
2022-05-26, 11:02 AM
Thrall of Fraz-Urbluu.

Much more bearable if you abbreviate and retitle it logically to be the Thrall of ****-U.

As silly as that word is, this one actually makes sense to anyone who's been around D&D lore for a while. Fraz-Urb'luu is the name of one of the main Demon Lords, an old-school Gygax creation that's been around since the 1983 Monster Manual 2, at least, and has been in a lot of lore and adventure modules ever since.

Metastachydium
2022-05-26, 12:08 PM
As silly as that word is, this one actually makes sense to anyone who's been around D&D lore for a while. Fraz-Urb'luu is the name of one of the main Demon Lords, an old-school Gygax creation that's been around since the 1983 Monster Manual 2, at least, and has been in a lot of lore and adventure modules ever since.

Yeah, were it not for Demogorgon, one would think "it sounds stupid" is a neccessary prerequisite for a sequence of sounds (or letters; I'm pretty sure some of those are unpronouncable) to become the name of demonic big fish. I mean, Yeenoghu? Pazuzu? Juiblex? Kostshch[many more random sibilants]ie??

Buufreak
2022-05-26, 12:10 PM
Purple Dragon Knight.

Sorry, the word 'purple' is just one of those combinations of syllables that just doesn't play well with other words. Even Prince only gets away with Purple Rain due to the fact people are paying more attention to the guitar than the words.

Yes. The guitar. Definitely.

Cygnia
2022-05-26, 12:12 PM
Yeah, were it not for Demogorgon, one would think "it sounds stupid" is a neccessary prerequisite for a sequence of sounds (or letters; I'm pretty sure some of those are unpronouncable) to become the name of demonic big fish. I mean, Yeenoghu? Pazuzu? Juiblex? Kostshch[many more random sibilants]ie??

To be fair, Pazuzu (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pazuzu) has links in our mythology...

Crichton
2022-05-26, 12:14 PM

It hadn't crossed my mind before, but a few weeks ago a friend of mine who's an old-school OG 1st and 2nd ed longtime DM told me that Gygax and co. started using those sorts of odd unpronounceable names for D&D demons and devils during the 80s 'satanic panic' uproar, so as to distance themselves from any demon or devil names used in the literature around real-world belief systems.

Thrice Dead Cat
2022-05-26, 12:24 PM
Ashworm Dragoon is fair enough logically, it just sounds silly to me.

That's fair. I don't think it's silly, but it's little different than something like Dragon Slayer or Dragon Rider to me. They're not necessarily good names, but they all at least invoke a specific theme. Plus, I've always liked the Final Fantasy dragoons with their pole arms and silly aggrevated falling damage - even if the prestige class doesn't fall into that vein.

Imaskari Vengeance Taker is a really clunky name though. What's wrong with "Avenger"?

Vengeance Taker is certainly edgier, like I said. It is a little silly, but I also don't mind some of the other names here that are full of purple prose (much in the same way that I don't mind -mancer having been separated from its linguistic origins of divination). I just think it's neat, I guess. And it's not like it can't be both stupid and neat.

As for a contribution to the thread, I've never much cared for Flesh Warper. It focuses on grafts and aberrations, but I always expected more from it (and maybe a transmutation theme instead of the familiar modifications).

Wildstag
2022-05-26, 12:26 PM
Peregrine Runner, but only because it describes the PrC perfectly and there's not much that you can do with that. Oh you run. Oh, you have a peregrine falcon companion? Yeah, don't sign me up.

P.S. Also Thief-Acrobat, because it ALSO describes the PrC perfectly, but in the least fun way possible.

Metastachydium
2022-05-26, 12:31 PM
To be fair, Pazuzu (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pazuzu) has links in our mythology...

It hadn't crossed my mind before, but a few weeks ago a friend of mine who's an old-school OG 1st and 2nd ed longtime DM told me that Gygax and co. started using those sorts of odd unpronounceable names for D&D demons and devils during the 80s 'satanic panic' uproar, so as to distance themselves from any demon or devil names used in the literature around real-world belief systems.

Fair and fair.

That's fair. I don't think it's silly, but it's little different than something like Dragon Slayer or Dragon Rider to me. They're not necessarily good names, but they all at least invoke a specific theme.

Tremble before the mighty Dire Maggot Demilancer!

Vengeance Taker is certainly edgier, like I said.

They should have gone for Vengeful Imaskari Retribution Dispenser, I say.

much in the same way that I don't mind -mancer having been separated from its linguistic origins of divination

HERETIC! (Also, that it's often mixed up with Latin or (horribile dictu!) English roots makes my blood sap boil.)

loky1109
2022-05-26, 12:49 PM
I took "Nosomatic" as "No-somatic" - i. e. something like "to operate without a movement"

More likely somebody who performs surgical operations on No-body. Soul, you know.

We have so many languages on the Earth... Very many words sounds as f**k on one of them, far more sound some like more or less. Maybe even one of words you used in your post. Or more than one. Don't know.

Kostshch[many more random sibilants]ie??
Кощей sounds well! It another language. English just doesn't have sound for "щ".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koschei

Thrice Dead Cat
2022-05-26, 12:53 PM
Tremble before the mighty Dire Maggot Demilancer!

Hey now, that's "Juvenile Purpleworm Trainer" to you, bub! :smalltongue:

They should have gone for Vengeful Imaskari Retribution Dispenser, I say.

That would have a better acronym, but it's approaching Redundant Department of Redundancy (not that that hasn't ever stopped WOTC before). Fluff wise, they're associated with "The Lodge of the Retributive Masters," so I don't know why they didn't just go with "Retributive Master/Mistress" instead.

HERETIC! (Also, that it's often mixed up with Latin or (horribile dictu!) English roots makes my blood sap boil.)

Wait, I thought "-mancy" was a Latin root? Also, I think the main reason why I don't mind being applied to casters in general instead of just diviners (besides the usual layperson reason, at least) is because of Erfworld's very tongue-in-cheek naming conventions for all of the different Erf-mancers.

Kurald Galain
2022-05-26, 12:57 PM

So do Demogorgon (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demogorgon) and Koshchey (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koschei).

No excuses though for Zuggtmoy or WxrtHltl-jwlpklz.

Metastachydium
2022-05-26, 01:24 PM
Hey now, that's "Juvenile Purpleworm Trainer" to you, bub! :smalltongue:

Heh. (Am I correct in assuming that now is not the right time to point out that maggots are not, in fact, young worms?)

That would have a better acronym, but it's approaching Redundant Department of Redundancy (not that that hasn't ever stopped WOTC before). Fluff wise, they're associated with "The Lodge of the Retributive Masters," so I don't know why they didn't just go with "Retributive Master/Mistress" instead.

That would make too much sense, I suppose.

Wait, I thought "-mancy" was a Latin root?

Nope, while Latin may have had a hand in transmitting it to various modern languages, it's actually Greek.

Also, I think the main reason why I don't mind being applied to casters in general instead of just diviners (besides the usual layperson reason, at least) is because of Erfworld's very tongue-in-cheek naming conventions for all of the different Erf-mancers.

[Shudders.] Don't even bring that up!

Кощей sounds well! It another language. English just doesn't have sound for "щ".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koschei

So do Demogorgon (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demogorgon) and Koshchey (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koschei).

And Koshchei is a perfectly good name! Kostchtchie, on the other hand…

ShurikVch
2022-05-26, 01:37 PM
Lifedrinker: Just because Soul Eater works as a good PrC name doesn't mean you can get away with "Lifedrinker"
How about The Life Eater Prestige Class (https://web.archive.org/web/20121104080452/https://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=fr/pg20020911b)?

Swanmay: A what now?
Swanmay - pre-3E - was existing playable creature ("Swanmays are human females who can transform into swans (but they are not actually swans).") Then 3.5 decided to make them a PrC
April issue of Dragon parodied it by introducing "man drake". No, not "mandrake" - "man drake" ("man" instead "may", and "drake" instead "swan") "Man-drakes constantly woo swanmays,
although the latter are appalled by them and always ignore them." Casts spells as Druid of d6 level, and have Ducks as Animal Companions.

Juiblex?
I know at least one case when even authors themselves failed to spell it correctly (named him "Jubilex")

Cygnia
2022-05-26, 01:40 PM
Swanmay - pre-3E - was existing playable creature ("Swanmays are human females who can transform into swans (but they are not actually swans).") Then 3.5 decided to make them a PrC
April issue of Dragon parodied it by introducing "man drake". No, not "mandrake" - "man drake" ("man" instead "may", and "drake" instead "swan") "Man-drakes constantly woo swanmays,
although the latter are appalled by them and always ignore them." Casts spells as Druid of d6 level, and have Ducks as Animal Companions.

Given what I know about ducks in real life, that was a "joke" in real poor taste... :smallfrown:

Kurald Galain
2022-05-26, 01:51 PM
Ollam, Sangehirn, Ruathar, Swanmay: A what now?
References, mostly.

Ollam is a reference to Irish mythology. Sangehirn is faux-German for "mind-healer". Ruathar appears to be a McAffrey reference. And swanmay is a swan maiden from Germanic myth, with the last letters cut off to sound cool or something.

That doesn't necessarily make them less stupid :smallamused:

Were they going for "battle" spelled backwards? Because spelling names backwards has never been stupid, nosiree! :smallbiggrin:

Thrice Dead Cat
2022-05-26, 03:46 PM
Heh. (Am I correct in assuming that now is not the right time to point out that maggots are not, in fact, young worms?)

I mean, go ahead. I feel like I was already stretching things anyhow given that ashworms are more like coyotes to the purple worm's wolf, to add even more animals to this already tattered analogy.

That would make too much sense, I suppose.

It's just not the WOTC way (or at least, not the 3.X way, given that later editions look like they at least tried to follow some of the MtG templating examples).

Nope, while Latin may have had a hand in transmitting it to various modern languages, it's actually Greek.

Ah, the other half of "Greco-Roman." My mistake.

[Shudders.] Don't even bring that up!

I didn't mind the occasional lampshade (or most of the rest of the lampshade factory), but there were some pretty terrible puns throughout the series even without the satirical magical styles.

Maybe it's just my complete lack of understanding of Slavic languages, but those are the same picture.

ShurikVch
2022-05-26, 03:51 PM
Harmonium (https://emmenegger-orgelbau.ch/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Alexandre-Harmonium-Lippuner-003.jpg) Peacekeeper
Also, Harmonium (https://aliens.fandom.com/wiki/Harmonium) from The Sirens of Titan (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sirens_of_Titan) (1959)

Elenian
2022-05-26, 04:13 PM
As mentioned in the other thread, I actually really like 'Wearer of Purple' and I'm sad to see the disdain for it here.

"Incantatrix", on the other hand, bothers me. It's just 'Enchantress', but weirdly back-formed into Latin. It should probably just be "Incantrix".

Buufreak
2022-05-26, 04:39 PM
As mentioned in the other thread, I actually really like 'Wearer of Purple' and I'm sad to see the disdain for it here.

"Incantatrix", on the other hand, bothers me. It's just 'Enchantress', but weirdly back-formed into Latin. It should probably just be "Incantrix".

I've literally always pronounced it this way, refusing to accept that middle syllable.

daremetoidareyo
2022-05-26, 05:04 PM
Enchantatress!

loky1109
2022-05-26, 05:06 PM
Maybe it's just my complete lack of understanding of Slavic languages, but those are the same picture.
Let go to the google translate and listen how different sounds Koshchei, Kostchtchie and Кощей (Russian original). You right in something. Both English variants are... well, let I say "bad".

Oh! I always uttered it that way. "Incantrix".

KillianHawkeye
2022-05-26, 05:19 PM

I'm reasonably sure you're meant to use either Lady or Lord, as applicable to the character, rather than introduce yourself as a Lady/Lord. :smallamused:

Volthawk
2022-05-26, 05:27 PM
I know at least one case when even authors themselves failed to spell it correctly (named him "Jubilex")

...until right now, I thought Jubilex was the correct spelling.

ben-zayb
2022-05-26, 05:41 PM
"Incantatrix", on the other hand, bothers me. It's just 'Enchantress', but weirdly back-formed into Latin. It should probably just be "Incantrix".Likewise, "incantatar" is a butchered form of the real word incantator, which you can already guess the meaning of.

Bohandas
2022-05-26, 05:49 PM

Plus Koshchei was a lich and Kostchtchie doesn't really have particularly much to do with the undead at all, so in addition to being misspelled the name is also a non-sequitur

Analytica
2022-05-26, 06:41 PM
Also, Harmonium (https://aliens.fandom.com/wiki/Harmonium) from The Sirens of Titan (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sirens_of_Titan) (1959)

This class is named for the Planescape faction it denotes a member of though, like all the Planar Handbook PrCs!

Venger
2022-05-26, 08:39 PM
...until right now, I thought Jubilex was the correct spelling.

It was, in 3.0. In the 3.5 update, they changed it to "Juiblex." At least once or twice in each edition they did in fact misspell it as "Jubiblex" though because they just don't care.

Bohandas
2022-05-26, 08:50 PM

No, it's appatently named after another character with the same name from an obscure movie named Mystery Of Chessboxing.

(Honestly the whole matter reminds me of the Bookshop (https://montycasinos.com/montypython/scripts/bookshop.php.html) and Courtmartial (https://montycasinos.com/montypython/scripts/courtmar.php.html) sketches from Monty Python. Specifically the parts about "Charles Dikkens with two k's, the Dutch author", and the part about a different Cole Porter who wrote a different Anything Goes. It's basically the same ridiculous thing happening here)

Saintheart
2022-05-26, 09:27 PM
Then 3.5 decided to make them a PrC

And here I am, sadly disappointed that they weren't actually referencing Mandrake the Magician (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandrake_the_Magician).

Saintheart
2022-05-26, 09:32 PM
as mentioned in the other thread, i actually really like 'wearer of purple' and i'm sad to see the disdain for it here.

"incantatrix", on the other hand, bothers me. It's just 'enchantress', but weirdly back-formed into latin. It should probably just be "incantrix".

DO not take me for a CONJURER of CHEAP TRIX.

Thrice Dead Cat
2022-05-26, 09:36 PM
Let go to the google translate and listen how different sounds Koshchei, Kostchtchie and Кощей (Russian original). You right in something. Both English variants are... well, let I say "bad".

Switching alphabets never helps, and English just makes it worse with our very, very loose pronunciation rules.

I could have sworn that MoF (or whatever the 3.0 book was that introduced the class) version had a typo where the header for the class read "Incantrix" but every other place in the book had the "Incantatrix."

SimonMoon6
2022-05-26, 10:09 PM
what's your deal, wizard guy?

"I am a "Wearer of purple."

great.

Imagine having to take a prestige class to be able to wear purple. I guess that means nobody without the prestige class can wear purple?

Oh, and just looking at the class abilities of the "wearer of purple" prestige class, I notice that one of their abilities has a really stupid name: Dracoride. To help you ride dragons.

For me, some of the worst-named prestige classes are things like "Samurai", where it's a generic name but the class isn't good enough to be the one and only samurai class, so other classes have to either use the same name (confusing) or have to have an overly elaborate name to compensate, like "Samurai of the Fifteen Veils of Nakamura" (which I just made up for an example). I don't have enough names of classes memorized to give a better example.

Saintheart
2022-05-26, 10:19 PM
Imagine having to take a prestige class to be able to wear purple. I guess that means nobody without the prestige class can wear purple?

Oh, and just looking at the class abilities of the "wearer of purple" prestige class, I notice that one of their abilities has a really stupid name: Dracoride. To help you ride dragons.

For me, some of the worst-named prestige classes are things like "Samurai", where it's a generic name but the class isn't good enough to be the one and only samurai class, so other classes have to either use the same name (confusing) or have to have an overly elaborate name to compensate, like "Samurai of the Fifteen Veils of Nakamura" (which I just made up for an example). I don't have enough names of classes memorized to give a better example.

Which reminds me of another terrible PrC name: the Master Samurai from 3.0.

... Samurai means to serve.

You are a Master Servant.

Let alone that the PrC is awful beyond words.

Rynjin
2022-05-27, 03:06 AM

You have a grudge against the noble profession of maitre d too?

Saintheart
2022-05-27, 04:29 AM
You have a grudge against the noble profession of maitre d too?

I don't listen to hiphop.

Metastachydium
2022-05-27, 04:34 AM

Aw, those things are cute!

I've literally always pronounced it this way, refusing to accept that middle syllable.

Enchantatress!

I could have sworn that MoF (or whatever the 3.0 book was that introduced the class) version had a typo where the header for the class read "Incantrix" but every other place in the book had the "Incantatrix."

Fun fact: you're all wrong. Incantator and (in)cantatrix are actual Latin words that were used with the actual meanings of 'wizard/warlock' and 'witch', respectively. Cantor/cantrix and their derivatives, in the meantime, did not have the same connotation.

Rynjin
2022-05-27, 04:34 AM
I don't listen to hiphop.

I'm not certain if this is a joke or not, so this sentence is a link. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ma%C3%AEtre_d%27h%C3%B4tel)

Bohandas
2022-05-27, 11:31 AM
I think it might be a South Park refrence

InvisibleBison
2022-05-27, 11:50 AM

Let alone that the PrC is awful beyond words.

While I can't speak to the quality of the PrC, I don't see anything wrong with the name. For one thing, etymology is not definition. Samurai may derive from a word meaning to serve, but it's not a synonym for servant. Moreover, "master servant" is a perfectly respectable phrase, and I don't understand why you seem to find it problematic.

Elenian
2022-05-27, 12:31 PM
Fun fact: you're all wrong. Incantator and (in)cantatrix are actual Latin words that were used with the actual meanings of 'wizard/warlock' and 'witch', respectively. Cantor/cantrix and their derivatives, in the meantime, did not have the same connotation.

Huh. So it is. The earliest citations seem to be fairly late (Isidore), but definitely real. Well. That's... faintly embarrassing for me (in real life I do academic work on demons in the Latin philosophical tradition).

EDIT: Aw, darn. It's in the Vulgate. Well, I have no excuse. Don't tell my advisor.

Wonton64
2022-05-27, 01:01 PM
While I can't speak to the quality of the PrC, I don't see anything wrong with the name. For one thing, etymology is not definition. Samurai may derive from a word meaning to serve, but it's not a synonym for servant. Moreover, "master servant" is a perfectly respectable phrase, and I don't understand why you seem to find it problematic.

I assumed it was a joke based on one of the definitions of master, which would be an antonym for the word servant. Or they just didn't understand the adjective form of master.

Metastachydium
2022-05-27, 04:45 PM
(in real life I do academic work on demons in the Latin philosophical tradition).

That's pretty neat, actually.

EDIT: Aw, darn. It's in the Vulgate. Well, I have no excuse. Don't tell my advisor.

And assist you in concealing your disgrace? I will be no willing instrument to that end! In other words, I'm so telling your advisor (um, the moment I figure out who that is)!

Zaq
2022-05-27, 07:59 PM
It was, in 3.0. In the 3.5 update, they changed it to "Juiblex." At least once or twice in each edition they did in fact misspell it as "Jubiblex" though because they just don't care.

Sounds like it's a little... squishy.

Nando
2022-05-27, 09:02 PM
We've already had quite a lot of those...awfully edgy classes, but Warrior of Darkness is also quite up there, I feel.

Other names I find kinda stupid are those in the vain of the Ruby Knight Vindicator - are you vindicating Ruby Knights or are you a vindicating Ruby Knight?

Also in this direction goes the Rake - yes, I know that it's also a term for a person, and in the context the class appears it's obvious that that's what is meant, but still, a gardening tool, really?

ShurikVch
2022-05-28, 04:52 PM
Other names I find kinda stupid are those in the vain of the Ruby Knight Vindicator - are you vindicating Ruby Knights or are you a vindicating Ruby Knight?

Also in this direction goes the Rake - yes, I know that it's also a term for a person, and in the context the class appears it's obvious that that's what is meant, but still, a gardening tool, really?
With such logic, Knight of the Sacred Seal...

https://images.wallpaperscraft.com/image/single/seal_fat_lying_115124_300x168.jpg

daremetoidareyo
2022-05-28, 04:56 PM
I like that KoSS better. Seal warshipping is cool

Wonton64
2022-05-28, 08:41 PM

https://images.wallpaperscraft.com/image/single/seal_fat_lying_115124_300x168.jpg

I believe you meant to post this on the other thread about awesome PrC names.

MaxiDuRaritry
2022-05-28, 10:42 PM
DO not take me for a CONJURER of CHEAP TRIX.Silly Saintheart. Trix are for kidz.

Wildstag
2022-05-29, 12:10 AM
Ah, another forgotten until now... Halfling Whistler

loky1109
2022-05-29, 12:16 AM

Literally Sealot.

Bohandas
2022-05-29, 12:15 PM
DO not take me for a CONJURER of CHEAP TRIX.

Now that I think of it I'm a little disappointed that "Conjurer of Cheap Tricks" was never the name of a prestige class

Crichton
2022-05-29, 12:33 PM
Now that I think of it I'm a little disappointed that "Conjurer of Cheap Tricks" was never the name of a prestige class

Not to be confused with the bardic prestige class "Conjurer or Cheap Trick" which specializes in 70s/80s soft rock

Cygnia
2022-05-29, 12:39 PM
Not to be confused with the bardic prestige class "Conjurer or Cheap Trick" which specializes in 70s/80s soft rock
And their bodyguard PRC, the Dream Police :smalltongue:

RSGA
2022-05-30, 07:51 AM
And the druid based variation, the Dog Police, which had some funky ways of keeping your identity secret.

Saintheart
2022-05-30, 08:29 AM
And the bard based variation, who were just The Police.

Crichton
2022-05-30, 08:48 AM
And the bard based variation, who were just The Police.

Don't forget their leader who has levels in Master of Masks and has perfected the art of being undercover so he can pull off Sting operations.

Mordante
2022-06-01, 03:18 AM
Do people use PrC names in game?

Does your character introduce himself as ...... (insert prestige class here)?

Zombimode
2022-06-01, 03:30 AM

There are some PRC names that correspond to in-universe organizations or titles.

"I'm a Purple Dragon Knight" is a meaningful phrase in the Forgotten Realms - although the speaker does not necessarily has to have levels in the PRC.

Mordante
2022-06-01, 03:43 AM
There are some PRC names that correspond to in-universe organizations or titles.

"I'm a Purple Dragon Knight" is a meaningful phrase in the Forgotten Realms - although the speaker does not necessarily has to have levels in the PRC.

Ah okay, I never play in any of the official settings. My Warlock/acolyte of the skin (homebrew version) mostly says when asked that she is a wielder of forbidden knowledge. My now retired level 16 druid said he was a defender of the balance and nature. My level 16 Fighter/Archblade just says he likes to hit things with his scimitar when needed and likes to drink.

Sometimes I don't even know exactly (in character or out character) what class my party members play.

loky1109
2022-06-01, 04:27 AM
My now retired level 16 druid said he was a defender of the balance and nature.

While it's true about druid, the word "druid" is a real existing in-game word that can describe your character. As like as "wizard".

Metastachydium
2022-06-01, 06:50 AM

But luckily enough, not all of them do. Just imagine someone going all "Hi, I'm Y'ýthae'rëx the Dread Necromancer Dread Witch Dread Pirate True Necromancer necromancer from the next village over, can I have an ale?" And then there are all those names (such as the aforementioned cerebremancer or psion uncarnate) that are basically screaming "I'm trying to sound smart but it's not really working".

Batcathat
2022-06-01, 06:52 AM
And then there are all those names (such as the aforementioned cerebremancer or psion uncarnate) that are basically screaming "I'm trying to sound smart but it's not really working".

To be fair, job titles like that are fairly common in real life too, so using them in-universe would be pretty realistic. :smalltongue:

Metastachydium
2022-06-01, 07:25 AM
To be fair, job titles like that are fairly common in real life too, so using them in-universe would be pretty realistic. :smalltongue:

Yeah, that is fair.

Wildstag
2022-06-01, 08:50 PM
Ah okay, I never play in any of the official settings. My Warlock/acolyte of the skin (homebrew version) mostly says when asked that she is a wielder of forbidden knowledge.

And then there are all those names (such as the aforementioned cerebremancer or psion uncarnate)

Yeah, sometimes you just go with shorthand irl (Trip Planner), but other times you want to specify for someone interested in following your path or if meeting professionals in similar fields (Outdoor Activities Programmer).

Like, I imagine a group of Rangers might meet up and say "Well I'm a Mystic Ranger" while another would say "I'm a Predator Ranger", and yet another would say "I'm an Arcane Hunter" (just to look at ACFs).

Or if a group of Wizards meet, they might introduce themselves to non-mages with their School, but among other mages might say "I'm an Osteomancer" or "I'm an Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil" or "I'm a Fatespinner"... When two people in the same field meet, they will introduce themselves as specifically as possible. That way they can scoff at each other for how little casting they learn relative to their chosen field.

smasher0404
2022-06-02, 02:46 AM
I think my vote for the stupidest prestige class name has to go to the Iaijutsu Master (Oriental Adventures).

In a vacuum, the name is absolutely fine, describes what the class is good at, perfectly usable as a name. Except, Oriental Adventures already uses the name for a Feat (which is honestly pretty good for a Iaijutsu Master-classed character to take).

So, a Iaijutsu Master might also be a Iaijutsu Master, but a Iaijutsu Master might also not be a Iaijutsu Master, a Iaijutsu Master might not be a Iaijutsu Master, and a person might not be either. And that is a perfectly valid set of 4 states.

And there isn't a lack of synonyms, one of them could have been called a Master Iaidoka (one who practices Iaijutsu) and that confusion wouldn't exist. The editors, playtesters, and writers all managed to miss the potential confusion regarding the name, even though they are contained in the same book.

Saintheart
2022-06-02, 04:01 AM
Except, Oriental Adventures already uses the name for a Feat (which is honestly pretty good for a Iaijutsu Master-classed character to take).

So, a Iaijutsu Master might also be a Iaijutsu Master, but a Iaijutsu Master might also not be a Iaijutsu Master, a Iaijutsu Master might not be a Iaijutsu Master, and a person might not be either. And that is a perfectly valid set of 4 states. .

If having Iaijutsu Master as an Iaijutsu Master bothers you, please don't open this old thread by me. (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?441237-Just-for-fun-The-Yo-Dawg-Thread-same-name-different-thing-can-get-both)

EDIT: Also, fun find: Dispassionate Watcher of Chronepsis.

Opposed by their mortal enemies, the Passionate Doers of Ellipsis.

Jervis
2022-06-05, 06:54 PM

It was a different time ok, that was before… wait

Also I control Fed this thread and the fact there’s no mention of Durthan surprises me.

Curbludgeon
2022-06-06, 03:35 AM
I haven't read the thread, but think a mageknight with the knightknight archetype and the magemage PrC sounds silly.

Azuresun
2022-06-09, 04:42 AM
Knightknight/Magemage is one of those characters I joke about playing every single time we start up a new game and one day I'll actually do it.

It sounds like something out of 8-Bit Theatre.

"That's four times the maximum amount of ranger the human body can hold!"

stack
2022-06-09, 09:58 AM
I haven't read the thread, but think a mageknight with the knightknight archetype and the magemage PrC sounds silly.

They (knightknight and magemage) were from an April fools expansion, so that is to be expected.

Kama Itachi
2022-06-14, 11:14 AM
I can't believe nobody has answered the Cancer Mage, from the Book of Vile Darkness. It's trying so hard to sound edgy that it comes out the other side as funny. Out of all of the evil things an evil mage can do to someone, both in combat and out, you build your entire professional identity on... Giving someone cancer. The mundane form of which takes years to decades to become noticeable at all. Good job, you strike one do-gooder with cancer, they kill you, and they die several years later. BOY HOW GREAT AT BEING EVIL AND KILLING PEOPLE YOU WERE.

(I know the cancer mage is named for the tumor familiar they get and it's actually a disease-focused prc, but the name isn't threatening at all.)

Batcathat
2022-06-14, 11:54 AM
I can't believe nobody has answered the Cancer Mage, from the Book of Vile Darkness. It's trying so hard to sound edgy that it comes out the other side as funny. Out of all of the evil things an evil mage can do to someone, both in combat and out, you build your entire professional identity on... Giving someone cancer. The mundane form of which takes years to decades to become noticeable at all. Good job, you strike one do-gooder with cancer, they kill you, and they die several years later. BOY HOW GREAT AT BEING EVIL AND KILLING PEOPLE YOU WERE.

(I know the cancer mage is named for the tumor familiar they get and it's actually a disease-focused prc, but the name isn't threatening at all.)

I actually kinda like the name cancer mage. On one hand, I agree it's pretty stupid, but on the other hand there's just something about it that appeals to me. Maybe it's just that it's so blunt and straight forward compared to the more flowery prestige class names.

Kurald Galain
2022-06-14, 11:59 AM
I can't believe nobody has answered the Cancer Mage

Is there also a Sagittarius Mage?

SimonMoon6
2022-06-14, 01:12 PM
Is there also a Sagittarius Mage?

I could imagine a "Thrall of Aries" that constantly gets confused with a class called "Thrall of Ares".

Cygnia
2022-06-14, 01:17 PM
~/o This is the dawning of the Mage of Aquarius...o/~

Jervis
2022-06-15, 05:32 PM
I could imagine a "Thrall of Aries" that constantly gets confused with a class called "Thrall of Ares".

~/o This is the dawning of the Mage of Aquarius...o/~

I’m imagining now a PrC called something like Gemini Psion that splits you into two creatures when you take it. I want to see a Davati take that class.

“What’s you sign baby?

“I’m a Gemini.”
“I’m a Gemini.”
“I’m a Gemini.”
“I’m a Pisces.”

Thurbane
2022-06-17, 02:37 AM
Not stupid in and of themselves, but as a WWE fan, I always found the fact that there are both Cerebral Assassin (https://web.archive.org/web/20151102155002/http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20030207b) and People's Champion (https://web.archive.org/web/20011119135430/http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/cg/cg20011024a) PrCs out there quite amusing. :smallbiggrin:

https://cdn3.whatculture.com/images/2016/05/a9f5acaa7e252d91-600x338.jpg

HHH was sometimes known as the Cerebreal Assassin, and the Rock was at one point known as The People's Champion

ben-zayb
2022-06-17, 10:27 AM
Not stupid in and of themselves, but as a WWE fan, I always found the fact that there are both Cerebral Assassin (https://web.archive.org/web/20151102155002/http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20030207b) and People's Champion (https://web.archive.org/web/20011119135430/http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/cg/cg20011024a) PrCs out there quite amusing. :smallbiggrin:

https://cdn3.whatculture.com/images/2016/05/a9f5acaa7e252d91-600x338.jpg

HHH was sometimes known as the Cerebreal Assassin, and the Rock was at one point known as The People's Champion

Cerebral Assassin article's author is named Mark Jindra. I'm pretty sure there's a wrestler with that name. That has to be intentional right?

Jay R
2022-06-17, 10:39 AM

Of course, those job titles are often not used in real life, except on company paperwork. Even when I have a specific job title, I don't generally use it. I never said, "I'm a Member of Scientific Staff" or "I'm a Senior Associate Actuary" when those were my job titles.

Also, I don't assume that the characters know a lot of the terminology that the players use. The characters don't know what BAB, saving throws, or experience points are.

Similarly, my Fighter / Ranger / Horizon Walker doesn't know what a "horizon walker" is. He just knows he is better at certain skills, and against certain foes. If he describes himself at all, he calls himself a Ranger.

My gnome illusionist / Master Specialist / Shadowcraft Mage calls himself a wizard when he identifies a class at all. He considers himself an illusionist, but doesn't choose to advertise the fact that his spells will have less effect if you disbelieve them. Also, he doesn't know what a Master Specialist or a Shadowcraft Mage is; he just started focusing a lot on illusions, and then later on shadow illusions.

My Sorcerer / Wizard / Ultimate Magus / Incantator just thinks of himself as a pixie who loves magic, and is really good with metamagic. If pressed, he would admit to being a sorcerer, since that's most normal for a pixie, and what he started as, but (as befits a character who is almost always invisible), he doesn't advertise his abilities.

Some Prestige Classes involve being a part of a group, and must use a specific name, but when possible, I assume that the class is just the unnamed path that a character chose to study.

In the real world, I am a Ph.D. in Operations Research, with Master's degrees in statistics and managerial studies, some actuarial credentials, minor theatrical experience, two summers as a Philmont Ranger, and some credentials in teaching Renaissance rapier fencing. But I don't say that when I enter a bar for a drink. I usually just say, "Hi, I'm Jay." Even in the classroom, I'm just known as Dr. R____.

The solution to many issues of silly Prestige Class names is to assume that the PCs don't have the rulebooks.

daremetoidareyo
2022-06-17, 11:16 AM
We aren’t solving the problem of dumb names, we’re talking smack on designers thought process

Kurald Galain
2022-06-17, 11:21 AM
I never said, "I'm a Member of Scientific Staff" or "I'm a Senior Associate Actuary" when those were my job titles.
Lots of people do, in fact, use their job titles all the time; in particular any people that frequently interact with customers, or patients, or other companies; basically with anyone who's not a coworker.

Aside from that, wearing a wizard hat, emblazoned shield, or ornate holy symbol is pretty much showing your job title to everyone around, all the time.

Cygnia
2022-06-17, 12:09 PM
Cerebral Assassin article's author is named Mark Jindra. I'm pretty sure there's a wrestler with that name. That has to be intentional right?

Mark Jindrak, if I remember correctly.

Zombimode
2022-06-17, 12:09 PM
"I'm a Member of Scientific Staff"

Hm.... you know, that isn't too far away from "Mage of the Arcane Order" :smalltongue:

ben-zayb
2022-06-17, 12:50 PM
Mark Jindrak, if I remember correctly.
I checked and you're right. Soooo close.