PDA

View Full Version : Awesomest Prestige Class Names

Particle_Man
2022-05-25, 11:51 PM
A positive contrast to the other thread:

I like the title “Master of Nine” - it seems flavourful and mysterious. “Disciple of the Eye” also works for that.

“Archmage” is pretty good too. If someone has made it that far you deserve some gravitas in your class name.

“Eternal Blade” sounds great.

So, independent from their power, what prestige class names do you think are cool, great and/or awesome?

Silva Stormrage
2022-05-26, 12:25 AM
Huh I like this concept.

Horned Harbinger, Thrallherd, Walker in the Waste, Fate Spinner are all ones I personally like when I think about PRCs. They are all evocative and sound like titles a particular scary or important unique individual might have. Basically if you can add a "The" in front of the name of the PRC and it sounds like you don't really want to casually mess with that character it has a good name.

I might come back to this after I have thought for a bit more :smallbiggrin:

Saintheart
2022-05-26, 12:36 AM
Dragonslayer.

It might not be very good at doing the role it's named for, but there's few more inspiring titles, and few better names for a thrash metal band.

Malphegor
2022-05-26, 02:22 AM
I think there’s a fundamental elegance of form in the name RAGE MAGE. It sounds almost like one could have that be a magically empowered rage wizard’s superhero name

noce
2022-05-26, 03:04 AM
Hammer of Moradin is cool, and bonus points for having the same name of the elite order you belong to if you have levels in it, so that you can use your PrC name in character without sounding silly (things like saying "I am a rogue" or "I'm a Shadowdancer" in character are a big NO in our games, it's a thing no real person would say about themselves).
Additional bonus points for having a name that clearly states your general affiliation to a dwarven religious order even to NPCs not familiar with the order itself.

Telonius
2022-05-26, 08:42 AM
In no particular order:

Dread Pirate
Beastmaster
Cragtop Archer
Horizon Walker
Warforged Juggernaut
Mindbender
Spymaster

Saintheart
2022-05-26, 08:43 AM
In no particular order:

Dread Pirate

This is the one prestige class we were aiming for when we created characters named Westley Cummerbund Roberts.

Biggus
2022-05-26, 09:16 AM
Huh I like this concept.

Yeah I thought that, it's nice to have a positive thread sometimes.

Dread Pirate
Beastmaster

I'm getting that you're a fan of 80s fantasy films...

------------------

As for my favorites:

blood magus
deepwood sniper
dragon ascendant
runescarred berserker
stormtalon
void disciple
sapphire hierarch

I also like cosmic descryer and nosomatic chirurgeon, both of which appeared on people's "stupidest" lists, although in the latter case apparently it helps that I wasn't taught Latin at school...

Tzardok
2022-05-26, 09:55 AM
I like the trifecta of body manipulation mages:

Osteomancer;
Flux Adept; and
Ceberex.

Also, let me second the Rage Mage. That name is just great. There should be a lot more rhyming names.

Telonius
2022-05-26, 10:37 AM
I'm getting that you're a fan of 80s fantasy films...

And 80s cartoons (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Mindbender).

And 80s fantasy cartoon movies. (Avatar Schmendrick there) :smallbiggrin:

Metastachydium
2022-05-26, 12:24 PM
Osteomancer;
Flux Adept; and
Ceberex.

Yuck, no.

Rage Mage. That name is just great. There should be a lot more rhyming names.

Yuck, no!

Personally, I'd go for
Hierophant;
Lord of Tides;
Dawncaller;
Tempest;
Cloud Anchorite;
Iron Mind;
Primeval;
Acolyte of the Skin (yes, really);
Holt Warden;
Master of Shrouds;
Fatemaker;
Skypledged;
Ravager;
Hellreaver;
Stormcaster;
Wavekeeper and the like.

Wonton64
2022-05-26, 12:30 PM
Astral/Sword/Shadowdancer
Dirgesinger
Dread Pirate
Malconvoker
Spellcarved Soldier
Walker in the Wastes
Leviathan Hunter
Runescarred Berserker

Wildstag
2022-05-26, 12:33 PM
I think Osteomancer just sounds cool, if a tad bit anachronistic (but when did that stop any of the game design).

Warshaper and Ordained Champion sound cool to me. Primeval is also a fun prestige class name, as is Invisible Blade. Swiftblade is also a fun name.

Also a good one from Dragon is Infused. It just sounds cool, even if its abilities aren't really equally good. In a similar vein is the Tainted.

Thrice Dead Cat
2022-05-26, 12:37 PM
I have to agree that RAGE MAGE and Archmage are both great names. I feel like if Rage Mage had been released later in 3.X, it probably would have used some sort of wild magic table as part of its class features.

I've always liked Spellguard of Silverymoon and Renegade Mastermaker. Like Hammer of Moradin, Spellguard is both a prestige class name and title a character would reasonably use in-game to describe themselves and others. Renegade Mastermaker doesn't have the same organizational ties to it, but it certainly is ballsy and fits, given that it starts with you replacing your arm and ends with you turning yourself (mostly) into a Warforged.

Elenian
2022-05-26, 12:56 PM
I'm a fan of 'Wearer of Purple' (and, honestly, purple things in general)
'Scion of Dantalion' has an interesting ring to it.
'Bereft' is awesome. The class is... not.

'Sapphire Heirarch', 'Topaz Guardian', 'Ruby Knight Vindicator'... Wait. Why are there so many gemstone prcs?

Tzardok
2022-05-26, 01:02 PM
Because gems have lots of connotation in-game and out-of-game, many of the mystical. Incidentally, there's the Diamond Mind prestige class.

By the way, where's the Wearer of Purple from?

Telonius
2022-05-26, 01:16 PM
I'm a fan of 'Wearer of Purple' (and, honestly, purple things in general)
'Scion of Dantalion' has an interesting ring to it.
'Bereft' is awesome. The class is... not.

'Sapphire Heirarch', 'Topaz Guardian', 'Ruby Knight Vindicator'... Wait. Why are there so many gemstone prcs?

So a DM can have a Steven Universe-themed one-shot, of course.

Wonton64
2022-05-26, 01:17 PM
By the way, where's the Wearer of Purple from?

Faiths & Pantheons, I believe.

loky1109
2022-05-26, 01:35 PM
Faiths & Pantheons, I believe.

Updated to 3.5 in Dragons of Faerûn.

Thrice Dead Cat
2022-05-26, 03:59 PM

RVK and Eternal Blade both reminded me that almost all of the ToB PrC names are amazing. Bloodstorm Blade and Bloodclaw Master are both incredibly metal. Deepstone Sentinel is too, honestly. Jade Phoenix Mage hits all the marks for me. Master of Nine was already mentioned by others. Really, the only one that doesn't work for me is Shadow Sun Ninja.

So a DM can have a Steven Universe-themed one-shot, of course.

If you're going that route, there's also the Crystal Master from an old Mind's Eye article!

Saintheart
2022-05-26, 09:30 PM
RVK and Eternal Blade both reminded me that almost all of the ToB PrC names are amazing. Bloodstorm Blade and Bloodclaw Master are both incredibly metal. Deepstone Sentinel is too, honestly. Jade Phoenix Mage hits all the marks for me. Master of Nine was already mentioned by others. Really, the only one that doesn't work for me is Shadow Sun Ninja.

Even the base class names are nice. Swordsage and Crusader are okay, but Warblade just sounds like Warbird and is just made of awesome.

Dimers
2022-05-27, 12:28 AM
I like the way "Sublime Chord" sounds. "Initiate of the Seven Veils" is pretty cool too, though I'm not sure if I only think that because I know it ties in with the seven prismatic effects.

noce
2022-05-27, 01:51 AM
I also like Knight of the Weave.
There's a lot of knight PrCs, but few are so precise and concise in describing what your motives are.
Plus, the Weave in Faerun is like the most honourable thing to fight for, so a knight devoting to it sounds perfectly appropriate.

Cortillaen
2022-05-28, 01:39 AM
Anima Mage always makes me think of some kind of soul-manipulating necromancer. I guess it sort of is from a certain perspective.
Hierophant just sets off all my "old-school hero" senses, in addition to simply being fun to say. Plus it can get a power called Blast Infidel, and who doesn't want that?.
Warshaper makes me think of a Zhuge Liang or Sun Tzu style strategist who just ruins entire battles before they even begin.
Celestial Mystic is just simply cool. And the capstone fits it so well despite being pretty weak: it basically turns up the world's saturation level around you, so everything just IS more than usual.
I expected more fire from Fist of Raziel, but I got exactly as much smiting as expected.
Doomguide. What do you even expect from something with that title?
Maiden of Pain for just being metal as hell.
Stormlord. 'Nuf said.
Cataclysm Mage sounds like a blast to be around.

Honorable mention to one of my own PF1 homebrews, Aoristian Sage. It might be the only thing I've ever named without second thoughts or regrets.

ben-zayb
2022-05-28, 06:01 PM
Temple Raider of Olidammara: I'm getting Indiana Jones vibes with the name. Also, just the idea of a scoundrel raiding godly places on behalf of a scoundrel god

Shadowbane Inquisitor: It's the PrC name that makes me think of Javert or someone that evil people should run away from fast.

Master of the Unseen Hand: Of course. This is the master of, "Look Ma, no hands."

Rage Mage, Escalation Mage, Havoc Mage, Cataclysm Mage: "_ mage" PrC names that evoke the image of a spellcaster who rains chaos and destruction? Awesome.

Entropomancer, Noctumancer, Cerebremancer: I'm fully onboard with these more unusual whatevermancers.