PDA

View Full Version : Utilizing tortle AC for unorthodox builds

Spacehamster
2022-05-26, 09:49 AM
So we have heard of monkbarian tortles, how about the monkclericlock?!
So with Tasha’s flexible ability score increases you pick 2 DEX 1 WIS, standard array 10/17/14/8/13/13, first 5 levels take Kensei, 6th in cleric(arcana or knowledge perhaps) 7th & 8th hexblade, remaining ones in Kensei.
ASI 4th level: skill expert, slasher or piercer your choice to shore up your DEX
ASI 11th level Max DEX
ASI 15th level some half feat to shore up WIS perhaps?
ASI 19th whatever you like since you will most likely not get there anyways.

Loose: Stunning strike saves will be laughable so use just for flurry and other shenanigans, an ASI + slower monk progress, feat progress 2-4 becomes heavily delayed.
Gain: 2 long rest slots(shield of faith/bless), 3 cleric cantrip(2 wizard on top if arcana cleric), 2 short rest slots, 2 warlock cantrips, 2 invocations and all the hexblade goodies including shield spell.

Thoughts?

Skrum
2022-05-26, 11:15 PM
Why would you put points in Dex as a tortle? That's a lot of their benefit, that they can dump Dex. Monks aren't obligated to use dex. Str is fine for them.

But you're also apparently taking hexblade....? You should be prioritizing Cha and Con.

I'm honestly not really seeing the synergy here.

Spacehamster
2022-05-27, 12:53 AM
Why would you put points in Dex as a tortle? That's a lot of their benefit, that they can dump Dex. Monks aren't obligated to use dex. Str is fine for them.

But you're also apparently taking hexblade....? You should be prioritizing Cha and Con.

I'm honestly not really seeing the synergy here.

Why DEX instead of STR? Cus none of the classes in the build use STR and all classes in the game can make use of a high DEX. And why take high CHA for the dip class? The synergy is tons of more damage than a normal Kensei would get and tons more utility from cantrips and low level spells and pretty darn good ACA while only needing one ability score high(DEX)

Pixel_Kitsune
2022-05-27, 01:49 AM
Why DEX instead of STR? Cus none of the classes in the build use STR and all classes in the game can make use of a high DEX. And why take high CHA for the dip class? The synergy is tons of more damage than a normal Kensei would get and tons more utility from cantrips and low level spells and pretty darn good ACA while only needing one ability score high(DEX)

I still don't see the point to Dex, or to Monk in general. Why not put the Charisma at 17, dump dex and push Wisdom to starting at 14? Just go pure Hexblade Cleric. You lose out on 1 or 2 bonus action attacks that won't do all that much damage. It's not like you were planning on using Hex to make sure those Bonus Action attacks did more, since you referenced having Bless or Shield of Faith up.

Honestly, if the build makes you happy, go for it, I've played weird stuff for RP reasons that makes no sense mechanically. But I just don't really get it.

Chronos
2022-05-27, 05:39 AM
Why DEX instead of STR? Cus none of the classes in the build use STR and all classes in the game can make use of a high DEX.
All classes in the game can make use of a high Dex, largely because Dex gives armor class. Or at least it can, if you're not wearing heavy armor and not a Tortle.

XmonkTad
2022-05-27, 01:29 PM
All classes in the game can make use of a high Dex, largely because Dex gives armor class. Or at least it can, if you're not wearing heavy armor and not a Tortle.

This is exactly right. High dex is perfect for initiative, and people who can add it to AC. For the Tortle, it's missing half of that. Otherwise, it means using ranged weapons or finesse weapons, and only being able to escape rather than initiate grapples. I will grant dexterity skills are > strength skill.

If AC synergy is the goal, why not Bladesinger Tortle?

Spacehamster
2022-05-28, 02:42 AM
This is exactly right. High dex is perfect for initiative, and people who can add it to AC. For the Tortle, it's missing half of that. Otherwise, it means using ranged weapons or finesse weapons, and only being able to escape rather than initiate grapples. I will grant dexterity skills are > strength skill.

If AC synergy is the goal, why not Bladesinger Tortle?

Is not bladesinger elf only?

Pixel_Kitsune
2022-05-28, 03:05 AM
Is not bladesinger elf only?

Not since Tasha's. It's now a tradition that started with Elves but ultimately can be learned by others. Which makes sense. All it takes is one Bladesinger to decide to teach non-elves and at least one of their students to survive and continue the tradition.

Spacehamster
2022-05-28, 03:16 AM
Not since Tasha's. It's now a tradition that started with Elves but ultimately can be learned by others. Which makes sense. All it takes is one Bladesinger to decide to teach non-elves and at least one of their students to survive and continue the tradition.

Cool, always only remember custom heritage and flexible ability scores about that book, had forgotten that part. :)