PDA

View Full Version : How would you build Netflix Castlevania's Isaac and Hector?

Agrippa
2022-05-26, 06:08 PM
Isaac (https://castlevania.fandom.com/wiki/Isaac_(animated_series)) and Hector (https://castlevania.fandom.com/wiki/Hector_(animated_series)) are pair of Forgemasters, formerly under the employ of Dracula, individuals who, in the animated series continuity, can reforge dead bodies into living creatures inhabited by the souls of the dead/damned, albeit they both require a personally made tool for this work. While this covers their basic similarities the duo does have their differences.

Isaac

Wields a dagger as an animating tool and weapon
The night creatures Isaac creates are animated within seconds of the corpse, or living victim, being stabbed with Isaac's dagger
Can create a wide array of night creatures from human corpses
Capable combatant with a spiked belt and his forging dagger
Can bypass magical wards and nullify mind control attempts on himself, but must use his dagger as a focus

Hector

Forges his night creatures by striking a metal surface underneath the corpse with his forge hammer
The corpses he uses must be completely intact, often times requiring him to stitch them back together
Unlike Isaac, Hector is not combat capable
Hector can create a forcecage effect, which he likely setup as a trap over the course of a few months by building the forcecage trap in the room

Spheres of Power is allowed in this thread.

Analytica
2022-05-26, 06:26 PM
Seeing Isaac animate hundreds of beings in sequence makes me think some kind of custom Dark invocation for a warlock, or even a martial maneuver.

StSword
2022-05-27, 03:32 AM
Samurai Sheepdog took some liberties when they made a Forgemaster for Pathfinder, but they made it a summon monster effect combined with Alchemist Extracts whose special effects were changed from chemical concoctions to physical mutations.

Eldan
2022-05-27, 04:37 AM
I'm thinking they are closest to a artificers. They are essentially building magic items that cast various demon calling spells for them.

I'd say what they actually have in the end is a custom-made magic item. It casts something like Planar Binding, binding a random demon, requiring intact corpses as material components. Sewing the corpses together is just preparing the material components.

Isaac's Dagger just seems to act like a mix of focus and holy symbol for his magic.

Agrippa
2022-05-30, 12:10 AM
While I do appreciate all the efforts at giving me build idea for Hector and Isaac, I'm not sure the suggestions would work for me. The artificer-based ideas come kind of close, but not enough for me. As for Samurai Sheepdog's Forgemaster class, StSword, you haven't what book it could be found in. Honestly speaking, Spheres of Power might be a good option. I'm not quite sure what else to say for right now.

liquidformat
2022-05-30, 01:41 AM
So Isaac seems like a gish, either wizard or sorc gish either seems like a decent idea that uses a dagger that is an item familiar to deliver fell animate touch spells.

I am not as sure with Hector I suppose you could just have him be an artificer who crafts flesh golems. The 'undead' he makes seem to fit pretty well for flesh golems anyways.

Nizaris
2022-05-30, 09:30 AM
Since Hector doesn't do instant transformation he's the easier one to sort out using Spheres of Power. Since I don't recall him using his magic in combat, give him the Necromantic Limit to remove Ghost Touch and Extended Casting plus Focus Casting to max out bonus spell points. Class-wise, Wizard or Incanter for the sphere focus and bonus caster level. Put all your talents into Death and Alteration, take everything you can to increase the strength of the undead you create and make sure to pick up Permanent Undead and Greater Reanimate x2. That will allow you to field a decent sized army of undead, to make them demonic we use Alteration. Outsider body will let you make them look more like Demons and pick which other features you want to give them and make permanent with Permanent Transformation. It eats a lot of spell points, but making an army takes time and it'll allow you to build a more flexible army than just using undead from Death. The other things he does can be magic item crafting plus a contingency and if you want a little flexibility when it comes to the Alteration talents, you can dip an Arcanist level for a Moldable talent you can change with Quick Study. Since Permanent Transformation will make them instantaneous effects you don't have to worry about losing it once you change it to something else.

Isaac, does the exact same things just a whole lot faster, plus gish, he's fairly OP and at the speed he does it I'm not sure how he does it, maybe a custom spell that he's casting with his dagger that does the same thing?