PDA

View Full Version : Making cleric spells arcane without casting them?

Particle_Man
2022-05-26, 08:39 PM
Initiate of Io let’s one’s cleric level count as a sorcerer level for the purpose of getting dragonblooded feats.

Some dragonblooded feats let one drop an arcane spell slot to have something happen, like dragonic breath.

I understand that geomancer or southern magician let one cast cleric spells as arcane spells but what about using cleric spell slots as arcane spell slots?

Saintheart
2022-05-26, 09:24 PM
Sword of the Arcane Order? Although you're really using the lack of guidance in the feat's wording for these purposes. It allows you to prepare arcane spells in the paladin or ranger's divine slots, although it doesn't say whether the spells cast from those slots are then cast as arcane spells or divine ones.

Particle_Man
2022-05-26, 10:04 PM
Alas, it would not mesh well with initiate of io since that one uses cleric levels specifically.

MaxiDuRaritry
2022-05-26, 10:10 PM
Generally speaking, true dragons (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/dragonTrue.htm) can cast cleric spells as arcane spells if they add them to their sorcerer spells known.

Dragons with the Child of Eberron archetype can do the same with druid spells, some of which are also on the cleric spell list.

Bards (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/bard.htm) have several cleric spells on their spell list, and they're arcane casters.

Wyrm wizard can choose cleric spells to add to their spell list.

Extra Spell can add a cleric spell to an arcane list, unless your DM houserules otherwise. Nothing in the feat even suggests that you're limited to your own list, after all.

Saintheart
2022-05-26, 11:13 PM
For completeness - Alternative Source Spell, from Dragon Magazine...

Particle_Man
2022-05-26, 11:37 PM
For completeness - Alternative Source Spell, from Dragon Magazine...

That could work with a cleric! I mean I would also need at least one level in a class that grants arcane spells. Or maybe if I take both this and Southern Magician? Then I *think* I could with those two feats plus Initiate of Io, be a single classed cleric that could also drop prepared arcane cleric spells to power certain draconic feats, albeit at the cost of a caster level for the prepared arcane spells that are actually cast as arcane spells (I guess practiced spellcaster could get around that).

So thanks all!

Huh, I wonder if this also lets one get more benefit out of the prestige class Geomancer?

Saintheart
2022-05-27, 12:27 AM
That could work with a cleric! I mean I would also need at least one level in a class that grants arcane spells.

Sha'ir 1. Capable of casting arcane and divine spells without knowing them. And Alternative Source Spell only requires that you can cast arcane and divine spells, not that you have a settled list of them.