PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Does anyone know this Worldbuilding Game

SangoProduction
2022-05-27, 03:10 AM
(nix 50,000 page background)

So, the players will be acting as gods in the new world, and offering a guiding hand to their respective chosen peoples, from whom the next campaigns' characters will be. Truly, the Session -1.

I know there is a world building game that is similar to this, but cannot for the life of me remember what it it was called or how to look for it. If anyone knows what I'm talking about, I'd love to know, because right now, I'm kinda just making it up as I go along, influenced by the memories of that game.

God stats (what they encourage): Thought, Faith, Strength, Flexibility, Honesty. Ranges from 0-4, with 0 being highly discouraged, 2 being neutral, and 4 being highly encouraged. All start at 2, with an additional 2 points to spend increasing stats, and able to lower one stat to raise another by an equal amount.
The related god stat is added to rolls the civilization needs to make.

Civ stats (How the civilization is): Size, Territory, Military, Wealth. All start at 0, except one which can start at 1. The Size of the civilization may not be larger than Territory.
Size is the numbers of the civilization. A 0 represents a very small tribe. Bountiful yields increase this, while wars, famine, and disease decrease this. Cannot drop below 0.
Territory is the amount of land directly controlled. A 0 represents an at least near-nomadic tribe whose claims to territory are tenuous and unenforceable. Proper settling and conquest can increase this, while disasters and conquest can decrease it.
Each point of territory has the civilization occupy a hex on the map.
Military represents the civilization's ability to fight, over and about their raw numbers. A 0 Military represents a civ that hasn't devoted resources to combat. Can rise by gaining discoveries, finding resources in your territory, or spending wealth on improvements. Losing resources can reduce it.
Wealth: Represents the degree of wealth the civilization has control over, whether gold, grain, or something more exotic. Increases and decreases regularly.

Phases:
0 - Fluffing. A reminder to give life and description to the gods and chosen peoples. And a friendly reminder that bad things happening isn't always bad for the world you're building.
1 - World Shaping. The gods give form and purpose to the lands. Each player is given a portion of the world, and roll twice on the World Shaping table, selecting which ever result is preferred each round for 6 rounds. Gods can only control their portion of the map.
2 - Settling. The respective civilizations come in. For the event stages, roll twice on the Early Settlement table, selecting the preferred result each round for 4 rounds. Then repeat for the Middle Settlement for 2 rounds. And finally roll twice on the Late Settlement for table for 1 round selecting any combination of the results. Gods can only influence their portion of the map.
3 - Outwards. The insolated communities find the world to get more hostile. Gods only roll once per event, but may make up to 2 rerolls this phase. They may also redirect one event to another civilization. Actions and events are no longer limited to the initially controlled portions of the map. Ends after 8 rounds.

Round layout:
Action - Pick one from the actions available Each phase has their own set of actions.
Event - Rolled randomly, with some control.
Malice - Once everyone has completed their round during the Outwards phase, each rolls once. The total roll determines the malice the world encounters.

pabelfly
2022-05-27, 04:41 AM
I learnt about Microscope off these boards about a month ago. Was that what you were thinking of?

SangoProduction
2022-05-27, 02:53 PM
I learnt about Microscope off these boards about a month ago. Was that what you were thinking of?

Based on the limited research I've done, I don't think it is.

Dalmosh
2022-05-27, 07:43 PM
Dawn of Worlds is close to what you are describing. It is a pen and paper collaborative mapping game, in which the players are Gods with the ability to raise geographical features and races in the world, and intercede directly through a divine avatar. As a God you can spend your turn blessing and corrupting things, causing miracles and catastrophes, and commanding your followers. It's at least a useful framework to start from, but is likely too rules light to get all the way there. The 1st edition version of it I have was produced for free distribution as a google-able online document.

I've never used it to make an RPG campaign, but it has some potential in this space. Things can get gonzo really quickly if everyone at the table doesn't have a pretty clearly defined vision of what they are trying to generate, or your players will predictably do things like make giant cubes of cheese the size of mountains, or races of sentient toothbrushes. Its quite fun as a shorter term one-shot game in its own right anyway.

SangoProduction
2022-05-27, 08:32 PM
I do believe I've actually used that one before. And indeed, I think at least half of these ideas came from it.
But the one I'm trying to find has rolled tables of events.
It's slightly more structured than Dawn of Worlds.

PattThe
2022-05-27, 08:52 PM
Aside from the "assign terrain values to a d20 table and fill a rectangular tray with rolled d20" world building method (funny concept) I once had a VC with random ppl I never spoke with again and we all did unhinged world building that mostly will never be used. I uploaded an undesigned part of my world map and we took turns spending points to add functions to the world. Very silly. But I used some elements from that session and somewhere I still have the MS paint document or whatever we used on the call. I remember sure there might have been some system one of them got offline- that or we totally made up the rules.

Analytica
2022-05-28, 09:54 AM
(nix 50,000 page background)

So, the players will be acting as gods in the new world, and offering a guiding hand to their respective chosen peoples, from whom the next campaigns' characters will be. Truly, the Session -1.

I know there is a world building game that is similar to this, but cannot for the life of me remember what it it was called or how to look for it. If anyone knows what I'm talking about, I'd love to know, because right now, I'm kinda just making it up as I go along, influenced by the memories of that game.

God stats (what they encourage): Thought, Faith, Strength, Flexibility, Honesty. Ranges from 0-4, with 0 being highly discouraged, 2 being neutral, and 4 being highly encouraged. All start at 2, with an additional 2 points to spend increasing stats, and able to lower one stat to raise another by an equal amount.
The related god stat is added to rolls the civilization needs to make.

Civ stats (How the civilization is): Size, Territory, Military, Wealth. All start at 0, except one which can start at 1. The Size of the civilization may not be larger than Territory.
Size is the numbers of the civilization. A 0 represents a very small tribe. Bountiful yields increase this, while wars, famine, and disease decrease this. Cannot drop below 0.
Territory is the amount of land directly controlled. A 0 represents an at least near-nomadic tribe whose claims to territory are tenuous and unenforceable. Proper settling and conquest can increase this, while disasters and conquest can decrease it.
Each point of territory has the civilization occupy a hex on the map.
Military represents the civilization's ability to fight, over and about their raw numbers. A 0 Military represents a civ that hasn't devoted resources to combat. Can rise by gaining discoveries, finding resources in your territory, or spending wealth on improvements. Losing resources can reduce it.
Wealth: Represents the degree of wealth the civilization has control over, whether gold, grain, or something more exotic. Increases and decreases regularly.

Phases:
0 - Fluffing. A reminder to give life and description to the gods and chosen peoples. And a friendly reminder that bad things happening isn't always bad for the world you're building.
1 - World Shaping. The gods give form and purpose to the lands. Each player is given a portion of the world, and roll twice on the World Shaping table, selecting which ever result is preferred each round for 6 rounds. Gods can only control their portion of the map.
2 - Settling. The respective civilizations come in. For the event stages, roll twice on the Early Settlement table, selecting the preferred result each round for 4 rounds. Then repeat for the Middle Settlement for 2 rounds. And finally roll twice on the Late Settlement for table for 1 round selecting any combination of the results. Gods can only influence their portion of the map.
3 - Outwards. The insolated communities find the world to get more hostile. Gods only roll once per event, but may make up to 2 rerolls this phase. They may also redirect one event to another civilization. Actions and events are no longer limited to the initially controlled portions of the map. Ends after 8 rounds.

Round layout:
Action - Pick one from the actions available Each phase has their own set of actions.
Event - Rolled randomly, with some control.
Malice - Once everyone has completed their round during the Outwards phase, each rolls once. The total roll determines the malice the world encounters.

It's not what you are asking, but this is sort of what the various in-setting games in Homestuck (SBURB etc.) are supposed to be, in late game stage, no?

Thane of Fife
2022-06-01, 07:01 PM
I do believe I've actually used that one before. And indeed, I think at least half of these ideas came from it.
But the one I'm trying to find has rolled tables of events.
It's slightly more structured than Dawn of Worlds.

There's a game called Our Pantheon that is basically Dawn of Worlds with a random events phase. Maybe that's what you're thinking of?

SangoProduction
2022-06-01, 08:49 PM
Actually, I think that's basically the one. Thanks so much.
Eh. Close enough.