PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Using and maximizing Grave Cleric Path to the Grave

MisterD
2022-05-27, 08:03 PM
I have read a few online posts about people making Nova Damage builds using Grave Cleric Path to the Grave on targets hit with Crits or high damage single attack since then next attack after the ability provides vulnerability.

I would like to make a character (Optimized for Adventurer League so level optimized for level 4/10/17/20) that is selfish in his/her use of Path to the Grave

Looking for Race/Stats/Class (level progression) feats and other useful things.

Thinking
Fighter for Action Surge - (Use Path to the Grave then surge then attack)
Sorcerer for quicken an attack spell as a bonus action after marking a target with Path to the Grave
If only have one attack per action get Scimitar of Speed = Make an attack as a bonus action
There are just thoughts. do not need to use all thre.

Basically character concept is he/she is looking for revenge on person who killed someone important to character. Character knows he needs to hone his/her skills if he want to get his/her revenge ( hence reason for adventuring) and the person he/she wants revenge on is very, very, very, good so needs to take out with hirst strike to take him out or at least weaken him so character does not die before taking out the target of his/her revenge if that helps

strangebloke
2022-05-27, 08:14 PM
The really straightforward method here is Path to the Grave + spiritual weapon. At 7th level you can upcast spiritual weapon for 4d8=18 then multiple that times 2 for 36 damage. Not earth shattering, but its as good as you'll get without multiclassing or crits.

with multiclassing, things get really janky really quickly. Theoretically you can make some king of absurd assassin/fighter/grave cleric bugbear build. Get surprise (so free crits from assassin) then use PTTG, then action surge, then use Aim as a BA, then shoot them. At 9th (assassin 5, fighter 2, grave cleric 2) level this is something like (2d8+10d6+4)*2=96 if you hit. I don't think this is good, but it will work at least occasionally.

5eNeedsDarksun
2022-05-27, 08:49 PM
I have a character like this at the moment (GCleric 2/ Assassin X), but a lot of the mechanics are table dependent, so not something I'd bring to AL. How a DM handles stealth, initiative, surprise, and whether or not use of Path to the Grave (pointing a finger) messes up or triggers any of the previous items can be deal breakers.
Something like a scimitar of speed is definitely a lot more clear cut in terms of mechanics if you can get one. Rogue levels for sneak attack dice + booming blade + some sort of smite spell + something like fury of the small + ... are the sort of thing you're looking for though. Anything that makes a single horrible attack more horrible before you double it is the key.

solidork
2022-05-27, 10:16 PM
The simplest way to do this would to just Ready Path to the Grave so it goes off before your next turn, then hit them with an Inflict Wounds.

DarknessEternal
2022-05-28, 10:12 AM
The simplest way to do this would to just Ready Path to the Grave so it goes off before your next turn, then hit them with an Inflict Wounds.

I'd say the simplest way to do this is have someone else in your party make the big attack. Since this takes an action, you're jumping through too many hoops to make it your attack. Synergize with your group and don't dilute your own power.

solidork
2022-05-28, 12:35 PM
I'd say the simplest way to do this is have someone else in your party make the big attack. Since this takes an action, you're jumping through too many hoops to make it your attack. Synergize with your group and don't dilute your own power.

Well, yeah, obviously. Even then though, you're probably readying it so it goes off right before your Paladin or Rogue, or whoever your heavy hitter is. But if for whatever reason you want to be the one who does it, you can do it without doing weird multiclassing stuff.

Mastikator
2022-05-28, 12:46 PM
Empowered disintegrate should do the trick. I'd add heighten to give the target disadvantage on their dexterity saving throw, since it does no damage on a successful save.

stoutstien
2022-05-28, 12:53 PM
Empowered disintegrate should do the trick. I'd add heighten to give the target disadvantage on their dexterity saving throw, since it does no damage on a successful save.

Path of grave needs an attack roll unfortunately.

Speely
2022-05-28, 01:30 PM
I appreciate the intent of this build idea, but it's a hard sell since giving PttG to a Paladin or Rogue is always going to be better. I've considered a similar build but never committed.

If you are sold on it, I would lean into the somewhat awkward Sorcerer/Cleric quicken spell route and just bonus action chaos bolt or ice knife at lower levels and pick the highest damage sorcerer spells as you level (or upcast chaos bolt, which is more likely due to multiclassing.)

The problem here is that you gotta go cleric level 6 to get 2 CDs per rest (which this build def wants.) That means that your sorcerer levels will lag far behind and the quickened spells you are doubling will be not as great. That said, you will be able to upcast those spells since you will have the same slots available as a single-class caster, so that helps.

For race, I would go Custom Lineage and snag Fey Touched to boost Cha to 18. For sorc subclass I would choose Divine Soul. I suggest both of these choices because you REALLY don't want to miss after spending a CD to set up a mega-hit. A higher attack bonus and the 2d4 from Favored by the Gods will help that a lot.

Whatever you choose, have fun and let us know how it shakes out! As someone who has considered a build like this, I am certainly curious.

Edit: this approach doesn't come online until level 6 at the earliest (if you go 3/3) and isn't fully formed until level 9, but it's hard to make a tier 1 build for this concept.

MisterD
2022-07-04, 05:22 PM
Thought Pure Cleric with Meta Adept.
Mark target with path to the grave and then quicken Inflict wounds at max level.