PDA

View Full Version : "Magical" barbarian

Rashagar
2022-05-28, 10:45 AM
Hi all,

So, thanks in part to the multiclass thread, I've been thinking recently about how to pack as many magical effects as possible onto a barbarian. Specifically ones they can make use of while raging, either through multiclassing or via feats. The natural subclass for this sort of flavour would be wild magic barbarians, but any kind of barbarian is fine.

For example, I often see Absorb Elements touted as being a great spell, while Gift of the Chromatic Dragon has been generally thought of as a not-great feat. But (non-bear) barbarians can feel kind of squishy as soon as elemental damage comes into the fray, so having a non-spell version of Absorb Elements they can use while raging could feel valuable, especially since it comes with a small damage bonus you can apply if you ever get a round to prepare before a combat (which might not usually be a round that most barbarians can make use of).

Eg2. Cleric's channel divinity, though I haven't gone through looking for what ones might be of value for a 2 level dip.

Has anyone tried making this kind of character before? And/or does anything come to mind for it?

kazaryu
2022-05-28, 10:52 AM
Hi all,

So, thanks in part to the multiclass thread, I've been thinking recently about how to pack as many magical effects as possible onto a barbarian. Specifically ones they can make use of while raging, either through multiclassing or via feats. The natural subclass for this sort of flavour would be wild magic barbarians, but any kind of barbarian is fine.

For example, I often see Absorb Elements touted as being a great spell, while Gift of the Chromatic Dragon has been generally thought of as a not-great feat. But (non-bear) barbarians can feel kind of squishy as soon as elemental damage comes into the fray, so having a non-spell version of Absorb Elements they can use while raging could feel valuable, especially since it comes with a small damage bonus you can apply if you ever get a round to prepare before a combat (which might not usually be a round that most barbarians can make use of).

Eg2. Cleric's channel divinity, though I haven't gone through looking for what ones might be of value for a 2 level dip.

Has anyone tried making this kind of character before? And/or does anything come to mind for it?

divine smite, divine smite, channel divinties (paladin actually gets both, so thats something), eldritch smite, basically all of the lvl 1 features for both sorcerers and clerics, tempest clerics in particular get a cut rate hellish rebuke while DS sorcerers get 'protagonist buff',

Unoriginal
2022-05-28, 10:57 AM
Hi all,

The psionic powers from the Psi Warrior and Soul Knife subclasses can be used while raging.

RogueJK
2022-05-28, 11:13 AM
The psionic powers from the Psi Warrior and Soul Knife subclasses can be used while raging.

divine smite, divine smite, channel divinties (paladin actually gets both, so thats something), eldritch smite, basically all of the lvl 1 features for both sorcerers and clerics, tempest clerics in particular get a cut rate hellish rebuke while DS sorcerers get 'protagonist buff',

Other magical effects usable while raging:

Druid Wild Shape, including alternate Wild Shape uses like Stars Druid Star Forms and Wildfire Druid Companion

Monk magical Ki effects (provided they aren't explicitly casting a spell like Shadow Arts, Searing Arc Strike, or Four Elements)

Warlock subclass abilities (provided they aren't explicitly casting a spell like Grasping Tentacles or Limited Wish)

Wizard subclass abilities

Arcane Archer Arcane Shots

Eladrin/Shadar-Kai teleport

Rune Knight rune effects

Dragonborn breath weapons, including from the Dragon Fear feat

Telekinetic feat BA shove

And nothing prevents a Barbarian from effectively utilizing the Ritual Caster feat. You won't be casting or Concentrating on ritual spells in combat. They could also make use of something like Magic Initiate Wizard, taking two utility cantrips and Find Familiar or another long-lasting non-concentration spell like Longstrider.

So for example, a Metallic Dragonborn Wild Magic Barbarian/Rune Knight multiclass with the Telekinetic feat could feel pretty "magical". Or a longbow-wielding Shadar-Kai Ancestral Guardian Barbarian 3/Arcane Archer X with the Ritual Caster Wizard feat.

Mastikator
2022-05-28, 11:21 AM
Spells that don't require concentration and have 10 minutes or more can potentially be used, 2 levels of warlock can give you fiendish vigor. THP are better on a raging barbarian. Healing light from celestial is not a spell and can be used by a barbarian while raging. Celestial pact'd zealot makes thematic sense too. Armor of Agathys can also be pre-cast but won't stack with fiendish vigor.

strangebloke
2022-05-28, 11:24 AM
Hi all,

yeah, there's a lot you can do here.

any magical spell that doesn't have concentration can be pre-cast as a buff and carried into a fight. Some good examples here include:

Armor of Agathys, which will last twice as long as normal because of BSP reduction and give you lots of protection and damage (combine with goliath to further extend it)
Protection from Poison, which covers one of your potential weak points
Aid, which lasts for eight hours and can really juice up your HP
Goodberry, to make sure you never go hungry in the middle of a fight.
Longstrider, great for getting you into melee
Daylight/Darkness/See invisibility for obvious nullification of enemy abilities
Mage Armor if you have middling CON but still want to fight naked (or you want to buff an ally)

Beyond that as already mentioned there are a lot of magical non-spell abilities, many of which have been mentioned.

But of these wildshape is easily the most synergistic, and a Moon druid 2/Barbarian 3 might just be the strongest 5th level melee build because even though you give up extra attack... brown bears have multiattack, and rage and unarmored AC and fast movement and reckless all work while you're in bear form. Even more useful are forms like giant spider, which casually gives you blindsense, wall-walking, and a special restraining attack (that you can apply rage damage to!). At higher levels you can move over to more druid or more barbarian depending on preference. Higher level druid gives you better forms, like a giant elk or a flying creature. Higher level barbarian gives you extra attack and advantage on initiative and such things.

My wife's run this build to level 15 and has no regrets.

There are a lot of non-racial magical abilities as well, like the shadar-kai's teleport, though that isn't very synergistic here. I'll also give a shoutout to the tiefling and infernal constitution, which basically makes any barbarian into a bearbarian.