PDA

View Full Version : Shepherd Druid totem Aura.

Snig
2022-05-28, 07:07 PM
Question came up during the session today when I popped my bear totem. There was a couple characters behind a wall and out of line of sight of the aura but still within the radius. We weren't sure if they would benefit from the aura or not?

Thoughts?

JNAProductions
2022-05-28, 07:22 PM
Question came up during the session today when I popped my bear totem. There was a couple characters behind a wall and out of line of sight of the aura but still within the radius. We weren't sure if they would benefit from the aura or not?

Thoughts?

I'd say no. If you had Line of Sight OR Line of Effect, I'd grant the characters the benefit, but with neither... Nah.

There might be some RAW on this, but I can't find it off-hand. I'd recommend just getting the DM to make a ruling and stick with it.

sithlordnergal
2022-05-29, 01:09 PM
Hmmm, the aura is very similar to a Paladin's aura. Now, keep in mind that since this is not a spell, it does not automatically follow the general spell rules about lines of sight and cover. As such, we have these three different aura examples:

Beginning at 7th level, ancient magic lies so heavily upon you that it forms an eldritch ward. You and friendly creatures within 10 feet of you have resistance to damage from spells.

At 18th level, the range of this aura increases to 30 feet.

Starting at 7th level, you constantly emanate a menacing aura while you’re not incapacitated. The aura extends 10 feet from you in every direction, but not through total cover.

If a creature is frightened of you, its speed is reduced to 0 while in the aura, and that creature takes psychic damage equal to half your paladin level if it starts its turn there.

Starting at 6th level, whenever you or a friendly creature within 10 feet of you must make a saving throw, the creature gains a bonus to the saving throw equal to your Charisma modifier (with a minimum bonus of +1). You must be conscious to grant this bonus.

At 18th level, the range of this aura increases to 30 feet

So...do ya see it? If not, I'll highlight it for you.

Starting at 7th level, you constantly emanate a menacing aura while you’re not incapacitated. The aura extends 10 feet from you in every direction, but not through total cover.

If a creature is frightened of you, its speed is reduced to 0 while in the aura, and that creature takes psychic damage equal to half your paladin level if it starts its turn there.

Oath of Conquest is specifying that it can't go through full cover. But if it has to specify that it doesn't go through full cover, then that means full cover blocking Auras is not a General Rule. Which means the General rule is that auras go through full cover. Meaning your Spirit Totem can affect creatures on the other side of a wall.