PDA

View Full Version : Odd Concept

elyktsorb
2022-05-29, 06:34 PM
What if you had a Monk Subclass, that didn't really give you any 'new' things, but instead turned all the Monk's traditional abilities into like, auras?

Like, for example. Deflect Missiles at some point becomes activatable in a 10ft radius, and not just against you.

Slow Fall extends to people around you.

Purity of Body extends.

Obviously you'd have to reword a lot of things to work in this manner and not be silly but I think it would be neat.

Kane0
2022-05-29, 07:20 PM
Yeah sounds fine to me, would be pretty useful to extend things like evasion and stillness of mind to your party.

loki_ragnarock
2022-05-29, 08:11 PM
I don't know how well that would mesh with the thematics of self mastery...

... but that would also probably be my go to monk, because making everyone else around me better is my favorite playstyle.

I'm not sure how you would do this in four bullet points, though?

Chronos
2022-05-30, 06:34 AM
First subclass level, you can extend any of those abilities to one adjacent ally, using your reaction. Second subclass level, you can do it for all adjacent allies. Third subclass level, it doesn't use your reaction any more, so you can give them all to your allies at once. Fourth subclass level, it's 30'. Or you can add to the list of abilities it works with, or it can start off using ki and then the ki cost goes away, or you could pad it with a few new abilities.

Corlindale
2022-05-30, 06:56 AM
You may want to check out the Sensei (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk/archetypes/paizo-monk-archetypes/sensei/) monk archetype from Pathfinder, which pretty much does exactly what you are asking for here. Though of course it will require some conversion as it's PF rules rather than 5e. But the idea of spending ki points to share abilities is there, and then they also give it bardic inspiration to thematically represent the sensei's advice.

Perhaps you could find some inspiration there (no pun intended).

Amnestic
2022-05-30, 08:18 AM
I don't know how well that would mesh with the thematics of self mastery...

It would feel appropriate for a psionic monk, perhaps? Use their bigbrain to mindlink with nearby allies to share your abilities with them.