PDA

View Full Version : House Rules

Istari
2007-11-26, 03:40 PM
I have a big question for all you playgroundersd out there.

What are your favorite or least favorite house rules?:smallbiggrin:

Sleet
2007-11-26, 03:49 PM
Favorites:

- Ignore encumbrance as long as you're being reasonable
- Don't track mundane stuff like food and water - assume competent characters equip themselves appropriately
- Don't do XP, just level up when appropriate
- Monks get full BAB
- Quick Draw allows sheathing a weapon as a free action, as well as drawing one
- Readying an action doesn't affect your initiative order (but delaying action still does)

Least favorites:
- You're not flatfooted before your first go (That's half the point of initiative)

Morty
2007-11-26, 03:52 PM
So far, the only houserule my group uses is that you can attack with both weapons as standard action, as well as attack with both weapons after charge.

Mad Wizard
2007-11-26, 03:53 PM
I've always liked to replace all Resurrection type spells with Revivify (SpC). It makes death more final and urgent, because you only have one round to bring them back. Also, you don't lose a level when revived with Revivify. I've often found level loss from resurrection annoying, because it can become an endless cycle of death and resurrection at a lower level.

Matthew
2007-11-26, 04:15 PM
I have quite a lot, but here are some favourites:

1) Power Attack being shifted down to 1:1 for all weapons, coupled with 1.5 Strength Bonus to AB and DB (minimum of +1 Bonus, so -1 becomes 0, 0 becomes 1, etc..) for Two Handed Weapons (but only Two Handed Weapons).

2) Combat Expertise as a Bonus Feat for all Martial Classes,

3) Weapon Finesse applies to all weapons.

4) Dumping of Iterative Attacks in favour of an Extra Attack at their Full Attack Bonus when they reach Base Attack Bonus 11 .

5) Strength Bonus applies to Bow AB and Thrown Weapons (does not stack with Dexterity)

6) Full Strength Bonus to Off Hand Attacks

7) Adios retarded Race Weapons

8) Clerics learn spells like Wizards

9) Only Spells on my list are available.

10) Great Swords do 1D12 Damage

11) Critical Hits are gone, many weapons move up a Damage Die.

12) Elves get automatic Proficiency with Short Swords, Long Swords, Short Bows and Long Bows.

13) Spears and Long Spears can be used One Handed (but do 1D6 Damage)

14) Tower Shields are Two Handed Weapons

15) Armour doesn't reduce Movement Speed, only Running Speed

16) One Handed or Light Weapons used Two Handed move up a Damage Die (i.e. 1D6 becomes 1D8, 1D8 becomes 1D10, etc...). Conversely, Two Handed Weapons used One handed move down a Damage Die (i.e. 1D12 becomes 1D10)

17) Shields grant a Block Manoeuvre as an Immediate Action

18) Orcs are just another word for Hobgoblin. Half Orcs undergo significant reforms...

19) Monks get full Base Attack Bonus progression, amongst other things

20) Saving Throws become +1 per Character Level for all Classes and Prestige Classes

21) Skill Focus becomes +4 and can be bought in stages; other Skill Boosting Feats are removed.

Actually, the list goes on and on...

Alex12
2007-11-26, 04:40 PM
Partial proficiency with languages (half a rank) means there's a chance you'll be misunderstood when trying to speak it, often hilariously.
Most of our other houserules involve things like antimatter weapons and neutronium and such.

Thinker
2007-11-26, 05:43 PM
In addition to some of those listed above (and I will be stealing some from Matthew), I like the following:

No class skills, every skill costs one point per rank to raise. UMD is a class feature of those classes that normally have access to it: others cannot raise it and if they dip a class that can use it they can only spend points on it in levels they have in that class.
A block/parry mechanic that uses an AoO for the round.
All magic requires Charisma as DC and either Int or Wis to determine bonus spells.
No multiclassing penalties.

I have others, but those are probably the most important.

kjones
2007-11-26, 05:46 PM
Matthew: Could you explain that "block maneuver" that Shields grant? I've been looking for a way to balance S&B fighters in a reasonable way, and this intrigues me...

Matthew
2007-11-26, 06:14 PM
Matthew: Could you explain that "block maneuver" that Shields grant? I've been looking for a way to balance S&B fighters in a reasonable way, and this intrigues me...

Sure. Basically there are a few options for handling this, depending on how powerful you want it to be.

1) You can declare it an auto miss, as with the Block Arrow Feat.

2) You can use an Opposed Roll Mechanic, where the DC is the Attack Roll (as with the Wall of Blades Manoeuvre from TOB). Treat as though a Shield Bash (without penalties) and add any Shield Bonus to the result (I actually add 2 for Light Shields and 4 for Heavy Shields, i.e. twice their AC).

3) Same as above, but using a Reflex Save instead of an Attack Roll.

4) Same as above, but no roll, instead 'take 10'.

I initially conceived of this as a Feat (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43960), then decided there were already way too many in the game. The original source, though, was the 2e Complete Fighter's Handbook.

Jannex
2007-11-26, 06:15 PM
The Keen magic weapon property and the Improved Critical feat stack.

AKA_Bait
2007-11-26, 06:32 PM
No death from Massive Damage. Instead character is considered shaken.

Many, many spells don't exist anymore.

PHBII alternate metamagic class feature for sorcerers is standard.

Sorcerers get Eschew Materials for free at first level.

Natural Spell does not exist.

Classes do not have alignment restrictions. Alternate versions of the Paladin are used for each alignment.

Favored Souls get the cure spells added to their list for free at the appropriate levels.

There are more...

brian c
2007-11-26, 07:16 PM
Favorites:

- Ignore encumbrance as long as you're being reasonable
- Don't track mundane stuff like food and water - assume competent characters equip themselves appropriately
- Don't do XP, just level up when appropriate
- Monks get full BAB
- Quick Draw allows sheathing a weapon as a free action, as well as drawing one
- Readying an action doesn't affect your initiative order (but delaying action still does)

Least favorites:
- You're not flatfooted before your first go (That's half the point of initiative)

I use pretty much the same as these "favorites".

Additionally: Massive damage only makes you "clobbered" (only take partial action) instead of insta-dead; also massive damage amount scales based on size, and the DC scales based on the damage done (doing 100 damage to a halfling should be more damaging than 51 damage to an ogre)

Just Alex
2007-11-26, 07:21 PM
At high levels, I like the +/- 20 rule on critical hits and fumbles instead of auto hit/miss.
I generally run the "don't abuse it and we ignore it" encumbrance rules.

Zincorium
2007-11-26, 07:21 PM
Favorites:

1. Maximum hit points for everyone- combat tends to go from 'if you win initiative you kill it' to actually having some strategy, especially with...
2. Mutual agreement not to abuse use save-or-dies/sucks/commits suicide effects. Players start using them, so will I, and they're told that from the beginning.
3. No xp penalties for multiclassing. It's neither consistent nor sensible.
4. Gestalt, with the right players and expanded a bit.
5. Automatic stabilization after four rounds unmolested or combat ends. Because there is nothing heroic about bleeding to death.
6. Paladins are a PrC only. If I think the player and I see eye-to-eye on the subject, after seeing the character in action, they get the go ahead. Prevents the loss of all class features due to miscommunication.

Edit: I also use a lot of the little ones, like no encumbrance, but I don't even think about them much anymore.

brian c
2007-11-26, 09:26 PM
At high levels, I like the +/- 20 rule on critical hits and fumbles instead of auto hit/miss.
I generally run the "don't abuse it and we ignore it" encumbrance rules.

Oh, that reminds me. I use 30/-10 (that is, a roll of 20 = 30 and a roll of 1 = -10) for attack rolls, but not skill checks or saves, those are normal. I'd rather have natural 1s not be auto-fail, so I think I might like to start using 1 = -10 for saves but not 20=30

Chronos
2007-11-26, 10:08 PM
Gnomes get a +2 racial bonus to Open Locks, Disable Device, and Craft and Search checks related to mechanical devices.

Halflings get low-light vision.

Several changes to the literacy rules: First, characters are literate in scripts, not languages. If you speak the appropriate language, and you know the alphabet used, you can sound out the writing. Second, not all characters are automatically literate: Paladins, clerics, monks, bards, and wizards get literacy for free in the script of one language known (player's choice). Druids get free literacy in Druidic. Anyone else, or for any other languages, you need to spend skill points (two points for barbarians, one for anyone else).

Ranged weapons get their maximum ranges adjusted if the attacker and target are at different elevations. If the attacker is higher, maximum range is increased by an amount equal to the height difference, and if the attacker is lower, it's decreased by the same amount. The range increment remains the same, but the maximum range might be more than 10 range increments (in which case penalties continue to increase). This actually models the physics involved pretty closely, and is easy to implement.

deadseashoals
2007-11-26, 11:47 PM
The two I would never play without in some form:

1) Adios, massive damage
2) Death occurs at 10 + 1/2*HD + Constitution modifier

Edit -

And the third "rule" that I'd never play without:

3) No broken crap (e.g. polymorph, celerity), a rule seemingly not shared by many on internet message boards

kjones
2007-11-26, 11:50 PM
Oh, that reminds me. I use 30/-10 (that is, a roll of 20 = 30 and a roll of 1 = -10) for attack rolls, but not skill checks or saves, those are normal. I'd rather have natural 1s not be auto-fail, so I think I might like to start using 1 = -10 for saves but not 20=30

Pet Peeve alert: A natural 20 or a natural 1 on a skill check doesn't do anything special. (Unlike with saving throws, where it's an automatic success/failure.)

metalbear
2007-11-27, 12:53 AM
My favorite house rules gotta' be...
1. Roll stats with 4d6, take the top three die scores
2. Have at least one 18 stat score to start
3. No encumberance
4. No need to have food or water
5. less importance on alignment

Kizara
2007-11-27, 01:04 AM
My favorite house rules gotta' be...
1. Roll stats with 4d6, take the top three die scores
2. Have at least one 18 stat score to start
3. No encumberance
4. No need to have food or water
5. less importance on alignment

Isn't "1)" the standard stat gen RAW method anyways?

Skjaldbakka
2007-11-27, 01:44 AM
Why Strength to hit with bows? I can see strength for thrown weapons, but strength for bows doesn't make sense to me.

This seems like it has the potential for de-railing, so . . . link (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3575973#post3575973)

brian c
2007-11-27, 02:06 AM
Pet Peeve alert: A natural 20 or a natural 1 on a skill check doesn't do anything special. (Unlike with saving throws, where it's an automatic success/failure.)

That's why I don't use -10/30 for skill checks.

SoD
2007-11-27, 05:28 AM
I've always been in favour of the 30/-10 rule, and also (depending on my players opinion) I'm going to implement that death occurs at -con score instead of -10. Thirdly, not so much a house rule as a guideline, if I don't know the rule (as the DM), or where to find it straight away, then I use a rule that makes sense/seems right. This may or may not become the standard. Fourthly (one that my players decided against my agreement) if a player accidentally says something wrong, they can correct themselves. If I (DM) accidentally say something wrong, it goes. At one point, this meant that a goblin, instead of throwing a javelin, threw his crossbow at a player. Up until that point, the goblin didn't even have a crossbow!

Swooper
2007-11-27, 05:29 AM
These are the rules I use for my games:

The following defined variants are used: Massive Damage Based on Size, Weapon Equivalencies, Critical Success or Failiure, Nonmagical Psionics, Reducing Level Adjustment, all class- and class feature variants (except gestalt), Fractional Base Bonuses, Complex Skill Checks, Character Traits & Flaws, Alternative Save Failiure Results (Dying), Action Points.
No XP penalty for multiclassing, no favoured classes.
Every character gets a Background Feat at levels 1, 5, 10, 15 and 20. This can be any skill-related feat (Alertness, Education, Skill Focus etc.), Endurance, or in general, any relatively weak feat allowed by me.
All hit dice for both players and monters are maximised.
0 level bonus spells for high stats.
Critical fumbles for attack rolls (and everything else on a d20, really).
Various class fixes and adjustments. This includes 4 SP for fighters and sorcerers, the complete removal of the Monk (play a swordsage instead you git) and The Unofficial Hexblade Fix.
Gnomes get +2 Int instead of Con. Some other minor adjustments to other races.
Concentration DC to cast defensively is now not a static 15, but instead 10+spell level+threatening enemy's BAB (if multiple enemies threaten, use the highest one).
No double weapons except Quarterstaff and Twobladed Sword, and no goddamn Spiked Chain. Sorry catgirls, but those weapons just don't make sense and to me, break suspension of disbelief to a degree. Also, no Animated Shield. Because there must be SOME point to playing a S&B fighter
This one goes without saying, but broken stuff = not allowed. This means you, Celerity, Candle of Invocation and Ur-Priest. Incidentally, I don't ban Polymorph or Alter Self, because I enforce the rule that you can't morph into things you are not familiar with.

Emperor Demonking
2007-11-27, 11:53 AM
If you die, you can't take any actions.

Person_Man
2007-11-27, 12:05 PM
My group tends to avoid house rules, with the exception that we always tend to go with RAI instead of RAW.

One good exception: When you roll a 1, you automatically miss. You then roll to confirm a critical fumble. If roll to confirm and hit the enemy's AC, nothing special happens beyond missing. If you roll to confirm and miss again, then the DM can force something odd to happen - usually dropping your weapon, rolling to sunder your weapon, accidentally attacking another target, you fall Prone, etc. If you roll another 1, you roll damage against yourself.

AKA_Bait
2007-11-27, 12:29 PM
If you die, you can't take any actions.

Oh yeah, forgot about that one... use that one too.

serok42
2007-11-27, 12:44 PM
Just want to start off by saying what is so bad about natural spell?
I notice a lot of you disallow it. I really don't see anything wrong with it.

And now without further ado the house rules that my group uses (at least what I can think of.

No Multi-class XP penalties
No Favored Class
Hit points: First 2 levels full dice value every other gets 3/4 (IE d8 = 6HP)
Spiked Chain Does not exist.
Use casting stat modifier to get bonus 0th level spells (Cleric with 18 WIS has
4 extra 0th level spells to cast)
It is assumed that the player has mundane stuff like food and clothing unless
something comes up in the game to make one think otherwise. (IE stuck
in the desert for weeks or a thief steals all of your stuff)

bugsysservant
2007-11-27, 01:12 PM
Just want to start off by saying what is so bad about natural spell?
I notice a lot of you disallow it. I really don't see anything wrong with it.

Natural spell allows a druid to be wildshaped and still cast. While in Wildshape they are one of the best meleers in the game, especially if all sourcebooks are allowed or if you are lax about animal familiarity. By removing wildshape this at least forces them to choose between awesome physical power and full spellcasting (also generally viewed as incredibly powerful). Its not perfect, and a wildshaped druid can still own a fighter of equal level with ease, but it is better.

Kompera
2007-11-27, 01:26 PM
I have a big question for all you playgroundersd out there.

What are your favorite or least favorite house rules?:smallbiggrin:
I don't really have any specific most favorites. My most favorite in general would be a campaign setting which imitates most of the common "high fantasy" settings in which I've played in the past. This involves "house rules" against using a vast array of the set of source books available. I really enjoy a game in which I'm and the other players are core races and core classes. I don't care to play next to the Half Ogre Asamar Gestalt Warlock/Artificer. It's just not the "look and feel" I care for in my D&D.

Least favorite:
A 1 on a to hit roll is a fumble - This house rule punishes melee types and causes those with more than a single attack to fumble more often than those with only a single attack. The net result is that a 6th level Fighter fumbles twice as often as a 1st level Fighter. In AD&D when the Fighter was using his "One swing per level against monsters under level 1" ability, it nearly guaranteed that in any melee lasting more than 4-5 rounds that you'd cripple yourself of a friend. Just. Not. Heroic. (Or. Rational.)

triforcel
2007-11-27, 01:34 PM
1) Absolutely no use of anything the DM hasn't already looked at, no matter what book it comes from.
2) Stat generation is 4d6 10 times.
3) Unless your characters have a reason for knowing each other at the start of the campaign, they're created without any knowledge of what the other people are making.
4) 1's are autofails on all d20 rolls but saves, likewise 20's are auto successes.
5) Triple 20 super success, triple 1 super failure.
6) Reroll hit points based on hit die size. d6 rerolls 1s, d8 rerolls 1 and 2, d10 1, 2, 3, and d12 1-4.
7) If you want your character to have a one night stand, roll for it. Do NOT expect to roleplay it.
8) Making an "unbeatable" build (especially if you brag about it) is inviting an enemy with a truly unbeatable build to target you specifically and then wander off once your lesson is learned.

clericwithnogod
2007-11-27, 02:04 PM
Favorites: None

Least Favorites: All

I really want to like the no death from massive damage, but house rules tend to multiply. So even if you start with one good house rule, that rule will embolden the creator to make another one, then another one, and eventually, you get one that sucks the fun out of the game if not for everyone, at least for one player.

It doesn't even have to be a bad rule that does it, it can be a good rule that in combination with another good rule results in a roll of 01 or 02-03 on the Rule Miscibility Table and makes the game less fun for all the players or ruins it for one.

Triaxx
2007-11-27, 02:49 PM
One of my favorites is:

All skills require one point to raise, Class skills as listed recieve a +3 bonus. So a paladin gets +3 on his Knowledge (Religion).

Chronos
2007-11-27, 02:51 PM
No double weapons except Quarterstaff and Twobladed Sword, and no goddamn Spiked Chain. Sorry catgirls, but those weapons just don't make sense and to me, break suspension of disbelief to a degree.Huh, I would think that a Two-Bladed Sword would break suspension of disbelief worse than, say, a spear-axe.

...and eventually, you get one that sucks the fun out of the game if not for everyone, at least for one player.The problem is that sometimes, the rule that sucks the fun out of the game is straight from the PHB. Remember, a house rule doesn't necessarily have to add a rule to the ruleset; it can take one away, too. And once you've set the precedent of houseruling, if a houserule turns out to make the game less fun, well then you just take away that houserule.

ALOR
2007-11-27, 03:03 PM
1. 1 auto fail, 20 auto sucess (within reason)
2. 1 in combat is an auto miss and you invoke an AoO
3. 20 in combat is an Auto Crit
4. death at - con

thats all I can think of right now

Yami
2007-11-27, 04:58 PM
Beisdes the simple, like no Massive damage, 'cuz I'll be hiting you enough anyways, and no bucket healing, I tend to run with few house rules, and the ones I do use are rather light on the changes.

-I give every one eschew materials, becuse I can.
-I suppose I'll mention no massive damage here.
-I try to fix silly loop-holes, like the bucket of water for drowning the injured.
-I don't house rule out silly weapons, but never sell them.
-Same with races.
-I allow people to choose either average HP per level or to roll for it.
-I crack down on cheese, but sometimes give warning when I notice it start.
-No multiclassing EXP penalties
-And lastly I allow a trait and a flaw at character generation.

Istari
2007-11-27, 05:04 PM
First of all what books are the traits and flaws.

Second of all if im reading the rules correctly about multiclassing then if you have 5 out of balance classes you have a 100% ep reduction and can't gain any more ep's?

triforcel
2007-11-27, 05:31 PM
Traits and flaws are in Unearthed Arcana.

As for the multiclass penalties, I believe it's supposed to be EXP less 20%, then less 20% of what's left, ect. But in either case you would need to be level 25 to have five out of balance classes. One at lv 1, one at lv 3, one at lv 5, one at lv 7, and one at lv 9.

BardicDuelist
2007-11-27, 06:04 PM
My personal favorite at the moment is:

Celerity line spells grant +8 to inatiave for one round during which you are limited to the action specified in the spell (i.e. lesser lets you take a move action). All actions (except free actions) outside of the alloted time (i.e. One Full Round action for greater) take place within the time that you are stunned (so you are stunned for the entierity of time stop). When you have passed a full round after the round in which you cast the spell (i.e. when, skipping your origional iniative for this turn since it was temporally bumped, you have passed your normal iniative in the next round once), you may act normally. You may not delay iniative to change this in anyway.

I know it is convluted, but I see it as the only way to keep the celerity line spells, which I think came from a good idea, but allow too broken of things to happen.

Kaelik
2007-11-27, 06:51 PM
My personal favorite at the moment is:

Celerity line spells grant +8 to inatiave for one round during which you are limited to the action specified in the spell (i.e. lesser lets you take a move action). All actions (except free actions) outside of the alloted time (i.e. One Full Round action for greater) take place within the time that you are stunned (so you are stunned for the entierity of time stop). When you have passed a full round after the round in which you cast the spell (i.e. when, skipping your origional iniative for this turn since it was temporally bumped, you have passed your normal iniative in the next round once), you may act normally. You may not delay iniative to change this in anyway.

I know it is convluted, but I see it as the only way to keep the celerity line spells, which I think came from a good idea, but allow too broken of things to happen.

Um. That's stupid. Anyone who ever casts a Celerity spell in your campaign is a complete retard and deserves nothing but death.

I hate when people don't want to remove things, so instead they make them so incredibly terrible that no one uses them. Congratulations, you wasted a bunch of time finding a convoluted way to remove Celerity without removing it.

It gives a +8 bonus to init, you can't be flat-footed to use it, you get less then a full round, and then you are stunned. They have a level one spell that's actually worth it and does the same thing only better. It's called Nerveskitter. Just remove Celerity from the game or don't.

I have a houserule, it goes something like this:

1. Sorcerers get a single known spell of each level. They also can only use each one once a day. Oh, and I changed their progression, it's slower and it caps at 3rd level spells at level 20.

I do this because I don't want to remove Sorcerers, but I think they are broken.

(Yes I know Sorcerers aren't broken, just an example of the reasoning I hate.)

Lord_Kimboat
2007-11-27, 07:36 PM
Where is Celerity from? I've never seen it and am starting a campaign so am wondering what to look out for. Certainly just about everyone seems to hate it.

Reinboom
2007-11-27, 08:01 PM
Where is Celerity from? I've never seen it and am starting a campaign so am wondering what to look out for. Certainly just about everyone seems to hate it.

Player's Handbook 2.
Celerity and Greater Celerity give extra actions immediately at the cost of being dazed (which can be easily circumvented).

1. Sorcerer gets 1 extra spell known per spell level.
2. Monks get full BAB
3. Everything that is setting specific requires my permission, or is banned by default.
4. Banned List:

Banned Spell:
Ray of Enfeeblement
Ray of Stupidity
Shivering Touch
Alter Self
Polymorph
Polymorph any Object
Shapechange
Gate
Time Stop
Celerity
Greater Celerity
Forcecage
Wraithstrike
Knock
Antimagic Field (Shaped)
Phantom Steed
Rope Trick
Private Sanctum
Mage's Magnificent Mansion
Mage's Disjunction
Programmed Amnesia
Divine Power
Righteous Might

Banned Feats:
Divine Metamagic
Natural Spell
Fell Drain
Fell Weaken
Metamagic School Focus
Easy Metamagic

Banned Items:
Hand of Glory
Belt of Battle
Admirals Bicorne
Blindfold of True Darkness
Headband of Conscious Effort
Heward's Fortifying Bedroll
Boots of Temporal Acceleration
Ring of Sustenance
Flesh ring of Scorn
Rod of Metamagic
Greater Rod of Metamagic (Lesser Rods of Metamagic are fine)
Candle of Invocation
Dust of sneezing and choking
Ioun Stone, Orange
Survival pouch
Tooth of Savnok
Nightsticks

Banned Prestige Classes:
Hulking Hurler
Frenzied Berserker
Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil

Banned Classes:
Wizard
Cleric
Druid
Archivist

+ Anything that bothers my game

5. The above list can grow.
6. Don't break my game.
7. I like the -10/30 rule.
8. Homebrew material is allowed. Everything Fax Celestis and myself do is allowed by default, anything further - ask for. Some homebrew is just better than what wizards spews out...
9. Experience Buffer (http://wiki.faxcelestis.net/index.php?title=Experience_Buffer) works for most temporary effects, because losing experience is retarded.
10. There's always more house rules.

BardicDuelist
2007-11-27, 08:14 PM

PHB2.

Kaelik: You see, my group screams foul whenever I remove elements from a game, but are perfectly okay with reworking the mechanics. You may have a group that you are not close friends with outside of D&D, or you may have a great deal of players, etc. available. I have neither of these, so rathe than find a new group, I find a compromise. We have played with the number given as well, and allow it to be used flatfooted, although I omitted that (my mistake). The current number is 8. It has been as high as 15, and has also scaled with the level of the spell. What's great about house rules is that they can be easily adjusted.

Unlike nerveskitter, it adds to your all ready rolled iniative and is not part of the roll. You can cast at any point.

Also, what do you care weather my reasoning behind houserules is they type you like or not? If you hate the way the work, you don't use them because you aren't part of my group. If you were and still hated the way this particular house rule works, you still have the option of not using it, which is an option, rather than an out right ban.

As for houserules in general, I think they are very useful for given things, and generally our house rules come from making things up on the fly and deciding we like the way they work better than RAW.

Dode
2007-11-27, 09:43 PM
- Sorcerers get a bonus Heritage feat every 5 levels like a Wizard
- 25 pt buy for stats, but a stat point is handed out every now and then as a reward for heroic conduct

Nonah_Me
2007-11-27, 10:11 PM
- Sorcerers get a bonus Heritage feat every 5 levels like a Wizard
- 25 pt buy for stats, but a stat point is handed out every now and then as a reward for heroic conduct

I like this.

As for our games:
We tend to roll 5d6 and drop lowest 2. Not REALLY a house rule, but still.
In my games, I don't micromanage carrying capacity and such. It'll come into play if you try to carry a chest full of gold, but I really have a hard time remembering if your waterskin was full of water or not.
The You Said It (also known as No OOC outside of breaktime) Rule.
I don't know if it's a house rule, but no character generated can have an item worth more than 1/4 his or her WBL.

BardicDuelist
2007-11-27, 11:32 PM
House rules I typically use:
All classes get two extra skill points (8 at first level).

You may do bludgeoning damage with any weapon at a -4 penalty to attack and using a die one size smaller (ie. d8 to d6) so long as the weapon has a haft, hilt, or similar part. Polearms may be used to attack targets 5' away in this manner.

A longspear may be used in one hand when using a shield, but at a -2 penalty to attack.

Centaurs and similar creatures use medium weapons (or weapons of one size category smaller than them if they are of a different size, other than large).

Feinting is a move action. Improved Feint makes this a swift action. Anything which would normally improve on this make this a free action limited by the number of attacks you can make that round.

Divine metamagic cannot increase the spell's effective level above that which you can normally cast.

Power attack gives +2 damage for every -1 to attack. This applies to all weapons, although it is not useable with light weapons and rapiers.

Leap attack provided double your str. bonus to damage. You get str. x2 on one handed weapons, str. x3 (1.5 x2) on two handed weapons. It does not affect power attack.

Tumble gives +1 when fighting defensively (or using combat expertise with a penalty of -2 or greater) for every five ranks you have in the skill.

Weapon Focus give +1 to attack for every +5 BAB you have. Weapon specialization gives +2 to damage for every +5 BAB you have.

Two-Weapon fighting included Improved and Greater versions. Rangers get the ability to attack with both weapons for Greater Combat Style, and Pounce for Combar Style Mastery.

There aren't all of them, jsut some of my favs.

Shosuro Ishii
2007-11-27, 11:54 PM
The Keen magic weapon property and the Improved Critical feat stack.

You realize that this makes a keen improved crit rapiers crit chance 9-20 and if you added the oil that doubles crit raiting of a weapon it becomes 2-20.

BardicDuelist
2007-11-28, 12:05 AM
You realize that this makes a keen improved crit rapiers crit chance 9-20 and if you added the oil that doubles crit raiting of a weapon it becomes 2-20.

My DM uses a similar house rule. I basically had rapier that did 2d6+2xSTR+2xINT. I took daring outlaw and razing strike (which automatically adds SA damage to all crits). Now we don't use that rule.

Skjaldbakka
2007-11-28, 01:07 AM
No bucket healing? This is referring to the drowning rules loophole, yes?

My houserules:

1) Setting specific modifications. Spellcasters are always modified for any campaign setting I plan to run more than 1 game in.

2) Common sense rulings. Like bucket healing, monk unarmed strike prof., death stopping you from taking actions. Whenever something comes up that just seems like a stupid oversight, I write it down and come up with a houserule to fix it.

3) Complex rules calls. There are some things that are subject to interpretation.

-Gloves/Cloth Wraps/Gauntlets etc. are enchantable weapons that monks can use.
-I allow spell storing ammunition
-I don't allow contingency to be activated by a free action taken by the caster (such as thinking about purple elephants, or speaking a specific word).

4)Spell rules
-I don't use polymorph. I use the 'specific form' line of spells instead
-I allow Time Stop, but not the celerity* line of spells

*I am currently working on a fighter class that gets a celerity effect. I think fighters with the ability to use effects like haste and celerity as (ex.) abilities are cool.

5)Skill rules
-I use the heal skill to modify the results of healing spells. It is a roll on a table, but is basically every 5 pts above 5 is a +1 to the minimum amount healed. I have a similar system for HP gains at each level.
-All classes have a minimum of 4+int skill points/lvl, except for intelligence based (full)casters.

triforcel
2007-11-28, 01:20 AM
What in the world is bucket healing?

Dreyden
2007-11-28, 01:33 AM
Death doesn't happen at -10, it happens at -(10+fortitude save modifier). This way, the better your constitution, the bigger your near-death zone. The higher your level, the bigger your near-death zone. More martial classes get a bigger near-death zone.

Also, to stabilize, it isn't a flat 10% roll; it is instead a Fortitude save DC 20.

Chronos
2007-11-28, 01:38 AM
What in the world is bucket healing?According to the drowning rules, when you start drowning, your HP are set to 0. So if you start off with HP less than 0 (possibly much less than 0, under the influence of certain magical effects which temporarily delay death), drowning will actually heal you up to 0. At which point you can barely act, and can therefore cast a Cure Minor Wounds to get you back up to 1 HP and full function.

I think it's safe to say that no DM actually allows this to work, and the ones who don't have a houserule about it have either never heard of the trick, or think it's too silly to dignify with a rule.

Superglucose
2007-11-28, 03:13 AM
Big one for me:

Detect Alignment spells are entitled to a will save. If the dc is bested by 10 or more, a fake alignment of the person's choosing is displayed, else, true neutral is detected.

This is something I made because I had a Paladin character playing in a game where the plot hinged on not knowing that the guy you're taking orders from was evil, well, at least not finding out for a while. And NO I did NOT make the paladin fall because he was helping an evil person: the Paladin legitimately believed he was doing good. The Paladin used Detect Evil on the NPC (clearly) and found that the NPC was not evil. Later on, a detect alignment spell was used, revealing him to be 'neutral good' (he was a Bard, or so they thought. Epic Sorceror actually).

Because he was such a high level Sorceror he had a ridiculous will save. But what I really liked about it was the party kind of had to make moral decisions for themselves, and couldn't just do what the 'good' person said to do. Also it adds a lot more question in Paladin smite attacks. Granted it nerfs them a bit, but imo it makes for a more immersive game and so the subtle nerf to a class hardly anyone plays can be excused.

I also houserule that Paladin mounts are not restricted by time limits, and function as 'called' creatures in terms of death and dying. I just do not like 3.5e's pokemon style of mounts.

Lessee... what else...

Improved Evasion and Evasion get a subtle nerf for realism (no longer is my rogue dodging a fireball centered on her. That just didn't make any sense for me or my players).

Wizards have the ability to use Search to find magical traps (but ONLY magical traps) due to the fact that their knowledge in magic and its many uses would probably translate to studying traps.

Search, Spot, and Listen are never class skills.

Sorcerors get Diplomacy, Intimidate, Handle Animal, Disguise, and Bluff, do not get any of the Knowledge skills (I forget if they did), and their familier provides a few more/better bonuses than wizards. I forget what they are off the top of my head, but it's enough to make Sorcerors playable.

Rogue sneak attack functions at half-power for critical immune creatures. This is to make the Rogue a little better, and to make up for the Evasion/Improved Evasion nerf.

Monks get Full BAB, do not have alignment restrictions.

Monks/Paladins can multi-class.

Rogues get Hide in Plain Sight, but only while in an urban area, and also get Trackless Step, but again only in urban areas. Rogues may use Gather Information to track people, but again, only in urban areas, and only if they take the 'track' feat.

Rangers favored enemies all level up at the same rate, they just get a new one every so often. Mostly, this is to balance the rangers back into usefullness.

Clerics are restricted in that they cannot wear heavy armor. They still get medium armor and all shields, just not heavy armor. Balance reasons.

Bards have a BAB at medium (it may already be here, not sure), get 8 skill points per level (their skill selection is no where NEAR as good as a Rogue's, so I feel ok with this).

Yes, yes, it's a complete rebalance. Maybe you don't like it, but it works for us. Let me know what needs to be changed.

Skjaldbakka
2007-11-28, 03:52 AM
Search, Spot, and Listen are never class skills.

Wow, that makes traps suck. More than they already do. Also, I don't think this makes any sense.

Khanderas
2007-11-28, 05:05 AM
Search, Spot, and Listen are never class skills.Wow, that makes traps suck. More than they already do. Also, I don't think this makes any sense.
I can only assume they mean those skills are never cross class for anyone.

Istari
2007-11-28, 04:21 PM
So any particular rules that you would set up for a group that has never played any system like this before?(i.e spell issues and other small rule mistake fixes wont be needed)

Telonius
2007-11-28, 04:41 PM
Favorites:
Half-Elves get an extra skill point each level.
Half-Orcs lose the CHA penalty.
Paladins take the alignment of their deity.
Monks may be chaotic. Bards and Barbarians may be lawful.
Monk gets full BAB and may enchant his fists as though they were weapons. (Monk must pay his own gold and xp).
Weapon Finesse does not have a BAB requirement.
Natural Spell does not exist.
Neither does the Polymorph family.
Neither does Forcecage.
All Clerics are Cloistered Clerics.
Sorcerers get free Eschew Materials at first level.
Multiclassing has no XP penalty.
Vorpal Weapons don't exist.
Each character gets a Handy Haversack at character creation.

Somebloke
2007-11-28, 05:07 PM
Quite a lot, although most are an attempt to reflect fluff (low-magic swashbuckling):

- Weapon finesse exists for everyone.
- The Paladin, Bard, Cleric, Druid, Wizard and Sorcerer are banned.
- The Noble is allowed.
- The Ranger is changed to remove all magical powers.
- The fighter gains bonuses to strength and dexterity based skills every few levels.
- Three new classes are introduced: the Inspired (nonmagical priest) the Arcane Scholar (low magic wizard/cleric) and the Prophecy (specialist Warlock/favored soul).
- No prestige classes unless they do not use magic.
Only one player may take the Arcane Scholar OR Prophecy class.
- No magic items other than potions.
- Potions can be created with a feat and an alchemy check.
- A similar system exists for better-than masterwork weapons and armor
- Characters gain a defence bonus based on level.
- Armor is DR based; rolling a 20, or hitting AC+DR automatically bypasses.
- Actions points exist.
- Feats are every second level.
- Story-dependant feats that grant daily action points are used as a reward system.
- Only humans are allowed as a character race, although there are regional feats to compensate.
- Players lose half their monetary wealth every week unless spent.
- Guns are used. They take 3 rounds to reload but bypass DR.
- The weapon table is simplified.
- The Heal skill can be used to heal wounds 1/encounter.

...all of the above are subject to alteration since it is a work in progress; however, no alterations will ruin a character.

Chronos
2007-11-28, 08:37 PM
Quite a lot, although most are an attempt to reflect fluff (low-magic swashbuckling): Just curious, but if you're going to be changing that much, why use D&D (designed for high-magic settings) as your base? I'm sure there are other RPGs, even d20 ones, which are designed to be much closer to the type of game you prefer.

Greenfaun
2007-11-28, 09:11 PM
Just curious, but if you're going to be changing that much, why use D&D (designed for high-magic settings) as your base? I'm sure there are other RPGs, even d20 ones, which are designed to be much closer to the type of game you prefer.

Yeah, such as Iron Heroes. I mean, do what you want, but that sounds like the direction you're headed to me.

BardicDuelist
2007-11-29, 12:18 AM
Quite a lot, although most are an attempt to reflect fluff (low-magic swashbuckling):

- Weapon finesse exists for everyone.
- The Paladin, Bard, Cleric, Druid, Wizard and Sorcerer are banned.
- The Noble is allowed.
- The Ranger is changed to remove all magical powers.
- The fighter gains bonuses to strength and dexterity based skills every few levels.
- Three new classes are introduced: the Inspired (nonmagical priest) the Arcane Scholar (low magic wizard/cleric) and the Prophecy (specialist Warlock/favored soul).
- No prestige classes unless they do not use magic.
Only one player may take the Arcane Scholar OR Prophecy class.
- No magic items other than potions.
- Potions can be created with a feat and an alchemy check.
- A similar system exists for better-than masterwork weapons and armor
- Characters gain a defence bonus based on level.
- Armor is DR based; rolling a 20, or hitting AC+DR automatically bypasses.
- Actions points exist.
- Feats are every second level.
- Story-dependant feats that grant daily action points are used as a reward system.
- Only humans are allowed as a character race, although there are regional feats to compensate.
- Players lose half their monetary wealth every week unless spent.
- Guns are used. They take 3 rounds to reload but bypass DR.
- The weapon table is simplified.
- The Heal skill can be used to heal wounds 1/encounter.

...all of the above are subject to alteration since it is a work in progress; however, no alterations will ruin a character.

I really, really recomend Iorn Heroes for you.

Alcino
2007-11-29, 02:17 AM
Pretty late, but here I go. I'll only talk about my unusual house rules; some that have been mentioned are no-brainers.

Among them: negative HP tinkering, Weapon Finesse for everyone (but with the same restrictions), Two-Weapon Fighting includes its successors, there's a feat that requires 6 BAB and allows an attack with both weapons on a charge or a standard action, etc.

Now some new ones.

Magic weapons bypass 5 DR of the type "10/magic" for every +1. So a +2 sword bypasses 10 such DR. It's a nice balance between 3E and 3.5E, and I strongly recommend it.

Inspired by the high starting HP in 4E, I retconned HP determination rules.
For every level, people gain half of their HP dice's max + their Con modifier. It's slightly lower than average, but only 10 lower on the course of 20 levels.
However, PCs and NPCs can get a fixed HP bonus that ranges from 0 to 10. PCs automatically get 10, obviously. This rule removes much of the early levels' bad luck and, especially, makes HP calculation much easier.

Every fraction counts. A character with an odd Constitution score gets 1 more HP every two levels. A 2nd-level Rogue with 17 Dexterity has +5 attack when throwing a regular dagger. A character with an odd stat and an odd number of skill points invested in a cross-class skill... you get the idea. It's almost superfluous as a rule, but I think it smooths things slightly.

Obviously, this means fractional saves are cumulative; however, a player must choose which one of his classes is his "main" class.
That class determines which saves get the initial +2 bonus and which class has 4 times the skill points to spend at the beginning. If it wasn't for my HP house rule, the main class would also determine which HP dice is maxed at first level. Every time the player gains a level in a class he didn't have before, he can choose to switch his main class to the new one.

Speaking of saves, I've added an average save which is exactly the average of the unrounded strong and weak saves.
While I mainly use them when I create NPCs destined to be fought, I allow the players to add them to classes at my discretion.
For example, sorcerers get average Will but can choose another average save, paladins can lower their Fortitude to average to gain average Will and the Swashbuckler's Grace is simply made into an average Reflex whose strength I usually switch with Fortitude.

Wind Wall makes arrows useless... unless magic arrows can make a caster level check against it (like for Dispel Magic).
According to the official rules, a magic weapon's caster level is 3 times its bonus, meaning that a +2 arrow could attempt a caster level check of 1d20 + 6 against 11 + the spellcaster level of whomever cast Wind Wall. It's just a quick fix.

I use my own variant of the MP variant. While I won't go into details, I'll say that some spells have been rebalanced, usually meaning that if you want more bang, you gotta pay more MP.
Resist Elements, for example, lasts a fixed ten minutes and grants a resistance of 3 for every MP spent. Ray of Enfeeblement makes the target lose 1 Strength for every MP spent. Yeah, I know, it's much weaker, but still my players use it... and fear my using it.

A major player favorite is my MP version of the Cure series, which simply becomes "heal 5 HP for every MP spent on casting the spell, max 50 HP". Same power level as the usual healing spells, but so much more streamlined and tangible. Your players will love it.

I've got generic NPC tables... everyone knows the DMG NPCs are really weak and ultimately useless for their FP. So I cheat, I twist, I look at the general progression... and I make it so that as FP increases, every numerical increase is perfectly smooth and the NPCs aren't totally outclassed by demons and giants.

My Fighter gets half as many bonus feats but smoothy integrates all the +attack and +damage Fighter-exclusive feats. No more Weapon Mastery madness at level 8!
There's 1 bonus attack at level 1, 5, 9, 13 and 17 and 1 bonus damage every even level. Totally balanced with the normal Fighter, but this one gets a much more linear rise in power that last until level 20.

Weapon size matters more than "reach or not" or "bonus to disarm or not". Now, a lance does not get an AoO against a two-handed sword, but the two-handed sword gets an AoO against a dagger. Simply put, reach is not important, only the difference in size category counts. This also applies to natural and unarmed attacks, making Combat Reflexes particularly attractive.

I'm finalizing perception rules that are exceptionally powerful and realistic (taking into account field of view, lighting, concentration, peripheral vision...) with matching discretion rules (taking into account immobility, realistic size issues, more variety in movement speed...).
This unified set of rules, still tied with the same skills, can determine from how far away a marching army can be spotted, if a crossbow sniper can successfully stay unseen after shooting his target from a rooftop at night (depends on his cover), what your chances are of spotting a hiding thief when you're looking in the general direction you heard a noise.
Also, for a set Spot and Hide, a human will spot a hiding human at twice the distance an equally perceptive halfling would spot an equally discreet halfling. And I don't care if the Colossal dragon has +39 Hide... it can't physically hide from you unless you're looking the other way or are very far from it, about ten times as far as to try spotting an equally discreet human. Even Invisibility will only make it so that you have to come closer to perceive it.

I'm also finishing seduction rules that take into account the different phases of attraction and bases success on level, Charisma, social class, wealth, skills in common, age, sexual orientation, racism, marital status, magic/alchemy, circumstances, religion, combat role and alignment compatibility.
Essentially, every character has an "attractiveness" value (based on half the things I mentioned) that gets them through the first impression, and then, depending on what skills the characters uses for the seduction check (Bluff, Disguise, Diplomacy...), the to-be-seduced responds with opposite skills (Psychology, Spot, Diplomacy...).
As a whole, the rules allow for two intensely attracted people to discover they're not compatible or two destined lovers to miss each other completely due to a bad first impression. But it also makes it so two characters with a lot in common will almost inevitably fall in love if they give each other a chance, a married woman whose husband is less satisfying than when he first made the seduction check will probably be tempted by other men and a rock star bard will inevitably be surrounded by tons of girls, most of which he finds uninteresting.

I've also tinkered with fall damage that hurts more as level increases, grappling and strength check rules that prevent a halfling from ever getting the upper hand against a giant, minor spells being cast at will for a permanent penalty to MP (Prestidigitation and Mage Armor come to mind), big creatures hitting touch armor at a penalty for their bludgeoning attacks but the armor granting DR against such attacks...

Hoo, look at the time. I gotta go.

Behold_the_Void
2007-11-29, 02:50 AM
I tend to tinker with races a bit (for example, I have an Orc player and I nixed the -2 charisma and gave a racial bonus to intimidate and weapon familiarity) and change Massive Damage to imposing increasingly heavy penalties for each failed save. I may outright ban a spell or a prestige class or a feat (or possibly tinker it, for example Divine Metamagic cannot bring your spells effective level above what you can normally cast). I have a lot of minor and more major houserules floating about, but I make sure to state them all to my players before I start a game, just to make sure everyone's on the same page.

Oh, and I hate critical failure rules with a passion. I think having any kind of warrior type drop their sword or worse 1 out of 20 times is just stupid.

Somebloke
2007-11-29, 02:22 PM
I really, really recomend Iorn Heroes for you.

I've looked for the main campaign setting...to no avail.

Satyr
2007-11-30, 12:32 PM
By no, my group uses a such big number of houserules I'm not even sure if we still play D&D or something similar based upon D&D.
Some of the rules are campaign specific, others were out of resentments towards spellcasters or the wish to make the game more plausible.

Paths
Originally, we wanted to use Gestalt rules, but since the number of available base classes in our campaign is more limited and we were not willing to see characters who have both an initiator level and full spellcasting, we dismissed the idea. Instead, there are paths. Every character chose one path during character creation, which gives him several additional abilities or features when he advances in level. Unlike a class, a path cannot be changed and most path features are less significant than class features. The whole path system is stolen borrowed from the excellent Midnight campaign setting.

Classes and Races
All classes and races are significantly changed. All races are a bit stronger (roughly equivalent to a former LA+1 race) to allow a broader bandwidth of traits, and while classical melee classes are improved, most spellcasters are somewhat nerfed (but rarely to an amount that would make them significantly weaker). Especially dead levels were hunted and are now nearly extinct. Martial classes arew based upon the Tome of Battle Classes, but their ead levels are filled with stuff from other classes.
Favorite Classes exist but instead of a penalty for multiclassing, a character gets a bonus feat at 1st, 5th and 10th level he or she takes in one of the favorite classes (evry race offer at least three different ones).

Class Index

Crusader based Classes:
Knight: like the PHB II knight, this is a mounted warrior whose ability to challenge his opponents force them to fight honorably.
Paladin: the only class which combines spellcasting and martial arts; the paladin is supposed to be the single most powerful class in game, because it demands the greatest responsibility. Paladins combine the martial aptitude of the crusader with the supernatural abilities of a god’s chosen warrior.
Starting on 4th level, the paladin gets his wisdom bonus (at least one) points added to his spellpoint pool on every even level. A 20th level paladin has a total spell point pool of 9xWisdom Bonus.
Commander: The commander is a worse fighter than both knight and paladin, but he is a leader of men, who boosts his follower to achieve great victories. The commander’s special abilities allow him to strengthen his men’s martial powers.

Warblade based Classes:
Berserker: A raging monster, with devastating abilities to kill and maim, but who lacks self-control. The Berserker has a rage ability similar to those of barbarians, but he has a much harder time to control it.
Bravo: The Bravo fights more with grace than with force. He is a light armored warrior who is great in maneuvering and dodging. He does not deal as much damage as the other warriors, but he is much harder to hit. As a charming swashbuckler, he got several charisma based abilities.
Weapon Master: While other fighters try to diversify their martial abilities, the Weapon Master concentrates on a single weapon and masters it. Weapon Masters are great fighters, but their martial abilities are bound to their weapon of choice.
Yeoman: The tactician among the warblades. The yeoman is specialized to fight in an open battle and to control the battlefield. He works well in a group and as

Swordsage based classes:
Spirit Warrior: The Spirit Warrior follows a totem spirit who grants him certain powers as long as the spirit warrior behaves accordingly to the totem’s restrictions. Spirit warriors are one of the more feral classes around.
Magehunter: Fighters who excel in the dangerous fight against spellcasters. They are fast and they are trained to kill magicians even faster. Most Magehunters refuse to use magical equipment but their normal abilities are stunningly impressive.

Divine Spellcasters
Spellcasters are both more powerful (due to the greater flexibility of the spell point system) and somewhat weakened by the prolonged casting time and the necessary concentration check to cast spells. Apart from that, they are hardly changed at all, with some minor exceptions.

Clerics: The niche of the holy warrior belongs to the mighty paladin, therefore the clerics are more focused on knowledge and spellcasting and less on fighting. They lose most of their armor proficiency, their hit dice drops a level (to D6/+2) and they get the wizard’s BAB progression, but they get more skillpoints and the spontaneous domain casting ability described in the PHB II. Overall, clerics become more intellectual and less martial. Oh, and Clerics MUST take a god to follow. There are no “concepts” to worship. Their powers are granted to them by one god, and they are bound to worship him, spread his belief, serve him, smite the sinners and convert the heathens. A cleric who refuses to serve his god is a candidate for an Atonement. Clerics gain D6 +Wisdom bonus Spellpoints per level.
Warpriest: For those players who are not happy with the now more intellectual cleric, the warpriest is a viable alternative. He is a sturdy warrior and a powerful spellcaster at the same time, but his spellcasting and turning abilities are considerably weaker than those of regular clerics. The part about servants of a god above is also true for warpriests. Warpriests get D4 + Wisdom bonus spellpoints per level.
Druids: The Druid does not change much; the shapeshift feature from PHB II is obligatory, but still limited by uses/day, and as mentioned above, the Wild Magic Feat does not exist. Druids gain D6 + Wisdom bonus Spellpoints per level.
Feytouched Druid: These druids are more bound to the world of faes than to the natural world. They lose most of their shape changing abilities in exchange for deeper insights in the world of the fey and his primary casting ability is charisma instead of wisdom. Feytouched Druids gain D6 + Charisma bonus Spellpoints per level.
Favorite Soul: I’m not completely sure about it, but probably a class similar to the Favored Soul – meaning a spontaneous divine caster - will be included in the game. But I don’t like the favored soul as written at all, and I’m not sure how to reform the whole thing yet.
Healer: The Healer class as written is not very strong, but after a little thought process, a somewhat better healing class will be involved in the game. Perhaps I will combine this with the idea of a spontaneous divine caster.

Arcane Spellcasters:
Elementarists (Wu Jen): Elementarists are magicians whose powers are based on the four elements. They are somewhat limited in their powers, but I like the flavor. Elementarists are de facto Wu Jen, but with slightly different element traits and without the specific eastern flavor. Elementarists gain D6 + Intelligence bonus Spellpoints per level.
Sorcerer: The sorcerer doesn’t change much, apart from the whole spellcasting system. Sorcerers gain the Eschew Materials Feat as a Bonus Feat on 1st level, but that is mostly a flavor thing, I think. Sorcerers have only access to a very small number of spells, but they have the biggest reservoir of spellpoints. They gain D8 + Charisma bonus spellpoints per level.
Warlocks: I want to include the (or a) warlock in the game, but I’m not yet sure how.
Warmages: As described in Complete Arcane. The warmage’s only change is the regular change of the spellcasting system. They gain D8 + Charisma bonus spellpoints per level.
Wizards: Wizards are not much changed; they can’t eschew materials, and the spellcasting system is completely changed, but that’s almost all - Almost. Wizards must specialize in one of the eight schools. There are no generalist wizards. Wizards gain D6 + Intelligence bonus Spellpoints per level.

Adventurer classes
There are those classes who are neither spellcasters (or at least not very powerful spellcasters) nor primary fighters (even though they can certainly fight).
Most notably, this are bards, rogues and rangers.
Bards: Admittedly, the bard was the class I had the most difficulties to reform. Since I haven’t found a satisfying solution yet, Bards stay mostly as they are, but get 2 additional skill points and a bonus feat every five levels. Bards gain 1+ Charisma bonus Spellpoints per level.
Rangers: Rangers get a lot of specific features and abilities, specialized in one of several different paths (it’s effectively an Ultimate Ranger I found in the internet, but I’m feeling gracious and add an additional sneak attack like ability). A variety of the rangers exchange their spellcasting ability against a limited access to martial art abilities. Starting on 4th level, rangers get their wisdom bonus (at least one) points added to his spellpoint pool on every even level (4, 6, 8…).
Rogues: like the Ranger the Rogue becomes ‘ultimate’ and has therefore a very broad spectrum of abilities to chose from. As a result of the lower hitpoints, Sneak attack is somewhat nerfed; instead of an increasing number of d6’s, the rogue adds his class level to the damage when he sneak attacks and has the ability to do so.
Hexblade/Duskblade: Like the Warlock, some kind of fighter/magicoian crossbreed is planned but not yet implemented. I plan to transmogrify both classes into one.

Hitpoints
A character’s hitpoints are not determined by rolling any dice. Instead, a fixed and somewhat lower amount of hitpoints every level. The starting amount of hitpoints does not change. The Constitution bonus is still added to the gained amount of hitpoints per level.
Hitpoints
{table=head]hit dice|hitpoints/level
d4|+1
d6|+2
d8|+3
d10|+4
d12|+5[/table]

Additionally, Hitpoints are scaled by size. Larger creatures are tougher than smaller ones. Every character will get at least 1 hp per level, no matter what. The Hitpoints of monsters are scaled that way as well.

Defense and Armor
There is no AC. Instead, there is a defense bonus based upon either the BAB or the Reflex Save plus the dexterity bonus. This Bonus is added to a normal roll, like a Save where the attack roll is the DC. Shields, Dodge and Deflection bonus increases the defense. Armor, however, does not.
Defense:
BAB or Reflex Save +Dexterity + other Bonus (e.g. Shields)+ Size Modifier+D20

Flatfooted: When caught flatfooted, only half the Defense bonus is applied to the Defense check.
Touch Attack: Touch attacks give a flat +4 bonus to hit.

Armor gives Damage Reduction equal to its former AC. So does natural armor and all stuff, which is not better suited to give a defense bonus. Armor enchantments increase the armor’s DR.

Spellcasting
Instead of a fixed number of spellslots, spellcasters get a number of spellpoints which can be distributed among his or her spells. Casters who have to prepare their daily spells still afford to do so. Three spellpoints can be three level 1 spells as well as one level 3 spell. Every spell takes his level of spellpoints to be casted, cantrips or other Level 0 spells count as 0.5 spell points. The number of spellpoints which can be channeled per turn are limited though, therefore more powerful spells need a longer time to be casted.

{table=head]Class Level|Channeling (Full Casters)
1-5|1/turn
6-10|2/turn
11-15|3/turn
16+| 4/turn[/table]

{table=head]Class Level|Channeling (Weak Casters)
1-7|1/turn
8-14|2/turn
15+|3/turn[/table]

A 15th level wizard (spelllchanneling 3/turn) could cast a lvl. 3 spell every turn, a lvl. 4,5 or 6 spell in two turns or a lvl. 7 spell in three turns.

Spellpoint channeling is a Standard Action. Metamagic Feats need as many spell points as their modified level indicates. The Quicken Spell Feat doesn’t exist.

Spellcasting needs a Concentration check to be successful. The DC of these checks is 12+Spell level. If the check fails by 5 or less points, the spell is just not casted and the caster can try again next turn. If the check fails by a margin of 6 or more, the spell is fizzled and the invested spellpoints are wasted. Armor Check penalties are applied to these checks, but the Arcane Spell Failure Chance plays no role anymore (divine spellcasters are effected by armor as well as arcane ones).
Spellpoints are gained like hitpoints in Core, meaning somewhat random. A typical full caster would get 1D6 + ability bonus spellpoints per level. This is maximized at 1st level.
Spellpoint regeneration: Per day, a spellcaster regenerates his caster level + main ability plus 1D4 per hour of meditation (this does not include sleep). For example, a lvl. 15 wizard with Intelligence 18 would regenerate 19 (15+4) spellpoints per day, +3 d4 if he meditates for three hours.
To enter a full spellcasting class, you need a specific feat (called the Gift), which must be taken at 1st level.

Damage Steps and Wounds
The more a character is injured the harder it gets for him to fight on. There are for different damage steps which brings penalties to all throws, checks and saves (including damage) based upon the relation of total hitpoints to suffered damage.

{table=head]Damage Steps|Penalties
Full Hitpoints (unharmed)|None
¾ of Hitpoints left (Hurt) |-1
½ of Hitpoints left (Wounded)|-2
¼ of Hitpoints left (Mauled)|-3[/table]

Example: A knight with 40 total hitpoints takes a heavy hit by an ogre’s club, dealing him 11 points of net damage. His Hipoints sink under the ¾ margin, and he suffers a –1 penalty to his throws.

Due to the lower total hitpoints, the massive damage rule is ignored.

Alignment
The alignment system is completely ignored. Anyone who tries to argument with childish terms like good or evil is to be undressed covered in mustard and tossed into the next dog pound. Instead, characters can take a code of honor. There are three levels of codes of honor, minor, significant and greater codes. A code of honor bring 5/7/10 commandments the character must uphold, but ass long as he do so, he gets a bonuis of 1/2/3 points to his Will saves, and because a person of honor is considered to be more trustworthy than a dishonorable person, they can add the same bonus to fitting social skill checks (Diplomacy, Gather Information and Sense of Motive).
Instead of “good” or “evil” spells, those spells are applied to Living Beings like protection from living”, or Detect Living” or unliving beings (e.g. undeads or outsiders).

{table=head]|Number of Commandments|Bonus to Will Saves/Social Skills
Minor|5|+1
Significant|7|+2
Greater|10|+3[/table]

Equipment and Treasure
The amount of treasure is halved, as well as the wealth per level. There are no possibilities to buy magical items, only custom made and to the double listed prices. If you want to have a specific magical item, you should have an equivalent fancy (read: of the same level and value) one to trade. The experience costs of item creation is doubled, Magical oils and potions arte the exception though; neither the price nor the availability of these consumables are changed.
Combined with the additional powers due to the heroic paths and the generally more powerful classes and races, the characters are roughly as strong as before, but less dependant from their equipment. The character and not what he or she is carrying is the important part. Spellcasters are much less dominant, martial cloasses are stronger. Over all, the game is somewhat more ballanced.

Small Stuff
All characters are considered to be illiterate as long as they don’t have ranks in Decipher Script. They can read one script per rank in Decipher script.

Every character speaks as many additional languages as his Intelligence bonus indicates. This is a necessity, because the oversimplified languages were exchanged for a more plausible number of different dialects and languages.

As a result of the lower total amount of hitpoints, the effect of all healing spells is scaled down by two steps (e.g. D8s become D4s).

Sneak Attack gives a flat +2 damage bonus/ level instead of a dice. This is a necessity because of the reducved hitpoints.

Critical Hits are dependant on the success margin, not the rolled number. A hit is considered to be critical if the margin is ten or more, -1 per additional point of thread range (e.g. a keen scimitar would only need a 6 point margin to score a critical hit).

The Wild Magic Feat does not exist. Eschew Materials becomes a sorcerer class trait instead of a freely accessible feat.

Spells who are known for their imbalance are either banned from the game or somewhat weakened, e.g. with reduced durations or durations dependent from the invested spell points. The following spells are banned: Ropetrick, Mage’s Magnificent Mansion, Baleful Polymorph, Polymorph any object.
The Duration of the spells Alter Self is reduced to 10 rounds/level (and can be extended for 2 additional rounds per additional invested spellpoint). The duration of Polymorph is reduced to 1 round/level, +1 round per invested spellpoint. Both spells are considered to be one level higher.

Triaxx
2007-11-30, 06:03 PM
Facing- 60% rule.

Specifically when using facing rules, a character can only see 60% of the surroundings. Looking straight forward means you can see the left and right squares, but are denied Dex bonuses to attacks from them. Turning slightly means you can see one, but are open to Sneak Attacks from the other.