PDA

View Full Version : Permanent Antimagic field

Confused Dad
2022-05-30, 12:29 PM
Is there. RAW method for a PC to create a permanent Antimagic Field? I’m thinking of creating a prison of sorts for very dangerous humanoids without permanently destroying any magic items that they have.

Jervis
2022-05-30, 12:53 PM
5e doesn’t have many means of making permanent anything outside of dm fiat and fabricate. Wish exists but 33% chance of mega sucking. There is however the Imprisonment spell which is about as close as you can get to my knowledge

Khrysaes
2022-05-30, 12:54 PM
I dont think so RAW. But in faerun and other setting there are/were dead magic zones. I dont know how their lore changed post spellplague and second sundering(which preludes 5e). They would make for a good anti magic prison area. I know silverymoon had one where they held meeting.

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Dead-magic_zone

Jervis
2022-05-30, 12:58 PM
I dont think so RAW. But in faerun and other setting there are/were dead magic zones. I dont know how their lore changed post spellplague and second sundering(which preludes 5e). They would make for a good anti magic prison area. I know silverymoon had one where they held meeting.

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Dead-magic_zone

Could also just planeshift them to Ed Greenwood’s house. That place might be a magical realm but earth in general seems to be a dead magic zone.

Pyrophilios
2022-05-30, 03:25 PM
Not exactly what you are looking for, but there is the spell Hallow, that creates a permanent silence effect

Otherwise, use Sequester on a Beholder and use it's 150 ft antimagic cone as you see fit.

Confused Dad
2022-05-30, 07:21 PM
Ed Greenwood? English translation??

Sequester is a good idea. Do you have a pet beholder? Must be willing. Also, character is Divine Soul Sorcerer/Warlock. 3 spell lists and cannot use wizard only spells.

InvisibleBison
2022-05-30, 07:25 PM
How is it that you are able to imprison these guys but you aren't able to disarm them?

Jervis
2022-05-30, 07:59 PM

Sequester is a good idea. Do you have a pet beholder? Must be willing. Also, character is Divine Soul Sorcerer/Warlock. 3 spell lists and cannot use wizard only spells.

Ed Greenwood is a writer who more or less created the forgotten realms, and has the honor of having possibly the most favorable and short sighted contract even written. He’s also cannon in the forgotten realms as a friend of every epic level archmage with access to a spelljammer.

Psyren
2022-05-31, 11:20 AM
Ed Greenwood is a writer who more or less created the forgotten realms, and has the honor of having possibly the most favorable and short sighted contract even written.

Okay, this I'd like to know more about, if you'd want to elaborate :smallbiggrin:

Jervis
2022-05-31, 02:23 PM
Okay, this I'd like to know more about, if you'd want to elaborate :smallbiggrin:

Ever read Forgotten Realms lore and see things like Dominatrix Drow, nudist Vikings, and the massive number of cleric orders that read like they came from a certain infamous 3.5 third party source book and wonder why they’re there? Well the answer is none other than Ed Freaking Greenwood. The dude sold the Forgotten Realms as a setting to TSR in the 80s for chump change. Sound bad? Well no because the contract they wrote with him was so hilariously one sided in Ed’s favor that you wonder how the lawyers of TSR at the time ever signed off on it. Well since TSR was sold Wizards is the one dealing with that legendary contract now.

To sum it up to the best of my understanding. Everything Ed reveals about the setting is canon and must be treated as such, even if it is later retconed. They have to consult him on any changes to the setting they make, though not always listen admittedly. They have to publish at least one forgotten realms book written by him every year, be it source book, novel, or what have you. And if they change any of this then they loose the rights to the forgotten realms and Ed gets his setting back.

Psyren
2022-05-31, 03:47 PM
Ever read Forgotten Realms lore and see things like Dominatrix Drow, nudist Vikings, and the massive number of cleric orders that read like they came from a certain infamous 3.5 third party source book and wonder why they’re there? Well the answer is none other than Ed Freaking Greenwood. The dude sold the Forgotten Realms as a setting to TSR in the 80s for chump change. Sound bad? Well no because the contract they wrote with him was so hilariously one sided in Ed’s favor that you wonder how the lawyers of TSR at the time ever signed off on it. Well since TSR was sold Wizards is the one dealing with that legendary contract now.

To sum it up to the best of my understanding. Everything Ed reveals about the setting is canon and must be treated as such, even if it is later retconed. They have to consult him on any changes to the setting they make, though not always listen admittedly. They have to publish at least one forgotten realms book written by him every year, be it source book, novel, or what have you. And if they change any of this then they loose the rights to the forgotten realms and Ed gets his setting back.

Ha! Bet they're really hoping FR drops in popularity in that latest survey.

Sigreid
2022-05-31, 09:55 PM

To be fair, if I poured my heart, soul and perversions into a setting that became insanely popular; I'd want to maintain as much creative control over it as I could while profiting off it.

Damon_Tor
2022-05-31, 10:03 PM

Petrify would work fine, no willingness needed.

Sigreid
2022-05-31, 11:00 PM
Can't cast spells without hands or tongues. Regeneration can set them right if/when the sentence is over. hehehe

Chronos
2022-06-01, 03:21 PM
Quoth Sigreid:

To be fair, if I poured my heart, soul and perversions into a setting that became insanely popular; I'd want to maintain as much creative control over it as I could while profiting off it.
Oh, sure, I'd want that, too. The fact that Greenwood wanted to maintain control isn't what's notable here. What's notable is that they let him.

To the OP, the usual way in 5e for a spell to be made permanent is to cast it on the same area every day for a year. Antimagic Field isn't one of the spells that's specified for, but it probably wouldn't break anything to houserule it in.

Although, come to think of it, by default the field is centered on the caster, not on a set location... That'd also need some sort of houserule, and that might break something.

Sigreid
2022-06-01, 04:40 PM
Oh, sure, I'd want that, too. The fact that Greenwood wanted to maintain control isn't what's notable here. What's notable is that they let him.

To the OP, the usual way in 5e for a spell to be made permanent is to cast it on the same area every day for a year. Antimagic Field isn't one of the spells that's specified for, but it probably wouldn't break anything to houserule it in.

Although, come to think of it, by default the field is centered on the caster, not on a set location... That'd also need some sort of houserule, and that might break something.

If you have a hot enough property you can. That's why JK Rowling got to have so much control over the Harry Potter movies. It was already a billion dollar property and she didn't really need the studio at all.

Jervis
2022-06-01, 04:51 PM

Oh I can’t blame him at all. I just respect how much of a mad lad the man was to end up getting a contract that favorable. Most people don’t get as good a deal.

Especially notable now with DL and spelljammer creators not so much as being spoken too when the new books were announced, meanwhile Greenwood is legally guaranteed to at least have his opinion heard.