PDA

View Full Version : great spells for a lowish WIS moon druid

da newt
2022-05-31, 08:37 AM
Lv 13, any book.

Along with the obvious summons / conjures, spike growth, fog cloud, goodberry and other heals, what are your favorite druid spells that don't require a high save / to hit for effectiveness?

It's a big party with no real niche holes, but I like the idea of control effects ...

x3n0n
2022-05-31, 09:13 AM
Lv 13, any book.

Along with the obvious summons / conjures, spike growth, fog cloud, goodberry and other heals, what are your favorite druid spells that don't require a high save / to hit for effectiveness?

It's a big party with no real niche holes, but I like the idea of control effects ...

These may be on your implied list, but pass without trace is great on any party, and plant growth gives you that battlefield control (via super-difficult terrain) without save or concentration, which you can drop in the first turn of combat if you haven't transformed already. Similarly bones of the earth, which lets you shape the battlefield without concentration (and can apply a painful Dex save under some circumstances).

If you have the time, move earth does quite a bit.

nickl_2000
2022-05-31, 09:21 AM
Just a few that I haven't seen mentioned

1: Absorb Elements, Detect Magic, Longstrider
2: Heat Metal
3: Walls, Water Walk, Water Breathing
4: Polymorph, Stoneskin
5: Wall of Stone
6: Heroes Feast
7: Draconic Transformation

Personally I would lean into Rituals, Wall of Stone, Pass without a Trace, and Polymorph.

Burley
2022-05-31, 10:13 AM
I've gotten a lot of mileage out of Moonbeam. It's radiant damage in an area that can be moved and "shapechangers" get disadvantage on the role. It's surprising how many enemies are actually "shapechangers." Just keep in mind that your DM may flip the script on you, since you can change shape, even though you don't have the "shapechanger" creature subtype.

RogueJK
2022-05-31, 10:17 AM
I'd skip the Summon Beast/Fey/Elemental/Draconic Spirit spells, unless you just want a "meat shield". These Summon X spells do rely on your WISMOD for the summoned creature's attack bonus.

You'd be better off with the Conjure X spells (Conjure Animals/Woodland Beings/Fey/Minor Elemental/Elemental), which use the summoned creatures' standard stat blocks and don't rely on your WIS. Same with Giant Insect and Polymorph.

Other useful non-WIS-dependent Druid spells not already mentioned:
1: Protection from Good/Evil
2: Enhance Ability, Enlarge/Reduce (when used to buff an ally), Heat Metal (when cast on an enemy wearing metal armor)
3: Dispel Magic (when upcast appropriately), Plant Growth, Protection from Energy, Sleet Storm (even though the Prone effect is unlikely to stick, it's still an 80' radius of difficult terrain that's heavily obscured and forces repeated Concentration checks)
4: Fire Shield, Freedom of Movement, Guardian of Nature

Also, you might take a couple "save for half" damage spells like Cone of Cold or Wall of Fire. Even if they're likely to make their saves, half damage is still something. Especially with the bigger damage dice spells.

For battlefield control spells specifically, you still have a few non-WIS-dependent options with stuff like Fog Cloud, Plant Growth, Sleet Storm, Spike Growth, and Wall of Stone.

sithlordnergal
2022-05-31, 02:03 PM
As a Moon Druid I'd suggest the following:

---Level 1---

Absorb Elements
Beast Bond
Healing Word
Protection from Evil and Good
Detect Magic
Longstrider
Speak with Animals

---Level 2---

Augury
Beastsense
Darkvision
Enlarge/Reduce, specifically the Enlarge portion
Heat Metal
Lesser Restoration
Pass Without Trace
Warding Wind

---Level 3---

Aura of Vitality
Conjure Animals
Dispel Magic
Meld into Stone
Plant Growth
Protection from Energy
Speak with Plants
Water Breathing
Wind Wall

---Level 4---

Conjure Minor Elementals
Conjure Woodland Beings
Fire Sheild
Freedom of Movement
Giant Insect
Guardian of Nature
Polymorph
Stone Shape

---Level 5---

Conjure Elemental
Control Winds
Greater Restoration
Mass Cure Wounds
Transmute Rock
Wall of Stone

---Level 6---

Bones of the Earth
Conjure Fey
Heal
Heroes' Feast
Investiture of Flame
Investiture of Ice
Move Earth
Primordial Ward
Wind Walk

---Level 7---

Draconic Transformation
Mirage Arcane
Reverse Gravity

Urbanmech
2022-05-31, 03:26 PM
Never underestimate the ability of an upcast Fog Cloud to shut down casters and ranged enemies. An extra 20’ radius per spell level is huge. Any of the Druids battlefield control spells are fantastic and don’t depend on a high wisdom score. Heat Metal is also good and can make any metal wearing opponent really sad. Transmute Rock is also fantastic and doesn’t use your concentration.

da newt
2022-05-31, 03:57 PM
Excellent - keep them coming.