PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Earth Magic, Expanded! (Sorcerery, Revised!) PEACH

GalacticAxekick
2022-05-31, 02:04 PM
As I wrap up my project to make martial characters more versatile, I'm returning to an older and larger project of expanding 5e's spell list. Today, I want to dramatically expand the variety of earth-related spells 5e offers. And as a vehicle for this update, I'm revising the Unearthed Arcane Stone Sorcerer. Here are my design goals:
Write enough earth spells that a spellcaster could learn nothin but earth spells up to 20th level and still have room to choose between spells.
Write a good enough variety of earth spells that a spellcaster could learn nothing but earth spells up to 20th level without feeling like they sacrificed mechanical power to play their theme.
Rewrite the Stone Sorcerer to ONLY have access to earth spells (like an Earthbender in Avatar, for example)

Eventually, I want to do the same with Fire, Water, Air, Lightning, and other themes.

This project is just started, so it's 80% unfinished! Let me know what you think of what's already there, and lend me your ideas for what should come next!

Check it out here (https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/h2ItStF8rtIU)

Jervis
2022-05-31, 09:33 PM
I love stepstone. My favorite spell from this.

Frozenstep
2022-06-01, 09:28 AM
While perhaps thematic that all the spells rely on loose earth or having stone nearby, it would end up being a mechanical problem on say, an airship. At best, you might end up with some clumsy gameplay moments of carrying stones in your inventory so you can use spells. Hope you've got a bag of holding.

Maybe have the sorcerer constantly wearing some rock as armor from their first level feature, which they can break off and use for stone toss at least.

GalacticAxekick
2022-06-01, 12:05 PM
While perhaps thematic that all the spells rely on loose earth or having stone nearby, it would end up being a mechanical problem on say, an airship. At best, you might end up with some clumsy gameplay moments of carrying stones in your inventory so you can use spells. Hope you've got a bag of holding.I think it's normal for characters to struggle in some circumstances and thrive in others. Favourable conditions make for triumphant victories, and unfavourable conditions make for interesting puzzles.

"Where can I find earth in this vast wooden cabin? The flower pots! The china cabinet! The marble busts!"

"Where can I find earth on this cruise ship? The coal in the engine! The jewelry on the passengers!"

It's good that you've brought up these limitations, though. At higher levels, the Stone Sorcerer should discover more and more ways to work around them. For example, spells that affect metal, spells that allow them to transport stone more easily, or even spells that let them compact ambient dust into small stones.

Maybe have the sorcerer constantly wearing some rock as armor from their first level feature, which they can break off and use for stone toss at least.Why not just carry a bag of sling stones?

I definitely want to write a spell for stone armor. But that will come at higher levels rather than lower, so I can load it with the nigh-invulnerablity it deserves.

Frozenstep
2022-06-01, 12:36 PM
I think it's normal for characters to struggle in some circumstances and thrive in others. Favourable conditions make for triumphant victories, and unfavourable conditions make for interesting puzzles.

"Where can I find earth in this vast wooden cabin? The flower pots! The china cabinet! The marble busts!"

"Where can I find earth on this cruise ship? The coal in the engine! The jewelry on the passengers!"

It's good that you've brought up these limitations, though. At higher levels, the Stone Sorcerer should discover more and more ways to work around them. For example, spells that affect metal, spells that allow them to transport stone more easily, or even spells that let them compact ambient dust into small stones.

Why not just carry a bag of sling stones?

What you're saying works really well for a tv show, but I'm not 100% sure it works so well at the table. If the DM needs to stop and think "is there enough 'loose earth' in a flower pot to cast desert wind? Can a piece of china really count as 'loose earth'?", it can slow down the game. And as fun as puzzles are, forcing the DM to design those puzzles in might be a bit...demanding? It wouldn't be a big deal, but it seems like it could be annoying when the player has to constantly ask for sources of loose dirt, and if they don't get an instant yes, they'll have to start asking if there's any potted plants, china, statues...

Maybe it's just me, but I could see that being annoying? Unless the DM makes it a point to design in a puzzle for the player to get some dirt, they're probably just going to come up with some excuse for some dirt to be there to use some of these spells.

Does the ammo for slings even weigh 1 pound? The fact that I even need to ask that makes this mechanic feel a bit clumsy, stonetoss needing stones of a specific weight (at least 1 pound) means it'll usually be easiest just to bring your own rocks, but now you've got to keep like 20 rocks in your inventory, and restock them (are stores going to sell just plain rocks...?) or gather them on your own. It just sounds like weird busywork you'd have to do to play the class.

Edit: Not that it's all that different from restocking arrows, just that it's not already there in the book. How long does it take to gather rocks from X terrain? How much would a shop sell some for? I've seen a few classes that have their own unique ammo for guns or whatever, and usually the class has a built-in feature for crafting such things because otherwise it's up to the DM to come up with stuff for how the class is supposed to function.

GalacticAxekick
2022-06-01, 02:02 PM
Does the ammo for slings even weigh 1 pound? The fact that I even need to ask that makes this mechanic feel a bit clumsy, stonetoss needing stones of a specific weight (at least 1 pound) means it'll usually be easiest just to bring your own rocksThe ammo for a sling is probably under 1 pound. You're right! I'll edit the description of Stonetoss so that you can fling any stone under 5 pounds.

but now you've got to keep like 20 rocks in your inventory, and restock them (are stores going to sell just plain rocks...?) or gather them on your own. It just sounds like weird busywork you'd have to do to play the class.If you're in the woods, plains, deserts, mountains, or coasts beach, you can't walk 5 feet without finding a rock. If you're in a city or a dungeon, you can dislodge bricks or cobblestones to fling as part of the same spell.

Restocking rocks and collecting new ones is so easy that I would never ask a player to keep track of their ammo, unless they were on a ship or indoors.

Even then, ranged weapon users have always needed to keep like 20 pieces of ammunition in their inventory and restock them. Their players have always needed to either buy new ammo, recover old ammo from the battlefield, or ask the DM to disregard ammo. So I don't see how it's a problem for a Stonetoss user to need 20 pieces of ammunition that is free and abundant.

What you're saying works really well for a tv show, but I'm not 100% sure it works so well at the table. If the DM needs to stop and think "is there enough 'loose earth' in a flower pot to cast desert wind? Can a piece of china really count as 'loose earth'?", it can slow down the game.There's more than enough loose earth in a flowerpot for Desert Wind. A piece of china does not count as loose earth, but certainly counts as a stone. The DM should not need to think about these things. If they are unclear, I can try to phrase the spells more clearly.

And as fun as puzzles are, forcing the DM to design those puzzles in might be a bit...demanding? It wouldn't be a big deal, but it seems like it could be annoying when the player has to constantly ask for sources of loose dirt, and if they don't get an instant yes, they'll have to start asking if there's any potted plants, china, statues...

Maybe it's just me, but I could see that being annoying? Unless the DM makes it a point to design in a puzzle for the player to get some dirt, they're probably just going to come up with some excuse for some dirt to be there to use some of these spells.I'm using the word puzzle loosely. As the DM, you don't need to specifically plan out every intricacy of the challenge. It's enough to describe the scene and let the player take advantage of whatever they notice. For example:

DM: "You barge into the dining room of the mansion, where Lord Bigbad is preparing for dinner. It is roughly 30 by 60 feet, with a table 10 feet wide and 30 feet long stretching down it's center, and Lord Bigbad and his butler at the far end. The table is set with chairs, napkins, cutlery, fine china, and wine, but the food has not yet arrived. On one long wall hangs portraits of the many historical lords of this household, while the other long wall is a great window overlooking the estate's yard a few stories below. Between each portrait is a little potted plant."

Sorcerer: "I cast Stonetoss to fling a plate at the butler."
"I cast Desert Wind to create a cloud around that flower pot nearest to Bigbad"
"How high up are we? I want to grapple Bigbad and charge through the window so we can take this fight to the yard!"

Frozenstep
2022-06-01, 02:15 PM
Even then, ranged weapon users have always needed to keep like 20 pieces of ammunition in their inventory and restock them. Their players have always needed to either buy new ammo, recover old ammo from the battlefield, or ask the DM to disregard ammo. So I don't see how it's a problem for a Stonetoss user to need 20 pieces of ammunition that is free and abundant.

I guess my main thing is if the class uses an unusual type of ammo, that the class feature should clearly state how to get more of that ammo. Dropping the requirements on rocks being a pound or more helps a lot, but it might still help to still make sure it's clear from the writing that gathering and carrying around stones is expected and should be easy to do.

There's more than enough loose earth in a flowerpot for Desert Wind. A piece of china does not count as loose earth, but certainly counts as a stone. The DM should not need to think about these things for more than a second, but if they are unclear, I can try to phrase the spells more clearly.

Yeah, as long as it's instantly clear just how generous it's supposed to be, it should be fine. "loose earth" is really vague, it might even be worth its own definition section just to help give the players and DM's ideas for what this class is really allowed to do.

GalacticAxekick
2022-06-01, 02:43 PM
I guess my main thing is if the class uses an unusual type of ammo, that the class feature should clearly state how to get more of that ammo. Dropping the requirements on rocks being a pound or more helps a lot, but it might still help to still make sure it's clear from the writing that gathering and carrying around stones is expected and should be easy to do.I've added text saying "such as a brick, a cobblestone, or a sling bullet that you carrying in a pouch" to Stonetoss. Does that make it clear how to identify small rocks?

Yeah, as long as it's instantly clear just how generous it's supposed to be, it should be fine. "loose earth" is really vague, it might even be worth its own definition section just to help give the players and DM's ideas for what this class is really allowed to do.I've added text saying "such as sand, soil or mud" to all of the loose earth spells. Is that clear?

Frozenstep
2022-06-01, 03:01 PM
I've added text saying "such as a brick, a cobblestone, or a sling bullet that you carrying in a pouch" to Stonetoss. Does that make it clear how to identify small rocks?

I've added text saying "such as sand, soil or mud" to all of the loose earth spells. Is that clear?

Those both help a lot. Maybe a bit more about the loose earth in regards to how much is needed though. If someone threw a potted plant the size of my hand at a large creature so that it broke and spilled soil on them, could I then cast sinkhole on them? If a DM finds that immersion breaking but a player thinks it should work, it could be a source of frustration.

GalacticAxekick
2022-06-01, 03:16 PM
Those both help a lot. Maybe a bit more about the loose earth in regards to how much is needed though. If someone threw a potted plant the size of my hand at a large creature so that it broke and spilled soil on them, could I then cast sinkhole on them? If a DM finds that immersion breaking but a player thinks it should work, it could be a source of frustration.Obviously there has to be enough earth for the creature to sink into. So no, you could not cast sinkhole in this scenario.

Would you like me to specify that the earth must be, say, at least 1 foot deep?

Frozenstep
2022-06-01, 07:30 PM
Obviously there has to be enough earth for the creature to sink into. So no, you could not cast sinkhole in this scenario.

Would you like me to specify that the earth must be, say, at least 1 foot deep?

If one foot is all it takes to sink whatever you can target with that spell, then yes.

GalacticAxekick
2022-06-08, 02:19 AM
I've dramatically expanded the list of earth spells and write all but the final Stone Sorcerer feature!

Please, let me know what you think, and let me know what I can add to make the spell list fuller and to complete the subclass!

sandmote
2022-06-14, 08:36 PM
I'd take the last line of Launchpad and make it into its own spell. That way the effect not causing damage is based on your actions, rather than a choice you make after having cast an instantaneous spell. Something like this:

Earth Pad
1st level transmutation
Casting Time: Reaction (which you take when you or a creature within 90 feet of you falls)
Range: 90 feet
Components: V, S
Duration: 1 Round
An area of earth and stone on the ground in a 20-foot square starting from a point within range becomes soft and comfortable. For the duration, a creature that falls onto the ground in the area takes no falling damage and can land on its feet. If a creature falls on top of a creature standing in the area, the falling damage is halved instead.

GalacticAxekick
2022-06-14, 08:57 PM
I'd take the last line of Launchpad and make it into its own spell.Launchpad was balanced against Vortex Warp, which teleports a willing target within 90 feet of you to any other surface within 90 feet of you. Going from a teleport to a jump that only works on certain terrain is already a serious downgrade, which the offensive option is meant to compensate for.

I worry that taxing a 1st level spell slot and a reaction to make the jump safe makes the spell no longer worth learning and casting.

That way the effect not causing damage is based on your actions, rather than a choice you make after having cast an instantaneous spell.I don't understand the problem. It's not as if you cast the spell now and resolve the landing one round later. The landing happens immediately when you cast the spell, so you can simultaneously decide whether it is soft or hard.

Earth Pad
1st level transmutation
Casting Time: Reaction (which you take when you or a creature within 90 feet of you falls)
Range: 90 feet
Components: V, S
Duration: 1 Round
An area of earth and stone on the ground in a 20-foot square starting from a point within range becomes soft and comfortable. For the duration, a creature that falls onto the ground in the area takes no falling damage and can land on its feet. If a creature falls on top of a creature standing in the area, the falling damage is halved instead.Its good to have an earth equivalent to Feather Fall! But also very niche. The spell might need something else to stand alone.

sandmote
2022-06-15, 02:03 PM
Launchpad was balanced against Vortex Warp, which teleports a willing target within 90 feet of you to any other surface within 90 feet of you. Going from a teleport to a jump that only works on certain terrain is already a serious downgrade, which the offensive option is meant to compensate for. Acid Arrow isn't a spell I consider good and Scorching Ray is both easier to find targets for and able to split the damage between multiple creatures. But if I'm reading Launchpad correctly, it can deal 9d6 damage on a failed save (average 31.5). That's 50% more than Scorching Ray (average 21) and twice that of Acid Arrow (Average 15, spilt between two turns). It's limited, but its capable of enough damage I didn't realize it was meant to function as a utility spell. Doubling it up for both combat and utility might be a bit much.

Its good to have an earth equivalent to Feather Fall! But also very niche. The spell might need something else to stand alone. If it needs something like that, maybe extend the duration to 1 minute?

GalacticAxekick
2022-06-15, 02:25 PM
Acid Arrow isn't a spell I consider good and Scorching Ray is both easier to find targets for and able to split the damage between multiple creatures. But if I'm reading Launchpad correctly, it can deal 9d6 damage on a failed save (average 31.5). That's 50% more than Scorching Ray (average 21) and twice that of Acid Arrow (Average 15, spilt between two turns). It's limited, but its capable of enough damage I didn't realize it was meant to function as a utility spell. Doubling it up for both combat and utility might be a bit much. Understood. I definitely want it to double as a combat and utility spell. How about I nerf the maximum launch distance and height to 60 feet? This brings the damage down to 6d6 (the same as Scorching Ray) with a couple pros (Dex save instead of attack, knocks target prone) and a bunch of cons (shorter range, only targets creatures that are standing on earth, only targets creatures with 60 feet of airspace overhead, inferior damage type).

If it needs something like that, maybe extend the duration to 1 minute?Realistically, when do you need a patch of ground to be safe to land on for a whole minute? I don't think this buff would ever come up

sandmote
2022-06-15, 03:17 PM
Understood. I definitely want it to double as a combat and utility spell. How about I nerf the maximum launch distance and height to 60 feet? This brings the damage down to 6d6 (the same as Scorching Ray) with a couple pros (Dex save instead of attack, knocks target prone) and a bunch of cons (shorter range, only targets creatures that are standing on earth, only targets creatures with 60 feet of airspace overhead, inferior damage type). That sounds good. Although if there isn't 60 feet of airspace overhead the spell only does reduced damage, but anyway.

Realistically, when do you need a patch of ground to be safe to land on for a whole minute? I don't think this buff would ever come up I was thinking if you want to bring more than 6 creatures down from wherever you're jumping, which is admittedly not a common occurrence.

However, if you're reducing the range of Launchpad to 60 ft., friendly targets will mostly end up within range of Feather Fall anyway. So you could just use the rules of Feather Fall while describing it as softening the ground beneath the target.

Damon_Tor
2022-06-16, 01:33 PM
I have to say I disagree rather strongly with the restriction on the subclass that prevents them from choosing other sorcerer spells. A player who wants to play as a character who only takes explicit geomancy spells is free to do so, but if a player wants a character who has a more volcanic theme, for example, why exactly are they prevented from taking some fire spells? No other sorcerer subclass has a similar restriction. It's seems like theme-police for the sake of theme-police.

GalacticAxekick
2022-06-16, 02:12 PM
I have to say I disagree rather strongly with the restriction on the subclass that prevents them from choosing other sorcerer spells. A player who wants to play as a character who only takes explicit geomancy spells is free to do so, but if a player wants a character who has a more volcanic theme, for example, why exactly are they prevented from taking some fire spells? No other sorcerer subclass has a similar restriction. It's seems like theme-police for the sake of theme-police.I'm in the process of a sorcerer revision wherein every sorcerer subclass has its own spell list.

Sorcery represents magic potential that is innately within you. A Stone Sorcerer should only gain spells that represent the powers afforded to earth elementals. A Draconic Bloodline Sorcerer (for example) should only gain spells that represents the powers afforded to dragons. To learn spells outside of their innate potential is, by definition, wizardry.

The only Sorcerer subclass I plan to leave with unspecialized spell lists are the Wild Magic Sorcerer (who has boundless potential by definition) and the Savant (who will essentially be Wizard who learns magic by intuition instead of study)

That said, I can see how volcanic spells fit under the umbrella of earth magic. When I have the basic earth spells sorted out, I want to give the Stone Sorcerer "expanded spell list" options that represent specialized forms of earth magic. The volcanic expansion will include fire spells. The sand expansion will include wind spells. A metal expansion might include weapon- and armor-themed spells.

Damon_Tor
2022-06-16, 10:08 PM
I'm in the process of a sorcerer revision wherein every sorcerer subclass has its own spell list.

Sorcery represents magic potential that is innately within you. A Stone Sorcerer should only gain spells that represent the powers afforded to earth elementals. A Draconic Bloodline Sorcerer (for example) should only gain spells that represents the powers afforded to dragons. To learn spells outside of their innate potential is, by definition, wizardry.

The only Sorcerer subclass I plan to leave with unspecialized spell lists are the Wild Magic Sorcerer (who has boundless potential by definition) and the Savant (who will essentially be Wizard who learns magic by intuition instead of study)

That said, I can see how volcanic spells fit under the umbrella of earth magic. When I have the basic earth spells sorted out, I want to give the Stone Sorcerer "expanded spell list" options that represent specialized forms of earth magic. The volcanic expansion will include fire spells. The sand expansion will include wind spells. A metal expansion might include weapon- and armor-themed spells.

That's a lot of potential themes and interactions you'll have to think about. And by "a lot" I mean "infinite" because everyone has different ideas about what fits a given concept. Another example: a Warforged geomancer might want to take Alter Self: he's made of stone, it makes sense he could use his geomancy to change his shape and appearance.

GalacticAxekick
2022-06-16, 10:35 PM
That's a lot of potential themes and interactions you'll have to think about. And by "a lot" I mean "infinite" because everyone has different ideas about what fits a given concept.Really? I'd think it's pretty cut-and-dry.

Like, what powers does a dragon have innately? Flight, incredible strength and durability, heightened senses, blindsight, the power to project one form of energy or one substance, and immunity to the harmful effects of that energy or substance. If a spell accomplishes any of those things-- BOOM-- it goes on the Draconic Bloodline Sorcerer list. If a spell does not accomplish any of those things, it does not.

There's exactly one theme to think about--dragons--and no interactions off the top of my head.

Another example: a Warforged geomancer might want to take Alter Self: he's made of stone, it makes sense he could use his geomancy to change his shape and appearance.Alter Self completely changes your appearance so that you are indistinguishable from another person or a member of another race, and provides functional anatomical features like gills.

A Warforged geomancer could conceivable sculpt himself into a new shape, sure. But he would never look like a member of another race (because he would remain made of stone) or have functional gills (not that a Warforged needs to breathe)

If the player wants a restricted version of Alter Self purely for the "sculpt self into new shape" purpose that is compatible with the geomancer theme, the DM can houserule it in. But the spell as written is very easy to write off.

Goobahfish
2022-07-09, 09:14 AM
Lots of neat spells : )

I imagine you will find some of the other elements a bit more challenging. Earth tends to be the most interesting.

GalacticAxekick
2022-07-12, 01:13 PM
Lots of neat spells : )

I imagine you will find some of the other elements a bit more challenging. Earth tends to be the most interesting.I just put together my expansion of air (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?647708-Air-Magic-Expanded!-(-amp-the-new-Air-Sorcerer)-PEACH)! I think it's about as interesting as earth, and not much more challenging, since they're both versatile and abundant elements.

I expect water to be very difficult (because it's versatile, but not abundant) and fire to be EXTREMELY difficult (because it's abundant, but not very versatile). Could I ask you for help with these as I tackle them?

Goobahfish
2022-07-12, 07:12 PM
Could I ask you for help with these as I tackle them?

Of course ^_^

I built an RPG with 6 elements (Fire, Lightning, Force, Air, Earth, Water). Water is... challenging because it is often quite niche. Can be super useful against Fire elementals to just dump water on them. Mist is a thing. Ice is a thing. It depends on how flexible you want to be with your definition of 'element'. Will give thoughts for Air in the Air thread. Earth is a bit longer so will probably do that later (the more comprehensive scrutiny).

Goobahfish
2022-07-12, 09:58 PM
Ok, time for a more thorough commentary:

Cantrips
Mold Earth: Changes are great!

Mud Slide: Nice and simple

Sink Hole: Nice and simple

Stone Fist... well, I like it but it does seem out of step with other cantrips. Adding your ability modifier sounds a lot like Eldritch Blast + two Invocations. For a melee cantrip it isn't OP as such, just a big bang for a small buck.

Stone Toss... as above. Mechanically it is kind of fine because it isn't actually that amazing. 7.5 damage/stone at max. But it is still a bit 'wrong'.

Level 1
Earth Tremor: I nice rework that actually makes sense. (10ft radius on you... like... 1.5 squares or something?)

Landslide: 10 minutes duration? I am not sure what this means.

Move Earth: I like where this spell is headed. It kind of has a very utility-focused vibe. Not sure it belongs at level 1 but I am glad it up-casts.

Quagmire: Big Sink Hole.

Level 2
Boulder toss: I like the ++ nature of the spell. Either attack OR utility.

Launchpad: Nice :smallsmile:

Stepstone: Nice :smallsmile:

Level 3
Earthglide: This really should already be in 5e.

Entomb: An interesting save-or-suck spell. Pretty nice really.

Tremorsense: Could be level 2?

Level 5+
Move Stone: I can't help but feeling this should just be part of the up-cast of Move Earth.
Seismic Fissure: Nice :smallsmile:
Chasm: Upcast of Seismic Fissure?
Chrysopoeia: Lolz

---

Some extra ideas

Pillar of Stone: Create a pillar of stone up to 30 ft high 5x5 ft wide. Concentration, you can reshape it or move it along the ground. Enemies can Dex to avoid being on top.

I think you've covered most of the rest of my spells and more.

You have interestingly missed Wall of Sand.

GalacticAxekick
2022-07-13, 12:15 AM
Cantrips
Mold Earth: Changes are great!

Mud Slide: Nice and simple

Sink Hole: Nice and simpleGlad you like these!

Stone Fist... well, I like it but it does seem out of step with other cantrips. Adding your ability modifier sounds a lot like Eldritch Blast + two Invocations. For a melee cantrip it isn't OP as such, just a big bang for a small buck.

Stone Toss... as above. Mechanically it is kind of fine because it isn't actually that amazing. 7.5 damage/stone at max. But it is still a bit 'wrong'.Two other spells--Shillelagh and Magic Stone--also allow the caster to add their spellcasting ability to damage, and both beat my cantrips in terms of damage. But both also lack some utility (Stone Fist's area control, and Stonetoss's environment manipulation).

If you prefer, I can change Stone Fist and Stonetoss from 1d4 + ability to 1d10.

Level 1
Landslide: 10 minutes duration? I am not sure what this means.Oh! That's a copy-paste error. It should be instantaneous. Thanks for pointing that out, so I can fix it!

Move Earth: I like where this spell is headed. It kind of has a very utility-focused vibe. Not sure it belongs at level 1 but I am glad it up-casts.I'm glad you like it!

Level 2
Boulder toss: I like the ++ nature of the spell. Either attack OR utility.

Launchpad: Nice :smallsmile:

Stepstone: Nice :smallsmile:

Level 3
Earthglide: This really should already be in 5e.

Entomb: An interesting save-or-suck spell. Pretty nice really.I'm glad you like all of these!

Tremorsense: Could be level 2?Both Tremorsense and Clairvoyance allow the player to see through walls, and Clairvoyance is a 3rd level spell, so it follows that Tremorsense would be a 3rd level spell.

Level 5+
Move Stone: I can't help but feeling this should just be part of the up-cast of Move Earth.Originally it was! But then I decided that upcasting Move Earth would increase the area that you target, and so I needed a new spell to change the material.

Seismic Fissure: Nice :smallsmile:
Chasm: Upcast of Seismic Fissure?Reasonable!

Pillar of Stone: Create a pillar of stone up to 30 ft high 5x5 ft wide. Concentration, you can reshape it or move it along the ground. Enemies can Dex to avoid being on top.Bones of the Earth does exactly this, except it creates multiple pillars that cannot be moved around. I guess I could write this in a level or so below Bones of the Earth!

You have interestingly missed Wall of Sand.I didn't miss it. I excluded it. I also excluded Wall of Stone. I didn't include any spells that conjure earth out of thin air: only spells that manipulate the earth available to you.

Breccia
2022-07-13, 01:01 AM
There's better be a "throw stone at some jerk" spell in there!

(reads list)

Not disappointed. But if I may recommend that upcasting bouldertoss also increase the spell's range? It makes sense, it's not like you can hit the same target twice anyhow, and I can't think of a realistic way (evey by magic standards) the same size, same shape rock would do more damage without just going faster = further.

GalacticAxekick
2022-07-13, 01:06 AM
There's better be a "throw stone at some jerk" spell in there!

(reads list)

Not disappointed.LOL glad I could deliver.

But if I may recommend that upcasting bouldertoss also increase the spell's range? It makes sense, it's not like you can hit the same target twice anyhow, and I can't think of a realistic way (evey by magic standards) the same size, same shape rock would do more damage without just going faster = further.That makes perfect sense! 5e convention is that the area of damaging spells never scales: only the damage. This includes projectile spells like Catapult.

But I'm very willing to break that convention with Bouldertoss!

Goobahfish
2022-07-13, 06:17 AM
Two other spells--Shillelagh and Magic Stone--also allow the caster to add their spellcasting ability to damage, and both beat my cantrips in terms of damage. But both also lack some utility (Stone Fist's area control, and Stonetoss's environment manipulation).

If you prefer, I can change Stone Fist and Stonetoss from 1d4 + ability to 1d10.

Oh I see you have already changed them. I didn't really think they were overpowered so much as a bit weird. D10 seems powerful but tbh there are more dangerous cantrips out there so they seem good but not broken.

Bones of the Earth
I must have missed that. Never read the spell before. It is a nice spell. Has a fair bit of utility.

That said, I just have this image of a earthmage riding atop a stone pillar which 'weaves' its way around to either avoid melee attackers or making 'bridges' etc.