PDA

View Full Version : How much damage to destroy a wall?

Greywander
2022-05-31, 10:32 PM
I know there are guidelines for how much AC and HP an object has, but I don't know that those extend to include structures.

I've been working on a homebrew class whose whole schtick is that they can turn into a vehicle that can transport the party, and, at higher levels, becomes large enough to use as a mobile home base. Something you see sometimes in movies or TV shows is a character with the ability to transform into a larger form transforming in a confined space, either with the goal of crushing another character in the same room, or of destroying the surrounding structure (and sometimes both). Usually this comes with great risk, though.

This is something I wanted to include, and currently I have it written such that the DM will just decide how much damage to the surrounding environment is required to create enough space for you to transform, and then you take the same amount of damage. If the damage is too high, you can abort the transformation as a reaction, but you still take some damage (more damage if attempting a larger transformation, from 1d10 for trying to take a medium form all the way up to 8d10 for trying to take a gargantuan form). As for crushing creatures, any creatures in the space your new form will occupy can either be brought safely aboard or pushed in a straight line away from you to the nearest unoccupied space. They have to pass a DEX save or take 1d6 damage for every 5 feet they're pushed, and they automatically fail the save if they get pushed up against a wall or other obstacle before finding an unoccupied space.

I don't see this as being something that gets used often (though walking into the middle of group of enemies and then taking on a larger form sounds like a good way to start a surprise attack), but it seems like exactly the kind of thing that you would use once during a campaign in a really memorable way. I guess what I'm wondering is if the penalty is too soft or too harsh, but I'm just not sure how to determine the amount of damage required to knock over trees or bust down walls.