PDA

View Full Version : Aberrant Mind Sorcerer and Spel Points. Help!

Snig
2022-06-01, 06:34 AM
Hey guys I'm about to play an aberrant mind my new camp aign. My DM has offered to use the variant spell point rule for my character. I've never used it before and between spell points, sorcery points, flexible casting and psionic sorcery I'm overwhelmed to say the least.

Is there any advice or explanations you guys can offer to help me understand and streamline this? Any guides out there?

Thanks in advance!

Dualight
2022-06-01, 06:54 AM
If it is overwhelming, you might want to refuse the offer for spell points.
Just keep in mind that conversion tables between the various resources already exist.
Spell points-> spell slots have a table
Spell slots-> Sorcery points have their own table
Psionic Sorcery(which doesn't kick in before IIRC 6th level anyway, so it might be a long time before it begins to matter) provides its own formula
Flexible casting would be spell points-> spell slot-> sorcery points
I am AFB right now, so this is the best I can do with the question asked.
Also, if it is too overwhelming, why are you going for this character? something less involved might work better for you, then.

Snig
2022-06-01, 07:33 AM
If it is overwhelming, you might want to refuse the offer for spell points.
Just keep in mind that conversion tables between the various resources already exist.
Spell points-> spell slots have a table
Spell slots-> Sorcery points have their own table
Psionic Sorcery(which doesn't kick in before IIRC 6th level anyway, so it might be a long time before it begins to matter) provides its own formula
Flexible casting would be spell points-> spell slot-> sorcery points
I am AFB right now, so this is the best I can do with the question asked.
Also, if it is too overwhelming, why are you going for this character? something less involved might work better for you, then.

I'm pretty set on the character and I consider myself a veteran 5e player. I've just never played with spell points before and trying to get a clear understanding before the game tonight!

Bobthewizard
2022-06-01, 07:58 AM
I wouldn't stress about it too much. It might be a little more bookkeeping but once you figure that out it should be more flexible in play, meaning you don't need to keep track of your spell slots as tightly.

Fortunately the spell point cost and the sorcery point conversion use the same costs. 2 points for a first level spell, 3 for a second, and 5 for a third. So at level 6, for example, you'll have 32 spell points and 6 sorcery points. To cast a spell, use the above cost. To convert sorcery points to spell points, since you also use the same conversion, they can be traded 1 for 1. It takes 5 sorcery points to create a 3rd level spell slot, and the 3rd level spell slot is worth 5 spell points. So 5 sorcery points creates 5 spell points. To convert spell points to sorcery points, use the conversion as if you were casting a spell. So 5 spell points gives you 3 sorcery points.

Now, here is my suggestion for all of this. I would ask if you could just add your sorcery points to your spell points and use them interchangeably. It's a buff, certainly, since it lets you use more metamagic, but if I were to allow spell points, I think it would be ok. And it would be so much simpler. Sorcerers would add their level to their spell points and then could use their spell points to cast spells or use metamagic. Psionic sorcery would then just be the free subtle to those spells, but would cost the same number of spell points as normal.

Segev
2022-06-01, 11:06 AM
Psionic sorcery would then just be the free subtle to those spells, but would cost the same number of spell points as normal.

Is this an intentional nerf after the buff of letting spell points be sorcery points? I'm not saying you shouldn't house rule it that way as part of your package, if so, but I want to point out that Psionic Sorcery actually makes it more efficient to use sorcery points to cast those spells than to convert to spell slots first, because you get 1:1 sorcery points to spell level when you use Psionic Sorcery, in addition to it being a free Subtle, under the base rules.

Bobthewizard
2022-06-01, 02:35 PM
Is this an intentional nerf after the buff of letting spell points be sorcery points? I'm not saying you shouldn't house rule it that way as part of your package, if so, but I want to point out that Psionic Sorcery actually makes it more efficient to use sorcery points to cast those spells than to convert to spell slots first, because you get 1:1 sorcery points to spell level when you use Psionic Sorcery, in addition to it being a free Subtle, under the base rules.

Yes. Because otherwise you could use spell points to cast them for a number of points equal to just the level of the spell. In a spell slot system, you could convert a 3rd level spell slot to 3 sorcery points and then cast a Psionic sorcery spell using sorcery points. But it still costs the same as a 3rd level spell.

If you allowed a 3rd level Psionic sorcery spell to be cast for 3 spell points, it would be a huge buff for those spells since you could cast them for 3 spell points instead of 5. So you could use the five spell points of a 3rd level spell to cast both a 3rd and 2nd level spell. I think this slight nerf to the 6 sorcery points is better than a huge buff to the 32 spell points.

Khrysaes
2022-06-01, 05:18 PM
If the dm says that your spell points are equal to and added to the sorcery points, i.e you gain sorcery points equal to the spell point table and/or 1 per level of sorcerer. then it is strictly better especially at level 6 aberrant mind with the cheaper cost of bloodline spells. If they are still requiring the conversion of spell points to slots to sorcery points, i.e. 2 spell points = one first level spell slot = 1 sorcery point. Then it can allow more higher level spells between rest as your points arent limited as much by spell level, you can also optimize the spellpoint-sorcerypoint coversions, such as how 2 spell points first level spell is 1 sorcery point but 6 spell points is two second level spells so 4 sorcery points.

borg286
2022-06-03, 01:14 PM
I love the point system. It is actually very potent.
This gives you the flexibility you need when you need it.

Check out my renaissance man build. I have a section talking specifically about spell points.
https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...enaissance-Man

The key takeaway is how to best convert spell points into sorcery points. Just remember to always create a 2nd level spell with 3 spell points and then turn that into 2 sorcery points. Even when you get access to 4th level spells. When you get access to 5th level spells and only when you have spent 5 or more sorcery points, then convert spell points into a 5th level slot and then convert it into 5 sorcery points. Using 5th level slots is slightly more effecient than converting through 2nd level spell slots.

You'll need to keep track of 2 pools, sorcery points which will be exclusively used for meta magic, never for creating spell slots. That is what the second pool is for. The Spell point pool gives you the flexibility to either front load with instant novas, or stretch your spells for a dungeon crawl.

With spell slots you can only do up to 3 twin hastes per day. With spell points we can quote Captain America, "I can do this all day" and your team will love you.

Kane0
2022-06-04, 02:03 AM
So how did it go?

I remember this sort of thing coming up when i first started homebrewing the sorcerer, especially confusing when you start abbreviating spell points and sorcery points to SP and... SP.