PDA

View Full Version : old 2e 3.0/3.5 lore question.

Jgosse
2022-06-02, 05:10 PM
I remember reading an older source book that had a chaotic evil god who wanted to destroy all of reality but was trapped by the other gods. any one have any idea what this gods name was and the book?

Tzardok
2022-06-02, 05:23 PM
Sounds like Tharizdun, but he's neutral evil. He's referenced a lot in a whole bunch of different books (in 3.x in Complete Divine and Living Greyhawk) and plays an important role in the adventure Temple of Elemental Evil and its sequels.

Cygnia
2022-06-02, 05:26 PM
Tharizdun (https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Tharizdun). He's in Complete Divine (3.5) on pg123

Jgosse
2022-06-02, 05:37 PM
Sounds right, been over 10 years since I read about it probably closer to 15.

Gemini476
2022-06-02, 08:03 PM
For the Chaotic Evil version of Tharizdun, that's more of a 4E thing? I seem to remember something about how the gods smote him down into the Elemental Chaos and that's how the Abyss was formed. (Say what you will about the rules, but Points of Light had some pretty neat setting details. Shame it never got compiled in any useful way.)

This then continues into 5E where he's still Chaotic Evil but, as others have said, he's Neutral Evil in 3E. Lords of Madness and Dragon #353 have some more stuff on him, by the way, since he's kind of big on Aberrations.

As for older editions, note this weirdness with Against the Giants:

"No, the Elder Elemental God I envisaged as an entity of vaguely Chronos-like sort, a deity of great power but of chaotic sort, and not always highly clever in thought and action. Big T on the other hand is the epitome of pure, reasoning and scheming evil. Eclavdra, being more of the mold of Tharizdun, would prefer to have as "master" a powerful deity she might hope to unfluence, thus the EGG." Gary Gygax ("Col_Pladoh"), 10th January, 2003, Q&A with Gary Gygax Part I, Enworld.

Hence if you're playing in the Forgotten Realms then the Elder Elemental God is Ghaunadaur, a.k.a. The Elder Eye, while The Elder Elemental Eye is Tharizdun. Not at all confusing.

KillianHawkeye
2022-06-03, 09:55 AM
thus the EGG

This might be my favorite typo ever. :smallamused:

Bohandas
2022-06-03, 10:06 AM
That sounds like Tharizdun, but it could also be Apep (3e Deities & Demigods pg 141-142, original Deities & Demigods pg 49)

Gemini476
2022-06-03, 05:04 PM
This might be my favorite typo ever. :smallamused:

Honestly I feel like that's probably autocorrect at that point - I imagine that Ernest Gary Gygax probably wrote "EGG" more than he did "EEG".

(Fun fact: if you look at the map of level 2 of Expedition to the Barrier Peaks, they hid an EGG in there.)

KillianHawkeye
2022-06-04, 07:40 PM
Honestly I feel like that's probably autocorrect at that point - I imagine that Ernest Gary Gygax probably wrote "EGG" more than he did "EEG".

I'm fairly sure Gary Gygax didn't type up his own interview transcription? It's pretty funny regardless of how it happened, though. :smallamused:

Jay R
2022-06-06, 06:44 PM
Whatever he was called then, I would now call him the Snarl.