PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Dorjes

Lhurgyof
2022-06-02, 10:14 PM
I have a couple questions about Dorjes.

Do I need to know the specific power stored on a Dorje to use one without a Use Psionic Device check? Or does it just need to be on my class list? I'm reading contradicting information in different places on the SRD.

Under Dorjes, it says:

Dorjes use the power trigger activation method, so manifesting a power from a dorje is usually a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity. (If the power being manifested has a manifesting time longer than 1 standard action, however, it takes that long to manifest the power from a dorje.) The user must have the power on his class list, even if he knows the command thought. Additionally, to activate a dorje, a character must hold it in hand and point it in the general direction of the target or area to be affected.

Emphasis mine. This seems to match what it says under Use Psionic Device:

Normally, to use a dorje, you must have the dorje’s power on your class power list. This use of the skill allows you to use a dorje as if you had a particular power on your class power list. This use of the skill applies to other power trigger psionic items, if applicable.

Emphasis mine, again.

On the other hand, under Psionic Items, particularly under the Power Trigger section, it says:

This is the activation method for dorjes and psicrowns. It requires the special knowledge of power manifestation that a character of the appropriate class would know, and the formation of the appropriate command thought. If a power is on a character’s power list, the character knows how to use a power trigger item that stores that power. The user must still determine what power is stored in the item before she can activate it. Activating a power trigger item is a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

So, do I need to have said power on my list of powers known, or just my class list?

Venger
2022-06-03, 12:36 AM
Dorjes are wands and work in exactly the same way. You just need it on your class list. You do not specifically need to have it as a power known. It's like a sorcerer using a wand of a sorcerer spell not on his list of known spells.

KillianHawkeye
2022-06-03, 09:52 AM
So, do I need to have said power on my list of powers known, or just my class list?

To clarify, known spells/powers aren't typically described as a list by the game rules. Spell lists and power lists are consistently different things from spells known or powers known.

Also keep in mind that an individual character might have access to powers not just from their class list, but also from their discipline (if Psion) or from mantles or however the Comp Psi classes work. Just like how an individual Cleric might be able to use wands from their domain spells.

Lhurgyof
2022-06-04, 01:41 AM
Interesting. So as long as the power is on the Psion/Wilder list, or on the Nomad list, my nomad would be able to activate a dorje with that power without making a Use Psionic Device check.

However, if he tried to use a power from a dorje that contains a Shaper power or a Psychic Warrior power, I would need to make a DC 20 Use Psionic Device check, correct?

Venger
2022-06-04, 02:33 AM
That is correct.