PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried a genie warlock?

Spacehamster
2022-06-03, 09:55 AM
Repelling + agonizing blast coupled with the dao spell spike growth seems like it could be fun, pop ppl around on spikes, also anyone else thinks it’s strange that you can’t upcast spike growth?

Abracadangit
2022-06-03, 10:31 AM
You think that sounds like fun, get a load of this: there's nothing stopping you from taking the Grasp of Hadar invocation, pushing them over the spikes, then pulling them back over the spikes. And then when you get a third beam, there's nothing stopping you from applying Repelling on beam #3 to push them back over again, like a sadistic eldritch yo-yo. My guess is Spike Growth can't be upcast to avoid hijinks exactly like this.

I played a genielock for a while -- truth be told, I was less into the combat tricks and more into the awesome refluffability of the subclass. It's the one sub (I think?) that comes with its own little pocket dimension hideout. How cool is that!? As long as your DM isn't wedded to the literal description of the area ("cushions," "low tables") in the text, you can go nuts. If you're doing an ice theme, it could be a little snow globe, and your hideout is a little enchanted ice cavern. You could fluff it as a more traditional wizard, and your object could be a book or a tiny clockwork solar system, while your hideout could be a miniature arcane library or a tiny astral observatory or whatever. Possibilities are endless.

The rest of the class reads similarly -- bonus elemental EB damage? A non-Concentration fly speed? Limited Wish, and/or Wish at higher levels? It's just such a wish list (haw haw) of general-purpose cool stuff that, with a chill DM, can be repackaged however you like.

Psyren
2022-06-03, 10:38 AM
Yes, Daolock/Pushlock is fairly well known in the optimization community. Have a (*ducks*) Treantmonk video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twc5bBNDVXA

It is one of the more common Warlock 20 builds seen in optimization circles these days alongside e.g. Fiend.

Yakmala
2022-06-03, 10:41 AM
Also keep in mind that if you go Dao, you can apply the push mechanic of the Crusher feat to your Eldritch Blast. And the push from Crusher can be any direction. So, apply it to the first EB hit, pop the target into the air and then push them higher with repelling blast so they take additional damage from falling.

RazorChain
2022-06-03, 10:43 AM
Played Warlock of the Genie/Aberrant mind sorcerer. Worked out pretty well.

meandean
2022-06-03, 11:08 AM
Also keep in mind that if you go Dao, you can apply the push mechanic of the Crusher feat to your Eldritch Blast. And the push from Crusher can be any direction. So, apply it to the first EB hit, pop the target into the air and then push them higher with repelling blast so they take additional damage from falling.Are you moving underneath the guy after you throw him up in the air? Because Repelling Blast is defined as "away from you in a straight line."

Definitely check with your DM before you build around this...

Phhase
2022-06-03, 11:13 AM
Are you moving underneath the guy after you throw him up in the air? Because Repelling Blast is defined as "away from you in a straight line."

Well, if you combine if with a really cool slide move, where you pop them up, slide underneath, and fire up at them to launch them further, that'd be pretty sweet!

Psyren
2022-06-03, 11:22 AM
I think most build guides assume you're blasting them diagonally upward, which would qualify as "a straight line away from you."

I definitely agree with clearing that tactic with your DM ahead of time however, rather than just springing it on them mid-session.

animorte
2022-06-03, 11:36 AM
Genie is the best subclass! Vessel is fantastic alone, not to mention everything else amazing.

If you want to run a PushLock, you can really do that with any of the subclasses with Repelling Blast.

The real benefit of a PushLock with Repelling Blast is in utilizing positioning and environmental hazards for better battlefield control and damage. A fun way I've done this is with Relentless Hex (basically a free-cost Misty Step as long as you maintain concentration). Can cast Hex on your Chain buddy and have the Imp (or an ally who doesn't mind the ability check disadvantage) and positioning in such a way that you can use bonus action to jump next to them if you need to.

But if you're not locked in with the Genie, there are certainly better builds for keeping the enemy away from you.
- Undead gives lots of extra control in general and solid survivability.
- Fathomless gives you some more area hazard with tentacles that can follow the push around.
- Pact of the Talisman with Rebuke of the Talisman also keeps folks off of you.

Just to emphasize your point further...

I see your most, and raise you all! :smallsmile:

Celestial Generalist
https://i.postimg.cc/5211V7NS/radiant-cleric-of-pelor-by-grandanvil.jpg
VHuman Celestial Tomelock 12
20 Cha / 16 Dex / 16 Con
Moderately Armored (+1 Dex) / +4 Cha (ASIs) / War Caster

Cantrips: Booming Blade, Green-Flame Blade, Eldritch Blast, Mage Hand, Shillelagh, Shape Water (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?481560-Creative-Cantrips-Shape-Water), Guidance, Light, Sacred Flame (Yes, they know 9 Cantrips; 4 base, 2 Celestial, 3 Tome).

Spells: Cure Wounds, Greater Restoration, Revivify, Hellish Rebuke, Synaptic Static, Thunder Step, Hypnotic Pattern, Counterspell, Armor of Agathys, Hex, Misty Step, Mass Suggestion

Invocations: Agonizing Blast, Repelling Blast, Book of Ancient Secrets, Eldritch Sight, Mask of Many Faces, Maddening Hex

Let's go down the checklist!

HEALER? You've got Healing Light (which is like 13 Healing Words a day, or a lesser number of bonus action burst heals), the various status-removal spells, and Revivify. That's pretty much all the important bases. You also can take advantage of your short-rest recharge healing to make the party's breaks more efficient.

DIPLOMAT/SPY/IMPERSONATOR? You have 20 Charisma, the proper proficiencies, Guidance, and Disguise Self at-will (which doesn't even use your Concentration, so you're totally using it in dungeon situations too to surprise or confuse people). Oh, and Mass Suggestion.

THIEF? You can teleport, impersonate easily, have 16 Dex + proficiency in the proper skills, and are the magic detector (I find this comes up a lot when doing second story work). There are also some fun thievery tricks you can do with Shape Water and Mage Hand.

MAGIC DETECTOR? Yep, you've got Eldritch Sight.

RITUAL CASTER? Yep, you've got access to every class's rituals from Book of Ancient Secrets.

ARCHER? You've got a 24-hour Hex and an Eldritch Blast that does 3d10+3d6+15, plus a 30 foot knockback (with no size limit, unlike most knockbacks), and Maddening Hex for a guaranteed-hit 5 damage AoE on top of that. You can just dish out that 47 damage all day. And have fun playing pinball (knock enemy into another enemy, then use the Maddening Hex AoE).

MELEE? You have the AC of a dex fighter, a bonus action heal better than Second Wind, Armor of Agathys, Shillelagh, and Green-Flame Blade that gets buffed by Radiant Soul and your 24-hour Hex. Oh, and War Caster, so if they try to move past you, they get a Booming Blade OA for 6d8+5 (or perhaps something spending an actual spell slot). You also get 16 temp hp every short rest from Celestial Resilience (and your teammates get some too). And if somehow they get through all of that and you need to get out of dodge, you can use Thunder Step to damage them, get out, and rescue a teammate while you're at it!

Someone attacking you in melee could take 25 damage per melee hit from AoA, then take 6d10+5 (38) from Hellish Rebuke, then get whacked by Green-Flame Blade for 3d8+1d6+10 (27) and another 3d8+5 (18.5) to the person standing next to them. Oh, and you have a familiar, so you can make that attack with Advantage.

CONTROLLER? You've got Synaptic Static, Hypnotic Pattern, Mass Suggestion, and 30 foot knockback on your Eldritch Blast. Oh, and moving past you in melee provokes nasty War Caster OAs.

Spacehamster
2022-06-03, 03:15 PM
Also, anyone happen to know if there is a list of “floor hazard” type spells like spike growth floating about the interwebs?

Pixel_Kitsune
2022-06-03, 05:00 PM
I've had a blast with it, but I didn't really play one going super powered.

A Spelljammer/Planescape game I ran had a Noble Efreet who was now neutral instead of evil due to being saved by the human captain. One of the players caught his interest, became friends, and eventually through unrelated issues got sent backwards in time 15 years.

The player of this character decided they wanted to run a prequal set of adventures. After talking to said DM I decided that I was going to play Elahn, the Fire Genasi son of this Noble Efreet who was trying to come into his own power as a Genie. (IE he was a Genie, we just used Fire Genasi as the mechanical chassis for the character)

He still shows up as an NPC in my new games (In fact we ended up writing it that the genie on the boat was actually my character using his dad's name).

He ended up at level 19 (Started as a level 1 Rogue, level 18 Warlock). Fire Genasi Efreeti Genie Warlock, Pact of the Tome.
Skills: Acrobatics, Deception, History, Insight(Expertise), Perception, Persuasion, Sleight of Hand(Expertise), Stealth
Invocations: Agonizing Blast, Beguiling Influence, Book of Ancient Secrets, Far Scribe, Gift of the Protectors, Master of Myriad Forms, Misty Visions, Shroud of Shadows, Visions of Distant Realms

He plays as a Skill Monkey, Party Face who can Eldritch Blast away if he has to, but the Warlock fits well for an illusion master who talks and deceives his way through encounters. The Genie Lamp and the Limited and Regular Wish just supercharge any build you want to aim at.

Ganryu
2022-06-03, 05:14 PM
I played one, it was super strong. I also had a familiar from other means, so infiltration was more or less "Everyone into the lamp. Kitty, get us through the door."

Every part of it is strong.

Extra damage. Can fly. Great escape kit. Limited Wish = GREAT emergency healing options. It's a solid subclass.

I was the 'escape artist'. I.e. most likely to be left to die because they figured I could get out of it. I did, almost every time. Except for the part where we were in the 9 hells... and they literally forgot to pick me up before leaving. My character wasn't happy at that one. Heck, I was a better scout than the monk.

Kane0
2022-06-03, 05:15 PM
Played an efreet genielock as a reflavored witch-shaman that bound a fire elemental to her service, worked really well with the chainlocks 'imp'

Genielock is just a really good default, all-rounder choice. All the tashas patrons are really good honestly.

ChaosStar
2022-06-03, 08:49 PM
I have an Air Genasi Whispers/Genie Bardlock written up. No one to play it with but neat idea. Her patron is her grandfather and she serves him by spying on courts in the Material Plane.

tiornys
2022-06-03, 09:12 PM
Are you moving underneath the guy after you throw him up in the air? Because Repelling Blast is defined as "away from you in a straight line."

If you're 10' away from the target on the initial hit, Crusher moves them up and towards you giving you a 45° angle for Repelling Blast to get them 15' in the air. If you start 15' away you instead get a 30° angle which is good enough to get 10' of total height and score fall damage + prone. From further away you'd need to be able to stack multiple Repelling Blast pushes in order to get them high enough for the vertical displacement to matter, and whether or not multiple Repelling Blasts happen simultaneously is a lot more open to DM ruling.

Sherlockpwns
2022-06-04, 12:24 AM
I’m currently playing one at level 9, starting from 2. It’s been a joy. However I am playing a warlock / swarm ranger with telekinetic for my main bonus action and crusher.

The big things to decide in combat are where to put the trap and how to get yourself into position to snap it shut. I currently run cloud of daggers and spike growth, but my party is still also dropping upcast moonbeams are well.

It’s not unusual to blast an enemy through multiple damages. I even once managed to blast two different targets through two traps each.

That said it’s not invincible. It’s super vulnerable to any str enemy that can get in my face; most recently a demon summoning wizard dropped a freaking barbed devil on top of me. With some bad (for me) rolls on str saves to shove it away from me and it having a higher base speed I had to fight at disadvantage the whole time while this thing made cats cradle with my insides despite my 19ac.

So in general I’ve enjoyed the genie. Also a quick aside: I also survived being crushed bya book shelf because when it fell and pinned me I just escaped into the bottle until someone rescued me. The Dao trapper is a good mix of being powerful but not absolutely broken with a lot of great cinematic scenes of you launching enemies through traps and spells and ledges. I don’t regret cranking it to 11 by taking ranger 3 either. The ability to cast hunters mark when traps don’t work or just some good utility spells is nice, the AC bump is excellent, but my god, there is nothing as funny as launching an enemy 45 ft in a single round. The first time every ability landed the DM had to add more squares to the map. If that sounds fun to you… do it.

Hael
2022-06-04, 12:58 AM
Theyre extremely versatile.

They’re good at the well known push/pull spike growth tricks, but they’re also really solid as a pact of the chain lock. You can use them for summoner builds (as they get easy access to summons transport)

Less well known is that the Efreet makes a very good thorn tank with the right racials and a small dip.

They’re definitely the strongest warlock in the game (outside of the martial niche the hexblade uses)

animorte
2022-06-04, 09:48 AM
They’re definitely the strongest warlock in the game (outside of the martial niche the hexblade uses)
This exactly.

In the campaign with my GenieChainLock pushing everything around, we've been in the the Death Realm. A lot of the opponents we have been facing are under a hivemind-like effect in that once we are discovered in a particular section, they can all communicate telepathically about where we were last spotted and what we have been up to, etc... I locked a bunch of enemies into various bad spots: pushed them into Wall of Thorns (and other similar spell effects), knocked one off a cliff, pushed a few into a well of light that kills instantly, throw them into a pit...

The DM decided that for the duration of the time we were in that section, some of the enemies were aware of what I was able to do and could prepare for it, being allowed a save to resist being pushed back. Depending on how much I had used it and only until we got to the next section.

KorvinStarmast
2022-06-04, 12:13 PM
Yes. Enjoyable. Highly recommended.

I liked that our cleric could sneak me into places that I (a drow) would probably not be welcomed by wearing my ring for a bit (me inside the ring) and then finding a quiet/secluded corner to set the ring down.

I was Dao based.

Greywander
2022-06-04, 08:49 PM
Dao is probably my first pick as well, as bludgeoning is a great choice for both dealing damage and resisting it. Fall damage is bludgeoning, too, so you can survive falls pretty easily.

If you don't have access to Spike Growth, or just don't feel like burning a slot on it, then Create Bonfire can provide similar functionality.

Efreet and marid also have synergy with Draconic sorcerer. Basically, Genie's Wrath adds elemental damage to your EB (to any attack, actually). Dragon sorc's Elemental Affinity adds damage to any spell that deals the right kind of elemental damage. Combine the two and you get the bonus damage from both. It works out to getting about another EB beam's worth of damage. So the first time you hit does about twice as much damage, and as you get more beams your odds of hitting at least once go way up. This is amazing for doing reliable damage. DPR can be pretty swingy depending on how much the dice favor you, but this makes your damage more consistent since the first hit deals almost half your total damage (2/5, actually, but close enough). This was the basis for my own Eldritch Sniper build, maximizing my damage with EB in addition to my range.

Sadly, I haven't gotten a chance to play a warlock of any kind yet. Games are just hard to come by, it seems.

Grod_The_Giant
2022-06-04, 09:27 PM
Vessel is fantastic alone
It really is. My Bladesinger took one level of Genie Warlock for roleplaying reasons, and even as we're hitting 15th level I'm still getting great use out of my Vessel. The ability looks good at first glance, but it's better than you think:

Your vessel is more than twenty thousand cubic feet. It's the size of a house. The only real limit to how much you can cram in there is your carrying capacity.
It's perhaps the most secure storage space in the game. The only way someone else can access the stuff inside is by physically stealing and destroying your vessel. We've spent a good deal of the campaign thus far racing the bad guys to collect artifacts of Unspeakable EvilTM, and having them stolen back was always a concern... until I took that Warlock level.
And if you manage to drag someone else in--knocking them out and carrying their body, perhaps, or shoving them in a portable hole first-- they're screwed. No way out.

animorte
2022-06-04, 10:16 PM
It really is. My Bladesinger took one level of Genie Warlock for roleplaying reasons, and even as we're hitting 15th level I'm still getting great use out of my Vessel. The ability looks good at first glance, but it's better than you think:
This is why I think GenieLock is just about the best possible 1-level dip, provided you have the Cha.

stoutstien
2022-06-05, 05:18 AM
It's probably the best generic lock now. Discounting the blender effects spike growth has with repelling it has a good array of useful tools that always seem to come up. Not a single bad feature which is a rare thing for any option.

Quietus
2022-06-06, 11:35 PM
My wife played one at first level. The only warlock that has a buff to the damage on EB at 1st level felt great.

I'm playing alongside a Zealot Barbarian/Daolock goliath in an AL game, and between extra attack, rage, zealot damage bump, daolock proficiency to damage, and the occasional eldritch smite, he puts out some serious numbers. I think right now he's at a 5/5 split? But this could be easily managed via a 1 level barb dip, get your Warlock levels up to 5, then go back to Barbarian. Once you get Extra Attack there, it frees up one of your invocations.

animorte
2022-06-07, 12:34 AM
My wife played one at first level. The only warlock that has a buff to the damage on EB at 1st level felt great.

This is exactly why I didn't feel the need to immediately rush Agonizing Blast on my build. There are other more useful invocations to help round out your versatility than just damage.

Eldariel
2022-06-07, 01:03 AM
I don't think there's anything stopping you from applying both Repelling and Grasp on each of your EBs and gratering enemy back'n'forth 2-3 times for 4 squares of movement per hit (5 with Crusher). And yeah, Vessel is ripe for Glyph of Warding abuse; it's basically a level 8 spell (Demiplane) on first level for free.

Kane0
2022-06-07, 02:17 AM
This is exactly why I didn't feel the need to immediately rush Agonizing Blast on my build. There are other more useful invocations to help round out your versatility than just damage.

Absolutely, my fire chainlock did the same, not bothering with the EB invocations at all im favor of the familiar boosting ones. Worked out really well when you also make good use of your hideaway (my party just ended up calling it my pokeball)

Quietus
2022-06-07, 08:46 AM
I don't think there's anything stopping you from applying both Repelling and Grasp on each of your EBs and gratering enemy back'n'forth 2-3 times for 4 squares of movement per hit (5 with Crusher). And yeah, Vessel is ripe for Glyph of Warding abuse; it's basically a level 8 spell (Demiplane) on first level for free.

Grasp explicitly says it only works 1/turn.

Eldariel
2022-06-07, 10:51 AM
Grasp explicitly says it only works 1/turn.

Ah yeah, that's fair of course. I thought the recommendation was to push with the first and pull with the second but that might've been my misunderstanding.