PDA

View Full Version : Optimization [3.5] Monster NPC Build

Thurbane
2022-06-03, 04:30 PM
So, using Efreeti as the base, how would you build a CR20 "anti-caster"? The fluff of the character is he travels the planes, punishing mortal casters who bind geniekind into servitude.

I'm thinking Ur-Priest, since nothing can stand up to a caster, like another caster.

So we start with 10 outsider HD for CR 8. 10d8 hp, BAB +10, Fort +7 Ref +7 Will +7; Str +12, Dex +6, Con +4, Int +2, Wis +4, Cha +4.

To get straight into Ur-Priest, would require Bluff 6 ranks , Knowledge (arcana) 5 ranks , Knowledge (religion) 8 ranks , Knowledge (the planes) 5 ranks , Spellcraft 8 ranks. The bolded skills are already "class skills" for the Outsider HD.

The Education (ECS version) feat takes care of the other Knowledge skills. Alternatively, Arcana and The Planes can be purchased as cross-class, and Knowledge Devotion can be used for Religion.

If we were to go straight Ur-Priest 10, that takes us through to CR 18 (although it would be better to PrC out of Ur-Priest if possible, to another full progression PrC maybe?).

I'm thinking maybe martial adept for the last two levels, to take advantage of the higher initiator starting level (with 18 levels/HD, starting IL would be 10, with first initiator class level).

Iron Heart Surge is always beneficial.

Also, having 22 HD, he can take one Epic feat: I was hoping for Automatic Quicken, but the Spellcraft requirement s too high. Automatic Still or Automatic Silent just aren't as appealing. Maybe just Epic Spellcaster for all of it's cheese? Multispell is pretty good, as well.

In short, looking for general advice in building a CR20 Efreeti, advanced by class, to be an "anti-caster".

Usual guidelines for my table: no PF, no 3rd party, no homebrew, no Dragon mag for this one, no Kalamar, Ravenloft (apart from EtCR) or Dragonlance (apart from campaign setting).

Cheers - T

CR
Class
Base Attack Bonus
Fort Save
Reflex Save
Will Save
Skills
Feats
Class Features

Outsider 10

Improved InitiativeB, 1, 3, 6, 9
Change shape, change size, darkvision 60 ft., heat, immunity to fire, plane shift, spell-like abilitiestelepathy 100 ft., vulnerability to cold

Ur-Priest 1

-

Ur-Priest 2

Rebuke undead

Ur-Priest 3

-

Ur-Priest 4

Divine spell resistance 15

Ur-Priest 5

-

Ur-Priest 6

Siphon spell power

Ur-Priest 7

-

Ur-Priest 8

Divine spell resistance 20

Ur-Priest 9

-

Ur-Priest 10

Steal spell-like ability

Warblade 1

Epic
Battle clarity (Reflex saves), weapon aptitude

Warblade 2

Uncanny dodge

Kaleph
2022-06-03, 06:49 PM
Touchstone (inquisition domain) with divine defiance is always a good idea. You may also want to use the divine adaptation of the abjurant champion, but the advantages would be probably marginal at CR 20. Alternatively, take 4 (unassociated) levels of wizard, 2 of ur-priest and 8 of mystic theurge, for more magical goodies and a boost to the ur-priest's CL.

Practiced spellcaster is also recommended, especially if you want to dispel/counterspell. There's an handbook on this topic somewhere on the web, it's full of useful information, regardless of the fact that you want actually to go the divine defiance route, or not.

Going first is important, too, as always. If you really take those wizards levels, then you may use both nerveskitter and sign.

A completely different option would be to go full crusader, with reach weapon, inhuman reach, thicket of blades and mage slayer; being a spellcaster is overall more powerful, though.

pabelfly
2022-06-03, 07:37 PM
I'd work out how to persist Antimagic Field. It's a 6th-level Cleric spell and on a bunch of Cleric domains. If the player summons them with it up, they can hopefully escape any magic binding they'd be in and either dismiss the Field to attack, or get in range of the caster and shut them down.

Saintheart
2022-06-03, 09:14 PM
Just noting in passing that the Efreeti qualifies outright for Abjurant Champion: it's got Combat Casting, it's proficient with all martial weapons as an Outsider, SLAs qualify for prestige classes under Complete Arcane's rules, and while the AbChamp won't advance the arcane spellcasting, there's plenty of abjuration spells in the divine list that'll benefit from the PrC's benefits - Ur-Priest should be able to pull luminous armor, for example.

Doctor Despair
2022-06-03, 10:18 PM
Have you considered using a Seeker of the Song? Their Hymn of Spelldeath is a solid anti-caster aura that affects anyone that can hear them.

Gorthawar
2022-06-04, 03:28 PM
Just noting in passing that the Efreeti qualifies outright for Abjurant Champion: it's got Combat Casting, it's proficient with all martial weapons as an Outsider, SLAs qualify for prestige classes under Complete Arcane's rules, and while the AbChamp won't advance the arcane spellcasting, there's plenty of abjuration spells in the divine list that'll benefit from the PrC's benefits - Ur-Priest should be able to pull luminous armor, for example.

AbChamp can be very nice for divine spells but it could be a bit more tricky to use it with luminous armor being sanctified in this case due to Efreet being normally evil and ur-priest having the evil alignment requirement. Might be a redemption story worth watching.

I'd work out how to persist Antimagic Field. It's a 6th-level Cleric spell and on a bunch of Cleric domains. If the player summons them with it up, they can hopefully escape any magic binding they'd be in and either dismiss the Field to attack, or get in range of the caster and shut them down.

I like the thought behind the AMF but feel that 3 feats and 11 levels of cleric are a lot of investment to then shut down all your own class features and spell like abilities for the whole day.

I always get confused with regional feats so this might not fully work but the idea of a Efreeti Barbarian 1 or 2 / Runescarred Berserker 9 / Crusader 1 or 2 tickled my fancy. The background story would certainly be interesting as well.

They could activate the AMF and fly above / near the wizard, use intimidating rage and imperious command to test everyone's defense vs fear without magic buffs, and then lock those in the AMF down with large size, thicket of blades and combat reflexes + improved trip.

Greater rage, a little extra NA and DR and some more situational spells on top make a nice package further enhancing the Efreeti IMHO.

Hope this helps

PoeticallyPsyco
2022-06-05, 09:07 PM
Divine Defiance got mentioned upthread, and Insane Defiance is even better against mind-effecting spells and SLAs, shunting the effect onto an enemy of your choice (who also gets a penalty on the save). It does do 1 Wis damage to you, but that is an extremely solvable problem (e.g., Shape Soulmeld (Strongheart Vest)).

Ruby Knight Vindicator would be an interesting route to go as well. You'd lose 2 caster levels, but you'd be able to recover your swift actions after using them on Divine/Insane Defiance, and the idea of an antimage following Wee Jas to better understand their enemies is entertaining to me. Plus, maneuvers and stances are good, though I can't think of any antimage options off the top of my head except for Aura of Perfect Order (a Devoted Spirit stance, so a RKV would have access to it), which would let you 'take 11' on any one roll per round, including saves.

ciopo
2022-06-06, 07:44 AM
I'm seconding goign for ur-priest, 9th level to defeat 9th level and so on.

I'd probably go for selective metamagic form shining south, and the craft contingent spell from complete arcane

contingent selective antimagic field, and probably contingent starmantle too.

I'm not entirely sure iron heart surge would actually be needed in that regard, contingent greater dispel magic kinda does a very similar thing if you word the trigger well enough, and it's reactive without taking your action

And there's 19 more contingent you could put on yourself, very handy.

What else mmh, i guess metamagic reducers to make the antimagic widened on top of selective, would be easier as arcane since then it'd be 6th level and not 8th as it is for divine

Gruftzwerg
2022-06-06, 05:29 PM
Some ideas:

Dip into an arcane class for a familiar (either by default or by Obtain Familiar). Get a raven. Now you can give your raven (a nongenie) 3x Wish /day. Give yourself and your familiar +5 to all stats (to quickly cast Wish 5x in conjunction, Wish for Wish scrolls as magic item).

With basically infinite Wishes, you should be able to handle anything.

An example (with only the daily amount of Wishes):
1. Do some scrying to find out your targets location (for greater Teleport) via Wish
2. Wish either for a (craft) Contingent Spell (magic item): "Greater Arcane Fusion = Anitmagic Ray + Polymorph" (e.g. a Cave Troll or whatsoever form you want for your familiar in combat). Trigger is set on Teleport arrival.
3. Wish for a (craft) Contingent Spell: "Greater Teleport" to the targets location in charge range. Trigger is set to "when both you and your familiar have readied their action to "immediately charge at the target after the arrival" ".
4. Change Shape into a Cave Troll (pounce, imp. grab, rend, rake, dazing blow are all EX special attacks that we get)
5. Rdy actions and prepare for the action^^

Warshaper 3 could be a nice addition to this tactic. Gives Morphic Weapons, crit & stun immunity, +4 to STR and CON and some extra reach. The increased CON is nice for Dazzling Blow's DC = 10 + 1/2 HD + CON since Change Shape doesn't change our ability scores.

So, we are looking at 2 cave trolls that are popping out of nowhere together with an Antimagic Ray and start to pounce at their target. Imho a pretty solid tactic. If you should be afraid that the target might not fail its save for Antimagic Ray, you could use AMF instead and later rely sole on EX stuff to finish off your target.

nedz
2022-06-07, 05:24 PM
Efreeti X / Ur Priest 2 / Divine Oracle 10
For better scry and die, "Evasion" and immunity to surprise — though I'm not sure what Ur Priest 11 and 12 spell casting looks like ?