PDA

View Full Version : Throwing with reach?

SangoProduction
2022-06-04, 05:02 AM
I believe I asked this before, but can't remember the answer.
So, you are big, stronk colossal dragon, enhanced with magics that allow your limbs to extend three times their normal length.
Do you still have to bring your throwing arm up to your face to throw something? Or are you able to simply drop the pointy stick right above them, because you can already reach the pathetic mortals who know nothing of the octo-drake?

OK, asked in a less sleep-deprived way.... Can you choose a point of origin for your throw within your reach, or must it be within your actually occupied space.

Speaking of which, do larger weapons not gain any bonus range increments, despite much greater momentum?

Bucky
2022-06-04, 11:15 AM
Unless I'm missing an obscure rule, thrown weapons have the same range regardless of their size and the reach of the wielder, which does indeed lead to some corner cases where you can melee attack a target that's too far away to throw the same weapon at.

There is one range benefit to being large+, however, which is that distance is measured from your closest square to the target rather than your center.

Gruftzwerg
2022-06-04, 01:16 PM
Unless I'm missing an obscure rule, thrown weapons have the same range regardless of their size and the reach of the wielder, which does indeed lead to some corner cases where you can melee attack a target that's too far away to throw the same weapon at.

Wait what? You mean it is possible to get more reach than 50ft? I would be shocked if that would be the chase. The sole option that can get to 50ft reach in his own turn (so no AoO with the extended reach) that I'm aware if is Bloodstorm Blade. How do you get more than 50ft reach?

Note: the 50ft comes from the worst thrown weapon reach (e.g. dagger 10ft x5).

Bucky
2022-06-04, 04:42 PM
How do you get more than 50ft reach?

Colossal creature using an appropriately-sized Reach weapon as an improvised thrown weapon.

Rynjin
2022-06-04, 04:51 PM
Colossal creature using an appropriately-sized Reach weapon as an improvised thrown weapon.

Or just a baseline out of the box Kraken, which has 60 ft. Reach. (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/magical-beasts/kraken/)

Also because throwing mechanics kinda require you to actually put muscle into it, it makes sense either way. Sure, you could reach out and drop a rock on the adventurer. It's not gonna hurt very much though, because even terminal velocity (which you're not even gonna reach) is a hell of a lot slower, and therefore less damaging, than even a Medium sized creature can pitch an object.

Though to answer your literal question of "can you choose the point of origin", yes. You can fire a ranged attack from any corner of your space. It's why you can finagle around cover sometimes based on positioning, because if you can draw a line from one corner to the target unobstructed there's no cover, even if other corners would be obstructed.

ShurikVch
2022-06-04, 07:27 PM
Note: the 50ft comes from the worst thrown weapon reach (e.g. dagger 10ft x5).
Fukimi-Bari (Arms and Equipment Guide) have 5' Range Increment