PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Summoning and regeneration

Biggus
2022-06-04, 10:34 PM
A Solar has regeneration which specifies it

takes normal damage from evil-aligned weapons and from spells and effects with the evil descriptor

A summon monster spell has the evil descriptor when used to summon evil creatures. Does this mean that damage done by such summoned creatures overcomes the Solar's regeneration?

Aracor
2022-06-04, 11:06 PM
Simple answer is no. The effect of the spell is bringing the creature to you, not the creature itself.

Anymage
2022-06-04, 11:15 PM
Per the rules for damage reduction, a creature with an alignment subtype treats natural and wielded weapons as having a weapon matching its subtypes.

So while a summoning spell does not directly cause monsters to deal typed damage matching its alignment tags, in practice anything you'd summon that would give the spell an alignment tag would also have that subtype, and count as doing that sort of damage all on its own.

Yogibear41
2022-06-04, 11:46 PM
Outsiders with the evil subtype would, fiendish animals would not.

Biggus
2022-06-05, 12:38 AM
Simple answer is no. The effect of the spell is bringing the creature to you, not the creature itself.

Actually, the effect line reads "one summoned creature".

Zombimode
2022-06-05, 01:10 AM
So? It is still the summoned creature dealing the damage, not the spell itself.

Biggus
2022-06-05, 08:08 AM
So? It is still the summoned creature dealing the damage, not the spell itself.

Yes, but the point of that reply was that Aracor was arguing the answer is no because the effect is a summoning not a creature, I was pointing out that that isn't actually what the rules say.

My feeling is that it probably shouldn't work, but as far as I've been able to find the rules don't actually specify one way or the other.