PDA

View Full Version : City of Heroes

Ethrael
2007-11-26, 05:02 PM
Are there any CoH or CoV players out there who want 2 chat about anything about it or any prospective players who's be interested in playing an MMORPG?

Btw, any idea when Issue #11 is coming out? :sabine:

Tekraen
2007-11-26, 05:02 PM
Used to love that game, but I just couldn't get past level 31. =P

Ethrael
2007-11-26, 05:04 PM
lol, my highest is only lvl 25, can't get any higher than that, especially as a def

Swordguy
2007-11-26, 05:16 PM
Amusingly, I just reactivated my account today. My best friend plays it, and we used to really like going around in the that game. His Christmas/birthday present to me was a 6-month subscription.

Anyway, Virtue server, Energy/Energy blaster 29 (5xp from 30). Captain Howitzer.

Tekraen
2007-11-26, 05:19 PM
I did Energy/Energy to try it out. Great burst damage on a single target and knockback is always a joy.

2007-11-26, 06:11 PM
I like these games just to see the silly crap people come up with.

Like, there was some ice based guy (its been so long I can't remember the names, I guess he was a blaster or a tank?) who had a big mallet made of ice and ice armor, but wore red and white and had a big bushy beard and sunglasses. His name was "Very Serious Santa".

And I'll never forget the level 1 scrapper girl who wore what looked like sweatpants, rubber boots, a teal and green shirt with an orange A on it and a shock of Bride of Frakenstien hair named "Camel Toe Annie". She spent like 3 hours doing jumping jacks at the noob area. I laughed till I cried.

Ethrael
2007-11-27, 01:42 AM
Anyway, Virtue server, Energy/Energy blaster 29 (5xp from 30). Captain Howitzer.

Is virtue on the American Server? i play on the european: Union and Defiant. I'm an altoholic, but i mainly play as my emp/elec def 25 and my energy/regen stalker 18. And even more amusingly, i'm reactivating my account 2day! :amused:

Swordguy
2007-11-27, 03:12 AM
Is virtue on the American Server? i play on the european: Union and Defiant. I'm an altoholic, but i mainly play as my emp/elec def 25 and my energy/regen stalker 18. And even more amusingly, i'm reactivating my account 2day! :amused:

Yeah, it's a US server.

And yes, En/En is the shizznit. Once you get up to about 24th lvl or so, your job is to basically go hunt bosses or lieutenants while the rest of the group deals with the mooks. You just go up an keep the boss in knockdown lock, AND you're doing good damage! It works on everything short of supervillians - and there's no silly elemental resistances to worry about.

I took on a red boss walking around by his lonesome today. He never landed a hit - because he was on his back the entire fight (start with a sniper shot from max range to get the initial knockdown, fly in, drop next to him, energy push, blast, blast, energy punch, blast, blast, energy torrent, sniper shot, repeat).

Oh, speaking of red guys. I have to update something. Captain Howitzer, Virtue Server, En/En blaster 30. :smallbiggrin:

Alzharade_the_Arti
2007-11-27, 04:43 AM
((Gonna brag here, you've been warned))

5 50s, 4 of them redside, 1 blueside, and yes, all on Virtue. :D

Doc Philosophy

Chaos Necromancer

The various incarnations of Steinstrom Jaeger

Jacob Morrison

Norse Flame

I have tried out ALOT of builds, and got many of them to a very high level.Game has always been a blast (the only reason I'm currently not playing regulary is because after over two years of constant play, I've hit burnout) and Roleplay has been plentiful for most of my time there.Jerks are rare, and the community is awesometastic most of the time.Ditto on the Knockdown comment (make a Stone Mellee Brute, get Tremor, and slot it out, you'll love it.)Easy to get into, addictive, content's great, and it ALWAYS helps to relieve stress at the end of the day by punching out some random thug.

Just my two cents.

P.S.Last I heard on I11 was sometime this week, but I heard it secondhand so take that into account.

Setra
2007-11-27, 10:58 AM
I love the game, though I also spent like a month just trying out every possible class combination.

I have a bad habit of researching everything I play, to the point nothing is a mystery to me anymore.

My current main is a 27 Broadsword/Regen scrapper named Delta MKI.

Leveling is quite easy in the game, I could easily make a level a day with my SG, alas, I don't want to level past my friend. Well that and right now I am at my mother's so I can't play, she has a laptop that I don't think can run anything.. and even if it could I dun think I am allowed to download and install it.

I dunno what server I am on, I think it is Virtue, might be Triumph.

Ethrael
2007-11-27, 12:11 PM
Oh and also could you guys check out my thread for a suggestion in CoH, not really important, but i'd like 2 hear ur ideas:

http://uk.boards.cityofheroes.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=997058&an=0&page=0#Post997058

Thanks!:smallbiggrin:

Prophaniti
2007-11-27, 12:20 PM
I picked up CoV a while ago, made an energy/mystical named Cherubael (supposed to be a daemonhost) and I had a lot of fun playing. Unfortunatley, I just can't justify spending money on a monthly subscription anymore, not when there are MMO's I enjoy just as much that are free. Makes me sad though, fun game.

Khosan
2007-11-27, 12:37 PM
I had a ten day trial for City of Villains over the Summer. I modeled my Dominator after my Calculus teacher from the previous year. Mind/Energy. It was hilariously appropriate, since his main methods of dealing with people were putting them to sleep, making their heads hurt really bad, and confusing the hell out of people.

Revlid
2007-11-27, 03:08 PM
I played it for a while, and really liked it. Unfortunately I spent longer on the Character Creation screen than I did playing, and ended up never got a transport power (which made getting around dull as hell).

Most importantly, however, my computer hated it, and I couldn't see anyone until I was an inch or so away from them.

As a Blaster on his own, this smarted somewhat, and I eventually gave up.

Ethrael
2007-11-28, 01:49 AM
Join the altoholic club; this is my ninth month and i'm only just starting to work on certain characters rather than making more, i'm gonna go crazy with I#11 though :smalltongue:

Kaelaroth
2007-11-28, 02:27 PM
Well, Ethrael and my brother both persuaded me to play.. but I'm not sure. :smallconfused: . I'm not really into video games. Meh. Maybe it'll get better. Or I might just stick to writing and art.

Shades of Gray
2007-11-28, 07:51 PM
I was really bored so I decided to make this on my computer. I already have ideas for 7 more. though they are a pain to draw. Feedback?

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa279/oliver426/AAAaCOHlesson1-1.png

I'm on Pinnacle btw, lvl 22 Controller.

sun_tzu
2007-12-09, 09:16 AM
Well, Issue #11 is out...And new mysteries come into play. Ouroboros. Mender Silos. The Coming Storm. All very, very interesting.
And then there's the fact that "Mender Silos" is an anagram for "Undying evil supergenius whose plots drive half the story" - er, I mean, "Lord Nemesis".

JMobius
2007-12-09, 11:11 AM
I played that game for a few months a while back. I loved the rather unique setting for an MMO, but the gameplay (as with most of them) was repetitive and didn't really grab my interest.

I experimented with a variety of different characters, but the one that I actually ended up enjoying the most surprised me, because it started out as a joke between a friend that was playing: A Rad/Rad defender, in the form of a Japanese schoolgirl. Go figure. :P

Jerthanis
2007-12-09, 03:11 PM
I experimented with a variety of different characters, but the one that I actually ended up enjoying the most surprised me, because it started out as a joke between a friend that was playing: A Rad/Rad defender, in the form of a Japanese schoolgirl. Go figure. :P

While other games have races like elves and dwarves and so on, which don't affect mechanics or gameplay all that much, City of Heroes has races like Snake-man, Japanese Schoolgirl, Robot, Demon, Angel, Demonic Angel, Mad Scientist, Wolverine... and a couple others. You see more members of races like that running around the game than you see classic super-outfits.

It's an awesome game. I like CoH because team size caps at 8 players, and it's generally easy to find or make teams that hit that cap, and Combat is fast, frantic, and fun, diving into hordes of enemies and tossing them about with impunity. It's a grind game, with not a lot of stuff to do beyond grind more baddies... but it's so fun to grind that you forget that it's supposed to be a chore for some reason, as it is in other MMOs.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-12-09, 03:16 PM
I've been playing with the CoX ten day trial. It's a fun game: I like the fairly active combat system, the wonderful character creation, and the every mission being instanced (and no random drops quests! Why hasn't anyone else thought of this?!) However, I don't know if it's $15/month worth of fun. Is there ever really anything to do other than beat up more supervillains (or presumably heroes in the later CoV missions)? WoW may have been incredibly boring to grind, but you were definitely rewarded for it in-game. 'Course I only played three months of that before getting bored and quitting too.

Shraik
2007-12-16, 08:48 PM
I love city of heroes/villains because I am into the whole Superhero Scene. Haven't been playing much lately considering the lag drives me crazier then Ezekial.
I have been playing for a good year and a half and issue 11 looks good. I do agree that getting past level 30 as defender that isn't empath is hard. 6 months at level 28. I. Hate. Debt.

Zukhramm
2007-12-18, 09:53 AM
I played this for a while, I won it so I just had to try it. But I stoped. Can't remember why. Well, both GW and WoW have made me bored enough, so maybe I should give this a new chanse instead?