PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Shadow Evocation

Segev
2022-06-05, 03:35 PM
This was a classic spell effect in 1e, and was why the Illusionist probably was considered powerful, back then. (1e AD&D had illusionists as the only specialty wizards, and the big attraction of shadow evocation and shadow conjuration was surrounded by the fact that they provided what 3e sorcerers would ultimately introduce: the ability to prepare a spell slot that could be used for multiple different effects.)

The effect is a little tricky to bring forward into 5e, but I thought I'd give it an attempt. Looking for feedback on any problems my implementation may introduce, whether it's too strong (or, though unlikely, too weak), etc.

This spell is intended to go on the Sorcerer and Wizard lists.

Shadow Evocation
Level 2 Illusion
Casting Time: The casting time of the mimicked spell (see text)
Range: The range of the mimicked spell (see text)
Components: V, S, M (a gem or arcane focus worth at least 25 gp)
Duration: Instantaneous

You evoke quasi-real energy from the Shadowfell or Feywild to augment an illusion of another spell. Choose an evocation spell on your class list of first level or lower with an instantaneous duration. This spell mimics that spell exactly, as if cast from a 2nd level spell slot, except as noted here.

If the chosen spell does damage, half of the damage is replaced by psychic damage.

If the chosen spell requires an attack roll, it hits automatically, but any targets may make an Intelligence saving throw to negate the hit. If the spell does not require an attack roll, any targets may make Intelligence saving throws to remove all psychic damage from the spell, and negate any other effects on themselves.

If the chosen spell allows a saving throw, the saving throw is replaced with an intelligence save. If the save is for half damage, the psychic half of the damage from this spell is what is negated due to the shadowstuff being quasi-real.

At higher levels. If you cast this spell from a 3rd level or higher spell slot, the maximum level of the mimicked spell is one lower than the spell slot from which it is cast, and it is considered to be cast from the actual level of spell slot expended. (e.g. a fireball can be mimicked by casting this spell from a 4th level spell slot, and it qualifies as a fireball upcast to 4th level).

Simplified version: This version uses only psychic damage, and is also restricted to mimicking only wizard evocation spells. It also features a change I haven't put in the one above, but am considering for it, too, such that it uses the same material component(s) as the mimicked spell. This means that you can't use this spell to bypass materials, and you might need multiple expensive components to handle multiple different evocation spells you want to mimic.

Shadow Evocation
Level 2 Illusion
Casting Time: The casting time of the mimicked spell (see text)
Range: The range of the mimicked spell (see text)
Components: V, S, M (the same material components as the mimicked spell)

You evoke quasi-real energy from the Shadowfell or Feywild to augment an illusion of another spell. Choose an evocation spell on the wizard class list of first level or lower with an instantaneous duration. This spell mimics that spell exactly, as if cast from a 2nd level spell slot, except as noted here.

If the chosen spell does damage, the damage becomes psychic damage.

If the chosen spell requires an attack roll, it hits automatically, but any targets may make an Intelligence saving throw to negate the hit. Any saving throws become Intelligence saving throws; the DC and the consequences of both success and failure remain the same as per the original spell.

At higher levels. If you cast this spell from a 3rd level or higher spell slot, the maximum level of the mimicked spell is one lower than the spell slot from which it is cast, and it is considered to be cast from the actual level of spell slot expended. (e.g. a fireball can be mimicked by casting this spell from a 4th level spell slot, and it qualifies as a fireball upcast to 4th level).

Dimers
2022-06-08, 07:54 PM
The value of Shadow Evoc is (IMHO) supposed to be its flexibility, not its sheer dice of damage. If you leave in upcasting of the emulated spell, there's no reason to ever learn or prepare an instantaneous evocation. I recommend not upcasting the emulated spell at all, but if your heart's set on it, I wouldn't raise it beyond the level of Shadow Evoc minus one.

No interaction with Illusionist class features, so no problems there.

As written, the caster can choose any evocation, not just one on their own spell list. Is that intended?

Are you going to do a Shadow Conj too?

Jervis
2022-06-09, 12:28 AM
The value of Shadow Evoc is (IMHO) supposed to be its flexibility, not its sheer dice of damage. If you leave in upcasting of the emulated spell, there's no reason to ever learn or prepare an instantaneous evocation. I recommend not upcasting the emulated spell at all, but if your heart's set on it, I wouldn't raise it beyond the level of Shadow Evoc minus one.

No interaction with Illusionist class features, so no problems there.

As written, the caster can choose any evocation, not just one on their own spell list. Is that intended?

Are you going to do a Shadow Conj too?

IMO i don't think upcast damage is an issue. Generally a 3rd level spell is gonna be better than a 2nd level spell cast from a 3rd level slot (exceptions exist obviously but theyre edge cases). But yes as written this allows for wizards casting cure spells i do believe.

Segev
2022-06-09, 01:12 AM
It was vaguely intended to leave the class list wide open, in the spirit of "it is an illusion," but cure spells being available is against the intent, so I may change that to "wizard spells." This lets sorcerers plunder the wizard list, but wizards "merely" get the flexible preparation.

Jervis has the same thought I did as to why I left the upcast in it: upcasting is generally worse than a spell of that level. Casting burning hands from a second level spell slot is generally worse than casting [Rime's binding ice[/i] from that same spell slot (assuming the element type doesn't factor in). I could lower it to being as if cast from a spell slot one level lower, though, if the extra die (usually what a single level upcast gets you) really is too much.

I would like to do shadow conjuration, as well, but it faces the same problem I had before I limited shadow evocation to instantaneous spells: Malleable Illusions and general complexity. I will probably give it a try, and maybe a greater shadow evocation that does longer-duration spells.

Is a single level drop good enough for the flexibility this spell grants, or should shadow evocation start at third level and cast only spells two levels lower than its slot? I fear that might be too weak, since you could prepare one or two evocations of that level and have more slots to cast it from at that point, and probably will face the issue that an upcast first level spell is rarely worth a third level slot.

Thanks again for pointing out the healing application. Why did they not move the healing spells back into necromancy where they belong?

Abuzorg
2022-06-10, 08:51 AM
I did something similar in updating Demi-Shadow Magic and Demi-Shadow Monsters from 2e. Here is my take on Demi-Shadow Magic :

Demi-Shadow Magic
4th level Illusion
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Varies
Components: V, S

You tap energy from the Plane of Shadow to cast a quasi-real, illusory version of a conjuration or evocation spell of 3rd level or lower that deals damage, with a duration of instantaneous and a cast time of 1 action.

Whatever spell you choose, it is cast at 3rd level and deals psychic damage instead of it’s normal damage type. If it requires a saving throw it is an intelligence saving throw instead of it’s usual type.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 5th level or higher, you can select a spell of one level higher and it is cast at a level higher for each slot level above 4th.

Classes: Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard

So we had the same idea, although I wanted to gate the ability to replace the INT save / psychic damage blast behind a higher level spell. I made it all psychic damage instead of half for simplicity's sake, but I can see how one would be wary of the power level of such a spell.

I also overlooked the healing spell application and just added it into my spell, thanks for pointing it out Jervis.

And since Segev is interested in doing Shadow Conjuration as well, here is my Demi-Shadow Monsters :

Demi-Shadow Monsters
5th-level Illusion
Range: 60 ft
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 hour

You tap energy from the Plane of Shadow to shape semi-real illusions that take the form of monsters and appear in unoccupied spaces that you can see within range. Choose one of the following options for what appears:

• One beast, giant or humanoid of challenge rating 2 or lower
• Two beasts, giants or humanoids of challenge rating 1 or lower
• Four beasts, giants or humanoids of challenge rating 1/2 or lower
• Eight beasts, giants or humanoids of challenge rating 1/4 or lower

The created monsters lose any magical abilities, innate spellcasting and spellcasting abilities. The monsters gain immunity to poison and psychic damage, as well as immunity to the charmed, exhaustion, frightened, paralyzed, petrified and poisoned condition. The monster's weapon attacks deal psychic damage instead of their usual type. Any monster disappears when it drops to 0 hit points or when the spell ends.

The summoned creatures are friendly to you and your companions. Roll initiative for the summoned creatures as a group, which has its own turns. They obey any verbal commands that you issue to them (no action required by you). If you don't issue any commands to them, they defend themselves from hostile creatures, but otherwise take no actions.

The DM has the creatures' statistics.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using certain higher-level spell slots, you choose one of the summoning options above, and more creatures appear: twice as many with a 7th-level slot and three times as many with a 9th-level slot.

As you can probably figure out, it is based on the Conjure X line of spells. There are probably some issues with summoning humanoids, but that would be the place for the DM to decide wether you can create a shadow version of a named humanoid NPC or not, for example.

Segev
2022-06-11, 09:24 AM
I did something similar in updating Demi-Shadow Magic and Demi-Shadow Monsters from 2e. Here is my take on Demi-Shadow Magic : Thanks for sharing those! Especially the monsters one; I will be looking at it closely for possibilities for shadow conjuration. Part of the trouble I'm having is that 3e shadow conjuration used subtypes to limit it to things that called monsters ("summoning" and "calling" subtypes). Those don't exist in 5e, and I will need to dig out my 1e book to see how it was worded back then.

So we had the same idea, although I wanted to gate the ability to replace the INT save / psychic damage blast behind a higher level spell. I made it all psychic damage instead of half for simplicity's sake, but I can see how one would be wary of the power level of such a spell.Ironically, I view the psychic damage as a weakness of the spell, at least compared to what it would be if it did the full damage as the base spell's energy type. The flexibility to pick any energy type means you'll almost always hit an elemental weakness, or at least avoid an elemental resistance/immunity, while there are things that are just immune to psychic damage, so having the fixed type means you can't avoid those resistances/immunities.

It also just fits the thematics of it - half the damage is real due to the shadow stuff, while the other half is purely in the victim's head. I might go so far as to make the base, un-upcast damage of the spell all be psychic, and make only the upcast damage be the "shadow stuff" real energy type. But I think wording that might be too complicated, and I either have to add a greater "all or nothing"-ness to it by keeping the "if they make the save, the psychic damage goes away," or I need to allow the half-damage save to include psychic damage. Right now, I like the symmetry of making the save being what eliminates the psychic damage - you know it's only half-real, so you take only half damage.

But, if shadow evocation is too powerful as I have it now, cutting deeply into its damage on a successful save would be a solid way to reduce its power.

As you can probably figure out, it is based on the Conjure X line of spells. There are probably some issues with summoning humanoids, but that would be the place for the DM to decide wether you can create a shadow version of a named humanoid NPC or not, for example.Much as I dislike the spells from XGE, TCE, etc. that summon a spell-specific statblock of things rather than actually pulling from the monster manual, shadow conjuration may actually be the right place for such a thing: the illusory monster has a specific stat-block with a little bit of flexibility, and looks like whatever monster you want to claim you "summoned" with it.

Abuzorg
2022-06-13, 02:40 PM
Much as I dislike the spells from XGE, TCE, etc. that summon a spell-specific statblock of things rather than actually pulling from the monster manual, shadow conjuration may actually be the right place for such a thing: the illusory monster has a specific stat-block with a little bit of flexibility, and looks like whatever monster you want to claim you "summoned" with it.

I feel the same about the new summons spells. I don't mind them existing and I even used them, but I would rather have more spells in the style of Conjure X. I get that a spell-specific stat block could be appropriate here, but it's not something that is exciting to me, to be fair.

But, if shadow evocation is too powerful as I have it now, cutting deeply into its damage on a successful save would be a solid way to reduce its power.

To be clear, I don't think your shadow evocation is too powerful. I like a lot that it is online sooner for illusionist wizards. The reason I pinned my Demi-Shadow Magic at level 4 and not level 2 is because I wanted to have the selections of spells of the "shadow subschool" to be more spread out across different spell levels.

I will be looking at it closely for possibilities for shadow conjuration. Part of the trouble I'm having is that 3e shadow conjuration used subtypes to limit it to things that called monsters ("summoning" and "calling" subtypes). Those don't exist in 5e, and I will need to dig out my 1e book to see how it was worded back then.

This is the main reason why I went for the 2nd edition version of these spells to update. A 5e version of Shadow conjuration was too much of an headache and would have also required to say you can't use teleportation spells with it as well. If I were you, I would just go the way of the emulation of a Conjure X or Summon X spell and decide it is not that important to emulate a conjuration (creation) spell like web or grease.

Even writing this, I realize that my clause of allowing conjuration spells with a cast time of 1 action and a duration of instantaneous is allowing the caster to replicate spells I don't intend to be possible, namely all of the teleportations spells, from misty step up to scatter.

Segev
2022-07-18, 06:13 PM
A thought on the healing spell issue: if you're a cleric/wizard, is is such a big problem that this would let you (up)cast healing word or cure wounds?

I think not so much. So what if the wording is, "choose an evocation spell from a spell list to which you have access and the class level to cast," or something like that?

MrStabby
2022-07-18, 07:30 PM
Not that I can think of any immediate issues, but to protect from future abuse should the spell you copy have a casting time of 1 action? Sure you rule out healing word or wrathful smite but it would protect against spells like prayer of healing if one of that style were to be produced for level 1.

Segev
2022-07-18, 08:09 PM
Not that I can think of any immediate issues, but to protect from future abuse should the spell you copy have a casting time of 1 action? Sure you rule out healing word or wrathful smite but it would protect against spells like prayer of healing if one of that style were to be produced for level 1.

Easiest thing to do would be to make the casting time "see text" and set it to that of the mimicked spell, there, I think.

Abuzorg
2022-07-19, 12:30 PM
A thought on the healing spell issue: if you're a cleric/wizard, is is such a big problem that this would let you (up)cast healing word or cure wounds?

I think not so much. So what if the wording is, "choose an evocation spell from a spell list to which you have access and the class level to cast," or something like that?

Here is how I ended up fixing that :

DEMI-SHADOW MAGIC
4th-level Illusion

You tap energy from the Plane of Shadow to cast a quasi-real, illusory version of a conjuration or evocation spell of 3rd level or lower with a duration of instantaneous and a cast time of 1 action. The spell you choose cannot restore hit points or teleport a creature or object.
Whatever spell you choose, it is cast at 3rd level and deals psychic damage instead of its normal damage type. If it requires a saving throw it is an intelligence saving throw instead of its usual type.

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 5th level or higher, you can select a spell of one level higher and it is cast at a level higher for each slot level above 4th.

Segev
2022-07-19, 03:04 PM
Here is how I ended up fixing that :

DEMI-SHADOW MAGIC
4th-level Illusion

You tap energy from the Plane of Shadow to cast a quasi-real, illusory version of a conjuration or evocation spell of 3rd level or lower with a duration of instantaneous and a cast time of 1 action. The spell you choose cannot restore hit points or teleport a creature or object.
Whatever spell you choose, it is cast at 3rd level and deals psychic damage instead of its normal damage type. If it requires a saving throw it is an intelligence saving throw instead of its usual type.

Right. The motivating thought here is that I actually don't mind if it lets you restore hp as long as you could have cast the spell that its mimicking.

Abuzorg
2022-07-19, 03:33 PM
Sure, but it seems like a stretch to me at least to say that the quasi-real shadow stuff can actually heal wounds.

There's also the fact that Shadow Conjuration couldn't replicate conjuration (healing) spells.

MrStabby
2022-07-19, 06:52 PM
Easiest thing to do would be to make the casting time "see text" and set it to that of the mimicked spell, there, I think.

I had also meant to add that you might want to consider material components. Things like Chromatic Orb need an expensive component, this does not so there is a cost factor. If here were to be an evocaton spell that consumed it, then that would be potentially even more problematic.

Segev
2022-07-20, 01:38 AM
Sure, but it seems like a stretch to me at least to say that the quasi-real shadow stuff can actually heal wounds.

There's also the fact that Shadow Conjuration couldn't replicate conjuration (healing) spells.Perhaps. I can see shadow-stuff working, myself, if you already have the capacity to heal with evocation magic. If I manage Shadow Conjuration, it will likely be strictly mimicking creature-summoning spells, though. So no fears, there.

I had also meant to add that you might want to consider material components. Things like Chromatic Orb need an expensive component, this does not so there is a cost factor. If here were to be an evocaton spell that consumed it, then that would be potentially even more problematic.Good point. It is paying a higher minimum spell slot, but it is also getting the upcast benefit. Could have it require the same material component as the mimicked spell, perhaps. Or a half-priced one.

Edit to add: I have added a 25 gp gem as a material component. This is 5 gp pricier than any existing arcane focus, and half the price of the material components of the only evocation spell in 5e that this spell can mimic that has an expensive material component (chromatic orb). If you happen to have a magic item arcane focus, it'll certainly be more than 25 gp, and can also be used.

I also made it copy any evocation spell on "your spell list," which should keep you from poaching other spell lists or other casters' themes, but give you access to more spells by multiclassing.