PDA

View Full Version : Dante Haphazardly Reviews MPMoM Monster Changes

Dante
2022-06-05, 10:32 PM
Everyone knows about Star Spawn Seer Psychic Comet + Star Spawn Hulk Psychic Mirror because MToF mentions it. Weirdly enough, MPMoM trims this text to be less clear about its tactical advice: it no longer says the hulk is "a vital part of a tactic often used by seers". What gives? Those were the best-spent ten words in MToF! Why did WotC take them out? In MPMoM the tactic is still obliquely mentioned, but it's easier to miss and sounds more like an occasional accident than a deliberate tactic on the part of the Seer.

Now that that's off my chest, here are some other thoughts in no particular order.

I don't like how Star Spawn Seers no longer trigger opportunity attacks because it actually weakens them--but I bet 99% of DMs never even realized that tactic existed anyway. (Walk up to a group of PCs, trigger an opportunity attack to move a Hulk into position, then Collapse Distance on a PC or nearby Star Spawn Grue so everybody takes double damage with no save, from Collapse Distance + Collapse Distance reflected off the Hulk). +1 more point for more DM guidance/"notorious for XYZ" blurbs which they should have done instead of trimming the most useful tactical advice in the whole book.

Hutijin's conversion bugs me Edit: on two levels: it's less challenging (why did he lose his saving throw disadvantage aura? It interacts so nicely with his fear-causing reaction, Symbol, etc.), and I hate the random damage types on his attacks now. Magical piercing+poison/slashing/bludgeoning made sense for his bite/claws/mace/tail, but fire/cold/force/thunder is just... incoherent. As well as extremely frustrating for barbarians and Blade Ward casters. A bite that does no piercing damage, only pure fire, what?

Huitijin is just one example of that trend but he's the most scattershot that I've seen. It's weird that white and black Abishai now do force damage with their longswords, but not quite as weird as his four separate weird damage types.

Armanites lost magical weapons which you'd think would be bad for the Blood War, but gained some HP and some lightning damage and proning which might be enough to offset the loss, and makes them stronger against PCs.

I do like the added Star Spawn art.

Giff: I thought the old way (where they only get Multiattack with pistols, and rely to a certain extent on Headfirst Charge to augment their melee damage) was more appealing and emphasized their love for firearms better than giving them longsword Multiattack does.

I don't love what they did to the Skulk either (reduction in damage, while making it not dependent on advantage).

They switched Drow Matron Mother summons from Retriever to Gabrezu, but I don't mind that change given what the Retriever lore says about its origins. The actual threat levels aren't actually that different--Glabrezu actually winds up with better to-hit and effective AC after casting Darkness (because of Truesight advantage). If it weren't for Retriever's paralyzing beam I would say the Glabrezu is stronger, but overall it's a slight reduction in power and a significant reduction in XP earned.

I dislike what they did to Shadar Kai Gloom Weaver, eliminating its access to Armor of Agathys/Fear/Hypnotic Pattern/Major Image/Eldritch Blast/etc. in favor of another spear attack. It leaves it much more of a one-trick pony. (At least they left Darkness + True Seeing combo intact, although most DMs will never notice it, thus illustrating why additional DM guidance would have been better than stat block changes.)

Similarly, Soul Mongers lost Chain Lightning and Seeming and gained 13 HP in exchange, which leaves them weaker and I don't like it.

Also, I don't like that all elves are now immune to Gloom Weaver and Soul Monger auras, instead of just Shadar Kai. It's unnecessary and doesn't seem logical based on the lore of the Shadowfell.

Initially I liked the Eladrin redesign and I still think it's an overall improvement, but between HP buffs and damage buffs to all the Eladrin including Summer (such that Summer is now arguably the weakest Eladrin, or tied with Winter, despite getting more HP and an extra d8 on every attack)... I'm less happy than I was before. It feels like an overcorrection, change for the sake of change. Again, DM guidance on how to use Summer Eladrin mobility + ranged firepower to tactical advantage would have been better.

The Dybbuk rewrite makes them far less interesting now, not only for combat but for weird stuff like learning deeply personal secrets or specialized skills. Now it's just a boring 20 temp HP.

It bothers me that Blue Abishai are now primarily blasters, and better at it than Red Abishai.

Annis Hags lost weapon resistance in exchange for only +15 HP. Whether you're using them as summons for their massive opportunity attacks, or using them as opponents who may have to have PCs with Animate Objects and conjured elks, it's an overall loss of durability. And if you're using them as summons, losing weapon resistance also means you no longer get ~double value out of healing spells and temp HP.

Bheur Hags on the other hand are significantly better as summons now due to unlimited blasting. As opponents I guess they're probably weaker due to fewer Walls of Ice and Cones of Cold and because the to-hit on their blasting is low, but 60 HP of ranged damage is a lot of at-will damage. Anyone who was primarily Planar Binding Annis Hags should probably switch to Bheur Hags if MPMoM is being used. Necromancers now have reason to envy druids.

Korreds lost Earth Elemental summoning. The powergamer in me hates that. The DM in me is sort of relieved and sort of not. It was a cool and interesting ability.

Oh, alignment. The fact that WotC's Githyanki of all races are now "any alignment" without even a nod towards a "typical" alignment (Hobgoblins are now apparently "typically Lawful Neutral") just makes my eyes roll.

Why in the world did they take Jump and Misty Step away from Githyanki (replaced by a recharge 4-6 non-spell ability called Astral Step, except Supreme Commanders always recharge) and Shield away from Githzerai (replaced by nothing, leaving them weaker)? This is the same book where they have a PC Githyanki racial Misty Step spell, and a Githzerai Shield racial spell. Why?

They also weakened the CR 16 Githzerai Anarch's Unarmed Strike and strengthened the CR 10 Githzerai Enlightened's Unarmed Strike so that it now does more damage per hit than the Enlightened. Why is WotC boosting almost every monster damage but nerfing the Anarch (twice!)? Is this just a typo or deliberate? To what end?

There's a whole thread on wizards, war priests, drow matrons and favored consorts so I'll avoid that topic except to say I thought the MToF art for drow favored consorts was cooler.

Nightwalkers received a significant damage buff as did many of the demon lords. Was that necessary?

Demogorgon no longer has much reason to use any gaze besides Hypnotic on any PC who doesn't have Fey Nature (advantage against charm). Is it just coincidence that MPMoM also makes Fey Nature available on more races than before? I think the MToF restrictions on Hypnotic Gaze were more interesting for both players and DM.

That's all I've got to say. Your turn.

Thunderous Mojo
2022-06-06, 09:17 AM
Thank you for posting this thread.
I have been unable to do a nice comparison read of MPMoM.

One action that I would like to see happen, is for those that have made a full throated defense of the philosophy behind the changes, would pick one of the creatures on the list in this thread, and give us a breakdown on how they expect to use the creature now, versus how the creature was used with the original statistics.

Abstract philosophy is fine up to point, (and I would say 33 pages + on a thread has taken us well past the point of ‘fine-ness’) but let’s start getting into a practical examination.

More importantly, I think it would be fun, since there will be something concrete to analyze.

Who will take up the Gauntlet…there may be Quatloos and Prizes!🃏

Millstone85
2022-06-06, 10:53 AM
Oh, alignment. The fact that WotC's Githyanki of all races are now "any alignment" without even a nod towards a "typical" alignment (Hobgoblins are now apparently "typically Lawful Neutral") just makes my eyes roll.I think the new lore is that all humanoids (sorry, Humanoids) are now free of a typical alignment, with only profession-specific statblocks getting one. However, no clue how they decided that the hobgoblin devastator deserved a typically lawful alignment but the githyanki supreme commander did not.

What is really interesting to me is that MotM deshuman-oid-izes several creatures.

See, bringing a dark elf or gray dwarf to the table is now as easy as playing a deep gnome. Yes, they come from the Land Down Under which is known for its dangerous fauna, evil cults and alien slavers, but the time of Drizzt-exceptionalism is gone. There are now whole cities that are pretty decent.

But the derro, those chaotic evil humanoids who might have been gray dwarves after even more illithid torture? They are now aberrations. And gnolls are monstrosities, except for the flind that is a fiend.

Psyren
2022-06-06, 05:34 PM
Why in the world did they take Jump and Misty Step away from Githyanki (replaced by a recharge 4-6 non-spell ability called Astral Step, except Supreme Commanders always recharge) and Shield away from Githzerai (replaced by nothing, leaving them weaker)? This is the same book where they have a PC Githyanki racial Misty Step spell, and a Githzerai Shield racial spell. Why?

You wanted them running around with 23-25 AC?

Dante
2022-06-06, 05:58 PM
You wanted them running around with 23-25 AC?

At only 144 HP, that still leaves them pretty fragile compared to other CR 16s, especially if Shield gets Counterspelled.

Running it through a CR calculator indicates that AC 25 with 144 HP and +10 to hit for 192 damage potential only yields a CR of 15. The Githzerai Anarch is CR 16, so yeah, Shield and full original damage is fine.

QED.

Unoriginal
2022-06-06, 07:42 PM
But the derro, those chaotic evil humanoids who might have been gray dwarves after even more illithid torture? They are now aberrations. And gnolls are monstrosities, except for the flind that is a fiend.

Weird that they didn't go for full fiend, for the gnolls. But I guess they wanted to go "they're demonic but not full demons".

The Derro being aberrations is just a whut moment.

Psyren
2022-06-06, 09:30 PM
At only 144 HP, that still leaves them pretty fragile compared to other CR 16s, especially if Shield gets Counterspelled.

Running it through a CR calculator indicates that AC 25 with 144 HP and +10 to hit for 192 damage potential only yields a CR of 15. The Githzerai Anarch is CR 16, so yeah, Shield and full original damage is fine.

QED.

1) You can't counterspell their Shield - their spellcasting is psionic and thus has no components to trigger you.

2) While the Anarch might be closer (and I don't think you accounted for their legendary attacks in your DPR potential), adding 5 AC to the Enlightened bumped it up by 1-2 CR, enough to change the encounter difficulty; I'm guessing they didn't want to do that.

Dante
2022-06-06, 09:41 PM
and I don't think you accounted for their legendary attacks in your DPR potential

6 x 32 = 192. Three of those six are from Multiattack, three are legendary.

Envyus
2022-06-07, 05:37 AM
Hutijin's conversion bugs me on two levels: it's less challenging (why did he lose his saving throw disadvantage aura? It interacts so nicely with his fear-causing reaction, Symbol, etc.), and I hate the random damage types on his attacks now. Magical piercing+poison/slashing/bludgeoning made sense for his bite/claws/mace/tail, but fire/cold/force/thunder is just... incoherent. As well as extremely frustrating for barbarians and Blade Ward casters. A bite that does no piercing damage, only pure fire, what?

Hutijin still has his Disadvantage Aura (I think it's bigger now too, but I have not checked).

Everything lost Magical weapons and got damage types that generally would ignore Damage resistance instead.

Giff: I thought the old way (where they only get Multiattack with pistols, and rely to a certain extent on Headfirst Charge to augment their melee damage) was more appealing and emphasized their love for firearms better than giving them longsword Multiattack does.

New Giff is way better. They can multiattack with their Rifles now.

Dante
2022-06-07, 06:06 AM
Hutijin still has his Disadvantage Aura (I think it's bigger now too, but I have not checked).

How did I miss that? It didn't even move. Apparently I can't read. [Grimace] Fixed in OP.

You're right, range went from 15' to 30'.

New Giff is way better. They can multiattack with their Rifles now.

But pistols and muskets have virtually the same damage and range, and they could already multiattack with pistols. Letting them multiattack with muskets is a tiny advantage but mostly just anti-flavor (muskets aren't supposed to be fast, and now you have to wonder why they even carry pistols), while letting them multiattack with longswords just encourages them to use their Str-based melee attacks instead of firearms at all, which isn't consistent with Giff lore. (I guess you could have them still ignore their longswords in favor of making bang!s, which *would* be consistent with Giff lore as essentially anti-optimizers who love smokepowder...)

So, I agree that they're stronger, but in this case I don't feel that stronger is "better". Although I guess I could live with this new version as long as you still RP them as preferring pistols no matter what the stat block says.

Havrik
2022-06-07, 09:22 AM
This might be the first general rules book in 5e that I take a pass on. I haven't seen a single example of something that is a clear improvement from Volo's or Tome of Foes. I'm not terribly bothered by things being mathematically balanced on a razor's edge (there are too many variables in play to ever make CR anything but the crudest estimate as it is). And most of these changes leave me scratching my head, with bites and claws that do no physical damage, etc.

I quit 4e in frustration with all of the "gamey" mechanics that didn't make sense in the narrative world, and it was a great joy to return to 5e seeing that this had been almost entirely corrected, and the game felt much more grounded in verisimilitude again. Now I worry that they are sliding back down the slope to mechanics that make sense from a game balance perspective but are inexplicable within the fiction. Hopefully, they correct course before the updated Monster Manual in 2024.

Havrik
2022-06-07, 09:33 AM
Letting them multiattack with muskets is a tiny advantage but mostly just anti-flavor (muskets aren't supposed to be fast, and now you have to wonder why they even carry pistols)

Historically, it took about 15 seconds to reload a musket. Letting characters fire and reload a musket all in the same 6-second round was already pushing it, letting the updated giff fire and reload twice in six seconds in straining my ability to narrate the fight in a way that seems plausible.

Thunderous Mojo
2022-06-07, 10:05 AM
Chaos Jackal and Prosecutor Godot brought this to my attention in another venue:

The new Derro Savant statblock, eliminates the Chromatic Orb and Lightning Bolt spells from their Spellcasting feature, and has instead Chromatic Beam.

Chromatic Beam is a 5’ wide, 60’ long projection of 6d6 Radiant damage.
While the beam is magical, nothing in the description states it is a spell.

By RAW, Invisible Derro Savants can use Chromatic Beam without breaking Invisibility.

Either this is a mistake, and we will see a future errata document clarify this, or the designers decided to add Epistemological Uncertainty to the system!

Making wide reaching changes to one’s products, without clarifying statements explaining why, seems a great way to Lose Customers and Negatively Influence people.

So much for the theory championed by some on this board that WotC thoroughly researched, planned, and executed a final solution to the problem of complexity in statblocks.

Epistemological Uncertainty undercuts the foundation of an Inter-Subjective games, such as Roleplaying. 🤦

5e Jumped da 🦈!

Keltest
2022-06-07, 10:13 AM
This might be the first general rules book in 5e that I take a pass on. I haven't seen a single example of something that is a clear improvement from Volo's or Tome of Foes. I'm not terribly bothered by things being mathematically balanced on a razor's edge (there are too many variables in play to ever make CR anything but the crudest estimate as it is). And most of these changes leave me scratching my head, with bites and claws that do no physical damage, etc.

I quit 4e in frustration with all of the "gamey" mechanics that didn't make sense in the narrative world, and it was a great joy to return to 5e seeing that this had been almost entirely corrected, and the game felt much more grounded in verisimilitude again. Now I worry that they are sliding back down the slope to mechanics that make sense from a game balance perspective but are inexplicable within the fiction. Hopefully, they correct course before the updated Monster Manual in 2024.

The only reason I'm getting it is because it also comes with some options from older setting-specific books that I dont want to purchase just for the one thing. I'm absolutely going to be using the older versions of monsters whenever theres overlap. And if they continue the way theyve been going, I'm absolutely not going to be touching any of the updates of the core rules or anything else. I already paid for the books once, why would I buy a version that has been changed to be less interesting to me?

Telok
2022-06-07, 10:21 AM
Historically, it took about 15 seconds to reload a musket. Letting characters fire and reload a musket all in the same 6-second round was already pushing it, letting the updated giff fire and reload twice in six seconds in straining my ability to narrate the fight in a way that seems plausible.

Its probably like the drow getting bonus poison damage without using the pc facing poison rules. Giff get musket multiattack without really reloading or having smokepowder because reloading & carrying ammo is pc facing rules that don't apply to monsters.

Dante
2022-06-07, 10:33 AM
The only reason I'm getting it is because it also comes with some options from older setting-specific books that I dont want to purchase just for the one thing. I'm absolutely going to be using the older versions of monsters whenever theres overlap. And if they continue the way theyve been going, I'm absolutely not going to be touching any of the updates of the core rules or anything else. I already paid for the books once, why would I buy a version that has been changed to be less interesting to me?

Honestly, I went to the store with the full intention blowing $50 for MPMoM, paged through it, and it was such a retread that I couldn't bring myself to go through with it--it was all stuff I had seen before, and generally worse stuff that I would never use over Volo's/MToF.

A couple days later I changed my mind again and bought it specifically so I could talk about it on the Internet more specifically instead of relying on other people to quote stat blocks, but I still have no intention of using it in gameplay for the most part. I will use the Star Spawn Hulk and maybe Mangler art, and I might or might not use the Winter Eladrin and the Bheur Hag, and I might refluff and use the Conjuror Wizard stat block for some kind of magical device (maybe I'll bolt on its spell attack and elemental summoning bonus action to the Apparatus of the Crab).

But mostly I bought it e.g. so I could start this thread.

Its probably like the drow getting bonus poison damage without using the pc facing poison rules. Giff get musket multiattack without really reloading or having smokepowder because reloading & carrying ammo is pc facing rules that don't apply to monsters.

I just told my players the drow have special training to apply poison as a bonus action before an attack, sort of like Thieves with Fast Hands. They used the poison they looted to kill a Rakshasa without having any magic weapons. (Knocked it unconscious with sleep poison, and then drowned it in a nearby river.)

Havrik
2022-06-07, 10:45 AM

I generally disallow the various playable monster races, except for very specific campaigns. So I'm happy to leave setting-specific races in their respective settings, to keep those settings special and distinct. Looking forward to plasmoids and astral elves in an upcoming Spelljammer game, but I have no need for them in more standard fantasy campaigns.

The best part of VGtM and MToF was the deep dives into the lore of different groups of monsters. I hope the rumors of these books falling out of print don't come to pass; what a shame to lose those sections.

Havrik
2022-06-07, 10:48 AM

The giff actually have a trait that specifically overrides the Loading property of pistols and muskets, so I'm not sure there's a blanket "PC rules don't apply to them" thing going on here. It's OK to an extent for monster mechanics to work differently from PC ones, but at least in my game, if the PCs fight drow and loot them, they absolutely will find poison (even if just an empty flask). And if they defeat some giff, they could take their pistols and ammo and smokepowder. Even if the mechanics don't track the ammo, etc., within the narrative it is obviously present.

Havrik
2022-06-07, 10:50 AM
I just told my players the drow have special training to apply poison as a bonus action before an attack, sort of like Thieves with Fast Hands. They used the poison they looted to kill a Rakshasa without having any magic weapons. (Knocked it unconscious with sleep poison, and then drowned it in a nearby river.)

That is a great example of clever play emerging from respecting the consistency of the narrative world, rather than just writing it off as "different rules for monsters".