PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Need help “pricing” a new spell for a vampire NPC

Jervis
2022-06-06, 07:20 PM
I’m trying to make a spell for a vampire cleric in a upcoming game. The level is somewhat important because it’s meant to be a custom spell he researched that a PC can learn if things get… interesting. there’s a medium likelihood that a PC could get vampirized and this spell might be something they want to grab if that’s the case. And before anyone says it I did get the idea for it from rereading the vampire arc and seeing protection from daylight. (Though if someone wants to use that I’d just copy the Pathfinder spell with the same effect) The actual spell is basically a method of circumventing the need to feed of humans by transmuting wine into blood. I’d like some feedback on leveling it.

Communion
School: Transmutation (Good)
Level: Cleric ?(thinking 3)
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 10 minutes
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Targets: 1 cup of wine and loaf of bread/CL
Duration: 24 hours
Saving Throw: none
Spell Resistance: No

Casting this spells imbues bread and wine with preserving magic capable of nourishing creatures that feed on sentient life. The wine takes on properties of human blood while the bread assumes properties similar to human flesh, creatures which are required to feed on the flesh or blood humans or other sentient creatures that partake in both are magically nourished for the spells duration. Effectively, this allows a creature such as a vampire or other such creature which feeds of humans to survive by casting this spell each day. A single casting of the spell and imbue a amount of wine and bread capable of feeding a number of creatures equal to your caster level.

smasher0404
2022-06-07, 02:18 AM
So the direct comparison is Create Food and Water which seems to be the basis for most of the spell. The other spell I think is worth comparing is the Sustain spell (Book of Exalted Deeds) which sustains living creatures of any size for 6 hours/level.

Create Food and Water scales faster than Communion in most cases, but does not account for size differences (scaling against 3 humans per level or 1 horse). Vampire hunger can be more severe than Living Creature hunger (taking Wisdom damage instead of non-lethal) per the rules in Libris Mortis.

Sustain is a level higher, but ignores size requirements and should work with other craving-based weaknesses by RAW (such as Wendigo). It scales to fewer creatures per level, but lasts longer than Create Food and Water would (6 hours per level, meaning it matches Create Food and Water in duration at CL 4 and exceeds it after).

Both seem fairly consistent with Communion's effect. So it should probably be pegged somewhere between 3rd and 4th level. I'd personally lean towards the higher side because a Vampire's hunger is a large part of being a Vampire so obviating it with a spell slot should be harder than for a living creature. Personally I'd put it at 4th, or keep it at 3rd but add a small pricy material component (maybe like 50 gp, so it adds up for low levels but becomes more negligible at high levels).

Jervis
2022-06-07, 02:32 PM
Thanks. I hadn’t heard of of the BoED spell before. I’ll probably just go with level 4, players should be around the level to cast that by the time this character shows up so and the chance of being vampierized becomes a thing.