PDA

View Full Version : Low Caster Level Spell Selection

smasher0404
2022-06-06, 11:34 PM
Hello everyone!

Obviously, one of the big rules of playing a caster is to not lose caster levels. Losing caster levels loses spell levels, spells known, spells per day, and so on. But assume a character exists that is already significantly behind in casting compared to similar ECL characters (the inspiration being a character I'm playing that is a very silly gish-idea, but this question is more theoretical), what spells would be the most useful to prepare under the given circumstances. I'm talking on the level of being 5-6 levels behind in overall casting. Assume that this character isn't a very strong martial character as well (the inspiration for this thread IS a martial-based one, but obviously buff spells like wraithstrike for martials are nice on martial characters).

In addition, are there any caster feats (besides Practiced Spellcaster) that would be more useful than normal with this lower than usual caster level?

Fero
2022-06-07, 12:06 AM
Plenty of low level spells, such as silent image and wall of smoke, provide signicant benefit at low CL. However, the exact selection would depend heavily on the characters role. More specifically, what does the character in question do other than cast spells?

smasher0404
2022-06-07, 01:39 AM
Plenty of low level spells, such as silent image and wall of smoke, provide signicant benefit at low CL. However, the exact selection would depend heavily on the characters role. More specifically, what does the character in question do other than cast spells?

For the sake of the question, nothing. Think of it like a level 3 wizard being thrown into an 8th level party (or a 10th level wizard in a 15th level party).

Zarvistic
2022-06-07, 02:48 AM
I think teleportation spells that you can use on others would be very useful here. Like baleful transposition, dimensional shuffle, that sort of spells.

Fero
2022-06-07, 04:05 AM
I second low lvl teleports. However, I think targeting friendlies would work better due to enemy SR and saves. Low lvl battlefield control such as Grease and Tiny Hut are always good. Some buffs like Nerve Skitter Serpant's Swiftness, and alter fortune can benefit higher lvl groups. Utility Spells like Detect X are also good at any level.

Anthrowhale
2022-06-07, 05:02 AM
Practiced Spellcaster helps quite a bit with caster level.

Spells that buff your party don't care about save DC, and there are some ways to make them robust against dispel beyond caster level.

There are some good battlefield control spells that are SR:No/Save:No like Wall of Sand.

Fero
2022-06-07, 08:40 AM
Some low level combos are exceptionally effective, such as web/Kua Toa Skin. Damaging stats can also be good (ray of Stupidity, Finger Darts, Shivering touch).

Fouredged Sword
2022-06-07, 09:03 AM
Buffs. A lot of the low level buffs remain at least somewhat relevant at higher levels. Haste is haste, and haste is good. Some of the utility spells also stay useful.

Telonius
2022-06-07, 09:17 AM
Wiz3, so 2nd-level spells are on the table. Glitterdust would be one that hasn't been mentioned - it can turn a very difficult situation into something much more manageable, if you're fighting invisible foes. (Not an every-day sort of thing; more likely have one as a scroll that you can pull out if necessary).

Biggus
2022-06-07, 09:41 AM
Spells that buff your party don't care about save DC, and there are some ways to make them robust against dispel beyond caster level.

What ways are those?

Anthrowhale
2022-06-07, 12:46 PM
What ways are those?

Curmudgeon covered (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?69571-Protecting-Against-Dispel) everything I'm aware of.