PDA

View Full Version : Player Help How To Make Krypteia Spartan

DisaVelet
2022-06-07, 06:37 PM
Hiya! So just what the title says… how to make Krypteia Spartan? Which Class and Subclass would be perfect for it?

For info on Krypteia:

“Krypteia ("hidden, secret"), was an ancient Spartan state institution involving young Spartan men. It was an exclusive element of Sparta's state-sponsored child-rearing system in which participation afforded its members, known as kryptai (κρύπται, members of the Krypteia), the opportunity to test their skills further and to prove themselves worthy of the Spartan polity. As an organisation, the Crypteia's mandate and practices are still debated by historians

The Crypteia had young Spartan men, probably between the ages of 21 and 30, who were described as "those judged to have the most intelligence." The men were known as hębôntes, one of the many social categories that preceded full Spartiate citizenship, and had completed their rearing at the agoge with such success that they were marked out as potential future leaders by Spartan officials.The training kryptai endured was undoubtedly harsh, but the way in which their training was conducted is debated.

According to Plato, the kryptai did not use footwear during the winter and slept without shelter. He also describes them as being unsupervised and as depending on themselves alone for survival. Plato's description might seem to imply that the kryptai were forced to be independent, but some scholars think that they may have had attendants at certain times to watch over them.

Every autumn, Spartan ephors would declare war on the helot population which would allow them to kill a helot without fear of punishment.The chosen kryptai were then sent out into the countryside armed with daggers with the instructions to kill any helot they encountered travelling the roads and tending to fields they deemed too plentiful.” From Wiki

meandean
2022-06-07, 08:54 PM
Sounds like they're all-rounders... INT is specifically called out, CON for hardiness, WIS for survival, DEX for dagger fighting, and perhaps CHA if they're future leaders. INT of course is strongly associated with spellcasting in the game, and is often dumped by martials because it just doesn't do a lot for them.

It sounds most to me from the description like a Gloom Stalker Ranger, but a high-INT Ranger is tough. If you want a little more optimization, then I'd think you'd have to either pick a fight-y wizard (Bladesinger, War Wizard) or a martial who casts spells or at least uses INT for some purpose (Arcane Trickster, Eldritch Knight, Psi Warrior, Blood Hunter although I don't know which subclass would at all fit this). I'm gonna say Psi Warrior is the best option. Explicitly casting spells doesn't feel all that Spartan-y. Psi Warrior can be thought of as translating your incredible mental discipline into battlefield powers, which is more like it.

RogueJK
2022-06-08, 09:06 AM
A smart, non-magical, dagger-wielding leader with wilderness survival experience sounds just like a Scout Rogue to me.

Standard Human Scout Rogue X
STR 11+1
DEX 14+1
CON 13+1
INT 13+1
WIS 11+1
CHA 12+1
ASIs: 16 DEX/14 CHA at Level 4, 18 DEX at Level 8, Inspiring Leader at Level 10, then 20 DEX or 16 CHA at Level 12
Skills: Stealth, Perception, Insight, Athletics, Investigation, Persuasion, Acrobatics, Survival, Nature
Expertise: Athletics and Perception at 1, then Nature and Survival at Level 3, and Insight and Persuasion at 6

Starts out at Level 1 as a scrappy Spartan youth showing potential straight out of the agoge, earns survival experience by Level 3 through hardship as a kryptai, and eventually grows into a leadership role from Levels 6-10.

Dante
2022-06-09, 12:33 AM
Sounds like you might enjoy playing Dominions 5 as the leader of Mekone. They're basically giant Spartan anti-theists, and once a year the Kryptoi (or however it's spelled) go on a murder-spree stealthily killing humans with daggers, to curb their population or maybe just for practice. Any who survive wind up under your control and you can use them to assassinate enemy leaders from other nations, like frost giants, flying birdmen, serpent-riding cannibalistic witch-kings, beings born of magma, proto-Viking Berserkers, etc.

Er, so anyway, because of that I'd probably make a D&D Kryptoi(?) as a psychopathic Neutral Evil Cloud Giant with a few levels of Rogue bolted on, per DMG guidance, plus Skulker and Stealth Expertise.

Sparky McDibben
2022-06-09, 09:19 AM
Uh...you're basically asking how to make a state-sponsored terrorist here, man. Not to judge, but how does this character fit with a party? Why would they adventure?

DisaVelet
2022-06-09, 10:15 PM
Uh...you're basically asking how to make a state-sponsored terrorist here, man. Not to judge, but how does this character fit with a party? Why would they adventure?

Me and the dm decided to make him an exiled spartan who got caught killing and stealing (I think the any krpteia who got caught get punished) and he met the party outside of Sparta

Anyhow all I’m worried about is the class and subclass :)