PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Wizard with high carrying capacity.

mehs
2022-06-07, 10:41 PM
So starting a new campaign, playing an arcanist (wizard-sorcerer), and decided to maximize my carrying capacity. Involved in this was putting my 15 in str rather than dex, spending 4k on a heavyload belt and muleback cords, and doing the equivalent of 2 feats just to get another +6 to carrying capacity. The result is rather than having a 66 lbs light load, I have a 1400 lbs light load. I can also cast enlarge person which would do it up to over 3600 lbs. Bulls strength does it to 4800. This is literally just because I consider it hilarious, and want you guys to know.

Batcathat
2022-06-08, 03:40 AM
That reminds me of Arch-Chancellor Ridcully in the Discworld books (for those who aren't familiar, most Discworld wizards are frail and/or fat while the Arch-Chancellor is a fitness nut and outdoorsman).

ciopo
2022-06-08, 04:14 AM
does ant haul stack with all that, and do arcanist have access to that or is it only a divine spell, I don't remember

Jack_Simth
2022-06-08, 07:23 AM
does ant haul stack with all that, and do arcanist have access to that or is it only a divine spell, I don't remember

No, but that's because a Heavyload Belt's rules text is: "The belt’s wearer is affected as though subject to a permanent ant haul spell."

Seward
2022-06-08, 08:13 PM
Ant haul is indeed an arcane spell.

The way to actually maximize it is to do what me and my wife did when we did Golarian versions of Alex Louis Armstrong the Strong Arm Alchemist and his cute little sister Catherine Elle Armstrong (the one who "practices the piano" by casually lifting it over her head)

In her case between routine use of ant haul, 18 starting strength and alter-self (human - herself only +2 str mod better), she could pick up and move other party members of up to about 400lb while still in light load, and somebody like a scrawny elf she could just kinda pick up with one hand and lift with no more effort than I'd use to do a bag of groceries, except more awkward. She had bull strength by level 5, which let her match what her brother was able to do back at level 2....which was...

He started 20 strength, level 1 was mutagenic mauler brawler so 24st if prepared, and level 2 he got ant haul and enlarge via sorcerer. Ant haul was a routine buff, so he'd enter combat with light lift of 700 lb, and if he enlarged himself he'd go to 1836 lb light load. The strength just rose steadily from there, with statbumps and strength items that his baby sister put into other things.

I do applaud your effort. Both of them would be very impressed that somebody with a mere 15 strength could lift more than they could (Louis at your level might have matched it, but you'd be doing it without all those rippling muscles that tear open his shirt)

mehs
2022-06-09, 02:22 PM
He is just a merchant raised by gnomes, and he has a backpack like Beedle's except probably even larger.

Ramza00
2022-06-09, 02:45 PM
Well every 8 in strength more or less triples your carrying capacity (it is a weird formula where every +5 strength doubles your strength but not always) ...
if we started adding magic strength boosting like a strength belt like a giant belt, ant haul spell, mulebook cords, etc other strength and carrying capacity items.

Thus yeah it is easy to boost your carrying capacity. Every 5 strength doubles your strength, every 10 strength quadruples.

Ant Haul is a little weird for it triples your carrying capacity, so it is like a +7 to +8 per strength depending on your starting strength.
Muleback Cords gives you a flat +8 to strength and it stacks with Ant Haul
For Flavor it would be fun to create a flaw where your wizard needs to do 45 minutes of strenuous exercise each day like weight lifting to prepare ones spells. In exchange the Wizard / Arcanist gets Fast Study as a bonus feat.

Thus no change for preparing your spells each day at the start of the day as long as one can weight lift at night or in the morning, but a small benefit if one wants to prepare individual spell slots, and a real significant cost if your wizard with anxiety does not get his stress reliving weight lifting each day.

Endarire
2022-06-09, 06:29 PM
If you can use 3.5 material as well, get a Belt of the Wide Earth to double your carrying capacity among other things! (Magic Item Compendium).

Seward
2022-06-09, 07:45 PM
He is just a merchant raised by gnomes, and he has a backpack like Beedle's except probably even larger.

Nice. I enjoy characters that go the extra mile for how they're raised and what sort of person they are. It's worth maybe not spending all your WBL or feats on the usual optimization on that sort of thing as long as you don't go so far you cripple yourself.

Ramza00
2022-06-09, 08:07 PM
Gnomes carrying Gnomes and having 3 of them in a trench coat pretending to be Medium with a simple disguise

Well all of that is only a light load with Muleback Cord and Heavyload Belt. Using a Hat of Disguise to be the Trenchcoat. :smalltongue:

Ramza00
2022-06-11, 12:32 PM
Adds some more from 3.5

Lighten Load spell (Dragon 317 p78), Cleric 2 / Army Domain 2.

o Increase your Carrying Capacity by +1 Virtual Strength per caster level up to a max of +10.
o Since it is 1 hour per level not cheap to craft, but cheap to give your Cleric a pearl of power 2nd level. 02*10*2000*1 (Modifer for 1 hour per level)=40,000 GP Continous. And if one makes an eternal wand it would cost 2*10*720=14400 for 20 hours and 172800 for 24 hours.
Hauling Back, an Illithid Graft, Market Price if Bought is 2000 gp

o If you are a 2 legged biped creature, this graft says you use the quadruped table for carrying capacity instead even though you have only 2 legs not four.
o Quadrupeds can carry heavier loads than bipeds can. That means if you are Medium and above your total Carrying Capacity after all modifers and enhancers is 1.5x more. (It gets Wonky for Small to Fine Creatures)
o I think this should be called the Animal Farm graft. Four legs good, two legs badbetter!
o Sigh grafts aka complicated magic items that your DM hands out or you waste feats and other things on.
Easy Travel Item (Armor Property), +1,500 gp if bought, Magic Item Compendium

o Treat your Medium Load as a Light Load while wearing this Armor.
o Put another way figure out your Light Carrying Capacity after all magic items, feats, etc. The net total and double that
o Honestly one of the Best Carrying Capacity enhancers since it stacks with everything.
Natural Heavyweight Heritage Feat in Planar Handbook.

o Your carrying capacity is doubled. Double the values given in Table 9—1, page 162 of the Player's Handbook, to determine what your light, medium, and heavy loads are.
o I have no clue how this interact with things that Double or Triple your Carrying Capacity. Do you wait for the final result or would this plus Belt of the Wide Earth treat your double plus double as a triple due to DND Math?

-----

So numbers picked for simplicity sake with not all of the enhancements but just to demonstrate magic items / cost of having friends. I am not picking all the enhancements just going for the ones that are "cheap" and do not have a roleplay / graft component. Likewise I am starting with the starting strength for it is a natural wizard thing to do but also it makes the math easy if you have a total of 28 strength on the CC table.

Take a Medium Size Human with 8 to Normal Strength. (Gotta get those 2 Point Buy Points so you can have an Int of 18 which takes 17 Point Buy by itself)

Ant Haul SpellPF (1st level Wizard), Lighten LoadPaizo DR317 (2nd level Cleric), Enlarge Person SpellPF(1st level Wizard)

Muleback CordsPF (+2000 gp), Easy Travel Robes / Armor3.5 (+1500 gp), Belt of Wide Earth3.5 (+8000 gp)

Total of 28 from 08 (Base)+02 (Size Enlarge Person)+08 (Muleback Cords)+10 (Lighten Load)

Thus carrying capacity is 400 lbs (light load), 800 lbs (medium load)
Enlarge Person makes that 800 lbs (light), 1600 lbs (medium load)

Ant Haul Spell x3 that, Belt of Wide Earth x2 that but that is a total of x4 (x3+x2) with DND math since they add together from the base.

Thus this former 08 Medium Size Wizard can for 1 minute per level pick up a total of 6400 lbs effortlessly as a light load for the cost of 2000+1500+8000 gp=13,500 gp bought not crafted and a 1st level, 2nd level, and 1st level spell slot. Pretty much you are spider-man who is now benching a car effortlessly.

And if you do not need the belt of wide earth (which is useful for being a 2x a day runestaff for your 5th level slots allowing one to sub out a teleport) than it is only 3500 gp. Likewise instead of enlarge person one can do a greater hat of disguise (12000 gp if bought) you remain medium not large but it also gives you the size bonus to strength but also gives you the ability to shapechange in any medium humanoid race or small humanoid race including just being a little more muscly as your base form.