PDA

View Full Version : Is there any relation between move speed and travel pace?

Greywander
2022-06-08, 12:25 AM
I don't believe there is.

I've been working on a class that allows you to turn into a vehicle, and it makes sense to give travel pace improvements as class features at various stages. I'm not sure if travel pace should scale with size (you need to take a larger form to get a faster travel pace) or if it should be the same for all sizes. Letting it be the same for all sizes doesn't seem like it would break anything.

So I guess mostly I was just wondering if there would be an implicit travel pace increase if your move speed increased, but since I don't think the two are connected at all, I think I'll have to manually adjust the travel pace, and can increase it without changing move speed (though I may bump move speed as well).

Edit: I'm noticing travel paces aren't consistent. A fast pace is 400 feet per minute, which should be about 4.5 miles per hour, and about 36 miles per 8 hour day, but it's listed as only 4 mph and 30 miles per day.

solidork
2022-06-08, 07:23 AM
I don't think theres like, a formula you can plug in to calculate it. A point of data you might not be aware of is Quaal's Feather Token: Bird, which summons a flying mount with the statistics of a Roc - the item specifies that it can fly at 16 miles per hour.

Willie the Duck
2022-06-08, 07:58 AM
One assumption I've always had (and this was a lot more necessary back in the TSR days when your move was 120' per one-minute combat round, the same per 10-minute dungeon exploration turn, and magically jumped from feet to yards when out of dungeons) was that those speeds are specifically for specific constrained situations (careful movement in trapped-filled dungeons, daring-but-uncareless movement in combat, etc.) and didn't really reflect either a character's maximum sprint speed or the speed they can reasonably move continuously overland.

Edit: I'm noticing travel paces aren't consistent. A fast pace is 400 feet per minute, which should be about 4.5 miles per hour, and about 36 miles per 8 hour day, but it's listed as only 4 mph and 30 miles per day.

I'm guessing they are anti-padding the longer-term (per hour and per-day) speeds some to account for resting, unstraight roads, and minor travel hazards/difference between map distance travelled and actual miles walked (a few steep hills that shouldn't change the overall terrain listing, but would mean more actual walking to get 30 miles from your start point, for example). Or again just gamist simplicity.