PDA

View Full Version : Signature Cantrips (For that arcane flair and flavor!)

OneWinged4ngel
2007-11-26, 06:04 PM
These cantrips are all designed to give a sort of natural arcane flair to casters (particularly sorcerors). These "signature cantrips" are like long duration prestidigitations with a variety of minor effects that are more for flash than function, that let casters use semi-at-will effects to add that flashy flavor in RP and such without worrying about wasting spell slots. For example, think of Pyro from X-Men 2 and how he always was playing with his lighter's fire? Well, now your pyromancer can do that! Hurrah!

As a variant, you might have sorcerors pick a signature cantrip fitting to some theme at level 1, and get it as a free spell known... then let them cast it at will by level 5.

If there's any interest, I may create more of these.

___

A minor flavor spell I designed for my sorcerous artisan, Merill Nelview.

Spell Name: Merill's Marvelous Masterpiece
Transmutation
Level: Wiz/Sor 0
Components: S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action.
Range: Self, see text
Duration: 1 hour / level
Saving Throw: No
Spell Resistance: No
Material Components: A vial of mixed paints, which are magically seperated into pure colors and absorbed into the caster's fingertips upon casting.
Spell Description:
Small, bright orbs of light of different colors shine from the fingertips of the sorceress. A snaking trail of shimmering colors trails from her hand as she puts it to the canvas, painting in magnificent, beautifully luminescent colors with each stroke.

Shimmering, pure colors shine from the caster's fingertips as she paints and draws with these vivid, luminous colors with a touch. The "ink" from this spell is luminous for 1 minute plus 1 minute/two levels past 1st, shedding light as a candle (dimly illuminates 5 feet). The picture, however, is permanent, and the colors are distinctly vivid and striking compared to more basic inks, despite not being luminous. This spell may be used to draw in thin air, but in this case the "ink" fades after 1 round / +1 round / 2 levels. Casting Merill's Marvelous Masterpiece grants a +2 enhancement bonus on Craft [Painting] checks. This spell does not allow you to ignore the costs of crafting; the crafting materials are used as material components of the spell in this case. Additionally, in this case the components have cost, and thus cannot be eschewed by "Eschew Materials"

-On actions: Painting a rather simple design is usually a full round action that provokes an attack of oppurtunity (Such as, say, drawing something as complex-looking as a lesser dragonmark). A very simple design would be a standard action that provokes an attack of oppurtunity (Such as drawing, say, something as complex-looking as a least dragonmark, or stick figure. Something with a very few lines.). A few lines with no particular form (Such as just smearing an arc of color in the air) is a free action, and is the only case where this does not provoke an attack of oppurtunity.

Painting an elaborate design or full portrait, painting, etc takes a long time, and shouldn't be attempted in any situation where you're worrying about rounds!
___

And another, this time for budding pyromancers

Burning Talent
Evocation (Fire)
Components: S
Spell Resistance: Yes
Spell Description:
"Got a light? No matter..." The flamboyant, wild-haired sorceror shrugs, and snaps his fingers, and a small flame sputters to life between them. He draws the flame up to his pipe, and he puffs on it contentedly, grinning.

The caster can create a small pillar of fire about the size of a candle's flame in his hand, or extending from his fingertip, as a free action at any time during the duration. This flame can be used for any purpouse a tindertwig can, such as lighting a smokestick as a swift action. The flame sheds light brightly out to 5 feet, and dimly illuminates an additional 5 feet. The hand shedding flame must be free (not holding anything). If you hold an object with it while it's casting light, you must discharge the spell on it.

The fire can deal 1d3 points of damage with a successful melee touch attack by the caster. However, this use of the spell discharges the spell's energy, and ends the spell effect.

In addition, at any time during the duration, the caster may manipulate any diminutive or smaller flame (including the flame on his fingertip) anywhere up to a maximum 2 foot distance from you, and form fleeting shapes and pictures with it. Concentration is required to maintain the shaping flames, and they dissipate upon ending concentration.

___

Wild Spark
Evocation (Electricity)
Saving Throw: None, see text
Spell Resistance: Yes, for all effects
Spell Description:
"Why, it's so nice to meet you!" the sorceror greets heartily, holding out his hand. As the other man takes it, he starts from a sudden minor electric shock. "Ha, gotcha," the caster jives. The other mutters a curse about immature pranksters...

The caster may create a static charge in his hand at any time during the duration of this spell as a free action, and may also turn off the effect as a free action. This causes a minor static jolt to anyone who touches the caster with their hands or with some conductive material between them (like a sword, or metal wall that they are both touching), which is weak enough that it does no damage. In the case of a large gap between the caster and target that are both touching a conductive material, the maximum range is 25 feet. Alternatively, you make take a standard action to make a touch attack against a target to cause this minor jolt.

The caster can also create small sparks at their fingertips at will during the duration, which dimly (and rather erratically) lights 5 feet. The sparks may be used as a flint and steel for the purpouses of lighting a fire.

As a standard action, the caster may create a burst of sparks in any five foot square within Close range (25 feet + 5 ft/2 levels), dimly lighting the five foot area for 1 round and Dazzling any target within the area (fortitude save negates) for as long as they remain within the area of effect.

As a standard action, the caster may choose to discharge the spell (and thus end its effect) in order to focus the lightning flowing through him and cause 1d3 point of electricity damage (no save) and Dazzles the target for one round (fortitude save negates) to a target who has been affected by the minor jolt.

___

Another fun cantrip, for necromancers!

Achromic Touch
Necromancy
Spell Resistance: No
Material Components: None
Spell Description:
The man in the deep hooded, black, shapeless robe takes long strides down the hallway, walking with an air of pride and confidence, occasionally picking over the corpse of a fallen guard of the temple. He laughs wickedly, and drags his fingers across the wall, leaving a bland, colorless streak in their wake, stripping substance from the walls. As he passes a torch, he waves his hand across it, and the hall is cast into shadows.

At any time during the spell's duration, the caster may choose to make his touch drain the color and light from anything he touches. During this effect, anything he touches becomes a dull greyscale where the caster's fingertips touch. Also if the caster passes by any Small or smaller nonmagical light source (you must be within 5 feet), it only casts dim illumination instead of bright illumination (and no illumination beyond that) for 1 rounds/level (Max 10), draining the color out of the flame.

Touching an item affected with Continuous Flame, Light or an Everbright Lantern will cause it to cast dim illumination instead of bright illumination (and no illumination beyond that) for 1 round +1 round/2 levels (Max 5). More powerful sources of light (such as Daylight) cannot be affected.

Tiny or smaller plants wilt within 10 feet as you pass, and remain that way for 1 minute after you leave the space. They appear as if sickened.

Alternatively, you could describe the touch as trailing black dried veins which stick to the surface (These can be easily brushed off), or anything else that you like for flavor.

This spell counters Light.

Feedback appreciated, as are any ideas for more such "signature cantrips." :smallbiggrin:

Andraste
2007-11-26, 10:29 PM
If the achromic touch was used on a creature, would it just become colorless were touched, or would there be some other effect alike to the plants?

Magnor Criol
2007-11-27, 12:16 AM
These have a great feel to them; I love cantrips, and like to see more of them. You've done a good job with the fluff 'n' flavor of them.

The phrase "No in-game effect" in Wild Spark's description glares out at me; that's just too blatant to fit right. I think you should change it to "no measurable effect" or "no noticeable effect" or something similar, and remove the used of "in-game". But that's a fluff thing.

Though Achromatic fits with the usual evil bent of most necromancy spells, it shouldn't be in the Necromancy school, as it's doing nothing that affects life or life energy, merely draining colors. It should really be an Illusion, or perhaps even a Universal spell - but not Necromancy.

OneWinged4ngel
2007-11-27, 02:38 AM
These have a great feel to them; I love cantrips, and like to see more of them. You've done a good job with the fluff 'n' flavor of them.

The phrase "No in-game effect" in Wild Spark's description glares out at me; that's just too blatant to fit right. I think you should change it to "no measurable effect" or "no noticeable effect" or something similar, and remove the used of "in-game". But that's a fluff thing. Will change that, then.

Though Achromatic Nitpick: It's Achromic. And yes, it's a real word =P
fits with the usual evil bent of most necromancy spells, it shouldn't be in the Necromancy school, as it's doing nothing that affects life or life energy, merely draining colors. It should really be an Illusion, or perhaps even a Universal spell - but not Necromancy. Actually, it wilts small plants... and color is often connected to life energies both symbolically and physically (someone grows pale when sick or dead, for example).

If the achromic touch was used on a creature, would it just become colorless were touched, or would there be some other effect alike to the plants?

I imagine your skin would turn pale in the vicinity of the area touched, and you might feel slightly ill.

CabbageTheif
2007-11-27, 09:32 AM
so then, should a will/fort save be in order for A.T.? something easy to overcome, but if failed, sickened?

magic_unlocked
2007-11-27, 01:59 PM
I like these. Would you mind if I used these? Anyhow, as for spell save, we already have a formula. 10 + spell level + relavant caster modifier. Since this is a 0-level spell, it'll be 10 + relavant caster mod (cha for bards/sorcerers, int for wizards). With a score of 18 it'll be a DC 14 check. Savable (spelling?) even by a level 1 commoner, albeit, with a bit of luck.

Chaos Evoker
2007-11-27, 03:02 PM
Curious: Doesn't it seem like Achromic Touch would provide a minor bonus to Hide checks?

Mewtarthio
2007-11-27, 04:25 PM
Curious: Doesn't it seem like Achromic Touch would provide a minor bonus to Hide checks?

It would remove any ad-hoc circumstance penalties for wearing brightly-colored, gaudy clothing.

Baron Corm
2007-11-27, 06:35 PM
Do you think you could make a cantrip like this for a cleric of a disease god? The necromancy one wouldn't really work because he's not really intimidating or anything; he's this ratty little guy who runs around spreading disease and making people's lives worse in general.

magic_unlocked
2007-11-27, 07:05 PM
I think a cantrip (or orison [spelling?]) lacks the power to do that. Cantrips are basic spells that do very minor things. The most damage a cantrip can do is 1d3 energy damage, or 1d6 disruption damage to undead. The most solid thing a 0-level spell can make is 2 gallons of clean water i believe.

Baron Corm
2007-11-27, 07:08 PM
Oh yeah, I don't expect him to use this orison (thanks for correction) for actually spreading the disease; the pestilence domain lets him do that excellently. I just want something flavorful to use my Level 0 slots on instead of detect magic.

magic_unlocked
2007-11-27, 07:17 PM
What about an orison that lets you imatate the "cosmetic" effects of diseases? Like, growing boils and the like, but no mechanical effect. Meaning, if the target tried to get rid of them, the boil would flake away laving a mild itch, like that of a standard mosquito.

Thoughts?

Baron Corm
2007-11-27, 08:40 PM
Well it's just, I can give people diseases pretty easily already, I guess what I should be focusing more on with this orison is his greedy, self-serving nature. A purely cosmetic boil-inducing spell with no mechanical effects is actually worse than something like ray of frost; I can't even think of a situation where I'd use it.

Something which lasts 1/hour per level like the ones above which helps him be a ratty little cheating evil disease-man that makes you want to punch him in the face would be useful to me.

OneWinged4ngel
2007-11-27, 09:13 PM
so then, should a will/fort save be in order for A.T.? something easy to overcome, but if failed, sickened?

Sickened is too extreme, if you ask me. I'd make it so that it expended the spell, much like the elemental ones, if it had an effect that potent.

What about an orison that lets you imatate the "cosmetic" effects of diseases? Like, growing boils and the like, but no mechanical effect. Meaning, if the target tried to get rid of them, the boil would flake away laving a mild itch, like that of a standard mosquito.

Thoughts?

Sounds like the talents of the legendary Beggar Prince from the Elder Scrolls setting.

magic_unlocked
2007-11-27, 09:15 PM
Hmm... *thinks* I don't think it is worse that ray of frost. Would you say prestidigitation [spelling?] is worse than ray of frost? And i never specified the duration of the spell. I was trying to get the effect you desired then build off that. At the moment, I can't think of what you are looking for.

OneWinged4ngel
2007-11-27, 09:18 PM
I like these. Would you mind if I used these? Of course you can use them. What kinda question is that? Why else would I put them up on the internet than to share my work? I only ask that people acknowledge my work as mine.

It is possible that it could create circumstances that would grant either a circumstance bonus or negate a circumstance penalty, like Mewtwothario said. However, such things do not need to be described in the spell description itself.

magic_unlocked
2007-11-27, 09:24 PM
Thankies. And I asked cause I'd rather be polite then just assume something is up for grabs. Less paperwork involved. xD

smart thog
2007-12-03, 01:32 PM
This reminds of this compiant I have. Why is that a 50th level wizard with a INT of 96 can rain fire from the sky more times per day then he can entertian rubes with predgisation. so I believe that, starting at 15 level, all casters who have cantrips or orisions may use any level zero spell at will.

magic_unlocked
2007-12-03, 01:39 PM
No idea, really. Why not just have 0-level spells be castable at 4, 6, (whatever their maximum value is) + the spell casters level? Mind you, not their caster level, but their level. Derived from all classes that stack in determining spell casting power. So prestige classes factor into this. ^_^

stilettoblade
2008-02-11, 03:53 PM
I like these a lot! I'm a big fan of casters having one or two cantrips that are sort of unique to their personality.

My swashbuckler/bard, who is a big showoff, has a cantrip I created (with a little input from the forums here) called Shiver, that makes a feeling like a cold shiver down the target's spine. He often uses it in conjunction with a bluff check to make someone think he has just placed some horrible deadly curse on them.

I'd love to see some more cantrips from you!

jagadaishio
2008-02-11, 04:04 PM
Do I detect thread necromancy?

magic_unlocked
2008-02-11, 04:15 PM
Seems so, huh?

brian c
2008-02-11, 05:01 PM
Do I detect thread necromancy?

I saw this on the first page, and the OP is a guy who's been banned for months.

magic_unlocked
2008-02-12, 05:02 AM
Yeah. So... what now?

Zenos
2008-02-12, 08:20 AM
What about an orison that makes the target get small boils and get slightly sickened for one round, and maybe makes mushrooms grow on nonliving matter?

magic_unlocked
2008-02-12, 08:35 AM
That's... interesting. It seems more like a druid-specific spell to me though.