PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Making a Word Caster

nordsturmking
2022-06-09, 12:02 PM
Last week I stumbled upon the words of power system in ultimate magic. And I really really like the idea. It kind of is what I always missed in the spell casting system. And by that I mean a normal sorcerer can fast fireball for example but I can't cast a line or hit just one enemy with fire but this system makes all that possible.

I read a few guides mainly “Sorcerer Specific Guide To Word’s Of Power" by Kbrewer but that guide is almost ten years old now.
And i read the short part about it in "Building God’s Grimoire: Iluzry’s Guide to Sorcerer Spells & Spellcasting "

But before I invest a lot of time in building a character around it, I would like to hear peoples opinions about the system especially from people who have actually played it.
What do you like about it and what you don't like.
What advise would you give
What are things you missed playing it and so on.

As far as paizo goes ultimate magic is the only source right?
I also found these:
WoP Supplement
Lost Spell Words by Jon Brazer Enterprises
Energy Words Revisited by Jon Brazer Enterprises
Book of Magic: 10 Undead Spell Words by Jon Brazer Enterprises
Word of Power Unleashed by Interjection Games

All info and advise is appreciated :)

Ramza00
2022-06-09, 12:27 PM
I tried to make it work, but it is a tacked on system, with like only 4 gems, and not enough good things to make it work,

I have not looked into this 2nd part of the post, but to my understanding the spheres system is like a word caster system, but thought it through, and fixed its shortcomings. Now to my understanding (I have not played Spheres) you kind of have the opposite problem with spheres vs words, there are so many directions one can go, a kaleidoscope of possibilities, it dwarfs the 3000 or so odd spells in 3.5 and Pathfinder for one can mix and match.

Eldonauran
2022-06-09, 01:30 PM
I don't touch 3rd party material to any degree in which to offer advice on, so I can't help you there.

I've toyed with the Words of Power system a good bit and I have to echo Ramza00 a little here. You lose a bit more than you gain if you decide to switch ENTIRELY to using that system for your spellcasting. The only real exceptions are having the ability to tailor the saving throw to a spell based on the target and if you are extremely selective on your effect choices and use your feats to pick up the words of power, rather than convert your list entirely. Specifically, Experimental Spellcaster (https://aonprd.com/FeatDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Experimental%20Spellcast er) and Extra Word (https://aonprd.com/FeatDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Extra%20Word).

The way Words of Power work, you only need to know a few effect words to actually deal a decent amount of damage regardless of the actual level of that effect word. So, for a blasting oriented Sorcerer, its pretty useful. I still recommend just spending a feat or two and leave it at that.

StSword
2022-06-09, 01:41 PM
Sadly it never got a lot of love, but I am aware of a supplement you missed.

Purple Duck Games' Legendary Classes: Rune Magic which uses words of power as runic magic for the Runecaster, an alternative class for the Alchemist.

Did the guides you read mention Lock Ward (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/variant-magic-rules/words-of-power/effect-words/lock-ward) shenanigans? It's been forever since I've read them.

Once you can combine effects you can then make all sorts of traps, including beneficial traps.

So say you could load up a martial ally with a book of acceleration or healing.

Rynjin
2022-06-09, 09:45 PM
Unfortunately the primary thing you need to know about Words of Power is that it's incomplete and was never really made to be used.

Spheres of Power (a very popular third party system) essentially provides the same idea you're looking for (flexible casting that can be changed on the fly, especially for blasting) but more fully realized.

StSword
2022-06-11, 09:27 PM
While honestly I have no actual idea if you are even up for other magic systems that might scratch your itch, I thought I might comment.

I adore spheres of power, truly, but I'm not sure it's in general a helpful suggestion. Yes, it is a modular system, but you have to buy the options individually. So if you wanted to be able to cast a fireball or a fireline like in your example, that would be the destruction sphere for the base ability, the sculpt blast talent to change the area of effect, and the fire blast talent to make it fire.

That's three talents, that would be all the talents you'd get as a first level spherecaster without spending feats. .I don't think that's what you're looking for in terms of versatility. There are two spherecasters that have flexible talents- a 15th level Thaumaturge, or a sphere Arcanist with the Quick Study exploit.

Generally I'd say SoP is great for when you want magic to be individual- like Faerie Tail or Black Clover. You could have a game in which the entire party use Spheres of Power and all of them could play differently.

Elements of Magic (rpg.net/reviews/archive/12/12730.phtml) seems to be more your speed if wordcasting disappoints you. Instead of learning individual spells, you learn spell lists like abjure or charm, there are eleven lists, and you can combine them. So you could make a charm spell that enhances the victim so they make a better meat shield for you.

There's also the spellweaver (https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product_reviews_info.php?&reviews_id=67372&products_id=99008), a class that uses skill based magic in which they can change the modifier at the cost of changing the DC of the roll.

There's also Green Ronin's True Sorcery, but while more versatile than vancian casting it goes for a lower power level, so that might or might not be a deal breaker for you.

There's also Mongoose's Chaos Magic, originally from Encyclopedia Arcane Chaos Magic (https://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/classic/rev_5673.phtml) but later expanded in The Quintessential Chaos Mage, is also a skill based system. You're character will end up turning into a tree or something.

There's also the Maven class from Little Red Goblin Games' Alt paths Magic 2. It uses regular spells, but their schtick is really mastering spells. They gain metamagic feats for free and they can choose up to 6 spells that they can augment. Take fireball as an example. Want sonicballs or forceballs? Sure. Want to make a positive energy ball to heal allies and damage undead? Sure thing. Fire burst, line, or cone? Why not?

Samurai Sheepdog has the Thaumaturgist class from Lands of Theia that might spark your interest. They can combine spells like a wordcaster can combine words. They could cast a burning hands/magic missile/shocking grasp, or cure light wounds/shield/protection from evil. Also seems like something that might interest you.

So hopefully you'll like at least one of those.

Rynjin
2022-06-11, 11:50 PM
I adore spheres of power, truly, but I'm not sure it's in general a helpful suggestion. Yes, it is a modular system, but you have to buy the options individually. So if you wanted to be able to cast a fireball or a fireline like in your example, that would be the destruction sphere for the base ability, the sculpt blast talent to change the area of effect, and the fire blast talent to make it fire.

That's three talents, that would be all the talents you'd get as a first level spherecaster without spending feats. .I don't think that's what you're looking for in terms of versatility. There are two spherecasters that have flexible talents- a 15th level Thaumaturge, or a sphere Arcanist with the Quick Study exploit.

Generally I'd say SoP is great for when you want magic to be individual- like Faerie Tail or Black Clover. You could have a game in which the entire party use Spheres of Power and all of them could play differently.

Words works the same way actually. You have to learn "Effect" Words, "Target" Words, and "Meta" Words separately as part of leveling. Eg. a 1st level Wizard using WoP could know the "Burning Flash" Effect word, and "Cone" Target word to create the equivalent of Burning Hands, or instead apply the "Selected" Word to make it a single target fire spell.

But each word, effect and targeting both come from the same limited pool of Words known.

StSword
2022-06-12, 01:51 AM
Words works the same way actually. You have to learn "Effect" Words, "Target" Words, and "Meta" Words separately as part of leveling. Eg. a 1st level Wizard using WoP could know the "Burning Flash" Effect word, and "Cone" Target word to create the equivalent of Burning Hands, or instead apply the "Selected" Word to make it a single target fire spell.

But each word, effect and targeting both come from the same limited pool of Words known.

At first level, less so as one advances.

Wordcasters learn words at the same rate one normally gains spells.

A highcaster gets 20 talents from leveling, plus their two talents from having a tradition. Another three talents are possible from FCB, so 25. Unless you are an incanter. Barring feats of course.

A wordcaster sorcerer at 20th level is going to know 34 words, plus 9 cantrip words. Plus those bloodline spells. Barring feats, which a wordcaster could use to buy two words per feat if they are willing to forgo the highest level they can cast. I would assume that a wordcaster game would allow one to learn extra words via FCB since the rules make a one for one substitution, but I suppose a GM might actually be picky about that.

So 25 talents versus 43 words plus 9 spells.

Wordcaster wizards can buy more words to know with cash, as much as they can afford or desire, whichever comes first.

Rynjin
2022-06-12, 02:10 AM
Talents are overall more impactful though in most cases, so it's kind of a wash.

Kitsuneymg
2022-06-12, 08:32 AM
While honestly I have no actual idea if you are even up for other magic systems that might scratch your itch, I thought I might comment.

It’s one talent if the only kind of blasting you want to do is fire lines and cones. That’s literally what sphere specific drawbacks are for. Id spend a second for gather energy, or a feat for shape expert, but that’s up to you. In addition, a first level sorcerer gets 3 talents, and if they don’t like their bloodline arcana, can trade it for a +1 to CL in one sphere and that base sphere talent.

And there are far more flexible casters in SoP. Without even looking at the wiki:

Witch or shaman can get the mutable magic hex that grants a moldable talent like an arcanist. Without investment, it changes daily.

Spiritualism hedgewitch gets martial flexibility like a brawler, but for magic and combat spheres too. I think it’s a slower action though. Prodigies likewise get flexible combat and magic spheres. 5th level inheritor sorcerers do as well (they get martial flex at level 1.) those are the same as brawler’s actions (move at first. Then swift for one, move for two. Etc.)

All sphere wizards can choose to get a smite-evil-like-progression of flexible talents. Magus 5(?) gets to choose a talent every day. At 15(?) they get a second. The cosmic sage wizard archetype can scribe any scroll (+5 dc without base sphere) and use any scroll (no UMD or base sphere required.) Thats in addition to the 1+1/3-beyond-1 flex talent/day.

Any caster can take the pair of item crafting feats that lets them craft at full CL (well ranks in a craft skill) and ignore base sphere prerequisites.

Finally the advanced conjuration summoning/calling talent let’s you start the whole planar binding thing at level 1. There’s a lot of spell effects you can have access to, depending on CL.

For proper comparison, I would suggest a sphere wizard/incanter, rather than a sphere sorcerer, as a point of comparison. Without taking the charge magic or prepared casting general drawbacks, spheres casting is essential the same as a vanilla sorcerer. You know magical effects and can pick and choose them on the fly, without needing to do any thought other than “what effects do I gain on level up?”

An incanter or wizard both get 30 talents over 20 levels (odd levels grant 2). They get the two free talents all characters do upon gaining sphere casting. Wizards get a specialization and a focus/familiar. Their focus is what grants flex spheres. The specialization grants domain-like powers, +1 to CL in one sphere, and a bonus/base talent of that sphere. Incanters get 11 bonus feats (like a fighter) but can trade them for other benefits (play a wizard if you want to do this IMO.) sphere talents can be bought for feats, so both a wizard and incanter can start with 5 talents from class abilities.

That gives an incanter an upper bound of 43 sphere talents from class abilities. And each talent scales to level. WBL can buy more talents as well. A +1 staff with the +2 Magic Talent option is 18k.

Sphere specific drawbacks can push this even higher by giving up or limiting your abilities to get more/other options.

If playing with advanced talents, your characters should be similar in feel to a sorcerer from base pathfinder at high levels. You’ll only have the options you’ve selected to know, plus a limited number of purchased ones. You won’t (unless you choose to restrict yourself with general drawbacks) be required to prepare your spells in advance and can cast anything you know until out of power. Your save based spells will be better, but you’ll have a harder time going “out of your lane” with spells. A high level cleric can just learn heal. A Life caster needs multiple talents to replicate heal, but they can spam it waaaaay more and don’t need to prep.

Several themes (blasting and healing among them) are far better in SoP, IMO. Generalists (true pathfinder wizards) are hard to approximate by design. But you can still get limited generalists with flex talents and item crafting.

nordsturmking
2022-06-25, 03:40 AM
First of I am sorry it took me so long to respond to all this great advice you guys gave. I really appreciate it thanks.

I plan on making a full word caster sorcerer with the arcane blood line and sage bloodline mutation.
This char will be a God sorcerer meaning I want to focus on buffs and debuffs and not so much on blasting.
I don't want to minmax damage output or anything like that. I really like to read through all the options and can spend hours up on hours on d20pfsrd.com reading all the great stuff paizo has made. But sometimes I over do it and end with a overly powerful char. So I am really not concerned with the char being too weak.

I also want to try the Active Spellcasting Variant Rules especially the Spell Attack Roll. I was never a fan of how it works where i say i cast fire ball and just lose a slot and i don't roll a dice and have no chance of miscasting or doing critical damage. It manly just changes who rolls the save but i think its gonna feel much better and more satisfying when making a successful casting via a spell attack roll. And I think its only fair to the martial classes who can have critical misses.

I tried to make it work, but it is a tacked on system, with like only 4 gems, and not enough good things to make it work,

I have not looked into this 2nd part of the post, but to my understanding the spheres system is like a word caster system, but thought it through, and fixed its shortcomings. Now to my understanding (I have not played Spheres) you kind of have the opposite problem with spheres vs words, there are so many directions one can go, a kaleidoscope of possibilities, it dwarfs the 3000 or so odd spells in 3.5 and Pathfinder for one can mix and match.
thanks for the suggestion of the spheres system. I looked into it and it seems to be a good system but is looks like a whole different system for implementing magic. And for now it differs to much from the pathfinder system.

I don't touch 3rd party material to any degree in which to offer advice on, so I can't help you there.

I've toyed with the Words of Power system a good bit and I have to echo Ramza00 a little here. You lose a bit more than you gain if you decide to switch ENTIRELY to using that system for your spellcasting. The only real exceptions are having the ability to tailor the saving throw to a spell based on the target and if you are extremely selective on your effect choices and use your feats to pick up the words of power, rather than convert your list entirely. Specifically, Experimental Spellcaster and Extra Word.

The way Words of Power work, you only need to know a few effect words to actually deal a decent amount of damage regardless of the actual level of that effect word. So, for a blasting oriented Sorcerer, its pretty useful. I still recommend just spending a feat or two and leave it at that.
I will keep your advise in mind.
Why don't you touch 3rd party material is it because of balance issues?

Sadly it never got a lot of love, but I am aware of a supplement you missed.

Purple Duck Games' Legendary Classes: Rune Magic which uses words of power as runic magic for the Runecaster, an alternative class for the Alchemist.

Did the guides you read mention Lock Ward shenanigans? It's been forever since I've read them.

Once you can combine effects you can then make all sorts of traps, including beneficial traps.

So say you could load up a martial ally with a book of acceleration or healing.
Thanks I will have a look at Purple Duck Games' Legendary Classes: Rune Magic
And yes i have read about the crazy stuff you can do with the lock ward.

And thank you very much for this whole list of systems i had no idea there where so many.
I agree wiht you the spheres system looks great, especially the promise to make martial classes more powerful on higher lvls so they don't get over shadowed by casters.

I read a bit about the spellweaver it sounds interessting but i need to look more into it.
The same goes for elements of magic.

Unfortunately the primary thing you need to know about Words of Power is that it's incomplete and was never really made to be used.

Spheres of Power (a very popular third party system) essentially provides the same idea you're looking for (flexible casting that can be changed on the fly, especially for blasting) but more fully realized.
I think the words of power system has enough stuff to be playable. Sure more material and a more polished system would be nice. I will add 3rd party material if I think the paizo stuff is not enough.

It’s one talent if the only kind of blasting you want to do is fire lines and cones. That’s literally what sphere specific drawbacks are for. Id spend a second for gather energy, or a feat for shape expert, but that’s up to you. In addition, a first level sorcerer gets 3 talents, and if they don’t like their bloodline arcana, can trade it for a +1 to CL in one sphere and that base sphere talent.

And there are far more flexible casters in SoP. Without even looking at the wiki:

Witch or shaman can get the mutable magic hex that grants a moldable talent like an arcanist. Without investment, it changes daily.

Spiritualism hedgewitch gets martial flexibility like a brawler, but for magic and combat spheres too. I think it’s a slower action though. Prodigies likewise get flexible combat and magic spheres. 5th level inheritor sorcerers do as well (they get martial flex at level 1.) those are the same as brawler’s actions (move at first. Then swift for one, move for two. Etc.)

All sphere wizards can choose to get a smite-evil-like-progression of flexible talents. Magus 5(?) gets to choose a talent every day. At 15(?) they get a second. The cosmic sage wizard archetype can scribe any scroll (+5 dc without base sphere) and use any scroll (no UMD or base sphere required.) Thats in addition to the 1+1/3-beyond-1 flex talent/day.

Any caster can take the pair of item crafting feats that lets them craft at full CL (well ranks in a craft skill) and ignore base sphere prerequisites.

Finally the advanced conjuration summoning/calling talent let’s you start the whole planar binding thing at level 1. There’s a lot of spell effects you can have access to, depending on CL.

For proper comparison, I would suggest a sphere wizard/incanter, rather than a sphere sorcerer, as a point of comparison. Without taking the charge magic or prepared casting general drawbacks, spheres casting is essential the same as a vanilla sorcerer. You know magical effects and can pick and choose them on the fly, without needing to do any thought other than “what effects do I gain on level up?”

An incanter or wizard both get 30 talents over 20 levels (odd levels grant 2). They get the two free talents all characters do upon gaining sphere casting. Wizards get a specialization and a focus/familiar. Their focus is what grants flex spheres. The specialization grants domain-like powers, +1 to CL in one sphere, and a bonus/base talent of that sphere. Incanters get 11 bonus feats (like a fighter) but can trade them for other benefits (play a wizard if you want to do this IMO.) sphere talents can be bought for feats, so both a wizard and incanter can start with 5 talents from class abilities.

That gives an incanter an upper bound of 43 sphere talents from class abilities. And each talent scales to level. WBL can buy more talents as well. A +1 staff with the +2 Magic Talent option is 18k.

Sphere specific drawbacks can push this even higher by giving up or limiting your abilities to get more/other options.

If playing with advanced talents, your characters should be similar in feel to a sorcerer from base pathfinder at high levels. You’ll only have the options you’ve selected to know, plus a limited number of purchased ones. You won’t (unless you choose to restrict yourself with general drawbacks) be required to prepare your spells in advance and can cast anything you know until out of power. Your save based spells will be better, but you’ll have a harder time going “out of your lane” with spells. A high level cleric can just learn heal. A Life caster needs multiple talents to replicate heal, but they can spam it waaaaay more and don’t need to prep.

Several themes (blasting and healing among them) are far better in SoP, IMO. Generalists (true pathfinder wizards) are hard to approximate by design. But you can still get limited generalists with flex talents and item crafting.
Thank you for your detailed analysis of the SoP system. I might use it my next campaign as GM.

StSword
2022-06-25, 10:26 AM
Are you familiar with the Dnd 3x Warlock?

Spheres of Power seems to be inspired by the Warlock, really. Destruction is basically eldritch blast by another name.

And just as a Warlock could customize their eldritch blast with shape and/or essence invocations, a spherecaster can customize their base sphere abilities with talents.

I hope that helps getting your mind around it.

Eldonauran
2022-06-26, 10:56 AM
Yes and no.

The main reason I don't touch 3rd party material (mostly) is that there is simply too much of it and, because of that, I cannot possibly keep up with it. Some of what I have seen is easily exploitable within the framework of the system and has to be confined from other subsystems to prevent egregious abuses. With that comes the inevitable arguments from players who think things work to their benefit.

Another reason I don't really bother with it is that there's already plenty of material to work with that covers just about every concept, and I have plenty of flexibility to house rule or tweak things to make them fit even more esoteric requests. I have still yet to play every single class in 1st party product, though I am quite aware of how the vast majority of them work and function in play.

The final reason is related to balance issues, mostly towards the 'power creep'. There is simply too much of it, and as much as I LIKE some of the 3rd party materials, namely the revamp of the Magic of the Incarnum system, it begins to wear on me after a while. It is inevitable the longer a system is out for but, for me, once it reaches a point where it is actually a detriment to take classes from the original core book, we've reached the tipping point.

To keep it simple... I look to 3rd part stuff to give me ideas. I rarely ever use the material as is. I see it merely as a more organized gathering of houserules. Guidelines and suggestions.

Spheres of Power seems to be inspired by the Warlock, really. Destruction is basically eldritch blast by another name.

And just as a Warlock could customize their eldritch blast with shape and/or essence invocations, a spherecaster can customize their base sphere abilities with talents.

Interestingly enough, I once converted the skills/HP/BAB of the warlock into Pathfinder 1e and it functioned just fine within the rules system. As far as I am concerned, the Warlock is a core class in my games.

Kitsuneymg
2022-06-26, 03:24 PM
First of I am sorry it took me so long to respond to all this great advice you guys gave. I really appreciate it thanks.

I plan on making a full word caster sorcerer with the arcane blood line and sage bloodline mutation.
This char will be a God sorcerer meaning I want to focus on buffs and debuffs and not so much on blasting.
I don't want to minmax damage output or anything like that. I really like to read through all the options and can spend hours up on hours on d20pfsrd.com reading all the great stuff paizo has made. But sometimes I over do it and end with a overly powerful char. So I am really not concerned with the char being too weak.

I also want to try the Active Spellcasting Variant Rules especially the Spell Attack Roll. I was never a fan of how it works where i say i cast fire ball and just lose a slot and i don't roll a dice and have no chance of miscasting or doing critical damage. It manly just changes who rolls the save but i think its gonna feel much better and more satisfying when making a successful casting via a spell attack roll. And I think its only fair to the martial classes who can have critical misses.

thanks for the suggestion of the spheres system. I looked into it and it seems to be a good system but is looks like a whole different system for implementing magic. And for now it differs to much from the pathfinder system.

Thanks I will have a look at Purple Duck Games' Legendary Classes: Rune Magic
And yes i have read about the crazy stuff you can do with the lock ward.

And thank you very much for this whole list of systems i had no idea there where so many.
I agree wiht you the spheres system looks great, especially the promise to make martial classes more powerful on higher lvls so they don't get over shadowed by casters.

I read a bit about the spellweaver it sounds interessting but i need to look more into it.
The same goes for elements of magic.

I think the words of power system has enough stuff to be playable. Sure more material and a more polished system would be nice. I will add 3rd party material if I think the paizo stuff is not enough.

Thank you for your detailed analysis of the SoP system. I might use it my next campaign as GM.

There’s a discord linked from the sop wiki page, but if you don’t wanna hit that, there are a few of us that lurk around here that can answer spheres questions or just give experience based on play and GMing it.

StSword
2022-06-30, 06:15 PM
Oh thought of two more options for those who want more freeform magic.

Legends of High Sorcery by Distant Horizon Games has Wizards and Clerics who use the traditional Vancian style magic. Sorcerers and Druids however do not, they are spellweavers (yeah not really related to the previous Spellweavers mentioned) who cast from hit points. Instead of learning individual spells, each "spell" they know is a path along a specific sphere. For example in Black Magic there is the Agonaire spell, which covers pain, physical, emotional, and spiritual, or Storm Dance of the Inner Way which grants superspeed and stunts based on it.

This one is different, but I thought I should mention it to be complete- The Book of Iron Might by Mike Mearls is primarily a book about letting martials have more fun.

However, it includes a stunting system, you know for swashbuckling kind of stuff, the Exalted rpg has a stunt system. An optional rule as part of that stunting system allows spellcasters to use their spellcaster level and casting attribute. So say you could have a game where a Wizard can jump across an impossible breach by growing angel wings to keep them aloft (normally Athletics), or divine the next move an opponent makes in combat (instead of Sense Motive).

It also includes an optional combat stunts system for improvisational attacks.

While the rules suggestion is for magic stunts in addition to regular casting, honestly I think if done right that could be the only magic system in a game and players could still have plenty of fun.

nordsturmking
2022-07-05, 12:39 PM

no i don't i am not familiar with the Dnd 3x Warlock, but thanks

Yes and no.

To keep it simple... I look to 3rd part stuff to give me ideas. I rarely ever use the material as is. I see it merely as a more organized gathering of houserules. Guidelines and suggestions.

Interestingly enough, I once converted the skills/HP/BAB of the warlock into Pathfinder 1e and it functioned just fine within the rules system. As far as I am concerned, the Warlock is a core class in my games.

Ok thanks for explaining and telling your reasons. I have not much experience with 3pp stuff.

I am looking for resources for the words of power system. Like spell cards a reference sheet(could be for magic in general) etc. does any one have an idea where i coudl find those? I know about the two guides in this forum and the stuff i metioned in my OP.

StSword
2022-07-05, 02:42 PM
Sorry, no.