PDA

View Full Version : DM Help The South Wind: Delusional Diviner

Geopol4r
2022-06-10, 10:41 AM
I have an idea for a DMPC.
Great diviner, did big things for a kingdom. But he was ambitous, powerhungry, and delusional. They bestowed the title of The South Wind on him, and now he thinks he is the actual South Wind. But he is benevolent, because that's what the Winds are viewed as. I'm thinking he needs to be a messenger, and someone who can learn anything, and my build so far is just Wizard 20 with divination specialization and spell thematics. What would you guys do to make a better South Wind?

Analytica
2022-06-10, 10:50 AM
Add Unseen Seer so you also get Divination and Augury for spells. Seriously dump stat Wisdom. Spontaneous Divination ACF.

OR...

Seer 3/Diviner 7/Cerebremancer 10.

Telonius
2022-06-10, 11:16 AM
It's been a very long time since I've looked over the Shugenja class (Order of the All-Seeing Eye), but it might be an option for you. Elemental themed, Divine caster, Charisma-based, and with the Order spell you've got some Divinations.

Doctor Despair
2022-06-10, 11:59 AM
I actually made a thread dedicated to divination (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?635807-Back-to-the-Future-Making-a-Prophet-off-of-Divination) recently! Well, relatively recently, haha

Medani Prophet is very powerful, but Sybil fits your fluff better. Both is ideal of course

sleepyphoenixx
2022-06-10, 01:46 PM
I actually made a thread dedicated to divination (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?635807-Back-to-the-Future-Making-a-Prophet-off-of-Divination) recently! Well, relatively recently, haha

Medani Prophet is very powerful, but Sybil fits your fluff better. Both is ideal of course

Very nice. Your thread is going into my bookmarks.
It seems to be missing Dream Dwarves (RoS) though. With their 90ft natural darkvision, +1 to divination CL and Dream Sight they make terrific diviners.
Divine Oracles Divination Enhancement is also very nice.

You should also add the Hand of the Adama class (ShS) for it's own, rather unique Divination Enhancement ability:

Divination Enhancement (Ex): Beginning at 3rd level, a hand of the Adama adds twice his hand of the Adama level to his percentage chance of success when using divination spells such as augury or divination. If a cleric 11/hand of the Adama 4 casts divination, his chance of success is 70% (base) + 15% (1% per caster level) +8% (2x his hand of the Adama level), or 93%.

bekeleven
2022-06-10, 03:40 PM
You should also add the Hand of the Adama class (ShS) for it's own, rather unique Divination Enhancement ability:

Sounds like this might be a character that would benefit from a lower divination accuracy.

Analytica
2022-06-10, 03:48 PM
Actually, maybe the Delusional part comes from those occasions every few months when the South Wind fails a Will save for Contact Other Plane. :D

Doctor Despair
2022-06-10, 04:38 PM
Or maybe the delusional part is because he has levels in Sybil and no one understands his riddles, so he just seems eccentric 90% of the time

Very nice. Your thread is going into my bookmarks.
It seems to be missing Dream Dwarves (RoS) though. With their 90ft natural darkvision, +1 to divination CL and Dream Sight they make terrific diviners.
Divine Oracles Divination Enhancement is also very nice.

It's not actually meant as a divination handbook, although that'd be handy to have, for sure. It's more focused than that: it was a collection of any mechanism to read the future, then an exploration of how to access the most powerful modes from that collection. With that said: I'm of the mind that half-elves make the best diviners due to access to Medani Prophet, but there are definitely other options, and more powerful options at that, if you don't want to take that prestige class.

Ramza00
2022-06-10, 06:58 PM
Harrow Bloodline if Pathfinder via a dip or feat, and Divine Oracle if 3.5 (which is also an Arcane Prestige class.). This is because Harrow Bloodline or Divine Oracle 3rd level allows for rolling twice with divinations and thus more than 99% accuracy with predictions.

Then in turn make the character into false beliefsdelusions, about the nature of reality for all things end and he sees ends in a way beyond Newtonian physics. This will make one mad / into a lunatic for knowing the end of things before it’s time, and not knowing the precise sequence of events but knowing some of the sequence will make everything appear to be instrumental in he human’s brain. Put another way mad scientist brain where things are means to an end and so on.