PDA

View Full Version : If you could bring over 1 3.5 spell that didn't make it to 5e....

Angelalex242
2022-06-10, 02:12 PM
A thought I had from another thread...favorite spells that never quite made the transition.

Divine Sacrifice came up in the HP is a resource thread, a favorite Level 1 Paladin spell of mine that trades 2 hp for 1d6 of damage, up to a maximum of 5. (Naturally, this usually means 10 hp for 5d6)

animorte
2022-06-10, 02:15 PM
Pyrotechnics easily. Love that spell. But wait, they did include it eventually! Just not in the core. Whew

Eldariel
2022-06-10, 02:41 PM
Dark Way was really cool though admittedly a level 2 Force wall (even a small one) was a bit ridiculous on the Cleric list. A proper animation spell like Animate Dread Warrior could also be cool.

clash
2022-06-10, 02:55 PM
Summon monster. Create a proper summoner from level 1.

True strike: the 1st level spell version, not the garbage that 5e has

pragma
2022-06-10, 03:00 PM
Dimensional Anchor. Needing to stop teleports/plane shifts comes up a lot! (I know dimensional shackles can do some work here, but they're much more rare than a spell.)

Kane0
2022-06-10, 03:42 PM
Dimensional Anchor. Needing to stop teleports/plane shifts comes up a lot! (I know dimensional shackles can do some work here, but they're much more rare than a spell.)

Well somone else already said it, so i guess my second choice would be Ray of Exhaustion or Prismatic Ray.

I like rays.

Leon
2022-06-10, 09:21 PM
Prayer: In this edition where a +1/-1 can be such a big difference on attacks, damage, Saves and Checks in a 40ft radius, yes please.

Jervis
2022-06-10, 10:12 PM
Gonna sound stupid but whirling blade. It’s stupid I know but it’s a great Gish spell. Attack everyone in a line. Adding weapon attack damage as normal. On a Gish that’s very good, and it could let you get off GWM on a large number of creatures in a single action. Level 2 is probably a bit high for it in 5e though.

Barring that, I’ll be honest, i’m a sucker for divine power. Makes Tenser’s Transformation look like even more of a joke. Persisting that in 3.5 was soooo much fun, and you could have it online around the same time that having 3/4 BAB starts to become obnoxious.

Edit: Ah forget it, spur of the moment, not balanced at all.

Whirling Blade
Evocation Cantrip
Casting Time: 1 Action
Range: Self (60 ft line)
Components: V, S, M (a melee weapon with which you are proficient)
Duration: Instantaneous
Classes: Bard, Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard

You hurl a a melee weapon in a 30 foot line as it spins striking at anything in it's path. You make a melee attack again the first creature the weapon comes into contact with as well as any one other creature or item within the spells line of effect, if there are any. If no creature in in the spell's line of effect, you can instead attack one or two items of your choice within the spells line of effect. When making a melee weapon attack as part of the spell you make the attack as if you were in a square adjacent to the creature or object being attacked. On a hit the first target creature or object suffers the attack's normal effects while any subsequent targets take damage equal to the weapon's damage die on a hit.

The first target of the spell takes an additional 1d8 damage of the weapon's damage type, and you can make a additional weapon attack against another creature or object within the spells line of effect (two additional targets instead of one) at 5th level. This increases to 2d8 and three additional targets at 11th, and 3d8 and four additional targets at 17th.

Divine Power
4th level Transmutation
Casting Time: 1 Bonus Action
Range: Self
Components: V, S, M (A copy of the 3.5 phb)
Duration: 1 minute
Classes: Cleric & Paladin

You imbue yourself with divine might, bolstering you to unseen heights. For the duration of the spell you gain the following benefits.

When you take the attack action, you can attack twice instead of once
Your weapon attack deal an additional 1d8 radiant damage
You can use your spellcasting ability modifier instead of your strength or dexterity modifier for all attack rolls, ability checks, and saving throws that would normally use either of those modifiers
You gain 1d6 + your spellcasting ability modifier temporary hit points at the start of each turn

At the end of the spells duration, any wizard who has ever cast haste or tensers transformation and can see you takes 1d6 psychic damage.

At Higher Levels: When you cast the spell with a spell slot of 5th or 6th level, the duration becomes 10 minutes, when you cast the spell with a spell slot of 7th or 8th level it's duration becomes 1 hour, when you cast this spell with a spell slot of 9th level it's duration becomes 8 hours. Additionally when you cast the spell with a spell slot of 6th, 7th, or 8th level you can make three attacks instead of two when taking the attack action. When you cast the spell with a spell slot of 9th level, you can make four attacks instead of three. The psychic damage dealt by the spell to wizards, as well as the temporary hit points gained each turn, also increases by 1d6 per level of spell slot used over 4th.

Ogre Mage
2022-06-11, 02:50 AM
Glitterdust
2nd level conjuration
Casting time: 1 action
Range: 100 ft.
Area: creatures and objects within a 10 foot radius spread
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: wisdom negates (blinding only)
Classes: Bard, Sorcerer, Wizard, Warlock

A cloud of golden particles covers everyone and everything in the area, causing creatures to become blinded and visibly outlining invisible things for the duration of the spell. All within the area are covered by the dust, which cannot be removed and continues to sparkle until it fades.

Any creature covered by the dust takes a -40 penalty on Hide checks.

Chaos Jackal
2022-06-11, 02:50 AM
Celerity. Yeah, I know, busted and all. Still, combo enabler, cool moments and you need to at least think a bit before using it even if it is very powerful.

If it's too much, then the other thing immediately coming to mind is wings of flurry. Sorcerers could use some exclusive spells of their own, and that's one of my favorites, both a strong blast and very thematic.

tsotate
2022-06-11, 03:06 AM
Serious answer: Dimensional Anchor.

Silly answer: Shivering Touch. Killing dragons is just so much tedious work in this edition, without it.

Kane0
2022-06-11, 03:08 AM
Okay so Dimensional Anchor has come up a few times now, I should probably put forward what I use as a port for it:

Dimensional Anchor
3rd-level Abjuration
Range: 120 feet
Components: S, M (a small lead weight)
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 minute

You attempt to lock one creature you can see to the plane they are currently on. The target must make a Charisma saving throw or be anchored until the spell ends.
An anchored creature cannot teleport or be transported to another plane, such as by using the Blink or Plane Shift spells.
At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 4th level or higher, you can target one additional creature for each slot level above 3rd.

Pex
2022-06-11, 03:18 AM
Rainbow Blast

An AOE that does 5d6 damage where each d6 is a different damage type, fire, lightning, acid, cold, sonic (thunder in 5E). The die increases as you gain levels 5d8, 5d10, 5d12.

That wouldn't work right in 5E. Maybe as a 3rd level spell that does 8d4 increasing the die per level increase. 8d6 as a 4th level spell, 8d8 as a 5th level spell, 8d10 as a 6th level spell, 8d12 as an 7th level spell, 8d20 as an 8th level spell. Caster has choice of making it a 20 ft radius spread or 100 ft long 5 ft wide as per Fireball/Lightning Bolt. Two dice do fire damage, two lightning, two cold, two acid. If you feel the lesser damage is worth the cost of changing the area of effect to be more powerful than Fireball I'd be ok with the spell being a 4th level spell to start at 8d6.

Chronos
2022-06-11, 06:46 AM
Shrink Item. Yes, I know that Enlarge/Reduce can target objects now, but it has much less of a scale factor (1/2 instead of 1/12), and it doesn't have the duration (days, so you can carry a bunch of random equipment with you on an adventure). Plus, things like shrinking treasure so you can haul it out (why, yes, I do want to bring that 10' statue with me), or shrinking obstacles out of your way.

I'd also like the Shadow Conjuration/Shadow Evocation lines, but there, I can at least understand why they weren't ported.

DarknessEternal
2022-06-11, 07:24 AM
Wave of Exhaustion.

Strong AoE debuffs just don't exist anymore.

Amnestic
2022-06-11, 08:05 AM
Dimensional Anchor is my serious answer.

Were-doom (a 9th level spell that infects 1d4 random creatures within range a ~400ft radius of the target point with lycanthropy and makes them attack at random) is my joke answer. When would I ever use it? Probably never. It's a book of vile darkness spell, so of course it's stupid.

H_H_F_F
2022-06-12, 11:18 AM
Are psionic powers included? If so, astral caravan (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/astralCaravan.htm)+ astral traveler (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/astralTraveler.htm). Awesome, low level, appropriately difficult planar travel.

If not... Dimensional anchor has been said plenty. Either blood wind or whirling blade for the cool factor.

verbatim
2022-06-12, 11:30 AM
When I ran Out of the Abyss I snuck a upgraded Apocalypse from the Sky into the grimoire the party has to steal...

They left it with a Nagpa before the final fight.

Psyren
2022-06-12, 12:48 PM
Magic Fang
Status
Overland Flight
Righteous Thor's Might!

Jervis
2022-06-12, 01:07 PM
Magic Fang
Status
Overland Flight
Righteous Thor's Might!

Man overland flight would be amazing. Updated I’d probably just make it 8 hours concentration fly speed of 30 feet, upcast lets you apply it to other creatures. Personally I’d prefer to make it concentration free but people tend to frown on that even with a level 4 spell.

Skrum
2022-06-12, 01:12 PM
I'd prefer that skill tricks be ported over. Such a good idea. Spellcasters don't need more toys, but rogues and rangers definitely do

Witty Username
2022-06-12, 01:44 PM
Ray of stupidity probably made for my favorite moments. 1d4+1 int damage goes a long way. Ooh, and the upcast could be really nuts in 5e.

Sigreid
2022-06-12, 02:06 PM
Was Glassteel still in in 3.5? Because I want Glassteel.

Khrysaes
2022-06-12, 02:38 PM
I always enjoyed mordenkainen’s disjunction.

Bphill561
2022-06-12, 02:41 PM
Thunderlance was lots of fun, although I guess Shadow Dagger is kind of similar.

Jervis
2022-06-12, 03:51 PM
Ray of stupidity probably made for my favorite moments. 1d4+1 int damage goes a long way. Ooh, and the upcast could be really nuts in 5e.

Killing a T-Rex with that spell was always hilarious. A certain bad DM I new got so tilted by that spell. That said he also make a optimized Psion designed to drain 3d4 Int drain with a 2nd level power so he had a interesting opinion on game balance.

I always enjoyed mordenkainen’s disjunction.

I hate that they made that spell destroy items. Meant that loot gets destroyed if you use it and enemies using it against you, in a edition where WBL was assumed, was just mean.

Phhase
2022-06-12, 08:21 PM
I kinda miss the elemental orb line, if only for the fact they help enable monotype damage casting savant-style.

Sculpt Sound also kinda sucks to not have, it's really neat.

And c'mon, Avascular Mass? Sure it's evil and 9th level but you literally turn someone into spaghetti, no save. That's a power move unlike any other.

Jervis
2022-06-12, 08:45 PM
I kinda miss the elemental orb line, if only for the fact they help enable monotype damage casting savant-style.

Sculpt Sound also kinda sucks to not have, it's really neat.

And c'mon, Avascular Mass? Sure it's evil and 9th level but you literally turn someone into spaghetti, no save. That's a power move unlike any other.
Hey I’ve never heard of that spell somehow, let’s check it ou- WHAT IN THE HOLY MOTHER OF ALL THAT IS DECENT IS THAT?! Who gave the ok to print that spell?

Witty Username
2022-06-12, 08:54 PM
Hey I’ve never heard of that spell somehow, let’s check it ou- WHAT IN THE HOLY MOTHER OF ALL THAT IS DECENT IS THAT?! Who gave the ok to print that spell?

Oh, hey, a good candidate for careful spell.

Phhase
2022-06-12, 10:04 PM

Spaghetti, no save.

I did not stutter.

Psyren
2022-06-13, 01:09 AM
So THAT's the spell Wanda used on Reed.

Kane0
2022-06-13, 01:25 AM
Oh yeah, I converted that one too...

Avasculate
7th Level Evocation

Range: 30 feet
Components: S

Make a ranged spell attack against one creature you can see within range. On a hit, the target's current HP is halved and they must succeed on a constitution saving throw or be stunned until the end of their next turn. This spell has no effect undead, constructs, oozes and plants.
At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 8th level or higher, you can target one additional creature for each slot level above 7th.

Jervis
2022-06-13, 03:04 AM

Avasculate
7th Level Evocation

Make a ranged spell attack against one creature you can see within range. On a hit, the target's current HP is halved and they must succeed on a constitution saving throw or be stunned until the end of their next turn. This spell has no effect undead, constructs, oozes and plants.
At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 8th level or higher, you can target one additional creature for each slot level above 7th.

I love that I started the trend of posting spell conversions in this thread. This is fun.

Eldan
2022-06-13, 03:09 AM
So THAT's the spell Wanda used on Reed.

Well, half of it. She didn't use hte part where the spaghetti then strangle everyone around the target.

Angelalex242
2022-06-13, 04:58 AM

Avasculate
7th Level Evocation

This reminds me of the 'demi' or gravity spells common in Final Fantasy.

TrialsofHualnem
2022-06-13, 05:03 AM
I always loved the woodbending ability from 4e.

XmonkTad
2022-06-13, 06:24 AM
Permanency! Sticking arcane sight on your wizard was a must. Made you really feel like you could impact the game world.

Xervous
2022-06-13, 06:42 AM
Revenance. Because at times I enjoy killing characters in combat and this gives me a chance to double up.

Chronos
2022-06-13, 06:45 AM
Quoth XmonkTad:

Permanency! Sticking arcane sight on your wizard was a must. Made you really feel like you could impact the game world.
The 5e way of doing that is to cast the same spell every day for a year. You could expand the list of spells that's usable on.

Though it definitely goes against the 5e design to allow it for buffs.

Willie the Duck
2022-06-13, 07:33 AM
Silly answer: Shivering Touch. Killing dragons is just so much tedious work in this edition, without it.
Well, shoot. If we're just here to watch the world burn, why not Ice Assassin?

Was Glassteel still in in 3.5? Because I want Glassteel.
If we're looking back to the TSR era, there are some nice goody spells -- There/Not There, Murdock's Feathery Flyer, the spell (psionic power?) where you could travel while in your dreams, etc.

clash
2022-06-13, 07:52 AM

My version uses attunement as a balancing mechanism https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?549603-Permanency-Spell

Amnestic
2022-06-13, 08:31 AM
Revenance. Because at times I enjoy killing characters in combat and this gives me a chance to double up.

I'll take a crack at this...

Revenance
3rd Level Conjuration

Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Touch
Components: V, S
Duration: 1 minute
Classes: Cleric, Paladin

This spell brings a dead ally you touch back to life temporarily. The creature must have been dead for less than 1 minute. If the creature's soul is both willing and at liberty to rejoin the body, the creature returns to life with half their maximum hit points.

This spell also neutralizes any poison and cures nonmagical Diseases that affected the creature at the time it died. This spell doesn't, however, remove magical Diseases, Curses, or similar effects, if these aren't first removed prior to casting the spell, they take Effect when the creature returns to life. The spell can't return an Undead creature to life. This spell closes all mortal wounds, but it doesn't restore missing body parts. If the creature is lacking body parts or organs integral for its Survival - its head, for instance - the spell automatically fails.

The target is alive (not undead) for the duration of the spell and can be healed normally, but dies as soon as the spell ends. While under the effect of this spell, the subject is not affected by spells that raise the dead. Finally, the target gains a +1 bonus on attack rolls, damage rolls, saves, and ability checks against the creature that killed them.

At Higher Levels. When cast from a 5th or 6th level spell slot, the range increases to 30ft and you can target two creatures instead of one. When cast from a 7th level or higher spell slot, the range increases to 60ft, this can be cast as a bonus action instead of 1 action, and it may target up to 3 creatures. When cast from a 9th level spell slot, it can target as many creatures as you choose within range.

Master O'Laughs
2022-06-13, 08:35 AM
Ice Axe.

I had a cleric who would cast that spell and run in a melee things. It was great!

Amnestic
2022-06-14, 07:05 AM
From the Eberron Forge of War book, though I think I rather got away from the original design.

Skunk Scent
1st Level Conjuration

Casting Time: 1 bonus action
Range: Self
Components: S, M (a small tuft of skunk fur)
Classes: Ranger

You enchant your weapon with condensed skunk powers. When you hit a creature with a weapon attack before this spell ends, it unleashes the stink power, creating a 5' radius cloud centred on the target of the attack. Each creature that is within the cloud at the start of its turn must make a constitution saving throw against poison. On a failed save, the creature spends its action that turn retching and reeling and takes 1d6 poison damage (or half as much on a successful save). Creatures that don't need to breathe or are immune to poison automatically succeed on this saving throw. The target hit by the attack has a -1d4 penalty on the saving throw against this. The cloud remains for the remaining duration of the spell, or unless dispelled by a strong wind.

On your turn, you may use your bonus action to recall a deployed Skunk Scent cloud to yourself, allowing you to unleash it against a new target.

At Higher Levels. When cast from a 2nd level spell slot or higher, you can unleash a number of clouds equal to the spell slot level, but only one for each successful attack. The damage also increases by 1d6 for each spell level above 1st. If two clouds overlap in their area, a creature need only make a saving throw against one cloud.

KorvinStarmast
2022-06-14, 07:47 AM
Okay so Dimensional Anchor has come up a few times now, I should probably put forward what I use as a port for it:

Dimensional Anchor
3rd-level Abjuration
Range: 120 feet
Components: S, M (a small lead weight)

You attempt to lock one creature you can see to the plane they are currently on. The target must make a Charisma saving throw or be anchored until the spell ends.
An anchored creature cannot teleport or be transported to another plane, such as by using the Blink or Plane Shift spells.
At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 4th level or higher, you can target one additional creature for each slot level above 3rd. I think that spell level needs to be 5th.

But honestly, there are already too many spells so I'd recommend "port nothing over" ... yeah, Killjoy was here. :smallyuk:

Xervous
2022-06-14, 08:03 AM
I think that spell level needs to be 5th.

But honestly, there are already too many spells so I'd recommend "port nothing over" ... yeah, Killjoy was here. :smallyuk:

Nothing at all ever?

Okay fighter is never getting nice things.

KorvinStarmast
2022-06-14, 08:33 AM
Nothing at all ever?

Okay fighter is never getting nice things.
Should I have said "port no 3.5 unique spells over" then? :smalleek:

Xervous
2022-06-14, 09:37 AM
Should I have said "port no 3.5 unique spells over" then? :smalleek:

Perhaps, but then I’d not have the opportunity to highlight how readily people dream on and welcome casters getting nice things.

But yeah I like revenance, the “you get to keep playing but dying is still not advised because it’s a resource drain.”

Dimers
2022-06-16, 05:45 PM
Empyreal ecstasy. Make the whole party immune to mind-affecting stuff (except the buffs you gave them earlier) and also resistant to all damage from targeted effects. Probably overpowered for a 9th-level effect in 5e, and it was 6th in 3rd-ed.

If we're looking back to the TSR era, there are some nice goody spells -- There/Not There, Murdock's Feathery Flyer, the spell (psionic power?) where you could travel while in your dreams, etc.

Awwwyeaaaahhh, there/not there, good stuff. Although my personal favorite was frisky chest. Could never read that without busting out laughing.

Kane0
2022-06-16, 06:03 PM
Ice Axe.

I had a cleric who would cast that spell and run in a melee things. It was great!

You could probably modify Shadow Blade (or Flame Blade if you're feeling masochistic) and have this one done quick and easy, or make it a cantrip like Booming/Green-Flame Blade.

I think that spell level needs to be 5th.

What makes you say that?

KorvinStarmast
2022-06-16, 06:17 PM
What makes you say that? It seems to be as powerful as greater restoration or tport circle. You are blocking a plane shift, right? It's almost the inverse of Banishment, which is 4th level, but it holds the being to where you can whack it like hold monster, which is 5th.

Kane0
2022-06-16, 06:28 PM
It seems to be as powerful as greater restoration or tport circle. You are blocking a plane shift, right? It's almost the inverse of Banishment, which is 4th level, but it holds the being to where you can whack it like hold monster, which is 5th.

It's more like Earthbind, with a better action economy and save type. It doesn't stop the target from moving or acting and eats up your concentration, but maybe it could use a new save each turn or revert to full action casting time?

KorvinStarmast
2022-06-16, 06:46 PM
but maybe it could use a new save each turn or revert to full action casting time? Yes. That's a good tweak.

Jervis
2022-06-16, 07:14 PM
If we’re converting spells from, say, pathfinder then Anywhere but Here is an all time favorite. Basically it’s planeshift at a lower level, problem is you had no say where you ended up. So if you use it in Pandemonium you could end up in The Nine Hells. It’s basically a spell you use as a ripcord to escape an immediately dangerous situation into a potentially worse situation.

Chronos
2022-06-17, 06:42 AM
Ooh, that reminds me of another 3.5 one: A high-level paladin spell (where "high-level" means "4th", because it's for paladins) called "Door to Great Evil". It's a teleportation spell that can take you anywhere in the multiverse, you can't control where... but it's guaranteed to put you next to a CR-appropriate monster that clearly Needs Killin'.

Grod_The_Giant
2022-06-17, 03:20 PM
Snakebite.

Because who wouldn't want to turn one of their arms into a snake and bite people with it?

Telok
2022-06-17, 03:40 PM
Probably a technicality but I imported the ad&d haste into 3.5e, so that would be nice to import into 5e. It was a real "how badly do we want to win" spell. Get an additional full turn each round, and at the end physically age 1% your species max age plus make a Con check or die from the shock.

Jervis
2022-06-17, 04:01 PM
Probably a technicality but I imported the ad&d haste into 3.5e, so that would be nice to import into 5e. It was a real "how badly do we want to win" spell. Get an additional full turn each round, and at the end physically age 1% your species max age plus make a Con check or die from the shock.

That spell had one of the most stupid drawbacks ever. Especially when the stereotypical wizards was an elf who lived something like a thousand years back then. And the obligatory dragon self aging thing. ADnD had a lot of spells that aged you for some reason. Realistically it’s a non drawback because it’ll never come up in a game, so it’s just a way to make NPCs not cast those spells for you. So you just had the system shock save which was a questionable mechanic in general. I can see why people like it but in my opinion it’s just one of the many jank things from that edition I can see why people left it behind.

the_david
2022-06-17, 04:23 PM
Solipsism or Defenestrating Sphere, but only because I'm weird like that.

Telok
2022-06-17, 08:21 PM
That spell had one of the most stupid drawbacks ever. Especially when the stereotypical wizards was an elf who lived something like a thousand years back then....
...in my opinion it’s just one of the many jank things from that edition I can see why people left it behind.

It worked better in practice than it sounds in contemporary theory op. Because, of course, not every wizard was an elf, most wizards didn't want to hit themselves with it, etc., etc. And of course it wasn't a "cast every fight" sort of thing like people assume from the current version. It would work even better in 5e with all the assorted roll boosters, rerolls, ease of ressurections, and how difficult it is to actually die after the lowest levels.

Kane0
2022-06-17, 09:21 PM
Snakebite.

Because who wouldn't want to turn one of their arms into a snake and bite people with it?

Only if Yuanti get it as an alternative to their Poison Spray

Ogun
2022-06-25, 11:27 PM
Death Knell.
Death Watch.

Segev
2022-06-26, 12:41 AM
I just recently made a shadow evocation (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?646492-Shadow-Evocation) thread in the homebrew section for exactly this reason.

Also, an upgrade to phantom steed (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?645094-Upgrading-Phantom-Steed) that may go a bit too far, depending how you see it being used, but which does incorporate the higher-CL stuff from 3.5 as upcasts.

Kane0
2022-06-26, 12:56 AM
Oh yeah Death Knell sounds like a great option to add a 2nd level bonus action or even reaction necromancy spell

Jervis
2022-06-26, 01:30 AM
I just recently made a shadow evocation (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?646492-Shadow-Evocation) thread in the homebrew section for exactly this reason.

Also, an upgrade to phantom steed (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?645094-Upgrading-Phantom-Steed) that may go a bit too far, depending how you see it being used, but which does incorporate the higher-CL stuff from 3.5 as upcasts.

That far from too far, it’s actually usable for its intended purpose now.

Fynzmirs
2022-06-26, 07:15 AM
Genesis, no contest.

There was something incredibly fun for me in seeding a new demiplane, creating your pocket reality. Demiplane in 5e does that somewhat but it feels too easy, too streamlined. I don't really care for XP costs on spells but putting a big chunk of yourself into a seed that grows into a new plane is a hundred times more epic than just opening a door and saying it's done.

Conjuration (Creation)
Level: Sor/Wiz 9, Creation 9
Components: V, S, M, XP
Casting Time: 1 week (8 hours/day)
Range: 180 ft. (see text)
Effect: A demiplane coterminous with the Ethereal Plane, centered on your location
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

The spellcaster creates a finite plane with limited access: a demiplane. Demiplanes created by this power are very small, very minor planes.

A character can only cast this spell while on the Ethereal Plane. When he or she casts the spell, a local density fluctuation precipitates the creation of a demiplane. At first, the fledgling plane grows at a rate of 1 foot in radius per day to an initial maximum radius of 180 feet as it rapidly draws substance from surrounding ethereal vapors and protomatter.

The spellcaster determines the environment within the demiplane when he or she first casts genesis, reflecting most any desire the spellcaster can visualize. The spellcaster determines factors such as atmosphere, water, temperature, and the general shape of the terrain. This spell cannot create life (including vegetation), nor can it create construction (such as buildings, roads, wells, dungeons, and so forth). The spellcaster must add these things in some other fashion if he or she desires. Once the basic demiplane reaches its maximum size, the spellcaster can continue to cast this spell to enlarge the demiplane, adding another 180 feet of radius to the demiplane each time.

Material Component
A crystalline sphere

XP Cost
5,000 XP.

JNAProductions
2022-06-26, 08:32 PM
Genesis, no contest.

There was something incredibly fun for me in seeding a new demiplane, creating your pocket reality. Demiplane in 5e does that somewhat but it feels too easy, too streamlined. I don't really care for XP costs on spells but putting a big chunk of yourself into a seed that grows into a new plane is a hundred times more epic than just opening a door and saying it's done.

Conjuration (Creation)
Level: Sor/Wiz 9, Creation 9
Components: V, S, M, XP
Casting Time: 1 week (8 hours/day)
Range: 180 ft. (see text)
Effect: A demiplane coterminous with the Ethereal Plane, centered on your location
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

The spellcaster creates a finite plane with limited access: a demiplane. Demiplanes created by this power are very small, very minor planes.

A character can only cast this spell while on the Ethereal Plane. When he or she casts the spell, a local density fluctuation precipitates the creation of a demiplane. At first, the fledgling plane grows at a rate of 1 foot in radius per day to an initial maximum radius of 180 feet as it rapidly draws substance from surrounding ethereal vapors and protomatter.

The spellcaster determines the environment within the demiplane when he or she first casts genesis, reflecting most any desire the spellcaster can visualize. The spellcaster determines factors such as atmosphere, water, temperature, and the general shape of the terrain. This spell cannot create life (including vegetation), nor can it create construction (such as buildings, roads, wells, dungeons, and so forth). The spellcaster must add these things in some other fashion if he or she desires. Once the basic demiplane reaches its maximum size, the spellcaster can continue to cast this spell to enlarge the demiplane, adding another 180 feet of radius to the demiplane each time.

Material Component
A crystalline sphere

XP Cost
5,000 XP.

Grod's Grand Genesis
Level 9 Conjuration
Casting Time: Special
Range: Special
Components: Verbal, Somatic, Material

Tapping upon the power of ambient creation, you split off a small shard of reality, that will eventually grow into a copy of the plane you are on.

To cast this spell, you must spend eight hours a day for an entire year expending your 9th level slot and performing powerful rituals. If one day in a row is missed, the time is extended by ten days. If two days in a row are missed, the spell fails. Throughout the casting, you must provide 1,000 GP worth of rare components pertaining to what you are trying to create each day.

Upon completion, a hole is rent in reality, sucking in everything in a 30' radius and leaving nothing in its place. Over the course of the next decade, the embryo of reality will slowly grow into a plane in its own right, based on the plane it was created from, but with changes based upon the rituals you performed and components provided.

Material Components: Minimum 365,000 GP worth of rare components pertaining to the plane you wish to create.

Spell Lists: None naturally-must be found via an awesome quest.

The first casting of Grand Genesis was by a giant known as Grod. Less a giant and more of a titan, Grod saw that the world was filled with frustrations and lacked creativity, so Grod began to work towards making a better world. He performed years, decades even, of research to find out how it could be done, and, when he knew, he gathered the most creative and happy people he could find. He asked them if they were willing to make a sacrifice to create a better world. Most said no-but some said yes. And, over the course of a year, Grod channeled his most potent arcane energies through rituals, and at the culmination, he and the people he had gathered stepped towards the center, and were seemingly obliterated.

But, in their deaths, a new plane was born. It began to grow, with their hearts and souls at its center, and over time became a happier plane, filled with people free from frustrations and with the spark of creativity in them.

Legend says that one can commune with these great spirits, should one find the center of this reality.

I did a version a while back.