PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Is there any reason at all that a psion would take levels in warmind?

redking
2022-06-11, 08:04 AM
Warmind prestige class here. (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/warMind.htm)

Is there any benefit whatsoever for a psion to take levels in warmind? The BAB is cool, but otherwise I can't figure out why a psion would do it.

MaxiDuRaritry
2022-06-11, 09:23 AM
Warmind prestige class here. (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/warMind.htm)

Is there any benefit whatsoever for a psion to take levels in warmind? The BAB is cool, but otherwise I can't figure out why a psion would do it.I can think of a few.

For instance, you're in a gestalt game, are playing a gishy character with psion on one side, and want AoE melee attacks without castrating your skills via war hulk.

Or if you're epic and aren't gaining much from native MLs anyway, so you might as well gain pp through adding more classes and boosting your MLs through feats and items.

[edit] Though, honestly, the manifesting and sweeping strike are quite literally the only reasons to take the class. The rest of the class features are absolute garbage, and psywar manifesting is much better in the long run. (Also, the ACFs are very nice.)

pabelfly
2022-06-11, 09:50 AM

Is there any benefit whatsoever for a psion to take levels in warmind? The BAB is cool, but otherwise I can't figure out why a psion would do it.

Why do you think this is for Psions? This is more like the psionic equivalent of Ur-Priest.

MaxiDuRaritry
2022-06-11, 09:59 AM
Why do you think this is for Psions? This is more like the psionic equivalent of Ur-Priest.It's really a crappy PrC all the way around. It has sub-par manifesting and a single good class feature out of 10 levels, and all of the rest are absolute trash. The PF version actually makes a halfhearted attempt to make the rest of the class slightly usable, such as having it progress psywar manifesting, if you already have it.

loky1109
2022-06-11, 10:07 AM
Why do you think this is for Psions? This is more like the psionic equivalent of Ur-Priest.

Holy Liberator/Blackguard I suppose.

pabelfly
2022-06-11, 10:24 AM
It's really a crappy PrC all the way around. It has sub-par manifesting and a single good class feature out of 10 levels, and all of the rest are absolute trash. The PF version actually makes a halfhearted attempt to make the rest of the class slightly usable, such as having it progress psywar manifesting, if you already have it.

This class is pretty similar to Psychic Warrior - same spell list even, but it comes with temporary daily boosts to AC, STR and CON, better BAB and better HP. And since it's rather easy to enter, you can spend the other ten levels getting something else and fixing the few flaws this class has, like getting Dimension Hop for swift movement. I'd probrably get Swordsage levels which seems like would be a good combo.

pabelfly
2022-06-11, 10:24 AM
Holy Liberator/Blackguard I suppose.

Sure. That works as an analogy too.

Fero
2022-06-11, 10:47 AM
I could see taking it for a pure combat character who happens to have power points. Sweeping strikes could be very good if your DM likes to use hoards in tightly packed dungeons. Overall this seems pretty niche though.

MaxiDuRaritry
2022-06-11, 10:55 AM
This class is pretty similar to Psychic Warrior - same spell list even, but it comes with temporary daily boosts to AC, STR and CON, better BAB and better HP. And since it's rather easy to enter, you can spend the other ten levels getting something else and fixing the few flaws this class has, like getting Dimension Hop for swift movement. I'd probrably get Swordsage levels which seems like would be a good combo.Between the psychic warrior's feats and ACFs and its better power progression and much longer progression, the piddly (and extremely limited) +2s the class gives you just don't come close. If nothing else, those feats allow you to mine various psion lists for things like metamorphosis and schism. And that's if you don't want to trade in a single feat for the mantled warrior ACF, which is significantly better in a lot of ways.

Ramza00
2022-06-11, 11:13 AM
Honestly that prestige class should be giving 20 powers known over 10 levels to be worth it.