PDA

View Full Version : Fastest in the world

Skrum
2022-06-11, 12:28 PM
I've been trying to find fun uses of tabaxi's sprint ability, and came across psi warrior's psi-powered leap. Doubling a double, well that's some real speed.

Any particularly creative uses for that much movement? Obvious is flying straight up and dropping people is a nice....12d6, though it'll take a turn to set up.

I wish there were more uses of movement speed. Not even sure what I'm imagining though.

RogueJK
2022-06-11, 12:54 PM
Obvious is flying straight up and dropping people is a nice....12d6.

It'd only be 6d6. Your movement is halved when you're dragging a creature. So while you'd normally be able to fly 120' up with a Tabaxi Psi Warrior utilizing Psi Powered Leap and Feline Agility, you could only fly 60' up in a turn if dragging someone.

You also lose your Psi Powered Leap flying speed at the end of your turn, so if you use all your turn's movement to go that full 60' straight up in a turn to drop an enemy, you'd then lose your flight, fall the same distance, and take that same 6d6 falling damage yourself.

So the best you could do safely (barring having an ally around who can cast Feather Fall on you) is drag an enemy 40' up to drop them and then use your remaining 40' movement to fly safely back down to the ground, which results in a mere 4d6 falling damage for the dropped enemy. While thematically cool, it means you're expending an Attack for the initial Grapple, a Psionic Dice and your Bonus Action for the Leap, and all your movement in a turn, just for ~14 extra damage. You're better off just utilizing a normal weapon attack with Psionic Strike, which will do more damage, and you'll still have your Bonus Action and all your Movement available.

Skrum
2022-06-11, 01:06 PM
It'd only be 6d6. Your movement is halved when you're dragging a creature.

So while you'd normally be able to fly 120' up with a Tabaxi Psi Warrior utilizing Psi Powered Leap, you could only fly 60' up in a turn if dragging someone.

You also lose your Psi Powered Leap flying speed at the end of your turn, so if you use all your movement to go that full 60' straight up in a turn to drop an enemy, you'd then lose your flight, fall the same distance, and take that same 6d6 falling damage yourself.

So the best you could do safely (barring having an ally around who can cast Feather Fall on you) is drag an enemy 30' up to drop them and then fly 30' back down to the ground, which results in a mere 3d6 falling damage for the dropped enemy.

Not really worth it for just ~13 extra damage.

That's why it'll take a turn to set up; turn 1 grapple, turn two dash for 240 ft of movement, halved to 120.

Could take mobility for an extra....40 ft, or 16d6 damage.

Will definitely need a ring of feather fall lol. Which is also kinda funny cause you'll take 2 more rounds to fall back down.

With action surge, cunning action, or 10 ft more movement and it'll be at falling damage cap of 20d6

Another edit: boots of speed doubles movement yet again lol. With mobility that'd be 320 ft base movement, or 36d4 damage dragging someone around a spike growth

RogueJK
2022-06-11, 01:14 PM
You're right. I was thinking in terms of "all in one round".

solidork
2022-06-11, 02:17 PM
You can get your speed pretty high, but there aren't really many payoffs for it. What you can do is deal minor damage to a whole lot of people and objects with Ashardalon's Stride.

You could build a pretty normal Tabaxi Bladesinger that had the ability to turn on the jets.

Skrum
2022-06-11, 02:19 PM
You can get your speed pretty high, but there aren't really many payoffs for it. What you can do is deal minor damage to a whole lot of people and objects with Ashardalon's Stride.

You could build a pretty normal Tabaxi Bladesinger that had the ability to turn on the jets.

Ok that's pretty funny. I thought about getting it on a tortle because I thought that was extra funny

Chronos
2022-06-12, 06:12 AM
Quoth RogueJK:

So the best you could do safely (barring having an ally around who can cast Feather Fall on you)...
I think it's safe to say that if you're going for speed records, you're probably going to have mostly monk levels, so you'd have your own Slow Fall ability.

Skrum
2022-06-12, 09:31 AM
I think it's safe to say that if you're going for speed records, you're probably going to have mostly monk levels, so you'd have your own Slow Fall ability.

Psi warrior is pretty quick.
30 ft base speed, mobility feat, doubled for feline agility, doubled again for psi boost, and then dashing and the character can move 320 ft in a round. This can happen at level 7

Level 7 tabaxi monk, mobility, using step of the wind, can move 330 ft in a round.

So basically the same. Monk will get faster of course at 10, 14, and 18. Though the psi warrior can fly, which is a pretty big deal. And if they really wanted to they could spend their action surge to move, leaving the monk in the dust with 480 ft of movement