PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Confused by Ostovite Bone Chariots — Any Examples?

Palanan
2022-06-11, 02:46 PM
I’m planning tonight’s game and I thought a couple ostovites would be a simple thing to add. Then I tried to figure out their bone chariots, and I’m finding these...difficult.

My main puzzlement has to do with applying construct traits, in particular the part about bonus hit points. If an ostovite is driving a bone chariot based on a human skeleton, it’s 4 hp without the bonus, but 24 with the bonus, which is a pretty substantial difference for PCs at low levels.

The one published example of a bone chariot I can find is from the Tyrant’s Grasp AP, on p. 5 of Dead Roads, in which we’re given a skeletal horse. It’s listed as a construct, but without the 30 bonus hit points that a Large construct should have. There’s nothing in the original description of ostovites (B5 p.187) about not using the bonus hit points, so I can’t tell if that’s an oversight in the Bestiary entry, or if the writer of Dead Roads didn’t look carefully at the construct traits before building the skeletal horse.

Are there any other examples of bone chariots in official Pathfinder material? Not sure which way to go here.