PDA

View Full Version : building using mageslayer

xyamius
2022-06-11, 07:33 PM
Building using mage slayer. I have gotten tired using casters both arcane and divine and have done the op damage fighters so now i am playing around with odd ideas.

Here is a build i am working on and curious if there are any ideas of odd prc or feats that i may have missed. Looking for a fast healing/mage shut down bowling for ragnarok build due to that is the campaign it's in. No Dragon Magazine Allowed it must be from a 3.5 DND book.
Current build design:

1 Crusader/1 Barbarian/1 Duskblade/2 Fighter/5 Occult Slayer/10 Green Star Adept

Starting Race Human, Ending Race: Construct.

Core Feats: Combat Focus, Combat Vigor, Mage Slayer, Blind Fight, Pierce Magical Concealment, Weapon Focus, Improved initiative, Combat Casting.

Weapon Feat that i am thinking of: Exotic Weapon: Harpoon. And another Combat Feat.

Major flaws is low damage, feat starved, low reflex. It's still a fun build.

BAB = 15/10/5, Saves= 14/4/13, Caster level = (11-8) = net 3rd, spell slots = 6(0)/6(1st)/3(2nd)
Damage Reduction= 10/ Adamantine, Immunity to almost every non energy based effect, Ability to reflect twice per day two spells back at caster, heals in and out of combat in an anti-magic zone. Can cast those few spells it has in light armor, ignores spell and supernatural concealment.

Zaile
2022-06-12, 05:32 AM
I like it, but I see a glaring problem. Flight, specifically flight that works in antimagic fields. If you are going to change your type, consider a template with inherent flight. Spell Resistance may also be a good idea on this particular build. See here: https://d20.pub/assets/uploads/2018/06/DnD-3.5-Templates-Index.pdf

Since you have some TOB in there, I'd take Swordsage or Warblade over Crusader for increased maneuverability (shadow jaunt/blink) and access to the Diamon Mind save counters. I see the benefit to Cha to Will saves from Cursader too. Will be some bookkeeping, but you could dip all 3.

Take as many mundane levels before TOB classes to get higher IL for better maneuvers.

Spellthief gish with Abjurant Champion is another possible route. Master Spelltheif goes a long way and stealing prepared spells is much better than just countering them.

Another out the box idea is Dragonfire adept 6-8. The breath can eb useful since casters have bad Ref anyway. For invocations, pick 3 from Magic Insight, See the Unseen, Draconic flight (unless you get somewhere else), Voidsense, voracious dispelling. This class is normally bad for dipping, but in your case the invocations may be worth it.

I do not like green star adept. Too much investment for returns you can get as items/armor and the bad BAB.

Paragon
2022-06-12, 06:18 AM
Picking the crusader later opens up Thicket of Blade Wich synergizes well with Mageslayer and Pierce Magical Concealment. Especially if you get some way to enlarge yourself and well, pick the spiked chain in lieu of the harpoon for maximum threat range.

sleepyphoenixx
2022-06-12, 07:13 AM
You could play a warforged and drop the duskblade and GSA levels for more initiator levels for higher damage.
And maybe Witch Slayer to get Mettle, Slippery Mind and Momentary Disjunction.

I'll also second Paragon's suggestion of Thicket of Blades. Closing the 5ft step as an escape option is pretty huge if you want to keep mages in your threat range.
Using more crusader levels would also free up feats because you get healing from maneuvers.
You could also splash a level of Warblade at 9 or later to grab IHS and WRT.

Lastly if you're absolutely insistent on combining Mage Slayer with spellcasting of some form i'd like to suggest the Artificer - infusions are not affected by Mage Slayer's CL reduction since they're not spells or spell-like, the WF substitution levels are kinda neat for a meleeficer and Spell Storing Item and Personal Weapon Augmentation never become obsolete.

If all you're interest in is building around Mage Slayer you could also go for a stealthy rogue/swordsage build. Pick up Staggering Strike and maybe Throat Punch or one of the other ambush feats, Shadow Blade, Craven and go to town. Wild Cohort may also be useful to get a decent flanking buddy.

Biggus
2022-06-12, 07:52 AM
What is the purpose of Green Star Adept in this build? The only thing I can see it does that's of major use to a mage-slayer type is all the immunities at 10th level, which unless you're playing to epic you'll be able to enjoy for just one level, having been much weaker than you otherwise could be up to that point.

What does "bowling for ragnarok" mean?

Edit: also, you'll have a negative caster level, which depending on interpretation means you either can't cast spells at all or the ones you do have will be very weak.

Fero
2022-06-12, 08:50 AM
1 level of Ranger lets you take an ACF to get Arcane casters as a Favored enemy. The Nemesis feat then let's you pinpoint arcane casters, bypassing many defenses. Alternatively, scent or blindsight can do the same.

Mage Slayer combos well with Reach and/or difficult terrain to force casters to take AoO or not cast. High initiative and movement abilities are also critical so you can trap enemy casters in your AoO zone before they can act.

xyamius
2022-06-12, 06:43 PM
What is the purpose of Green Star Adept in this build? The only thing I can see it does that's of major use to a mage-slayer type is all the immunities at 10th level, which unless you're playing to epic you'll be able to enjoy for just one level, having been much weaker than you otherwise could be up to that point.

What does "bowling for ragnarok" mean?

Edit: also, you'll have a negative caster level, which depending on interpretation means you either can't cast spells at all or the ones you do have will be very weak.

Green Star adds 1:1 for caster level for PRC, along with Str increase, natural armor, it adds 5 to spell slot progress, ageless, 1 hp out of combat regeneration per hour when resting, immunity to anything that doesn't affect also objects and a few other.

Bowling for Ragnarok: We are playing vikings with the ending of the story being Ragnarok. The end of the world where we will be fighting through it until we die or everything else does too.

Caster level is ending at 3rd fully able to still cast 1st level and cantrips. I have played casters Arcane and Divine to death. This build with the crusader and tossing Blade of Blood into the mix multiple times a day as an example adds a nice little bump on damage multiple times a day.

Doctor Despair
2022-06-12, 07:05 PM
Building using mage slayer. I have gotten tired using casters both arcane and divine and have done the op damage fighters so now i am playing around with odd ideas.

Mage Slayer is neat, but just remember that you'll end up very niche; you're not going to shut down the mages that are over-prepared, and you'll be less effective against non-mages. However, you'll be a silver bullet against casual mages (which may be realistic for most mages in your setting, DM-dependent).

Immediately, you'll want to consider that Mage Slayer does nothing unless you get reach of some way. An extra 5 feet of reach is required if you want to stop them from just 5-foot stepping out of your threatened area and casting anyway. To get reach, you can use a weapon, be large, or use a feat like Deformity (Tall) or Inhuman Reach.

Here is a build i am working on and curious if there are any ideas of odd prc or feats that i may have missed. Looking for a fast healing/mage shut down bowling for ragnarok build due to that is the campaign it's in. No Dragon Magazine Allowed it must be from a 3.5 DND book.

If you want fast healing, the Feral template is an easy source of it, granting up to fast healing 10. I would caution you, however, that fast healing isn't as good as you'd expect at lower levels -- DR10 will do much more work in a single combat than Fast Healing 10, for example. If you're just trying to be a tanky beatstick, I'd suggest swapping to a DR template like Mineral Warrior (DR8/Adamantine). Of course, neither is something I'd suggest for an anti-caster character in good conscience. Mages have a lot of save-or-lose effects, or save-or-suck, or save-or-die. Basically, mages don't HAVE to deal damage to beat you. I'd say the best defense is a good offense if you're considering mage slayer.

Current build design:

1 Crusader/1 Barbarian/1 Duskblade/2 Fighter/5 Occult Slayer/10 Green Star Adept

Starting Race Human, Ending Race: Construct.

Core Feats: Combat Focus, Combat Vigor, Mage Slayer, Blind Fight, Pierce Magical Concealment, Weapon Focus, Improved initiative, Combat Casting.

Weapon Feat that i am thinking of: Exotic Weapon: Harpoon. And another Combat Feat.

Major flaws is low damage, feat starved, low reflex. It's still a fun build.

BAB = 15/10/5, Saves= 14/4/13, Caster level = (11-8) = net 3rd, spell slots = 6(0)/6(1st)/3(2nd)
Damage Reduction= 10/ Adamantine, Immunity to almost every non energy based effect, Ability to reflect twice per day two spells back at caster, heals in and out of combat in an anti-magic zone. Can cast those few spells it has in light armor, ignores spell and supernatural concealment.

I'd echo what I said above: focusing TOO much on defense is probably a trap in this instance. There will always be a hole in your defenses the DM can exploit if they want unless you are a tier-0 uber caster with paranoia beyond compare. As others have said: the opportunity cost of taking 10 levels of GSA is probably not worth the immunities you get, as there's always OTHER things you aren't immune to the DM can aim for instead.

Biggus
2022-06-12, 07:32 PM
Green Star adds 1:1 for caster level for PRC

So it does! Sorry, managed to miss that somehow. Still, unless you leave taking the Mage Slayer and PMC feats until very late you'll have a negative caster level most of the way.

Endarire
2022-06-12, 10:20 PM
My preferred use of Mage Slayer is on an animal companion who never gets a caster level.

Zaile
2022-06-14, 12:37 AM
1 level of Ranger lets you take an ACF to get Arcane casters as a Favored enemy. The Nemesis feat then let's you pinpoint arcane casters, bypassing many defenses. Alternatively, scent or blindsight can do the same.

Mage Slayer combos well with Reach and/or difficult terrain to force casters to take AoO or not cast. High initiative and movement abilities are also critical so you can trap enemy casters in your AoO zone before they can act.

Holy crap never knew that feat (Nemesis) existed! Second this with Arcane Hunter ACF, which works on literally anything that casts arcane spells or uses invocations, not just casters (like Dragons). Ranger would be a great 1st level too for skill points and no illiteracy.

Depending if you have the rolls/point buy to get at least 14 in STR, CON, DEX and WIS add Monk 2 so you can get Imp. Trip. Unarmed Swrodsage gets the AC bonus too, and in light armor, but not the bonus feats which you can get from Wolf Barb anyway.

32 BP gets you: 16, 14, 14, 14, 12, 8

Knockdown is another feat that is super easy to trigger.

Reach and tripping make for great control and adding TOB on top is gravy. Bloodstorm Blade adds a ranged aspect too so you can throw + maneuver + trip in one attack.

And never forget grappling.

As for build order, maybe:

Ranger 1 with Arcane Hunter & Trap Expert for scouting and to deal with those pesky magic traps
Barbarian 2 Spirit loin totem & Wolf totem at Barb 2
Fighter 2
Occult Slayer 1
Swordsage 1 teleport, counters, stance
Occult slayer 2 & 3
Warblade 1
Bloodstorm blade x
Occult slayer X

Really you could push Occult slayer til after 10, but I would take at least the first 2 levels once you are getting hit predicably by 3rd level spells.

I think the accepted rule is 4, 6 or 8 levels of non-imitator levels so when you take the first TOB class, you get 3rd level mauves.

xyamius
2022-06-15, 07:48 PM
The monk options are nice i contemplated those and the spiked chain also. I decided on the harpoon because:

Harpoon: Exotic Ranged Weapon (Considered also as a spear) Dmg 1d10 x2 Crit, Range 30.

If it deals damage it lodges itself into its opponent on a Reflex (DC 10+Damage Delt), A harpooned creature moves at 1/2 speed and can not run or charge. If the Harpooned creature attempts to cast a spell they must make a DC 15 concentration check to cast or lose the spell. A Harpooned creature can pull the weapon from itself if it has two free hands and takes a full round action to do this, but it takes damage equal to what it did when it was harpooned doing so.

The harpoon also has a 30' rope attached to it and if you succeed in an opposed strength check the creature can only move with in the limits the rope allows.

A character that succeeds on a DC 15 heal check can remove the harpoon without further damage.

It creates a lock down on most things during combat or at the minimum a slow effect for movement. Add a crystal to quickdraw a few and some team tactics and it can get interesting if not at least you have trailing ropes to nail down.

Darg
2022-06-17, 07:57 PM
The witch slayer PRC from ToM might be worth your perusal. You get mettle, slippery mind, and an at will swift action targeted AMF. It doesn't have any feat requirements.

xyamius
2022-06-18, 03:32 PM
The witch slayer PRC from ToM might be worth your perusal. You get mettle, slippery mind, and an at will swift action targeted AMF. It doesn't have any feat requirements.

Nice prc.

It's not that strong vs a full caster build but it does round out very strong vs SU creatures and it does give some very strong multi-tool options. Nice find!

Anthrowhale
2022-06-18, 10:27 PM
If you play a Warforged, then you can use Warforged Juggernaut to pick up tasty immunities in 5 levels instead of 10, freeing up 5 levels to do something else with.

In terms of damage, a Wild Cohort with the Double Team feat, 3 levels of rogue for the Lightbringer Penetrating Strike ACF, and the Craven feat provide nearly-always-on melee sneak attack out to reach.