PDA

View Full Version : Integrated armor and lycanthropy

Stryyke
2022-06-12, 09:49 AM
So there are a couple parts to this.

A) Does the natural armor bonus stack with integrated armor
B) Does the integrated armor stay integrated in alternate forms
C) If it doesn't, how long would transformation take, since it specifically says that donning or doffing armor takes 1 hour.

How would you rule these?

Damon_Tor
2022-06-12, 10:22 AM
What edition are you using?
To clarify, is this a Warforged infected with Lycanthropy?

JNAProductions
2022-06-12, 10:44 AM
What edition are you using?
To clarify, is this a Warforged infected with Lycanthropy?

This is in the 5th edition subforum, so presumably 5th. They might've posted in the wrong spot, though.

A) Generally no. Natural armor is, usually, "AC can be X+Dex Mod" where X is greater than 10. It doesn't stack with armor, unless it's specifically worded like a Shield is.

B) I'd say yes, but RAW is silent on this to my knowledge.

PhoenixPhyre
2022-06-12, 11:02 AM
This is in the 5th edition subforum, so presumably 5th. They might've posted in the wrong spot, though.

A) Generally no. Natural armor is, usually, "AC can be X+Dex Mod" where X is greater than 10. It doesn't stack with armor, unless it's specifically worded like a Shield is.

B) I'd say yes, but RAW is silent on this to my knowledge.

A) I'd actually say that most natural armor (for monsters anyway) is "AC is X". You can split that into some kind of formula where the natural armor is just the part other than the Dex mod, but there is no rules justification (or heck, even reason, lacking touch AC) to do so.

But I agree with the rest of everything.

JNAProductions
2022-06-12, 11:05 AM
A) I'd actually say that most natural armor (for monsters anyway) is "AC is X". You can split that into some kind of formula where the natural armor is just the part other than the Dex mod, but there is no rules justification (or heck, even reason, lacking touch AC) to do so.

But I agree with the rest of everything.

Good point. Player-facing natural armor is worded that way, but I guess monster is not.

Amnestic
2022-06-12, 11:12 AM
So there are a couple parts to this.

A) Does the natural armor bonus stack with integrated armor
B) Does the integrated armor stay integrated in alternate forms
C) If it doesn't, how long would transformation take, since it specifically says that donning or doffing armor takes 1 hour.

How would you rule these?

Any equipment it is wearing or carrying isn't transformed.
-Shapechanger feature for a werewolf.

What happens to armour when you transform while wearing it normally? I don't think it's ever stated. Probably deeply unpleasant though, especially for a larger lycanthrope like werebears or weretigers. Integrating the armour doesn't change that you're still considered to be wearing/carrying it.

Damon_Tor
2022-06-12, 11:25 AM
RAW: the lycanthrope AC bonus is listed as a "+1 bonus from natural armor" and not the normal "you can calculate your AC as 11+Dex mod" which means by RAW it should stack with other sources of AC, despite that not being how natural armor normally works.

The lycanthrope transformation action doesn't limit your racial traits or abilities in any way. A tortle would still have his shell in his alternate forms. A dragonborn would still have his breath weapon. And a Warforged would still have his global +1 to AC.

Less clear is what happens to integrated armor, and it seems the two abilities are in conflict: on the one hand, the lycan shapeshift is clear that equipment you are wearing is not transformed. On the other hand, the Warforged armor cannot be removed against their will and is integrated into their form.

My ruling, to keep the spirit of RAI, to keep with lore, and to reconcile RAW, is this: Integrated armor is not worn. It is a part of the warforged's body. As such, it does change shape when the lycan does, and is applied to his alternate forms.

This is a very high-powered, PC-favored ruling, and I'll acknowledge that. PC power wasn't a factor in the above ruling. PCs that get too strong should be challenged with higher CR threats and villains who adapt tactics, so I don't shy away from player-empowering rulings at my table. If you aren't a DM that can handle high powered PCs then don't allow them to be lycanthropes in the first place.