PDA

View Full Version : Goofy Setting Idea (Warning: contains Spiders)

werescythe
2022-06-12, 11:10 AM
In case you didn't read the title, this concept does talk about spiders, you've been warned.

So, a while back I looked into that myth about spiders crawling into peoples mouths at night. Yes, it is a myth, but during my research I read something that stated that to spiders, humans are just big, moving landmasses. As I thought about this, a weird setting idea/thought experiment came to mind.

What if you had a dnd setting when you have countries/continents on the back of giant spiders? And I won't lie, I'm considering the idea of expanding upon this concept.

So, my question is, does anyone have any thoughts of how such a setting might work? I have some ideas, but I am curious what others might think as well.

Millstone85
2022-06-12, 04:17 PM
The ecology of these spiders would drive world events:

What are the spiders walking on and how often do they move relatively to each other?
What do the spiders eat and has one ever been known to have died of disease or age?
Do the spiders ever attempt to clean their backs or do they need continents somehow?
And in a very Pratchett fashion, what happens to the continents when the spiders mate?

Maybe the continents serve as gardens to raise their youngs, which hatch as Tiny spiders before becoming Small, Medium, Large, Huge, Gargantuan and beyond. History is full of migrations from dying "continental" spiders to younger "insular" spiders. It is known that male spiders never go beyond the "insular" phase, and that the arrival of one heralds both a culture shock (with civilizations on the male spider) and a floud of new hatchlings that are both a threat to civilizations and necessary for their survival.

werescythe
2022-06-12, 04:48 PM
The ecology of these spiders would drive world events:

What are the spiders walking on and how often do they move relatively to each other?
What do the spiders eat and has one ever been known to have died of disease or age?
Do the spiders ever attempt to clean their backs or do they need continents somehow?
And in a very Pratchett fashion, what happens to the continents when the spiders mate?

Those are some good points. A part of me feels that perhaps the world might feel like the Grounded game, where the world the spiders walk on, resembles what you might see if you were at the size of a spider (though I might try to combine some star/space themed elements to make it feel unique).

As for what they eat, maybe other giant, monstrous insects or animals. I don't have an answer for what happens when one dies from age or disease, but I'll definitely be thinking about it.

One thought I had considered is that there might be a sort of symbiotic relationship between the spiders and the humanoids that reside on them. By living on the spiders these civilizations are less concerned about the other monstrosities and in exchange they take care of the spider's (in the case of the spider being female) eggs.

While there might be some other religions among the civilizations on the back of these spiders, there will always be one that worships the spider they ride upon and often times this will be the main religion on the spider's back. Because of this, these spiders have gained some form of divine power and as such can give their followers power (either as a deity for clerics or a patron for warlocks).

There also might be some sort of magical aura/atmosphere on the spider's back, that minimizes the effects of the spider's movements on the civilizations on its back (occasionally there's an "earthquake").

Maybe the continents serve as gardens to raise their youngs, which hatch as Tiny spiders before becoming Small, Medium, Large, Huge, Gargantuan and beyond. History is full of migrations from dying "continental" spiders to younger "insular" spiders. It is known that male spiders never go beyond the "insular" phase, and that the arrival of one heralds both a culture shock (with civilizations on the male spider) and a flood of new hatchlings that are both a threat to civilizations and necessary for their survival.

I love the idea you offered in regards to the gardens and the spider sizes (as you could probably guess by what I said above.

While I can see how a flood of new hatchlings can offer a threat to civilizations on the spiders' backs, I am curious as to your thoughts on how they might be necessary for their survival. :smallsmile:

Millstone85
2022-06-12, 05:13 PM
While I can see how a flood of new hatchlings can offer a threat to civilizations on the spiders' backs, I am curious as to your thoughts on how they might be necessary for their survival. :smallsmile:Ah but I already answered that question. :smallwink:

History is full of migrations from dying "continental" spiders to younger "insular" spiders.People will eventually have to leave the mother spider, but that only works if there are offsprings to settle on.

And that might fuel a campaign's main conflict. There is a faction that wants to kill an approaching male spider so it can not mate and cause the female spider to lay eggs by the billions. They do so for the sake of present people, but their plan will doom future generations of humanoids.

werescythe
2022-06-12, 05:22 PM
Ah but I already answered that question. :smallwink:

People will eventually have to leave the mother spider, but that only works if there are offsprings to settle on.

And that might fuel a campaign's main conflict. There is a faction that wants to kill an approaching male spider so it can not mate and cause the female spider to lay eggs by the billions. They do so for the sake of present people, but their plan will doom future generations of humanoids.

I suppose that works. I just wasn't sure if perhaps you were thinking along a resource mindset or had something else in mind.

Perhaps there are special spiders (probably after they reach medium size) among the offspring that can become the equivalent of a demigod and as such, having one as a compatriot could come with divine/social benefits.

Millstone85
2022-06-12, 05:41 PM
While there might be some other religions among the civilizations on the back of these spiders, there will always be one that worships the spider they ride upon and often times this will be the main religion on the spider's back. Because of this, these spiders have gained some form of divine power and as such can give their followers power (either as a deity for clerics or a patron for warlocks).
Perhaps there are special spiders (probably after they reach medium size) among the offspring that can become the equivalent of a demigod and as such, having one as a compatriot could come with divine/social benefits.What makes these special could just be their willingness to cooperate with their humanoid neighbors in some fashion which, combined with the mother-spider religion, eventually results in them being regarded as local deities.

I don't know if you have read or watched So I'm a Spider, So What? but something similar happens at one point.

werescythe
2022-06-12, 06:04 PM
What makes these special could just be their willingness to cooperate with their humanoid neighbors in some fashion which, combined with the mother-spider religion, eventually results in them being regarded as local deities.

Makes sense. I like it. :smallsmile:

I don't know if you have read or watched So I'm a Spider, So What? but something similar happens at one point.

I've watched a little bit, but I don't think I've gotten that far yet.

I may try to homebrew a cleric and warlock subclass around the spider theme (I did create a Subjugation Domain a while back so that might already work for the cleric).

Not too sure how civilizations may interact/trade with civilizations on other spiders. One idea is that there might be special teleportation circles, that can link to the circles on nearby spiders (perhaps this knowledge stems from an ancestral civilization). Otherwise maybe they use airships.

Another thought is that perhaps some sort of supernatural storm/force might make it difficult for humanoids let alone cultures survive on the normal ground. Because of this capital punishment on most spiders is exile.

Millstone85
2022-06-12, 06:36 PM
I've watched a little bit, but I don't think I've gotten that far yet.If you want a good laugh, and don't care about major spoilers, here are the two relevant scenes:

Kumoko's first miracle. (https://youtu.be/qPQQq0snWTU)
So she's a shrine spider. (https://youtu.be/MT2_yuIkUOo)

Not too sure how civilizations may interact/trade with civilizations on other spiders. One idea is that there might be special teleportation circles, that can link to the circles on nearby spiders (perhaps this knowledge stems from an ancestral civilization). Otherwise maybe they use airships.Sounds good. I was picturing the civilizations as only being able to meet when their spiders meet, but they would still need some way to hop from one to another.

You know, I read once that Pratchett had planned and abandonned a War of the Worlds parody where the great turtle A'Tuin would meet some other cosmic beast with a world on its back.

werescythe
2022-06-12, 09:01 PM
If you want a good laugh, and don't care about major spoilers, here are the two relevant scenes:

Kumoko's first miracle. (https://youtu.be/qPQQq0snWTU)
So she's a shrine spider. (https://youtu.be/MT2_yuIkUOo)

Sounds good. I was picturing the civilizations as only being able to meet when their spiders meet, but they would still need some way to hop from one to another.

You know, I read once that Pratchett had planned and abandonned a War of the Worlds parody where the great turtle A'Tuin would meet some other cosmic beast with a world on its back.

Well, I've been enjoying the show so far, so I'll hold off on spoiling it for myself.

But I definitely like the idea of each spider land having its own spider pantheon with those that survive to be medium sized, being revered as demigods and having their own shrines and powers (given to them by the humanoids faith in them).

I also kind of like the idea that maybe some drow (in this setting) feel a calling to serve either the continental spider or her divine offspring.

Millstone85
2022-06-13, 06:24 AM
I sure hope people aren't now mistaking this thread for a private conversation. :smallamused:

But I definitely like the idea of each spider land having its own spider pantheon with those that survive to be medium sized, being revered as demigods and having their own shrines and powers (given to them by the humanoids faith in them).There could also be religious beliefs pertaining to the world as a whole, likely involving an immortal arachnid allmother.

In fact...
I also kind of like the idea that maybe some drow (in this setting) feel a calling to serve either the continental spider or her divine offspring. I would go ahead and say this world was created by none other than Araushnee, some time before she became Lolth, and would have long got absorbed into the Demonweb Pits if not for the intervention of Eilistraee and other gods.

Batcathat
2022-06-13, 06:38 AM
Not too sure how civilizations may interact/trade with civilizations on other spiders. One idea is that there might be special teleportation circles, that can link to the circles on nearby spiders (perhaps this knowledge stems from an ancestral civilization). Otherwise maybe they use airships.

Maybe the smaller spiders are spinning webs between the larger spiders? Travelling along a giant cobweb sounds kind of fascinating, in a slightly disturbing way. For added action, maybe the webs are for catching the equivalent of flies? Which would translate to giant monsters for the traveling people.

Droodicus
2022-06-13, 07:19 AM
The more stable civilisations could be built on the backs of the she-spiders. Who live in cavernous burrows surrounded by webs. Gives you an inconsistent light/dark cycle to play with as they emerge to collect dinner. Also explains why they're on the spiders, the ground is so smothered in old webbing it's not a safe place at all due to smaller spiders and other gribblies. Web hunters can also hunt slower so less seismic upheaval leading to bigger more stable city states.

Male spiders could be far smaller and active hunters rather than web spinners. Nomadic raiders use their mating desires to track down and raid the larger cities. This is where caves come in, they can drive the males upside down above the females and rappel or parachute (spider silk webs) onto the females. There is always the risk of your getaway spider being eaten while you pillage to make it more fun.

Hatchlings could be the ones who spin nets of webs and hangglide off to new places. Maybe there's a science based around predicting wind patterns and using the babies to trade, just strap a few barrels or crates to each and send them off. Trading could then be cyclical based on the seasons airflow and when hatching happen. Could lead to flood/famine conflicts and events.

I wouldn't tie the spiders into divine worship but treat them more as just an acknowledged mundane part of the world. Maybe a much reduced pantheon as not every God was suitable for the new way of life and got left behind.

Fun adventures could be racing to secure/harvest parts of the spiders prey before it drains them dry, this could be where they get meat/blood or animal parts for construction.
Obviously defending your spider/raiding others. Could extend to protecting the egg sacs from smaller predators so your city has a viable trading season.
Your spider is sick, is that internal parasites? Uhoh better get on inside and see what's happening.
Venturing below the Web layer into the world that was for ...whatever really.... but it's dark and dank and who knows what monstrous twisted things survive in the eternal gloom.
Your spider is dying, do you overthrow another city or try to make a deal to save your people before the spider collapses and leaves you all stranded.
You're losing contact with other spider cities at an alarming rate. What could possibly be wiping out spiders bigger than Australia?

animorte
2022-06-13, 11:38 AM
Maybe a much reduced pantheon as not every God was suitable for the new way of life and got left behind.
I got some very American Gods vibes here. Good stuff.

This thread has been such an interesting read and all of the ideas coming together have given me some wonderful thoughts. Thank you all!

I have a little addition myself, nothing that’s nearly impressive as everything here but: Are the communities even aware that they are living on spiders? I’m sure most of them likely would be, but this could be a realistic assumption depending on how often that particular spider moves, and how much. If it’s not a very common thing, some could easily assume an earthquake. This could cause some issues when another spider does come nearby and other communities try to get in contact with the locals. (Trade, exploration, etc.)

Joe the Rat
2022-06-13, 12:43 PM
I'm getting a little bit of a Mortal Engines feel - not so much in the Municipal Darwinism as City/State/Nations roving the a wasteland. With the spider life cycle, it's actually kind of an inverse - increasing "lands". Though unless eventual saturation is a future plan, something has to be having an impact here - something that could kill or harm them.

Something that seems essential is that in spite of the weirdness and problems of living on a spider, it's better than the alternative. A webworld would certainly be problematic if you can't navigate the different strands. A continent-sized spider could be dropping threads hundreds of feet thick. It could also be straight-up desert or badlands, where there are few humanoid-usable resources, and possibly other critters on the titanospider scale that would annihilate settlements.

And now I'm really locked on a webworld model - the entire world is webs all the way down. Possibly hiding or imprisoning something. The worldspiders maintain the webs, and eat whatever happens to try and attack the webs.

I would suggest some sort of airship for interspider travel.

werescythe
2022-06-18, 06:41 PM
I'm getting a little bit of a Mortal Engines feel - not so much in the Municipal Darwinism as City/State/Nations roving the a wasteland. With the spider life cycle, it's actually kind of an inverse - increasing "lands". Though unless eventual saturation is a future plan, something has to be having an impact here - something that could kill or harm them.

Something that seems essential is that in spite of the weirdness and problems of living on a spider, it's better than the alternative. A webworld would certainly be problematic if you can't navigate the different strands. A continent-sized spider could be dropping threads hundreds of feet thick. It could also be straight-up desert or badlands, where there are few humanoid-usable resources, and possibly other critters on the titanospider scale that would annihilate settlements.

And now I'm really locked on a webworld model - the entire world is webs all the way down. Possibly hiding or imprisoning something. The worldspiders maintain the webs, and eat whatever happens to try and attack the webs.

I would suggest some sort of airship for interspider travel.

Yeah, I kind of like that idea.

One thought I had was that perhaps the planet was nearly destroyed and now it is the continent spiders' webbing that is holding the planet together (and perhaps imprisoning the entity that nearly destroyed the planet within).

I also came up with an idea for a feat that could fit the setting.

Spider Whisperer

Increase your Charisma, Intelligence or Wisdom by 1 to a maximum of 20.
You now know the Animal Friendship and the Beast Bond (from Xanathar's Guide to Everything) spells, which you can cast without spell slots, but can only target spiders. These spells use the ability you increased with this feat.